PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

SCEA boss: Production yields are phenomenal

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style

While Microsoft are allegedly struggling to keep up with the demand for the Xbox One, Sony are claiming to be in a “phenomenal” position. Although avoiding giving any specific figures, SCEA CEO Jack Tretton spoke to Fox News regarding Sony’s preparation for the launch of their next-gen console, and how they are handling supplying to the incredible demand.
    Describing production yields as “phenomenal”, Tretton explained how huge the launch of the PS4 is going to be:
    We want to make sure that consumers have an opportunity to buy one on November 15th, and through the holidays, so we’re holding back some inventory… The production yield has been phenomenal, so this will be, by a magnitude, of a lot, the biggest launch we’ve ever had.
    It looks like Sony are ready to rumble. With the huge demand needing a huge supply, let’s hope that they pull it off in style.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    That's incredible! They must have great yields if they are holding back on some units even though they have a f-load of preorders already! Hopefully we won't be seeing the PS4 on eBay for $1000 and everyone that wants one this holiday will be able to get a hold of one! November 15th can't get here fast enough!!!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Yeah, I think they're going to try to keep the shelves stocked as well as they can this time as well, to try and avoid people picking XB1 simply because it was available.

They still will have a solid Month and a half to ship units w/ production in full swing. When MS was only able to get 400K 360's out on launch day, the managed another 1.1M before end of the year.

We know that Sony will have at least 1M at launch in just pre-orders available (assuming no manufacturing issues which it doesn't sound like there will be since there's no waffling.) I think they could easily sell 3M for the holiday season.

Here's to hoping they have 1.5M available at launch and another 1.5M before the end of the year.

If they manage this, I don't think we'll see near the eBay explosion that was seen on last gen.

Veteran
    This is great news, I'm sure there still will be some resellers out there trying to rip people off but if people are smart enough they'll know there will be plenty of stock not far from the launch date itself and can wait it out instead of recurring to those $1000 PS4 which I can already foresee.

But hey as long as I get my PS4 on launch day I'm happy.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    This is great news, I'm sure there still will be some resellers out there trying to rip people off but if people are smart enough they'll know there will be plenty of stock not far from the launch date itself and can wait it out instead of recurring to those $1000 PS4 which I can already foresee.
    Yea. I'm ashamed of being human. I can't believe people pay those retarded prices.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Nobody should be surprised by this, there is nothing exotic in the system, the chips are proven tech from one of the worlds biggest CPU manufacturers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

8. Likes Jabjabs likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    Great news for sure. Then again, it should be easy to produce with off the shelf parts. This just means there will be NO problem getting my Day One PS4. FOOK yeah.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Great news for sure. Then again, it should be easy to produce with off the shelf parts. This just means there will be NO problem getting my Day One PS4. FOOK yeah.
    just goes to question where the other guys get their parts from, yeah?
    http://www.psu.com/a020954/PS4-is-th...says-Sony-SVP-
    they doing something right at least

easy to produce and significantly better quality will bring no complaints me thinks.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

11. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    just goes to question where the other guys get their parts from, yeah? http://www.psu.com/a020954/PS4-is-th...says-Sony-SVP- they doing something right at least easy to produce and significantly better quality will bring no complaints me thinks.
    Very true. http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/28/ps4-...-has-produced/

"Here are the hand operating things" Best description ive heard so far of the new controller , she's obviously a massive ps4 fan

14. Likes TEST SUBJECT 83 likes this post
    Master Guru
    Jack Tretton's a boss. Sony will deliver with the PS4.

Superior Member

Releasing two weeks before black friday it was clear Sony had a plan to meet preorders and then have enough time to get more consoles on the shelf for black friday. Think about it. MS likely will be sold out when you go into the store on black friday because it launches only a week before...that would be tough to reconstitute the shelves. Sony will have two weeks to get more consoles in the channel and into the black friday ads and at least have a few in the big box stores for promotions. We've seen the pictures...we know the numbers...we know the dates....I still think they will sell out everywhere but I think they want to have a big marketing/retail presence come Christmas.

Veteran
    I really hope the PS4 is in huge demand! I dont want to see any on the shelf come mid December!!!
    Forza 5, Fifa 14, Battlefield 4 & Watchdogs - The Perfect Launch Line Up!

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by davin_g View Post
    Releasing two weeks before black friday it was clear Sony had a plan to meet preorders and then have enough time to get more consoles on the shelf for black friday. Think about it. MS likely will be sold out when you go into the store on black friday because it launches only a week before...that would be tough to reconstitute the shelves. Sony will have two weeks to get more consoles in the channel and into the black friday ads and at least have a few in the big box stores for promotions. We've seen the pictures...we know the numbers...we know the dates....I still think they will sell out everywhere but I think they want to have a big marketing/retail presence come Christmas.
    I doubt it.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    it should be easy to produce with off the shelf parts.
    I don't think the parts in PS4 are very 'off-the-shelf' oriented.

Cerny did a huge writeup months back which goes into detail on how they addressed bottlenecks you find in your everyday PC hardware and how they customised it all to get the most performance from it.

Link - http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...k_.php?print=1

As you can see from the link above the PS4 had huge amounts of customisations made, they even went as far to integrate the structure of Cell into the PS4 hardware, which even without mentioning 8GDDR5 memory sharing for GPU and CPU (which has never been done before) is huge.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    I don't think the parts in PS4 are very 'off-the-shelf' oriented.

Cerny did a huge writeup months back which goes into detail on how they addressed bottlenecks you find in your everyday PC hardware and how they customised it all to get the most performance from it.

Link - http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...k_.php?print=1

As you can see from the link above the PS4 had huge amounts of customisations made, they even went as far to integrate the structure of Cell into the PS4 hardware, which even without mentioning 8GDDR5 memory sharing for GPU and CPU (which has never been done before) is huge.
    I wouldn't call it a huge amount of customisation. And the memory sharing between cpu and gpu has been done for sometime. Its dna is 95% AMD APU.

I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    im going to get in trouble for saying this, oh well, ive had a terrible week i need to laugh....

does the ps4 have da cloudz???

Apprentice

More powerful than Xbox One, and better yields.

That's pretty impressive work Sony.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I wouldn't call it a huge amount of customisation. And the memory sharing between cpu and gpu has been done for sometime. Its dna is 95% AMD APU.

Meant to say that memory sharing has been done before but not with those specs.
    But anyways more emphasis on the Cell thing

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by PottSie2 View Post
    More powerful than Xbox One, and better yields.

That's pretty impressive work Sony.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4
    More powerful, yes. Better yields? Nobody knows that.

That's basically it. It's a laptop CPU with a slightly faster GPU essentially. I would guess the RAM would be a bigger issue and even then only just.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Yup. Thanks Mynd.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Well, either way I think this is good information; mainly because some were concerned about the heating issue due to the size of the box and the contents that it sports.

Ultimate Veteran
    I'm sorry. What was that about shelf parts?
    http://techreport.com/news/24725/ps4...-amd-processor

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
    Well, either way I think this is good information; mainly because some were concerned about the heating issue due to the size of the box and the contents that it sports.
    I wasn't ever worried about heating. I have never had a Sony product overheat on me.

Thread Information