Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    No. It isn't just Edge talking about this.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674213
    Slaystation 4!

Friendship is Carrots
    At least the spin of, "The Xbox One is only 33% weaker!" has finally died off.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Eventually, the third parties will have to compete with each other for sales over each others franchises. Sandbagging graphics won't be for too long, especially if XBone unit sales start lagging behind PS4 significantly.
    I'm hoping some developers will buckle up and exploit both consoles for what they have. If the difference here really is around 50% then multiplatforms will be taking several seats behind the exclusives, and that won't look good for their games on the PS4.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    wow...I am truly speechless. I am really shocked by this mainly because it was so blunt, straight forward and to the point.

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    Meh. Truth be told, I rarely get multiplatform games anyway, at least I never do for the the typical EA/Acti/Ubi offerings.

So I won't have much reason to notice these differences and/or enforced political parities anyway.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Don't worry, the cloud is going to make everything all better

6. Likes Shingo , Lefein likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    Quite honestly this really should come as no surprise to anybody at this point. We can throw around all of the 'unique' scenarios that might put Xbox One ahead of PS4 in unique circumstances relating to its slightly increased (56Mhz) throughput and ESRAM techniques or slight CPU advantage but.. At the end of the day it's simply weaker tech.
    good luck convincing some people of this though....

Veteran
    I called third party gimping PS4 titles a while ago.

*Looks for Sufi*

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    The only reason to make one version substantially better then another from a business point of view is if one console has a better royalty rate where the dev would make more money per copy on that platform than the other. Otherwise you are just putting more money into the budget of the game to make it better, but not getting anymore money per copy out of it.

You basically have the same amount of people that are gonna buy a certain game. It's merely what platform are they gonna buy it on....
    This argument is some what true, but only if you ignore the aspect of game companies also competing with each other for our attention and money. To be competitive they would all be striving to be the best. Best graphics, sound, game play, unique features etc to put them ahead of the competition. There is the possibility of selling more games because a) its the better version ( which agrees with your position) but also b) because its also better than another companies game that did play to platform weaknesses rather than strengths.

Actually might have to disagree with you more using that royalty rate as a reason, unless you have some good numbers to back up that position. As we have seen through the current gen is, a single platform is targeted ( chances are the one that will provide the better performance), with the other platforms pulled up to that level as close as possible. I would hazard a guess that it is very rarely the other way around ie, weaker platform targeted with the more powerful ones left with processing resources.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Visuals mostly affect hardcores, and hardcores gave their decision ages ago, on E3. So this won't change much.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Can we keep this thread clean of trolling/baiting?

33x

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

12. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    This is pretty big news

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    Can we keep this thread clean of trolling/baiting?

33x
    I always read your sign off as having a kiss at the end.

x

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

15. Likes 33x likes this post
    Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by darky89 View Post
    I always read your sign off as having a kiss at the end.

x
    I love everyone. Xxxx

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

17. Likes Admartian , darky89 likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauldron View Post
    I called third party gimping PS4 titles a while ago.

*Looks for Sufi*

so did many on console parity bull$#@!! thats why i'm leaning towards first party.

people waiting on mp titles to show which console is more powerful is el oh el worthy because that will never happen unless the devs have the balls to utilize both consoles without holding back....in which case the xb1 game will come out looking considerably worse than the ps4 version

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    this part disheartened me

given how both are now comparable to PC's (architecturally) you'd assume it wouldn't be too hard to let one run a higher screen or texture res.

that being said, the PS3 was routinely run at sub-HD this gen by multiplat developers.

so i imagine something similar to carry on, except with reversed roles
    We already knew this unfortunately though, regardless of the PS4 being more powerful than XBone we shouldn't expect better looking games on 3rd party games. Tbh I don't know why should a developer compromise on graphics just so they not differ one from each other, that's like making the PC version look $#@!ty just because it looks $#@!ty on consoles.

Veteran
    Let us review the facts.

Sony didn't request their FCC testing to be kept secret.

The test results for the PS4 show a maximum clock frequency of 2.75GHz. This is not a Wifi frequency since the test results show the Wifi frequencies directly below and separate from the maximum clock frequency. This indicates a CPU frequency upclocked from the standard 2GHz clock of the production Jaguar.

MS did request the FCC to keep their test results secret. Recent news straight from MS shows the XBone is using a devkit Jaguar CPU with a 1.6GHz standard clock, recently upclocked to 1.75GHz. This came at a cost of increased power consumption and heat increase, as confirmed by MS.

What this means is the XBone can't upclock the CPU further. The Sony FCC results indicate they went in with an upclocked CPU frequency and has that capability at the power consumption levels from the testing.

For the PS4, the CPU, the GPU and the RAM are all much faster than the XBone. A bunch of devs have essentially confirmed this. Of course, the motivation for MS to continually deny this is obvious, using words to make hardware appear more powerful than it is. TGS is the red line in the sand.

Last edited by Bligmerk; 09-13-2013 at 16:52.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

21. Likes victorijapoosp , Demi_God likes this post
    Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I'll be buying 3rd party titles used if it seems that they are indeed purposely cutting the quality of the ps4 version. It's not Sony fault that the xbone is weaker just as it wasn't MS fault that the ps3 was a pain in the ass to develop for.

"We don't want to ruffle feathers" Get the $#@! out of here. MS isn't going to turn down any of these big titles regardless of the difference graphically/performance-wise. Those people will only resort to buying a ps4 to play their fifa's/cod's/any other big 3rd party titles if MS tried to give the middle finger and not release those titles on the xbone due to differences in quality. No sales would be lost.

23. Likes victorijapoosp likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    More tidbits:

[/FONT](by Peter Bartholow - CEO of Lab Zero Games - Guys who made Skullgirls)
    oh $#@!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    Let us review the facts.

The test results for the PS4 show a maximum clock frequency of 2.75GHz. This is not a Wifi frequency since the test results show the Wifi frequencies directly below and separate from the maximum clock frequency. This indicates a CPU frequency upclocked from the standard 2GHz clock of the production Jaguar.

MS did request the FCC to keep their test results secret. Recent news straight from MS shows the XBone is using a devkit Jaguar CPU with a 1.6GHz standard clock, recently upclocked to 1.75GHz. This came at a cost of increased power consumption and heat increase, as confirmed by MS.

What this means is the XBone can't upclock the CPU further. The Sony FCC results indicate they went in with an upclocked CPU frequency and has that capability at the power consumption levels from the testing.

For the PS4, the CPU, the GPU and the RAM are all much faster than the XBone. A bunch of devs have essentially confirmed this. Of course, the motivation for MS to continually deny this is obvious, using words to make hardware appear more powerful than it is. TGS is the red line in the sand.

oh shiiiiiiiiit!

I TOLD people 'castration' will happen I TOLD people and someone called me delusional. I hope it doesn't and as we go through the years it will stop as Lefein pointed it out, third parties don't want inferior games to first parties

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    I don't see why 3rd parties would care if their games are technically worse than 1st parties.

So long as they are stable in performance (such that they don't get backlash) and most importantly sell well, I really doubt EA or Activision give two $#@!s about how hard they are pushing the hardware.

Never put your faith in big gaming publishers.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    well when uncharted 2 dropped, a lot of devs started aiming to top it so i think competition from first party games will get 3rd party devs to atleast put up some fight

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    I can see the likes of CD Projekt Red caring a lot, but not many developers have their kind of integrity.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    We are all thinking it so why not:

29. Likes Admartian likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    Let us review the facts.

No, this has nothing to do with the CPU. It simply measures what the highest frequency generated by the machine is- and that would be the GDDR5 ram. The RAM is clocked at 2.75Ghz.

31. Likes John Willaford likes this post
    Master Poster
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    We are all thinking it so why not:

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Wow. Big news but not surprising. I expect 3rd party to cater to the lowest denominator (X1) and port to the higher (PS4). Its the 1st party games that will reveal the gap and allow the PS4 to stretch its legs. 3rd party doesn't care about being inferior to 1st party, they only care about maximum profit and sales with minimum effort and investment. Once in a awhile you might see a 3rd party developer utilise the PS4 hardware a little more but that will be the exception not the rule. The only way that would change is if PS4 sales got ahead of X1 sales by a big margin. Anyway the truth was bound to come out sooner or later despite MS PR spin doctoring. I suspect we'll hear even more of this after these consoles are released.

Thread Information