Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 8 1 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member
    Items User name style

Edge: PlayStation 4 is currently around 50 per cent faster than its rival Xbox One.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/powe...e-performance/

PlayStation 4 is currently around 50 per cent faster than its rival Xbox One. Multiple high-level game development sources have described the difference in performance between the consoles as “significant” and “obvious.”

Our contacts have told us that memory reads on PS4 are 40-50 per cent quicker than Xbox One, and its ALU (Arithmetic Logic Unit) is around 50 per cent faster. One basic example we were given suggested that without optimisation for either console, a platform-agnostic development build can run at around 30FPS in 1920×1080 on PS4, but it’ll run at “20-something” FPS in 1600×900 on Xbox One. “Xbox One is weaker and it’s a pain to use its ESRAM,” concluded one developer.

Microsoft is aware of the problem and, having recently upped the clock speed of Xbox One, is working hard to close the gap on PS4, though one developer we spoke to downplayed the move. “The clock speed update is not significant, it does not change things that much,” he said. “Of course, something is better than nothing.”

Last edited by victorijapoosp; 09-13-2013 at 12:53.

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

2. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Super Elite
    Wow, I didnt think the difference was that much if true.

That is significant.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    this part disheartened me

One source even suggested that enforcing parity across consoles could become a political issue between platform holders, developers and publishers. They said that it could damage perceptions of a cross platform title, not to mention Xbox One, if the PS4 version shipped with an obviously superior resolution and framerate; better to “castrate” the PS4 version and release near-identical games to avoid ruffling any feathers.
    given how both are now comparable to PC's (architecturally) you'd assume it wouldn't be too hard to let one run a higher screen or texture res.

that being said, the PS3 was routinely run at sub-HD this gen by multiplat developers.

so i imagine something similar to carry on, except with reversed roles
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    I'd say the PS4 exclusives will be on another level!

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Super Elite
    Its a good thing for me that i usually buy exclusives but that really sucks for console gaming in general.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    As long as the games are awesome, I don't care about the "power" mumbojumbo.

8. Likes DarkVincent07, Acid Snake , 33x , BBK.. likes this post
    PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    this part disheartened me

given how both are now comparable to PC's (architecturally) you'd assume it wouldn't be too hard to let one run a higher screen or texture res.

that being said, the PS3 was routinely run at sub-HD this gen by multiplat developers.

so i imagine something similar to carry on, except with reversed roles
    This has been my concern for a while. I have stayed out of all the spec comparisons since that is not my area of expertise, but say all the reports are true that the PS4 is superior in hardware, are the devs actually going to showcase that with their games? Microsoft has spent a lot of money to build relationships with developers and earned timed exclusives and other perks. How will Microsoft react if a multiplat is released and the PS4 looks significantly better? I'm just wondering how much power Microsoft has in all this. Can Microsoft influence developers enough to dumb down the PS4 version so there is no noticeable difference? I am hoping devs use every bit of power that each console provides and let consumers decide for themselves, but somehow I am afraid it will not be that easy.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    it does bode well for playstation though.

One source even suggested that enforcing parity across consoles could become a political issue between platform holders, developers and publishers. They said that it could damage perceptions of a cross platform title, not to mention Xbox One, if the PS4 version shipped with an obviously superior resolution and framerate; better to “castrate” the PS4 version and release near-identical games to avoid ruffling any feathers.
    wonder how perceptions will be damaged when their titles are being held up against the best from Sony's first parties

its all fluff to appease people, i say. no need for devs to burn bridges this early.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

11. Likes victorijapoosp likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Quite honestly this really should come as no surprise to anybody at this point. We can throw around all of the 'unique' scenarios that might put Xbox One ahead of PS4 in unique circumstances relating to its slightly increased (56Mhz) throughput and ESRAM techniques or slight CPU advantage but.. At the end of the day it's simply weaker tech.
    Awesome techno and dubstep! Visit: http://Solkrieg.com
    Latest Song: Lady GaGa's Monster Dubstep!

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    When/if the install base shifts away from the even spread this gen in favour of the PS4 ie 70/30 split. That is when we will see multiplat devs putting extra effort into the PS4 version.

But I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to run a "Dollars for visual parity" scheme, in order to gimp the PS4 version. But then this gen on PS3, I prefered Sony first party titles such as Uncharted, God of War, The last of us, Killzone, Infamous, Little big planet, Heavenly Sword, Gran Turismo, Journey, Flower, Motorstorm, Puppeteer, Warhawk, unfinished swan, Ratchet & Clank etc anyway.

So I will have plenty of first party games to occupy myself, while the install base shifts and multiplatform devs realise that they could probably make more money by optimising their game to look as good as possible on PS4, therefore competing visually vs Sony first party titles than losing money from the bribery or political problems from MS.
    Last edited by victorijapoosp; 09-13-2013 at 13:34.

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

14. Likes Shingo , darky89 likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    So the PS4 CPU is 2.6ghz?

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Well, this time around, even if the playstation version of multi-plat games aren't going to be substantially better, they will be at least the better version.. looks like there's no chance of getting an inferior port this time around. And then there are exclusives, which of course will shine.

And I believe this might happen too.

Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    When/if the install base shifts away from the even spread this gen in favour of the PS4 ie 70/30 split. That is when we will see multiplat devs putting extra effort into the PS4 version.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    But I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to run a "Dollars for visual parity" scheme, in order to gimp the PS4 version. But then this gen on PS3, I prefered Sony first party titles such as Uncharted, God of War, The last of us, Killzone, Infamous, Little big planet, Heavenly Sword, Gran Turismo, Journey, Flower, Motorstorm, Puppeteer, Warhawk, unfinished swan, Ratchet & Clank etc anyway.
    that is when you know they are going to be in the ****. If they start doing that it's time to hire more competent people to run that company because that is nothing more than what they were doing this gen and it certain bit them in the ass. Mainly because it's a waste of money when that money could be used to strengthen their 1st party developments and to buy certain ip's.

Ultimate Veteran
    Eventually, the third parties will have to compete with each other for sales over each others franchises. Sandbagging graphics won't be for too long, especially if XBone unit sales start lagging behind PS4 significantly.
    Who would have thought building a solid product that serves your customer's needs would beat out money, marketing, hype, and greed.

Ancient
    MS has no power over PS4 versions of a game, Sony wouldn't allow it, same with MS wouldn't either.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

PSU Technical Advisor
    More tidbits:

This is anecdotal from E3, but...

I've heard the architecture with the ESRAM is actually a major hurdle in development because you need to manually fill and flush it.

So unless MS's APIs have improved to the point that this is essentially automatic, the bandwidth and hardware speed are probably irrelevant.

For reference, the story going around E3 went something like this:

"ATVI was doing the CoD: Ghosts port to nextgen. It took three weeks for PS4 and came out at 90 FPS unoptimized, and four months on Xbone and came out at 15 FPS."

(by Peter Bartholow - CEO of Lab Zero Games - Guys who made Skullgirls)

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    If that's true...Ouch! But if that Xbox One version was optimized they could still make it 60fps. But that just shows more loops that developers have to jump through for the Xbox.

Ultimate Veteran
    90 frames per second is legit!
    Who would have thought building a solid product that serves your customer's needs would beat out money, marketing, hype, and greed.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    More tidbits:

This is anecdotal from E3, but...

I've heard the architecture with the ESRAM is actually a major hurdle in development because you need to manually fill and flush it.

So unless MS's APIs have improved to the point that this is essentially automatic, the bandwidth and hardware speed are probably irrelevant.

For reference, the story going around E3 went something like this:

"ATVI was doing the CoD: Ghosts port to nextgen. It took three weeks for PS4 and came out at 90 FPS unoptimized, and four months on Xbone and came out at 15 FPS."

(by Peter Bartholow - CEO of Lab Zero Games - Guys who made Skullgirls)

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    As long as the games are awesome, I don't care about the "power" mumbojumbo.
    This and ill add both consoles with have excellent games, November is gonna be a frigging expensive month!

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

EDGE? #GTFO

I am not very convinced on it, only EDGE has "so called" reported this and wasn't that that the magazine that purely stated that the PS4 was the console to get this holiday? Not bagging out PS4, I know its more powerful but I doubt that MS would put a significant weaker console to fight against the all powerful PS4. Ahh well the truth will be in the pudding

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingSmile64 View Post
    EDGE? #GTFO

I am not very convinced on it, only EDGE has "so called" reported this and wasn't that that the magazine that purely stated that the PS4 was the console to get this holiday? Not bagging out PS4, I know its more powerful but I doubt that MS would put a significant weaker console to fight against the all powerful PS4. Ahh well the truth will be in the pudding
    No. It isn't just Edge talking about this.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674213
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 09-13-2013 at 14:10.

27. Likes unicron7 likes this post

#cries

Superior Member

So I will have plenty of first party games to occupy myself, while the install base shifts and multiplatform devs realise that they could probably make more money by optimising their game to look as good as possible on PS4, therefore competing visually vs Sony first party titles than losing money from the bribery or political problems from MS.
    The only reason to make one version substantially better then another from a business point of view is if one console has a better royalty rate where the dev would make more money per copy on that platform than the other. Otherwise you are just putting more money into the budget of the game to make it better, but not getting anymore money per copy out of it.

You basically have the same amount of people that are gonna buy a certain game. It's merely what platform are they gonna buy it on.

As for bribes for parity? I'm all for it. Just as I would be okay if Sony paid devs more to get the better version. It's business and I wouldn't hate on either company for doing it.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingSmile64 View Post
    EDGE? #GTFO

they originally drafted up a weaker 360. PS3 would have been similarly as powerful as the ps4 if Sony's base designs weren't leaked to MS...still would have been an ass to code for but c'est la vie.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Thread Information