Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Power Member
    Items User name style

Criterion now consists of just 17 people

Wow, way to go EA.
    Wasn't sure where to put this but I figure is relevant to next gen.

Guildford, UK-based Criterion has seen a workforce reduction to a mere 17 people, with the bulk of its employees being shifted to Ghost Games to continue development on the Need for Speed franchise.

Creative director Alex Ward revealed the dramatic headcount reduction over a series of tweets, saying that Criterion is "a small team now," having lost somewhere between 60 and 65 workers to Ghost Games.

It was announced in August that Ghost Games would be taking over production of the Need for Speed franchise from Criterion. With most of its team now moving over to a new studio, Ward says what remains of Criterion will shift its focus onto other projects.

"We still exist. We chose not to continue making [Need for Speed] games," Ward said over Twitter. "We are backed by a huge and successful wider company, Electronic Arts... We're in fine form actually."
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2..._17_people.php

Will we ever get another Burnout?

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I know! It's quite sad to say the least. They are a solid dev team and EA is putting them on the back burner.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

El Presidente
    I would like another Burnout but we all know what $#@! moves EA likes to pull, like say gutting a great dev team.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

4. Likes darky89 likes this post
    Trying not to break stuff...
    Items Diablo IIIOne PieceGhost in the ShellLuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    I crave another Burnout. Hopefully they can make the game they want to make!

Master Sage
    EA is a cancer, problem is they keep buying more studios to sustain life longer.
    Next-up to die will probably be Visceral Games

7. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
    PSN ID
    nervegas_ds
    let me get this straight. instead of having criterion make the need for speed games, you now have ghost games making them with most of the people from criterion... wtf EA?

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Does EA still have a CEO yet, are they still using Lawrence Probst?

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    So all those 60 people moved from England to Sweden?

I find that unlikely.

Power Member
    Unbelievable..

Forum Overseer

Why is this bad? They still have jobs and likely get paid about the same. NFS is no less than Burnout. I don't get it.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Why is this bad? They still have jobs and likely get paid about the same. NFS is no less than Burnout. I don't get it.
    Kind of like mynd said, no burnout likely.

I love burnoit

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Supreme Veteran
    Did they all move to Sweden though or are they still workign in UK soemhow?
    Last edited by keefy; 09-14-2013 at 18:15.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    RIP Black 2 (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Because now Criterion is just a name of some Dev, it's no longer really Criterion and therefore doesn't mean a game with Criterion on the box will be any good. They made the first good NFS in years, the remake or re-imagining of Hot Pursuit. Similar to Infinity Ward, the name is there, but it's not really Infinity Ward (I know COD has soured some people on IW but they were a great dev.... at least in my opinion).

Just in its purist form, it's bad to see a great dev divided and gutted

For racing games the best place to look (again, in my opinion) is Playground Games, they're a super group of devs that left others that had a great racing pedigree.
    Last edited by darky89; 09-15-2013 at 01:25.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    So because Criterion said, "No, we want our studio to make games other than Need for Speed games," Electronics Arts said, "Okay, we'll be moving 65 of your employees to a new studio, and so now your studio can make whatever games you like." Give it up to the winner of the Worst Company in America Award!!!

Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by darky89 View Post
    Because now Criterion is just a name of some Dev, it's no longer really Criterion and therefore doesn't mean a game with Criterion on the box will be any good. They made the first good NFS in years, the remake or imagining of Hot Pursuit. Similar to Infinity Ward, the name is there, but it's not really Infinity Ward (I know COD has soured some people on IW but they were a great dev.... at least in my opinion).

Just in its purist form, it's bad to see a great dev divided and gutted

For racing games the best place to look (again, in my opinion) is Playground Games, they're a super group of devs that left others that had a great racing pedigree.
    Worst font ever

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    Funny Gamespot say its 16 people left

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/criterio...people-6414451

Creative director at Burnout series studio says most staff shifted to work on Need for Speed: Rivals at new label Ghost Games UK.

Burnout series developer Criterion Games has been reduced to a headcount of 16 people, creative director Alex Ward revealed on Twitter today. Most of the studio's former 60-65 staff have formed a new label called Ghost Games UK within Criterion to work on Need for Speed: Rivals, Ward said. Ghost Games proper in Gothenburg, Sweden is leading development on that game.

Through a number of tweets today (via Videogamer), Ward said Criterion Games is now a "small team." Criterion Games, based in Guildford, UK, have no announced projects, and shipped Need for Speed: Most Wanted last year.

Asked on Twitter if Criterion Games now feels vulnerable, Ward said, "Not at all. We are backed by a huge and successful wider company, Electronic Arts."

In April, Ward revealed that Criterion Games would be moving away from racing games, saying "after over a decade of making racing games, it's time to make something new."
    Burnout Revenge was my fav game from Criterion I liked Paradise but Revenge was the best fun I had in years, EA have killed off so many great devs and Criterion will be gone in 1-3 years time most likely. Shame Mercenaries was an awesome game Pandemic got swallowed up by EA completly stuffed up M2 and vanished yet Criterion have only released one Burnout this gen and moved over to the boring dull rinse and repeat NFS series.
    Last edited by Nakatomi Uk; 09-14-2013 at 22:57.

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, WD 1TB Blue 7,200rpm, SG 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by FireSol View Post
    RIP Black 2 (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
    Ugh! How could I forget Black. The guns were so purty.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    EA is a cancer, problem is they keep buying more studios to sustain life longer.
    Next-up to die will probably be Visceral Games
    I'm still gutted by what they forced Bioware to do with regards to the Mass Effect games. I'd like to see some of these studios regain independence and shine like they're meant to.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Worst font ever
    It's really not that bad.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

23. Likes victorijapoosp likes this post
    Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by darky89 View Post
    It's really not that bad.
    It actually is. The glow is the same color as the font itself, and that just makes it blurry and hard to read. Maybe if the glow color and the font color were more distinguishable from each other, this wouldn't be so.

Ancient
    If anything this makes Black 2 more likely now Ghost UK handles NFS.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Forum Overseer

Black was fun to play but the stealth missions were horrid. There was no point in having a suppressed gun. It's a fun casual shooter for sure though...even if the blowing up stuff eventually gets tiring as the objects were always conveniently located right by the enemies and somehow they don't know that they had just created the most explosive checkpoint in history.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Wow, way to go EA.
    Wasn't sure where to put this but I figure is relevant to next gen.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2..._17_people.php

Will we ever get another Burnout?
    I hope that we do but the main reason the split happened (from what I have read) is that they didn't want to continue making NFS and Alex (I think he is the founder? and I forget his full name) stated that they won't be making another racer (he didn't rule it out, something he said they would get back to, just not yet.)

Ghost Games consists of alot of the old Criterion staff so.....that's something I guess?

EDIT

To point out, I know in the article quoted it states that they wanted to move away from NFS and repeating that info is redundant but I was trying to get to the part where the staff that are still Criterion won't be working on Burnout, unfortunately.
    Last edited by sainraja; 09-15-2013 at 04:50.

Forum Overseer

EA needs to stop making so many goddamn racers. I'm sure this works well for them but I wish they just made one MMO racer and called it a day.

Thread Information