Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    Items Dark Souls CoverPS3 Slim

GTA V early impressions

So I thought I'd start a new thread to see what every one thinks of the game so far. I honestly had really high expectations for the game and so far they have definitely matched, if not surpassed them. I've played probably 3 hours so far and I really am so impressed with it. It's amazing what Rockstar has been able to pull off with these old consoles. Graphics are fantastic, and driving, flying, fighting, and shooting all feel great, but still has that GTA feel to them at the same time. It's really overwhelming too with how much there is to do. Story seems pretty good so far as well, although a lot of my time has just been exploring so far. So yeah, I'm definitely loving it. I'd love to hear what everyone on here thinks as well.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The game is indeed awesome.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Definitely fun.

Loving gun options. Just went and did my first shooting range and love the challenges for different guns and different options for the guns. While I was there I also noticed more outfits, which is something else that has impressed me. Really loving the variety of clothing options and they actually look good as well. Haven't messed with any vehicle customization yet.

Haven't had to deal with police too much yet but what I've experienced so far has been good. Will have to get more things happening with them before I can really give input.

Vehicles handle a lot different than IV, or I just haven't played it in a while. Definitely gets some getting used to, I almost crashed as soon as I started driving because I anticipated their handling to be similar to the previous game.

There have been two issues when trying to jump onto something so far. Nothing major, more comical at this point.

Love the stealth factor. Can't wait to see how this plays out in further missions and once I can upgrade different weapons to make use of a silencer.

Unlike previous games where there seemed to be too memorable of streets, this one looks like it will take a long time to learn and I will be relying on the GPS for a while. Lots of curves and alleyways.

In a shootout I've had I hit an enemy and he went down and continued firing at me from the ground. That was a nice touch (as well as is the red X for when you've killed someone, similar to Red Dead Redemption).

QUICK SAVE!

Looking at the BRIEF section of the pause menu shows a LOT more than before and with different sections. Now if you miss some dialogue that pops up you can certainly go back and find it. Same with stats, a lot more in depth than before.

The soundtrack is also impressive and the talk radio/"news" announcements already have me laughing.

Can't remember too many other specifics. It's definitely more of a difference than I expected.

EDIT: Just got to the car customization... wow. Talk about choices.
    Last edited by ttech10; 09-17-2013 at 09:34.

4. Likes claud3, Admartian likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    lol @ "Fame or Shame".

Apprentice
    Well I've played a few more hours and I did mainly story stuff this time. Wow are some of the missions insane! I won't go into details because I don't want to spoil anything, but even some of these early missions are just so crazy, makes me even more excited to see how the main story goes. I find the side missions to be hilarious and awesome as well. There is one "strangers and freaks" mission with Michael in particular that had me laughing so hard, I'm pretty sure people will know what I'm talking about when they do it. But yeah, just really loving the game so far, and I'm also really liking the characters and the story as well.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Heat195
    Well after getting done the first two missions (or cutscene part) here are my early impressions (will be expanded upon later):

This is my first PS3 game and I have not played GTA IV at all, so everything is completely new to me, everything. Just a note before I start:

My jaw is on the floor already, this is what next generation looks like (current generation to everyone else) maxed out and its beautiful. It didn't even feel like a GTA game at first (gameplay), so foreign but everything else is completely GTA. The controls are so wacky I sucked so hard at the first part where I died 3 times or something lol. Its strange and I can't read the text at the top because of my SDTV. I knew though it was similar quality pretty fast though. Next part in spoiler tags:

Last edited by hoverbike; 09-17-2013 at 15:52.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Vibrant, alive, packed, funny, incredible. Just a few hours in but I'll be with this for a loooong while.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NightOnyx View Post
    So I thought I'd start a new thread to see what every one thinks of the game so far. I honestly had really high expectations for the game and so far they have definitely matched, if not surpassed them. I've played probably 3 hours so far and I really am so impressed with it. It's amazing what Rockstar has been able to pull off with these old consoles. Graphics are fantastic, and driving, flying, fighting, and shooting all feel great, but still has that GTA feel to them at the same time. It's really overwhelming too with how much there is to do. Story seems pretty good so far as well, although a lot of my time has just been exploring so far. So yeah, I'm definitely loving it. I'd love to hear what everyone on here thinks as well.
    IGN's liveblogging gameplay for a few hours http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/09/17...-of-los-santos

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    my early impressions are that the game is good, definitely better than IV, but while the graphics are better than its predecessor, they are not great (sorry, but they aren't). I guess I've just become used to PC gaming over the years since IV.

also experiencing terrible frame rates and object pop in is having a negative impact, spoiling what would otherwise be a very enjoyable experience.

current gen is definitely showing it's limitations now, this game needs to be optimised for for released on next gen and PC where it can truly stretch its legs.
    Don't waste your words I don't need anything from you.
    I don't care where you've been or what you plan to do.
    I am the resurrection and I am the light.
    I couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I'd like.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I'm a few missions in and really enjoying it. Awesome game.

Apprentice
    Items Scarlett JohanssonGuerrilla GamesDice
    Friday can't get here soon enough...

Veteran
    Played for a few hours, Game seems amazing...So much better than 4 already!

Makes me proud to be Scottish
    Forza 5, Fifa 14, Battlefield 4 & Watchdogs - The Perfect Launch Line Up!

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    So money in this game... you're going to have a LOT of stuff to spend it on. Just opened more stores and in the one I'm at now there are 53 different shoes, ranging from $650 to $1,275. Then with sweaters there are 28 of them, ranging from $1,120 to $1,990. There are of course cheaper places, and still with large selections. And that's just for one guy.

No more of there being one outfit that 90% of the players choose to wear. It feels like I can really make the character my own. Which speaking of, glad stats are back from San Andreas.

I was about to list two complaints but both were just remedied. I typically only see taxis whenever I have a vehicle, but when I want one none is around. Well... you can call them up and get one driven to you. I keep finding myself wanting to take taxis to random places just to be able to get a look around, mainly the background with either the city or the mountains.

The other were police, but I've since had a shootout occur between police and two hipster looking dudes. Cops won. The complaint was going to be that I haven't seen them outside a few instances. Since I started typing this, though, there have been numerous sightings of them (I started typing this a few hours ago and then my internet went down and just now got it started again).

I've since flown an airplane and that was pretty enjoyable. The countryside is definitely large and more than I expected. Also love that it truly feels different than the other areas.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Had a few great hours with it today.
    The ingame internet alone is full of win.

For example Michaels wife is looking for ****buddies online... Just search for "sex" and click on the second last link. It's an adult dating website (costs 500bucks to enter).

The missions are fun. The dialogues are great as always - it's all I could've asked for.
    A San Andreas 2.0.

Yeah you can tell the ps3 is having a hard time puting it all on screen but that's just because there's so much going on at all times.
    It will really shine in the next console gen/PC.

P.S. even the strip club is better then ever before even though no girl went home with me YET

Only complaint:
    Were are the hookers at? Did anybody find one yet!?

Tapatalkin'

PSN ID
    Xaivion5D
    still trying to wrap my head around all the things the game has to offer..so much to do in just early stages of the game..(i got caught up playing tennis for an hour lmao)..just like someone said above, my expectations were matched+++ well worth the midnight release madness last night (and calling out of work today! BUM!!!) currently charging my controller since i played it dead i'm immersed

this is the first game i got on my ps3 and i'm still getting the hang of the controls in general, but this is the best game i've played in ages seriously.
    stay aware | pineal gland | consciousness

17. Likes hoverbike likes this post
    Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    I'm pretty sure I found a hooker outside of one of the clothing stores (the fancy one that starts with an H). I pulled up there and right as I was getting out an info box popped up, I missed what it read, but she started to go up to my passenger side window.

I'm stuck in the desert right now so can't go look.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Hookers are the same as gta 4 with the exception of dif camera angles.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

Superior Member
    I'm looking forward to picking up my console bundle tomorrow.

21. Likes NightOnyx likes this post
    Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by xdreamzx View Post
    still trying to wrap my head around all the things the game has to offer..so much to do in just early stages of the game..(i got caught up playing tennis for an hour lmao)..just like someone said above, my expectations were matched+++ well worth the midnight release madness last night (and calling out of work today! BUM!!!) currently charging my controller since i played it dead i'm immersed

this is the first game i got on my ps3 and i'm still getting the hang of the controls in general, but this is the best game i've played in ages seriously.
    Congrats on getting a PS3, I hope you like it! So did you get the PS3 bundle that comes with GTA V, and are there any other games you plan on getting? I haven't even tried tennis yet, I need to do that next time I play. The game really is fantastic though. I did the first heist mission today and it was a ton of fun.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    ****ing amazing. There is so much to do. There's over 40 hobbies and activities to do in this game and that's just from checking the in-game phone menu in the stats section. It tells you how many things you did, but this game is seriously amazing. I can't get enough of it.

I went on top of Mt. Chilliad. Beautiful view. There's a parachute there up for grabs. If you pre-ordered, you'll have the Blimp which is basically a zeppelin. I took that thing high up and dropped out with a parachute. **** is so cash.

Also, I think Jonah Hill is doing the voice over for one of the characters. It certainly sounds like his voice by the way he speaks and pronounces words.

The map is ****ing huge. You'll be exploring for hours. My favourite part to be in is in the country side. It was always my favourite in GTA SA, and it's my favourite here too.

10/10 would play game forever

Veteran
    Only 3 hours in and wow! it truly is amazing and what I expected.

Forum Sage
    The audio is soo low compared to other games or is it just me?

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    The audio is soo low compared to other games or is it just me?
    I thought the same thing. When I play CoD or any other game for that matter on my Samsung LED, my volume is usually around 8-10 and it's perfect. This game? It needs to be around 35-40. I'm not joking. The audio IS very low. I had to turn on my subtitles when I'm not using my surround sound heaset.

Overall, this game has been amazing. I've played for hours and can't put the controller down. I hate to say this, especially with how much I LOVED Tomb Raider and The Last of Us, this game will most likely get my vote for GOTY. Rockstar did an outstanding job on this game.

PSN Gamertag: Kertiously

Feel free to add me! The more PSN friends, the better!

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Really enjoyed the introductory mission. Already, it was different from any other GTA game - new type of setting (weather), original soundtrack, character switching from the start, and a plot to have you on the edge already.

Didn't get much of a chance to play it much longer so can't really comment on anything else at the moment. I haven't even played as Trevor yet.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    InkedOne78
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Played for about 3 hours last night and so far I'm loving this game. Just started investing in stocks, anyone make any decent money yet investing? Have a few thousand dollars in Maze banking.

Thread Information