Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Strangers who ask for money

so I was walking home with 2 of my female friends last night when I saw this guy walking down the street with a hoodie on. He had also 2 friends with him and I remember saying to my friend "Lets cross the road here, this guy looks like trouble and will probably ask for money."

Just as I was about to cross the road, he approached me and asked for 25 cents..... I knew this guy was up to something so I just said "No sorry." and walked away. If I gave him the 25 cents, he would probably be insulted and demand more. It sounds silly but I felt pretty initimidated in a way, you know? I thought he was gonna pull something out on me. And it didn't help that this occured at night.

I always walk with one eye behind my back and this is mostly because of an experience I had when I was younger. I met this guy at school who I was pretty cool with at first, and well... long story short, he threatened to pull a knife on me if I didn't give him my phone. It started with the usual "Hey, can I borrow your phone to call my mom?" deal. Ever since then, I found it hard to trust anyone I met. And this happened when I was 12.

But tonight just brought it all back. And how much of a coward I felt back then... I dunno. I like to think I'm tough but situations like this just bring me back down to earth. And it makes me feel like $#@!. You know?

Anyways... to keep this thread running, have you ever gave money to a stranger? What was their story, if they had one?
    Hot Girl - Cliff Jump Fail !!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzZHhCZYzto

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Well I am lucky that i live in Switzerland and people here are very adequate. Sometime I was in the train and a young guy who I didnt know came up to me and asked whether I can give him 2 Franks (equivalent to two dollars more or less). He said he had to buy another applying ticket to be able to arrive to his destination. I didnt hesitate and gave him the two franks, he was very pleased, thanked me and wished me a nice day.

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    $#@! them beggars! I make it clear to them that they won't ever see a single dime from me. That only applies to the annoying ghetto kids though. These scumbags would put my dollar into some syringe or vodka bottle anyway, so no need to be sympathetic.

I am more than willing to give money to people trying to do something with their lives, like street painting, singing, playing musical instruments from scrap parts and so on. That's the kind of people I want to support to get back up on their feet. I've seen homeless people with some amazing skills who should be rewarded.
    Last edited by Wrath; 09-17-2013 at 09:03.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS

Strangers who ask for money

When addicts have asked for food money I've bought them some food instead. And I avoid beggars in Sweden as a rule. There is a system in place specifically for people in $#@!ty situations as long as they want to participate and work.

But yeah this is a whole other situation. When a weird guy just asks to make a call with my phone I usually decline. Except for the rare occasion they seem legit.

What you did is not cowardice. Avoiding 3 weird guys at night when alone is smart.

On the move with Tapatalk
    Last edited by MjW; 09-17-2013 at 09:37.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

5. Likes Itachi , The Black Wolf, F34R likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    When addicts have asked for food money I've bought them some food instead. And I avoid beggars in Sweden as a rule. There is a system in place specifically for people in $#@!ty situations as long as they want to participate and work.

But yeah this is a whole other situation. When a weird guy just asks to make a call with my phone I usually decline. Except for the rare occasion they seem legit.

What you did is not cowardice. Avoiding 3 weird guys at night when alone is smart.

Nice post MjW. Seriously. What the OP did isn't bad at all. I've had too many cases where someone is asking for money, then it turns really bad. I had a guy walk up to my truck a few nights ago doing the same thing. I saw him coming from another car, talking with someone, and then he walked to me. I recognized him, and had dealt with him on many occasions when I was on duty. I told him point blank, "Get the $#@! away from me". If he hadn't, we would have had a serious problem.

Never take someones "need" do easily.

El Presidente
    I had that happen at work last summer. This kid walked up, told me his name(probably fake) and gave me his sob story of 'I don't have money for the bus to get home and I live downtown wah!'

The problem was the plaza that I work in is mostly empty and rundown(I wish they'd fix it and get business booming again) and this kid was just hanging around with some other guys in the plaza which is just weird. I politely told him no and he pressed me a little more 'come on man you don't have anything??' in his sad whiny voice. The second time I was firm NO. He walked away after that.

At work I remain vigilant. I'll walk outside every half hour or so and just poke around. Its mostly open parking lot so if anyone is coming I'll see them a mile away. Its sad but you just can't trust people. Its smart what you did and I would have done the same.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    The asking for a low amount is to get you to get your purse or wallet out thenthey rob you.

A few years ago sthis guy tried doing that to me in the centre of Manchester, he asked me for 1 nd "I said I have got no change" (bit dumb of me) and continued walking but in a slightly different direction than I originally intended and he noticed that so he said "you were going down there weren't you?" and pointed to a dark alley with very few lights to which I replied "not any more"
    Last edited by keefy; 09-17-2013 at 11:17.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    I see only Europeans complaining, while Americans dont really care, they can carry assault rifles with them

Superior Member
    Here in NY we dont have people asking for money... they DEMAND it

"Gibs me a dollah!!"
    sorry
    "Where you goin?" "COME HERE" (flashes blood sign)
    ARRGGGGG i hated that when i was in High school

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by MossadAgentO View Post
    Here in NY we dont have people asking for money... they DEMAND it

"Gibs me a dollah!!"
    sorry
    "Where you goin?" "COME HERE" (flashes blood sign)
    ARRGGGGG i hated that when i was in High school
    Blast dat $#@!, yo yo representing, crip sign.

12. Likes Ezekiel, Beast of Bourbon likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    You gotta reply, "Hell no, I ain't got tree fiddy, lochness monster"

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    God how i hate that $#@!.
    Germany's getting overrun by gypsies from romania at the moment.

Almost every day the city is full of beggars with crutches or wheelchairs.
    They even go into stores to ask the customers for money and go from door to door in smaller towns to ask for cash.
    These low lifes even walked to the back of my parent's house to see if any door is open because noone answered the front door and herassed my mum who was working in the backyard till she finally gave them 5 bucks.

Life used to be nice and safe around here but now you gotta keep everything locked 24/7 because these $#@!s are totally ruth- and respectless.

Time to get a pitbull or rothweiler
    (I wish i could get a gun)

Long story short you did everything right i wouldn't have done it any other way.
    Last edited by Beast of Bourbon; 09-17-2013 at 12:22.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    God how i hate that $#@!.
    Germany's getting overrun by gypsies from romania at the moment.

Almost every day the city is full of beggars with crutches or wheelchairs.
    They even go into stores to ask the customers for money and go from door to door in smaller towns to ask for cash.
    These low lifes even walked to the back of my parent's house to see if any door is open because noone answered the front door and herassed my mum who was working in the backyard till she finally gave them 5 bucks.

Life used to be nice and safe around here but now you gotta keep everything locked 24/7 because these $#@!s are totally ruth- and respectless.

Time to get a pitbull or rothweiler
    (I wish i could get a gun)

Long story short you did everything right i wouldn't have done it any other way.
    What would you do?

"You want a euro?! You want a euro!? Get the $#@! out of my porch! Bang bang! Damn beggar kids. Get the bleach babe, they made a mess again!"

~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    You gotta reply, "Hell no, I ain't got tree fiddy, lochness monster"
    LOL! Chef's parents FTW!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Elite Member

The last stranger that asked me for money was offered a job mowing my yard, trimming the shrubs, and shoveling up the dog poop for $50. They refused.

Beggars tend to be much more respectful in a Conceal/Carry state like Texas.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 09-17-2013 at 15:06.

18. Likes Beast of Bourbon likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    InkedOne78
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    I usually say no unless I have some change on me, I never take my wallet out. Do you guys find that you say no to the men asking for money but find yourself giving a woman money that's asking?

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by FdMstng99 View Post
    I usually say no unless I have some change on me, I never take my wallet out. Do you guys find that you say no to the men asking for money but find yourself giving a woman money that's asking?
    Nope. They got themselves in that mess, not me. They shouldn't try to make their problem my problem.

I have given money out a few times. Last time was to a dude who genuinely looked lost and came up with a story about how his dad had a heart attack and blah blah blah. I gave him 3 and said that was all I had.

The ones that get me are the ones that sit next to cash machines they always ask if you have any spare change and my response is usually "You just saw me get money out. I ain't got change and you can think again if you think i'm giving you paper"

21. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    What would you do?

"You want a euro?! You want a euro!? Get the $#@! out of my porch! Bang bang! Damn beggar kids. Get the bleach babe, they made a mess again!"
    The gun would be for protection on the streets...
    Now if someone entered my home uninvited? I'd PULL my gun on them without a second thought.

These people simply shouldn't be allowed to ravage europe like they do.
    Send them back home at the border. That's all i ask for.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    No stories, per say, just if the change is there I'll give it - plus the odd bit more on occasion.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

The 25 cents thing is the oldest trick in the book. You give him 25 cents and he says "Is that it? Give me your wallet." - Ain't nobody got time for that.

I could have completely trolled the guy like "Sure, let me just pull my iPhone out so I can check for spare change..... Nope, only $100 notes. Sorry."
    Hot Girl - Cliff Jump Fail !!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzZHhCZYzto

Veteran
    I don't give them money.. I earned it, not them.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I've never had anyone ask me for money, even though I live in a poverty like area.

What people do around here is "borrow" money, and I've heard of people not paying it back. Going to the police usually solves that.

I only let a few select people borrow money from me. In the case of a stranger, it's different and depends on the situation.

I was on a college campus and needed 15 cents. I had put a dollar in the machine and all I needed was 15 cents to get what I wanted. Someone gave me a quarter.

Those of you who stated you wouldn't give a dime, so you mean to tell me if a good and respectful student and citizen asked you for 15 cents for the vending machine, you wouldn't give it to them?

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    I have a lot of russians here in belfast asking for money and some U.S citizens

Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Unbound Mercenary
    I've given money to some, and declined it to others.

Chances are I usually don't, mainly because I don"t usually have cash on me. lol But if they don't creep me the $#@! out, I might throw them some cash.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    I've never had anyone ask me for money, even though I live in a poverty like area.

What people do around here is "borrow" money, and I've heard of people not paying it back. Going to the police usually solves that.

I only let a few select people borrow money from me. In the case of a stranger, it's different and depends on the situation.

I was on a college campus and needed 15 cents. I had put a dollar in the machine and all I needed was 15 cents to get what I wanted. Someone gave me a quarter.

Those of you who stated you wouldn't give a dime, so you mean to tell me if a good and respectful student and citizen asked you for 15 cents for the vending machine, you wouldn't give it to them?
    Ofcourse i'd help out.
    It just depends on the situation.

A student or upstanding citizen isn't a beggar if he needs a few coins - $#@! happens.
    This isn't about money - it's about princible

Thread Information