Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Live Streamer

World Record: $1Billion in 3 days

source: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/09/1...ion-in-one-day

Take-Two has announced that Grand Theft Auto V generated approximately $800 million in sales worldwide during its first 24 hours on sale. According to Take-Two, this marks “the highest first day retail sales of any title in the history of the company and the Grand Theft Auto series.”

Take-Two notes that the figure includes sales across both platforms in all territories, but added that GTA 5 has not yet launched in Japan or Brazil.

"All of us at Take-Two are thrilled with the initial response to Grand Theft Auto V,” said Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick. “Once again, the team at Rockstar Games have outdone themselves, setting the entertainment industry's new standard for creativity, innovation and excellence. Beginning at midnight on Monday, consumers around the world gathered in anticipation to be among the first to experience the evolution of this remarkable series. In North America alone, more than 8,300 stores opened their doors at midnight to welcome fans whose loyalty and enthusiasm were rewarded with what The New York Times called 'the most immersive spectacle in interactive entertainment'. We are incredibly proud of Rockstar Games' creative achievement and could not be more pleased with the success of this launch."
    UPDATE: World Record, Billion in 3 days: http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/20/gran...in-three-days/
    Last edited by Itachi; 09-20-2013 at 20:11.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

2. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Now i need to put this somewhere

Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Yup, GTAV has taken over. This game deserves to be at the top

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    That's insane! Big props to them for doin' it big with class and quality

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    So they've sold approximately 133 million copies in 24 hours? That doesn't sound right.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    So they've sold approximately 133 million copies in 24 hours? That doesn't sound right.
    lol.

on a side note, I must be the only one not getting it yet.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    its 13.33 million brosef

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    its 13.33 million brosef
    Even less with the special editions that cost more.

I'd guess somewhere around 10 million or so.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    My head hurts.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Oh man, these guys are gonna swim in the money they make. They'll have more than enough to cover their studio, licenses and of course they already made the money back they spent on this game. This is amazing. Very impressive too considering that this game makes more than a blockbuster movie on opening night. They certainly deserve all of it. They're probably not even sweating the pirated copies.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901

$800mil in a day

seeing as their budget for this game had eight 0's they've already well made that back. they deserve it.

however I can't help put remember discussions I've had on here about milked franchises and how they hurt the gaming consumer. but after playing it myself, I'd have to say they put a lot of hard work and ingenuity into this game so it doesn't belong in the milked category.

moving on tapatalk

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Well i am so awesomely glad for them... And since they made a $#@! load for GTA IV and still release a new GTA every 5 or 6 years, makes them the only company to never milk the product

And now GTA ONLINE is on the way and man oh man, this is going to exploded
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    Well i am so awesomely glad for them... And since they made a $#@! load for GTA IV and still release a new GTA every 5 or 6 years, makes them the only company to never milk the product

And now GTA ONLINE is on the way and man oh man, this is going to exploded
    I agree. I've read a lot of details on gta online and looks like they put as much work into that as they did the game itself

moving on tapatalk

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

PSU Live Streamer
    I know how much you love GTA, and how much you love to hate AC. Hate to burst your bubble but...

GTA 1997
    GTA2 1998
    GTA3 2001
    GTA:VC 2002
    GTA:SA 2004
    GTA:LCS 2005/6
    GTA:VCS 2006
    GTA4: 2008
    GTA:CW 2009
    GTA:LC Episodes 2010
    GTA5: 2013

...They do milk the franchise.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    I know how much you love GTA, and how much you love to hate AC. Hate to burst your bubble but...

GTA 1997
    GTA2 1998
    GTA3 2001

But it is fine tasting milk if I do say so myself!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era

GTA 1997
    GTA2 1998
    GTA3 2001

Yes i know they have done a yearly release before... But they have stopped because they know the hardware and know how much time to put into it now and the is why it takes 5-6 years to completely make a new GTA game and that's why, we will not see GTA VI until 2018

Another thing, since they did the yearly release's with GTA 2, 3, S.A, V.C.S and L.C.S

was because they worked with the same engine and tweaked it a lot to get the graphics they wanted

with GTA IV and using the CURRENT GRAPHIC ENGINE, they have perfected the use off the hardware within the consoles they are using and therefore improved on the engine

Hence this is why GTA V took 5 years to make, they perfected and acknowledged the time and money needed to make it work
    Last edited by claud3; 09-19-2013 at 14:41.

PSU Live Streamer
    You may not see GTA6 for a few years. But I'm sure you'll see Los Santos Stories or Episodes from Los Santos spinoff titles between major releases.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Yes i know they have done a yearly release before... But they have stopped because they know the hardware and know how much time to put into it now and the is why it takes 5-6 years to completely make a new GTA game and that'S why, we will not see GTA VI until 2018
    I bet we see it around 2016, the newer consoles are much easier to develop for and will be quicker to optimize compared to this gen! Although, I don't want the releases to get too close together like Call Of Duty does, that would just ruin the series...

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    You may not see GTA6 for a few years. But I'm sure you'll see Los Santos Stories or Episodes from Los Santos spinoff titles between major releases.
    DLC's my friend DLC's

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I bet we see it around 2016, the newer consoles are much easier to develop for and will be quicker to optimize compared to this gen! Although, I don't want the releases to get too close together like Call Of Duty does, that would just ruin the series...
    I hope not friend, with the madness of this game. They plan on working on it for years to come and that is why i say 2018 GTA VI

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    DLC's my friend DLC's

I hope not friend, with the madness of this game. They plan on working on it for years to come and that is why i say 2018 GTA VI
    Ok, GTA VI for 2018 it is! If I don't hear anything during TGS about GTA 5 coming out for PS4 then I am going to go ahead and get it for PS3, I am dying to play this game and everyone I have talked to has said how awesome it is already and I can't stand to wait much longer!

PSU Live Streamer
    DLC's my friend DLC's

It's less likely due to them "taking their time" with the product. But more in line with scope of project vs resources available to allocate to said project. Thats not to say they rush it by any means, and I'm not saying they do. R* has 8 studios? 2K has another 8 studios? So lets say R* uses all 8 of their studios, but doesn't get any help from 2K's sector because they have their own projects. Yes it may take 4-5 years to finish a true sequel based on the size of those studios. Now with help from 2K they would finish it quicker.

Comparitively Ubisoft has 26 studios with an additional load of subsidiaries in various countries. They have the man power to release games at a steadier pace. Those games still can take 3-4 years to develop, but when you have enough man power to have multiple titles in development simultaneously then it suddenly presents the illusion of rushing out a mediocre product.

I'm not trying to turn this into a R* vs Ubi war, lets please not take it there either. It's just the easier comparison to make as you are vocal towards both companies in this regard. I just hope I'm able to illustrate that both companies have similar practices yet different company sizes and man power allocation to complete their orders.

I should add that I'm not trying to devalue one or the other. They both bring experiences to the table that have fans running to buy them. R* obviously has a special formula all unto their own if they can generate nearly $800mil in sales in 24hrs. Though being the pioneer of open world genre, that is understandable.
    Last edited by shepard; 09-19-2013 at 15:08.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I hope if/when GTA VI comes out will be off the charts huge, like mind boggling massive! What they need to start doing is for each new GTA release, include the old cities from the previous games to travel too as well! They could tweak the old cities and change them up a bit to show their age, but just keep adding to the GTA world until it is insanely huge!

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I hope if/when GTA VI comes out will be off the charts huge, like mind boggling massive! What they need to start doing is for each new GTA release, include the old cities from the previous games to travel too as well! They could tweak the old cities and change them up a bit to show their age, but just keep adding to the GTA world until it is insanely huge!
    With upcoming games like 'The Crew' spanning the entire US....I could see it being in their realm of possibility.

Or hell, what about one set in the distant future :P I was listening to the GiantBombCast and they were hoping for GTA meets 5th Element. Jumping out of flying cars and landing onto other flying cars lol

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Look i know gaming companies and just like the movie companies milk the living $#@! out of there products and i would never deny that for one single second

But the difference with R* and others. Is that they know how to milk it in a way that suits them and does not dry up the series at all

They have put out in the past yearly release's of the for mentioned GTA TITLES, because when GTA III hit the 3D platform. People went freaking nuts over it and R* had all the other ideas i believe planned out like V.C and S.A and that is why they did it that way

When it came to the STORIES games, they made the same engine work with a new platform AKA PSP... So when V.C.S came out and again everyone loved it, they just had to simply make L.C.S with the same engine and i bet it never took a full year to produce

They took the time, to just adjust the engine a wee bit more to make the graphics better and the port to console. Could not be related to a yearly release, since they are the same games

And when GTA IV was announced it have been what 2 years and that game was being worked on for 5 years, so that is tactical not a yearly release and since this is 5 years later.

GTA V is not a yearly release, them two games and future GTA g for a new release

In my opinion and that is how i see it
    Last edited by claud3; 09-19-2013 at 15:34.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    One thing for sure, Rockstar puts a lot of passion behind their games! Now if Naughty Dog and Rockstar would just team up on a project...

27. Likes claud3 likes this post

Thread Information