PSN ID
    matt1y77

Reaction to GTA V

I am amazed by the reaction of parts of the UK press regarding the release of the new GTA. Once again the ignorant Daily Mail is up in arms about social meltdown and how children will become killers and criminals. What a joke. I am 40 years old, and have been playing games since the zx spectrum 48k (rubber keyboard) and I have never killed anyone or stolen a car, or been in any way influenced by games in a negative way at all. When I was young I loved heavy metal music, but have never bitten the head off and animal (apart from gummy bears).

Gaming is form of entertainment that is enjoyed by a large cross section of society and for the press to jump on the band-wagon and say "this is horrid, people will get killed" is just wrong. Am I not right in thinking that most people who play games are able to tell the difference between a game and real life?

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    battal92
    Quote Originally Posted by sharky742 View Post
    I am amazed by the reaction of parts of the UK press regarding the release of the new GTA. Once again the ignorant Daily Mail is up in arms about social meltdown and how children will become killers and criminals. What a joke. I am 40 years old, and have been playing games since the zx spectrum 48k (rubber keyboard) and I have never killed anyone or stolen a car, or been in any way influenced by games in a negative way at all. When I was young I loved heavy metal music, but have never bitten the head off and animal (apart from gummy bears).

Gaming is form of entertainment that is enjoyed by a large cross section of society and for the press to jump on the band-wagon and say "this is horrid, people will get killed" is just wrong. Am I not right in thinking that most people who play games are able to tell the difference between a game and real life?
    You are thinking from one point of view, we may be smart enough to understand the difference between games and real life, but do you know how many people there are on earth? What makes you think all the kids are as smart as you when you were a kid?

Understanding the difference between gaming and real life may seem like common sense to you, in fact I think the same, but it may not to other people. Its all a matter of perspective. Some people may indeed grow up to become killers and thiefs, and the thing causing that may be gta...

PSU Live Streamer
    Hows this for GOOD news related to video games.....shame it'll never hit the public eye

source: http://kotaku.com/kids-buy-gta-v-hel...use-1337709783

Kids Buy GTA V, Help Save Man From Burning House

Two brothers, aged 17 and 16, were out late last night in Toronto picking up Grand Theft Auto V. That should have been the most exciting thing of the night, but nope. They had to go and help save an old man's life on the way home.

Returning from the store with their game, the pair came across a house on fire, with a 70 year-old man trapped inside. They called 911, then bust down his front door to try and save the occupant. The flames forced them back outside, however they had made the emergency call fast enough that the fire brigade got there in time to rescue the man.

Well done, gents. Hope the game was a little less dangerous.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

4. Likes MW2-LgNd likes this post

PSN ID
    matt1y77
    Quote Originally Posted by MW2-LgNd View Post
    You are thinking from one point of view, we may be smart enough to understand the difference between games and real life, but do you know how many people there are on earth? What makes you think all the kids are as smart as you when you were a kid?

Understanding the difference between gaming and real life may seem like common sense to you, in fact I think the same, but it may not to other people. Its all a matter of perspective. Some people may indeed grow up to become killers and thiefs, and the thing causing that may be gta...
    I totally agree with you about my own point of view, it the reaction in the press which I am objecting too. It is sad fact that a small percentage of society have issues which can lead them into doing things others would never dream of, but the triggers for this are many things, not just games. Yet its video games which seem to be today's target of choice for the press to whip up a storm about. The Daily mail seem to have a knee jerk reaction about anything to get reader`s and its just disappointing that they take this stance against anything they don't personal like.

BTW, thanks for saying i`m smart, but your wrong on that, i`m thick as two short planks!!!

6. Likes MW2-LgNd likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    battal92
    Quote Originally Posted by sharky742 View Post
    I totally agree with you about my own point of view, it the reaction in the press which I am objecting too. It is sad fact that a small percentage of society have issues which can lead them into doing things others would never dream of, but the triggers for this are many things, not just games. Yet its video games which seem to be today's target of choice for the press to whip up a storm about. The Daily mail seem to have a knee jerk reaction about anything to get reader`s and its just disappointing that they take this stance against anything they don't personal like.

BTW, thanks for saying i`m smart, but your wrong on that, i`m thick as two short planks!!!
    Haha no problem! You seem smart anyway

Yeah the media generalises things way too much, unfortunately. Its the same with many other things, which i dont wanna talk about as it causes many debates. But I agree with you, theres no need to say all, or even most gamers are like this, when its probably about 1% of all the gamers lol even if it was 10% it still shouldnt make much of a difference but i kinda do understand where they are coming from...

Veteran
    Did you guys watch the Niko reacts to GTA V video on youtube? It's kinda sad lol.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    I smoke because of GTA:SA. I wonder if I should call media. I am somewhat sure they will respond even to this.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Just enjoyed a nice smoke whilst playin the first mission with franklin...heh.

Thread Information