Forum Elder

PS4 could be in short supply up to 4 months

http://www.videogamer.com/news/ps4_c...er_launch.html

can someone copy and paste that.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    like we did not see this happen sony should have never taken all these pre-orders.
    i think they create these shortages to drive up high dememd for the console

PlayStation 4 "could be in short supply for up to four months after launch", sources close to Sony have told industry magazine MCV, suggesting that stock may not be freely available in the UK until March 2014.

MCV's report states that "the PlayStation UK team is in crucial talks to secure more PS4 consoles, after admitting it had underestimated how popular it would be.

"Sources close to the platform holder have told MCV that the current number of units expected in the UK is unlikely to satisfy demand. The machine could be in short supply for up to four months after launch".

Sony notified retailers to stop taking day one pre-orders for PlayStation 4 back in August, warning that any pre-orders placed after August 5 may not be satisfied for launch on November 29.

However, speaking to VideoGamer.com last month, Sony UK boss Fergal Gara said that additional launch stock may become available after final allocations had been worked out.

The console has won many customers over for its impressive specs and lower price than Xbox One, coming in 80 cheaper than Microsoft's next-gen console.

PlayStation 4 launches in the UK on November 29 for 349.

Source: MCV Issue 756
    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Forum Elder
    Thanks matt.

It just mentions uk but I dont expect it to be different here in the states. Every gamer I know wants one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I think Sony is concentrating their launch on the US market this time. But I'm sure there will be shortages here too. Odd news considering Jack Tretton was saying yield was so good that Sony was actually holding back some of its stock to ensure steady flow throughout the holiday season. Glad I preordered early.

Hopefully as i preordered mine way early ill get it release day. Ive had an email confirming i will but i suppose ill have to wait and see , i bloody hope so ive taken the day off work cos the wifes out all day..
    Last edited by archie123; 09-19-2013 at 18:46.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    I think Sony is concentrating their launch on the US market this time. But I'm sure there will be shortages here too. Odd news considering Jack Tretton was saying yield was so good that Sony was actually holding back some of its stock to ensure steady flow throughout the holiday season. Glad I preordered early.
    Yeah they may only be able to keep up with so much demand. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens. Happened with PS2 if I recall correctly. I remember the price on eBay was ridiculous for quite some time.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Veteran
    Well it is obvious stock won't be readily available right after launch, with so much demand it will be a bit tough to get your hands on one unless you preordered. Same goes for XBone since they don't even have as many preorders as PS4 but still they'll probably will only be able to accommodate what many units were preordered.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Announce that there will be short supply so people go out and by more because its in short supply.

Anyone in the UK that remembers the fuel crisis of 2000 can attest to that. Although where I worked there was always plenty of fuel, it never affected me. BP Saltend
    Last edited by keefy; 09-19-2013 at 19:20.

Forum Elder
    Well there is no region lock so is it possible to order from another country?

If there is stock available.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dedicated Member
    If they end up in short supply and ship 5 million units, friggen congratulations!

That would be alot of chips for AMD to ship on a custom new SOC when you consider they are doing the MS chip too.
    That's the interesting part. AMD is fabless. MS probably is having AMD handle fab (they could use anyone, but prefer Global Foundry, their own spinoff) but SONY could be paying for additional fab capacity from IBM or even Panasonic (Panasonic does fab their own microprocessors, though usually ARM based). Most likely it's all through TSMC as Global Foundry hasn't always kept up.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    If they end up in short supply and ship 5 million units, friggen congratulations!

That would be alot of chips for AMD to ship on a custom new SOC when you consider they are doing the MS chip too.
    That's the interesting part. AMD is fabless. MS probably is having AMD handle fab (they could use anyone, but prefer Global Foundry, their own spinoff) but SONY could be paying for additional fab capacity from IBM or even Panasonic (Panasonic does fab their own microprocessors, thought usually ARM based). Most likely it's all through TSMC as Global Foundry hasn't always kept up.
    Yeah running out of 5 million consoles is nothing to fret about.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Veteran
    Sweet Sweet music to my ears!
    Forza 5, Fifa 14, Battlefield 4 & Watchdogs - The Perfect Launch Line Up!

Master Sage
    EB Games in Australia already states all stock is gone til 2014.

https://ebgames.com.au/ps4-154706-Pl...-PlayStation-4

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    I am really not surprised by this, I actually expected this.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Should be back in supply by the time I can afford one. I reckon I'll wait for the PS+ IGC to build up a bit first.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Dedicated Member
    Amazon US treats me VERY well and i switched the preorder from SONY, who I actually have a hookup through (my old employer) to Amazon because i have to move between now and then and can't afford to have it goto the wrong address.
    I'm hoping for some GTAV Germany/UK action and get my system 2-4 days early
    One can dream! I at least believe I have my Day One console, thankfully!

So, how will the launch go?
    Hhahahha, well.
    PSN will get crushed, i assume people upgrading games from Assassins Creed and Battlefield 4 to the PS4 versions.
    Haters will be here, talking about it, because their network won't be down till they get their XBO's the next week.
    I'll be playing Kill Zone and PlanetSide while they talk about TitanFall and how Halo is coming, funny, i prefer to play games when my system launches.

Then, as everyone on PSN downloads Drive Club Day One edition, the system will continue to crash or be bogged down.
    Once we have it, we'll share the graphics to social media asking the XBONErs how Forza is, pointing out lush curbside vegetation, which they will deny is important as it involves graphics superiority and has nothing to do with uh.. well, they'll just deny it, how they do that.

The following week, while i'm playing PlanetSide 2 and my other games, they will continue to tell me how great TitanFall is, except i'll be blowing past that for info on how to get around PlanetSide and cracking open WatchDogs finally.

When, people who have accents will be complaining how XBO isn't recognizing their voice inputs, not just 'foreign' accents. but, southern and north eastern. I expect to hear little or nothing about NFL and the XBO features and that could be a huge bust.
    I'm also anticipating people shouting loudly XBOX OFF to turn people's systems off remotely. Wonder if that will work as well as the demo did?

These are my expectations and are not meant in anyway to bait people, so don't offer to ban me again so I can't click your ads and not earn you revenue, thanks.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    That 5 million mile marker Sony set for themselves just got a little further away. It's always hard to meet such demands at launch. Always has been.

Forum Elder
    no jon w. Youll be hitting the pause button and checking out videos others have uploaded to find your way around planetside.

Ill be on killzone also while driveclub is downloading and installing.

Add me, psn id = madpirahna

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    no jon w. Youll be hitting the pause button and checking out videos others have uploaded to find your way around planetside.

Ill be on killzone also while driveclub is downloading and installing.

Add me, psn id = madpirahna

But i believe PSN will be Crashing the first 2 or more days under the crush, lol. And then Live will be crashing too. I'm also hoping that they render lighting and special effects in the cloud.
    Both of their networks probably won't be ready. So, i'll likely end up on GameFAQ
    I'm only getting PS4 but i wish the haters what they deserve.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I doubt Live will be crashing if MS has their cloud servers all up and running day one but I guess its possible. PSN will definitley crash seeing as how Sony's cloud service wont be ready till 2014 starting with the US.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    That 5 million mile marker Sony set for themselves just got a little further away. It's always hard to meet such demands at launch. Always has been.
    Could be worse though, MS will be lucky to reach 2 mill in the same timeframe given what we have seen thus far from pre-orders and deliverables etc

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    I doubt Live will be crashing if MS has their cloud servers all up and running day one but I guess its possible. PSN will definitley crash seeing as how Sony's cloud service wont be ready till 2014 starting with the US.

You don't need 'cloud' to download, just LOADS of file transfer bandwidth. I just think PSN will be getting hammered from ACBF and BF4 upgrade downloads as well as Planetside 2 and Drive Club Day One Downloads all from 11am on 11/15 to 9pm on 11/17 or 11/19, as well as supporting KZ and WD gameplay. It's going to be an ALL AT ONCE crush on servers without REAL world testing.

Live might survive due to what might be far lower resource requests

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    you should say something like that at IGN in the xbox section. LOL If anyone shows less than 100% praise to Xbox, They'll all blitz.

So if Sony meets their goal, they will have sold over 5 million and on top of that they will be short in supply for a few months. That's a heck of a lot of PS4's for only 2 months.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    You don't need 'cloud' to download, just LOADS of file transfer bandwidth. I just think PSN will be getting hammered from ACBF and BF4 upgrade downloads as well as Planetside 2 and Drive Club Day One Downloads all from 11am on 11/15 to 9pm on 11/17 or 11/19, as well as supporting KZ and WD gameplay. It's going to be an ALL AT ONCE crush on servers without REAL world testing. Live might survive due to what might be far lower resource requests
    I see what you did there. lol And yeah PSN will be getting hammered hard on launch day.

Thread Information