Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

GTA 5 Ongoing Review

I really don't know where to start. Since I can't play the game more than a couple of hours each day and I don't have much time to write as well but I really want to write about this game. So I want to create this thread where I can sort of talk key points about the game (non-spoiler) that are just indescribably. It's that good.

So it's not perfect lol but it's still the best game of this generation by far and this is without online part yet.

Just a couple of things I wanted to talk about, very quickly.

Characters - Sorry for those that didn't know this game has multiple lead characters

Not going into description to keep some spoiler info away.

Characters are just awesome. I'm in love with them. First dude is probably the best one done overall, most believable and he is very much like the lead from GTA:SA. I think the rich guy has more depth but they sort of messed up on certain aspects about his psych. It doesn't add up but players won't notice these small things as it's obvious R* obviously did not. Third character (rural area) is cool too but my least fav at the moment. I really liked him in the trailers but just not clicking here. Not very believable and his voice at times just doesn't match up.

Missions

Wow, R*...thanks for knocking my socks off. Yes, the side missions can be ho-hum at times. but the main missions are just astoundingly good. I get so sucked into it, it's awesome. one thing they did was they added their own music during the missions, totally rad and makes sense. if you're about to do something big, you don't wanna be listening to some cheesy song on the radio...too random. this makes this sandbox game likely the most immersive one on the planet.

the biggest issue with sandbox games is that random experience, it can be good for some but not for everyone. this removes the issue and gets you into missions.

i really felt from the moment i put the disc in the console, that everything is going to be worth doing and playing. this feeling hasn't been there for me since...the GTA on the PS2. That's been almost a decade.

Graphics

Again, I have no $#@!ing idea...how they were able to manage these graphics with this hardware...well, I do but I have no $#@!ing idea how others can't do what R* has done. Even ignoring the fact that this game is an open-world and HUGE...i mean, $#@!ing HUGE...it still looks one of the best graphics ever...and if you do not ignore its size, then these are the best graphics for a sandbox ever.

Granted, some areas are OK and sometimes can look downright ugly, especially in the beginning of the game (so give it some time), but you have to get over that, that happens everywhere, in every game. Every time I think that this is the most amazing-looking part of the game but then I'm proven wrong. Everything feels big, it's not like the older GTAs where you feel like everything looks the same.

Yes, the frame rate isn't top notch but it doesn't get in the way and I can't expect much when the game looks freaking awesome.

Cars look better than some racing video games. The world is colorful and full of people and objects and you can see them from much further than ever before. There's hardly any pop-in. Draw distance is astounding. It's difficult for me to explain in such little time but the game looks more animated than 3D graphics. It's too beautiful for a 3D game. Much of that has to do with the upgraded lighting. Really makes a difference and sets the mood. Think of RDR and then put that on steriods.

Map - light spoiler

I think I covered most of this in my earlier comments but the maps are literally a combination of GTA:SA (replica actually), GTA:Vice City and "possibly but not sure" GTA4/GTA3. I can't confirm about New York but I think there is a city there that has tall buildings...I'm guessing they're trying to replicate some of it but I haven't noticed if it's NY or not.

More details to come...maybe...yes, this is still a lot of reading but i type 80 wpm.

2. Likes claud3, 33x likes this post
    Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    80 words a minute? Is that all? Pah. Speed up...

Forum Overseer
    challenge accepted.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Wow, R*...thanks for knocking my socks off. Yes, the side missions can be ho-hum at times. but the main missions are just astoundingly good. I get so sucked into it, it's awesome. one thing they did was they added their own music during the missions, totally rad and makes sense. if you're about to do something big, you don't wanna be listening to some cheesy song on the radio...too random. this makes this sandbox game likely the most immersive one on the planet.

the biggest issue with sandbox games is that random experience, it can be good for some but not for everyone. this removes the issue and gets you into missions.

i really felt from the moment i put the disc in the console, that everything is going to be worth doing and playing. this feeling hasn't been there for me since...the GTA on the PS2. That's been almost a decade.

.....i type 80 wpm.
    Well well well, Mr. Speedy Fingers. Looks like you failed to capitalize the first words in a couple sentences.... tsk tsk.
    Last edited by shepard; 09-20-2013 at 17:10.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Forum Overseer
    i do that on purpose lol.

Forum Overseer
    one thing i forgot to add is the nice little update to the cops.

they are a little more annoying as they will try to do the pit maneuver but more importantly, they made stealth a little more realistic. you can now sort of hide in places where cops can't see you and they won't know where you are. but they will look for you.

they won't always know who you are either, so you can participate in crime and watch the cops get to the spot where the crime happened and not know who did it. i don't think it's fool-proof but it's a drastic change from before.

they're more deadly but they are easier to shrug off as well. bullets don't hurt you much from afar but up close, it's a couple of shots to the chest.

only thing i wish they had put in...well two but one is that they should make it that if there are no witnesses, the cops don't get called...ESPECIALLY if you have a suppressed weapon.

i've noticed if you shoot animals, suppressed weapons do work as i didn't get a star but killing two people in the middle of nowhere got the stars...maybe someone else was looking too? not sure.

also this game would require the ability to crouch and laying down, which sadly isn't there...would've opened up a new dynamic in the game.
    Last edited by Omar; 09-20-2013 at 18:22.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    I will being putting my own review up soon...

Awesome review
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

!! Watch Your Step !!
    Items Final Fantasy VIIPlayStationPS3 Slim
    here is my 10 second review, its foo kin awesome, incredible for a current gen title, massive production value and great scripting. best GTA ever. now bring on the online part.
    Now Playing: PS4!!!!

Join us for some online LOLZ - The BnW Clan est. 2008

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    one thing i forgot to add is the nice little update to the cops.

they are a little more annoying as they will try to do the pit maneuver but more importantly, they made stealth a little more realistic. you can now sort of hide in places where cops can't see you and they won't know where you are. but they will look for you.

they won't always know who you are either, so you can participate in crime and watch the cops get to the spot where the crime happened and not know who did it. i don't think it's fool-proof but it's a drastic change from before.

they're more deadly but they are easier to shrug off as well. bullets don't hurt you much from afar but up close, it's a couple of shots to the chest.

only thing i wish they had put in...well two but one is that they should make it that if there are no witnesses, the cops don't get called...ESPECIALLY if you have a suppressed weapon.

i've noticed if you shoot animals, suppressed weapons do work as i didn't get a star but killing two people in the middle of nowhere got the stars...maybe someone else was looking too? not sure.

also this game would require the ability to crouch and laying down, which sadly isn't there...would've opened up a new dynamic in the game.
    I agree.
    The cops are a huge improvement, but really wish the witness mechanic from RDR was implemented.
    Leaving out crouch and prone was really disappointing, especially for GTAOnline when I want to do some proper sniping action. My cars that I spend thousands on tend to disappear sometimes.
    I wish they kept the ability to tap triangle to get out of the car fast while leaving the engine on and the radio still on, or hold it to turn off the car completely. That was a great touch in GTAIV, I liked being able to get out of the car to do something random but to still be able to hear the radio that I was listing to in the car just at a lower volume.
    I also was hoping they brought back hydrolics for the low riders, that was a fun touch to SA.
    Not really much to complain about other that a few minor things that I just mentioned, this game is close to perfect. I just love how much detail they added. The weather is amazing! rain look so good this time, and the puddles on the streets, and how whatever's under you tires will spit out from under you if you peel out.
    The sound of your engine winding down after you turn it off. Your clothes getting wet when you jump into water. The little things bring out the life in the city.
    I can't get enough GTAV, I'm gonna get back to playing it right now

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    From my experience so far..the cops are quite dumb. They speed past at ridiculous speeds...crash, get stuck...get confused. Even at four stars, very agressive, but thick as $#@!. Lol.

Forum Overseer
    i think they did that on purpose. cops would be that dumb in real life...or i mean, that's normal. how would they know how you are anyway?

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Seriously, i wish i had recorded it and shown you the video...you would agree with me haha

Forum Overseer
    well i'll give you benefit of the doubt because i still have yet to play this game thoroughly. i did notice that they're slightly dumber. but i kind of liked it lol. before they were too smart.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    It is pretty funny to be fair, i am enjoying it in short bursts...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    The third character, one of my favorites on all games. He's what most "outsiders" think of when they hear GTA. Some of his dialogue is also hilarious. Things get funny in a dialogue him and another character later (you'll know it when you get to it, he calls him something). My complaint with him though is he seems to change once you get out of the country and into the city. Like they knew he didn't fit there if they kept him the way he was so they gradually changed him.

Missions... it actually didn't even feel like GTA at times. No more exact same missions we did on GTA:III, or if they were, they at least had major variation. I won't feel fatigued whenever I get around to starting up a new game, as there are a few times I've wanted to go about things differently (I know there's a replay function, but for the sake of it all I'll do a new game at one point).

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by ttech10 View Post
    The third character, one of my favorites on all games. He's what most "outsiders" think of when they hear GTA. Some of his dialogue is also hilarious. Things get funny in a dialogue him and another character later (you'll know it when you get to it, he calls him something). My complaint with him though is he seems to change once you get out of the country and into the city. Like they knew he didn't fit there if they kept him the way he was so they gradually changed him.
    Yeah, I can see that happening. Because the first mission in the city, he changes his behavior right away.

My problem with the character is that he's usually babbling most of the time and he's predictable. What I like about the first guy is that he's genuine and his character makes sense. The second guy definitely has a lot more going on and I like that about him as well...overall he's a very balanced out character.

Missions... it actually didn't even feel like GTA at times. No more exact same missions we did on GTA:III, or if they were, they at least had major variation. I won't feel fatigued whenever I get around to starting up a new game, as there are a few times I've wanted to go about things differently (I know there's a replay function, but for the sake of it all I'll do a new game at one point).
    I totally agree. What else I love about the missions are the pacing. They really put you in really awesome missions from the getgo, a HUGE change in the way series worked in the past. It was the same crap in the past.

I also like how they just throw you in some stuff that you'd expect to do at the end of the game. My biggest problem with ANY game is that they always give you the best $#@! at the end...like, seriously? WHY! Just give me the good $#@! so I can enjoy it throughout the game!

Rockstar is doing it right.

I wanted to add a couple more things that I noticed as I was playing and I didn't add these. These are big deals imo.

1) Due to the draw distance AND the closer objects being in so much detail and not popping in and out, it really gives you this amazing immersive feeling that you're living and breathing in this environment.

2) Environments feel so 3D! Roads are so freaking amazingly detailed...more so than even GT5, dare I say? Every place looks so well thought-out, it doesn't just look like a pile of space with generic uncreative stuff....everything looks like it was naturally like that or man-made. That is a huge deal in a game like this.

3) Lighting, I can't say enough about lighting. It all comes together when you see a truck coming down your way with its bright white lights shining at you, glistening the road, and that moonlight giving a slight blue hue into your surroundings...now imagine that you can still see everything around you but just very dark and beautiful. Really, I can't describe it without thinking of the words very carefully. It's really indescribable!

Rockstar has done a miracle.

18. Likes hoverbike, ttech10 likes this post
    Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Agree with your additional mentions.

And I just finished the last mission and it definitely picked up. Everything seemed to just speed up at a certain point and as fun as the rest of the game was, I really enjoyed the last mission, because the way I did it you almost had free reign to go about it as you wish.

I'm not sure which character I'm going to be playing with the most. One character fits the rampage part of the game, another fits the more business approach and the other the driving and exploring.

It's definitely a great game. Obviously there are some things I'd change, but for the most part it's only positive. I like how there are parts of the map you never have to go to for the story so it leaves you with more to check out on your own either throughout the game or the end. I have a lot of places to go check out now and thankfully the added the Place of Interest markers so I can set where I want to revisit (mainly for photos).

20. Likes Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Forgot to mention about shadows! I keep talking about the lighting effects but I keep forgetting about shadows. You have to agree that with the sheer size of this game, the shadows have to be the best in any game on the market (consoles). You can't show me one game that is this big and does it this well.

This was the first thing I noticed and it just makes everything come together. The shadows look top notch and every bit of tree creates a nice little reflection on your vehicles. Just amazing overall, just the visual part itself makes the game worth it.

I have not been bored one bit by just driving around, it always feels fresh to me! I think I will be playing this game 6 months from now!

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    They are definitely done well. I love that they even have shadows for aircraft, like the blimp. I thought that was pretty cool.

Those mixed with the good environment that you mentioned earlier definitely make sit nice to drive out in the country/mountains. I get free upgrades to the purchasable car custom shop out there so get a good backroad vehicle and drive through the mountains. Also have to make some long drives from the Grove Street garage.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    I am using trevor alot, and making him cycle everywhere. Fat $#@!...you WILL get in shape...haha.

24. Likes MW2-LgNd likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Heat195
    I think the rich guy has more depth but they sort of messed up on certain aspects about his psych. It doesn't add up but players won't notice these small things as it's obvious R* obviously did not.
    **Minor Spoilers** You bring up a point I keep forgetting but something I don't get, did Mike ever go to jail and serve time since he was left behind from that one thing at the start of the game or what? How is he that rich when he got caught? Its not like you get to keep everything you stole and just serve some time in the klink.

Same here, same here. I agree with most of your thoughts about the graphics and lighting, etc. Its the best lighting I have ever seen in a video game which makes a massive difference, Driv3r did this so well on the PS2. It was the same intense experience as the first time playing Driver 2, Driv3r, and others.

Even ignoring the fact that this game is an open-world and HUGE...i mean, $#@!ing HUGE...it still looks one of the best graphics ever...and if you do not ignore its size, then these are the best graphics for a sandbox ever.
    Yep, that point about everything looking huge in this game which is something the PS2 era GTAs did not have is a really good one that is being overlooked. Its more life-like. Everything about the environment is insane but the water and mountains just get me every time...like how is this a video game? I know I'm new to this generation and not used to the scope of these games but the features of geology shown are so mind-boggling.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by hoverbike View Post
    **Minor Spoilers** You bring up a point I keep forgetting but something I don't get, did Mike ever go to jail and serve time since he was left behind from that one thing at the start of the game or what? How is he that rich when he got caught? Its not like you get to keep everything you stole and just serve some time in the klink.

Same here, same here. I agree with most of your thoughts about the graphics and lighting, etc. Its the best lighting I have ever seen in a video game which makes a massive difference, Driv3r did this so well on the PS2. It was the same intense experience as the first time playing Driver 2, Driv3r, and others.
    Sometimes I can't even believe how they did it...the character details are better than most shooter games...and this is a massive open-world game!
    Yep, that point about everything looking huge in this game which is something the PS2 era GTAs did not have is a really good one that is being overlooked. Its more life-like. Everything about the environment is insane but the water and mountains just get me every time...like how is this a video game? I know I'm new to this generation and not used to the scope of these games but the features of geology shown are so mind-boggling.
    oh yea, especially for someone who hasn't played many games this generation. and i have and i'm still blown away.

the city is beautiful but what gets me everytime is the desert. it's just perfect...best desert environment ever in a video game.

not to mention, the lighting conditions totally change the way the terrain looks. this rivals next-gen right now.

Thread Information