Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427

PS4 Login w/ Face Recognition.

When the PlayStation 4 launches this November, the PlayStation Eye camera will enable you to sign into the console using just your face. Unlike its Microsoft counterpart, Kinect, the Eye won't allow much more control of the system. At least not initially. "At the time of launch, first the face recognition is for the purpose of logging in," SVP and Division President of Business Division 1 at Sony Computer Entertainment Masayasu Ito told Engadget in an interview this afternoon.
    Beyond face recognition for log in -- something Sony's still not shown to the press or public -- PS4 users with an Eye will also be able to use voice "from the game page." Ito said, "Game titles could be called in and then the game could start." But in the future, Ito said the PS4's camera will go further. There's no voice or gesture command in the UI beyond what's described above, but he foresees more in-game use. "That's as far as it goes, but continuous updates, it can go deeper. Make it with greater depth. With face recognition, we think about how that could be used in the context of the game," he said. He sadly wouldn't go further, but demos like The Playroom -- a game that's included on the PS4 at launch -- offer an example of how the Eye will work in games. As for more UI control, well, we're hopeful that that's part of the "continuous updates" Ito promised.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/20/p...4-eye-details/

This is some great news, add to this the up to four players login, this will allow for different users to login separately w/o entering a password and keeping it somewhat secure.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    glad i ordered my ps4 with the pseye

3. Likes MartyRules likes this post
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Doh! I'm glad you said that. I just recalled that I was getting the eye later. Heading to amazon.com to order an PS4 Eye.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    lol glad i could help, its a nice tech. still have the ps3 version for psn chat

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    I didn't preorder, but watching the playstationaccess channel on youtube persuaded me to pick on up day one. I'm glad playroom comes preinstalled and it'll have just about every feature of kinect while being cheaper

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    I may buy the new Playstation Camera later on.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Now this makes me wonder...what if MS presented the kinect the same way as Sony, would we all think differently about it? Just wondering, either way the news that is coming out about the PSeye as of recent seems brilliant at best. It makes me want to consider buying the deice because of all of the capabilities and the fact that it is not mandatory.
    Last edited by Saigon; 09-20-2013 at 19:43.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    This is an interesting development. Sounds like it will shape up to be a decent bit of kit...will be interesting to see what the attach rate is for Sony's cam.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Georgia]

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/20/p...4-eye-details/

This is some great news, add to this the up to four players login, this will allow for different users to login separately w/o entering a password and keeping it somewhat secure.

Given it's currently limited use, good move by SONY on not forcing it down our throats.
    The one feature , the only feature, i demand/care about is one which the camera can make a depthmap of my face and then put me on characters in games. Otherwise, i don't need the camera.

11. Likes Leviticus, Linconan, SkarEffect likes this post
    PSN ID
    Loopoiu
    I think it's great that sony made this optional because I wouldn't be using this sadly

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    Given it's currently limited use, good move by SONY on not forcing it down our throats.
    The one feature , the only feature, i demand/care about is one which the camera can make a depthmap of my face and then put me on characters in games. Otherwise, i don't need the camera.
    I would like the idea of being able to scan my face and put them on characters I create. I would also like it, if the playstation camera can scan your whole body too.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by SkarEffect View Post
    I would like the idea of being able to scan my face and put them on characters I create. I would also like it, if the playstation camera can scan your whole body too.
    Rainbow Six Vegas series already did that on current gen, it's up to devs

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    DynamicSun
    Quote Originally Posted by SkarEffect View Post
    I may buy the new Playstation Camera later on.

Veteran
    This is great news, Cameras seem a big thing nxt-gen. Just how good is the new PS Eye?
    Forza 5, Fifa 14, Battlefield 4 & Watchdogs - The Perfect Launch Line Up!

Forum Overseer
    Nice. I really wanted something like this seeing Kinect would likely be doing something like this.

Just another way for them to sell the camera i guess.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    This is an interesting development. Sounds like it will shape up to be a decent bit of kit...will be interesting to see what the attach rate is for Sony's cam.

The way I see it Sony becomes more "trustworthy" and "loyal" in the eyes of consumers by making the camera optional, in the long run they make a lot more money for their video games division selling it separately than if it was bundled in e.g. in Australia alone the camera costs $88 a bit of a mark up compared to the americans but Sony makes a lot of money and creates that free choice to consumers ,consumers hate being told they need to buy extra things to make something accessible but at the same time it's nicer to say hey "you don't need it right now" save your pennies and you can have it later, I don't see many camera "only" games being released until late 2014 at least, I think more people will buy the camera this time round because everyone is more socially connected these days, sure most of us don't like talking to strangers it's weird but bundling in a headset and giving us the camera option will be a great leap forward it will make gamers interact with each other better than ever it will create a nice open friendly playing field and help "some people" create new friendships and social gaming groups and for some it will even help them come out of their shell and interact with people they wouldn't associate with normally and maybe make a friend or two.

I think the broadcasting option is phenomenal as well reminds me of when you go to an Arcade and there's a bunch of people standing around your machine watching your session and it just creates that warm arcade competitive atmosphere at home in a sense.

I don't see voice commands as compelling on a home video games console or any other television connected device for that matter, on a mobile phone sure it's great to press the home button on your iPhone and say "remind me next tuesday at 11am that I need to go to the dentist at 1:30pm" etc and a reminder is created, you see a phone is a device that 95% of us keep on us at all times or close by so voice commands just don't matter on a video games console, I would hate it if someone came over and interrupted my gaming session by using a common expression and made my game come to a complete halt because of something like that, I find it much easier to turn on my TV and change channels if I wanted to watch TV, I have a smart TV so it trains itself to turn on particular devices in tandem with each other depending on the situation so I don't need voice commands most of the time I only need my TV remote, Playstation remote or my blu-ray remote and one of each controllers does the same thing that's the beauty of modern remotes, it even turns on the surround sound system and I think I'm going off topic here but that's all one needs.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

19. Likes F34R likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by adzzzman View Post
    I think it's great that sony made this optional because I wouldn't be using this sadly
    Glad it's a choice, and I won't use facial recognition to log in either. Still, props for it being a choice on whether I have the camera or not.

Forum Overseer
    who cares if it's a choice when the camera is going to be worthless.

Elite Sage

Will it still recognise someone even if they had an accident?

Sounds good though. Still not enough to warrant me buying one though. I'm going to be playing only a few feet away from my TV so it probably wont work great for me

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    They'd probably have to recalibrate.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    It's that bad?
    Forza 5, Fifa 14, Battlefield 4 & Watchdogs - The Perfect Launch Line Up!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    To most people no, it serves as the next leap forward in gaming, seeing who you are playing with and organising events face to face is a good thing it encourages people to behave and not be little C%$#* online sure there's going to be little farks and a bunch of $#@!s here and there but most peoples feelings and attitudes will change over time, not having a camera you'll soon feel like you're living in the past and you don't want to come into the next gen with old school expectations.

Accept now that at least at the very least half a million people will probably have a camera with their system already, 12 people I know are getting the PS4 eye with their playstation 4 consoles, 5 aren't these are people I work with as well it seems more people than you think will get a PS4 EYE because it will serve its purpose, it'll be great being able to just talk to people like normal and not through a headset all the time and to broadcast yourself playing games, doing this while being able to cross chat is a huge bonus, friends can watch you play and help you by talking to you while you play, it's great and you'll probably get a camera sooner than you think.

A camera is a cheap no brainer for most and its just like having milk with your coffee or having an included front camera in your smart phone, it's not necessary but it's a nice feature to have.

Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post

Sounds good though. Still not enough to warrant me buying one though. I'm going to be playing only a few feet away from my TV so it probably wont work great for me
    Ofcourse it won't recognise you after an accident, do you think your friends would immediately recognise you after an accident ?? and even if that 1 in 3 million chance did happen there's always buttons and a touch pad.

It has two 3D camera's that are able to zoom in and out with ease and recognise objects and people from 30 feet away trust me it will work just fine with you sitting at the back of your room
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    To me it sounds like the Eye will try to match kinect in in-game features so that 3rd party games can be kind of similar on both consoles. Other than that I don't see any big wave of features coming to it.

Sent from Windows Phone using Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Um, I bet the people who wouldn't want something worthless mandatory to pay for... that's the benefit of it being a choice.

Elite Sage

Quote Originally Posted by chriharr View Post

Ofcourse it won't recognise you after an accident, do you think your friends would immediately recognise you after an accident ?? and even if that 1 in 3 million chance did happen there's always buttons and a touch pad.
    I actually mean something subtle like having a black eye or if you've had an allergic reaction and get a swollen face. In which case, yes my friends would recognise me.

It has two 3D camera's that are able to zoom in and out with ease and recognise objects and people from 30 feet away trust me it will work just fine with you sitting at the back of your room
    I'm not saying it can't work from far away. I'm saying i'm not sure how well it will work when I'm less than 2' away as i'll be playing at a desk.

Regardless, I don't want the camera unless I can see a genuine benefit for me. I'm sure there will eventually be a use for the camera that will make we want it but as it stands i'm glad it's not included

Thread Information