Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Unaidedhippo5

Proper CM speed grind methods

The past several days I've seen people do Castrum Meridiandum several different ways. Some claim to be "Speed Runs" and only about 3 thats I've done really were speed runs. Like 15-22 minute runs.

I got into a group of players yesterday who knew their roles as palyers and stuck to them. Within 4 hours we had run CM 6 times. But anyway Hes there set up and how we ran different parts of it.

1 Tank, 2 Heals, 2 close range, 2 ranged dps, 1 BLM (for LB specifically)

Off the break in the first section the tank grabbed all the mobs and ran straight for the Boss section. There was ZERO fighting. When we go to the 1st boss, DPS slaughtered him and ignored all adds while tank picked them up and kited everything, Heals can also spam Holy here while BLM does AoE. Boss was done in under 2 minutes. Now after the boss is done, the CS happens, after the CS the adds are still there, so the Tank stays behind while everyone goes through the garbage chute.
    Normally this whole first section takes people about 10 minutes to do. Took us 3 because of the running.

Second area you do normally. You have to fight adds to get the explosives but once you do that, theres again, no reason to fight so the tank carried them all to 2nd boss room.

This was the tricky part but still not bad. Tank pulls to left door, DPS ignores adds and burns Boss BLM does AoE. On the second wave of Adds, the BLM drops the LB to clear ALL of them. Thats why we brought him/her. After that, just finish up the boss and go. once again took us about 3 minutes on Boss and 6 minutes on that whole stretch. So far our run is at 9-10 minutes.

After Cid blasts the door, tank grabs everything and dps uses the cannons on them. Then immediately runs to the next set. The mobs to the ramp on the left need to go as well so you dont have to mess with them on the way out after 3rd boss. Blast away at the second mob group by the train station with the cannons then into the 3rd boss's area. This one is simple. Tank kept boss in the top corner of the ramp, DPS burned then pulled adds to tank and AoE them. On the way out dont use return, just sprint back to the cannons, take out giants. (If giants destroy cannons we.... It's man mode time) Because of the wait time for CID!!! Our time is now at 15 minutes solid right before fighting Juvia or whatever her name is.

For this fight, just load all 4 cannons then "try" to fire simultaneously, its kinda hard with bad communication but whatever. Keep her in the center, if you have aggro from an add run to the center so the cannons blow them up instead of fighting them. Once again....this is a Speed Run. Your DPS is not above 3000. The longest part about this fight is simply loading the damn cannons.
    The second part of the fight shes now off her Gorgeous Majicktec Paladin and you get to kick her butt. Once again, it's simple. Tank pulls her to back of area, DPS Kite and burn, BLM uses AoE, and WHM can spam holy if they're not healing. Avoid her straight line atk. When the big dude spawns, Ignore him too. He doesnt do that much damage and the WHM are good enough at this point in the game to recover you quickly while also healing tank.

Using this method we we're doing like I said, 15-22 minute runs.

PSN: Unaidedhippo5 - Dust514:Ye Be Gods - FFXIV:ARR: Yeshua Insignia

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Unaidedhippo5
    The 2nd method that I've done several times and works fast as well is having a party of

1 tank, 1 WHM, 6 DPS. (If you use this method you'll want some magic users for AoE)

It's the exact same run but with an added DPS so you're WHM has to be pretty good. The Added DPS can shorten boss times buy up to 10 seconds or so, nothing fancy but if you go with 2 or more BLMs it's going to be a lot cleaner run because they're killing all the adds.

EDIT: Just recently found out there is another way to do the same but with 2 tanks, 2 heals and 4 dps. The second Tank is mainly for pulling mobs inbetween bosses 1 and 2 while still being able to fight. That could bring the time down a bit as well.

I had an idea with that second tank though. If someone is willing to try it with me to see if it works that would be a HUGE time saver. Like up to 2-3 minutes.

You know how after boss 3 most people port back to the beginning then run to the cannons to take out the Giants? Well what if one tank stayed out of the Boss 3 fight and synced it so when everyone is leaving it he was already pulling the giants to the cannons?? You guys think that might work?
    Last edited by Unaidedhipo5; 09-24-2013 at 10:36. Reason: IDEA!

Administrator and Visionary
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awesome info! We need to start doing this with that set up. The sooner people are DLd up the better. Also, a good tip for sync firing the cannons is to choose a clock time about 5-10 secs away then you have a proper countdown.

I'll be on in about an hour. Think I'll do 6 runs and get my set.

Also, we should have people calling targets so that DPS can be more focussed.
    Last edited by Ghost; 09-22-2013 at 13:15.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Azimuth85
    Items Iron MaidenFinal Fantasy TacticsJoker (limited ICON)Baby ChocoboLightning
    sign me up. If you wanted to have a set time for 1 or 2 fast runs I'd be all about it. Maybe a couple on the weekends. I just hate random groups that takes 45 mins.

PSN ID : Azimuth85

Administrator and Visionary
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth85 View Post
    sign me up. If you wanted to have a set time for 1 or 2 fast runs I'd be all about it. Maybe a couple on the weekends. I just hate random groups that takes 45 mins.
    Chille an co. have been having probs with useless DF groups. I have 100% Darklight gear, 53 runs, done before the speed run craze (40-45 min runs) and during it (25-30 mins and with Yesh's way, 15-22) so I can say I'ma good authority on this:

DF is by far the most inefficient way to get your DL gear. It is much better to spend 15-20 mins amassing a group of speed runners who know how to clear CM quickly and understand their roles than to use DF getting, waiting 30+ mins for people that have never even done it before and others that generally suck. You will also find that these self made teams will often want to do a few runs so there is no waiting time.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Azimuth85
    Yeah when I used the duty finder for CM the VERY first time it was a headache. I was going through it for the first time for story and everyone was $#@!ing about me looking at the movies.

but the best groups were when someone was hosting a fc run and needed 1 or 2 people, and being a healer i can just go into any group.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Bluehazeburnout
    Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth85 View Post
    Yeah when I used the duty finder for CM the VERY first time it was a headache. I was going through it for the first time for story and everyone was $#@!ing about me looking at the movies.

but the best groups were when someone was hosting a fc run and needed 1 or 2 people, and being a healer i can just go into any group.
    I think i will be a pain when i first do the run, not only do i need to learn how to tank the dungeon but also see the movies

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Azimuth85
    you guys think that you would be interested in doing AK runs till we can do CM?

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    I am fine with AK
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    yeah im getting sick of DF groups... too much disorganization not enough cohesive party members
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Azimuth85
    they get the job done but it's not pretty.

I was hesitant to getting DL gear but idk... the AK gear for mages looks like a Goodwill giveaway

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Unaidedhippo5
    Yeah guys if your interested in doing Ak until you can hit CM, I made a LinkShell solely for AK runs. It's got about 50+ people in it now, and so far tonight theres been at least one group constantly doing it. Not the same people if you get me. I'll send out LS invites to everyone that has mentioned here so far.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Azimuth85
    i wanna be in this LS!

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Id like to join. My thing that has stoped me from doing anything is lag. Its there and its just this game. Hundreds of people are having same issue check out the page on the forum. At times it makes me useless especially with get out the way fights.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Azimuth85
    ill be online in about an hour if anyone wants to CM it up. Shinjo, would love to go with. I've pretty much grouped with almost everyone except you (I think)

Miqo'te Bard
    I wont be online till late tonight if then.

Thread Information