You guys are crazy.
    Its obvs #truthfact

Sent via Xperia B6000 Tapatalk
    PSN = GgT-Wolves-FC

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    Just show me the blade/tab/box that says 'game', the rest of it can smoke my fat one

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Veteran
    I recently bought a new gaming laptop and it came with Windows 8 installed, since Windows 7 is no longer installed for new machines. Really didn't know what to expect when booting it up and it was quite an experience. Long story short, Windows 8 boots up to the Start screen. That is what the Windows 8 interface is, they have taken the Start button and turned it into a Start screen. It's really stupid, there is even the word Start at the top but it is just a non-interactive label. When it first came up, I was stunned at how useless this interface was. Again, long story short, after fiddling with it for awhile, I removed about 80% of the default icons. The other big thing I found out is that Start screen is actually like a regular windows panel that had removed the minimize/maximize/close buttons usually at the top right of the panel. This Start screen is now closed with Alt-F4. And guess what? When it is closed, there is Desktop underneath it. The whole bootup and Start panel are just gimmicky layers over a Windows that is not much changed from Windows 7. It is typical Microsoft, they just moved everything around and changed a whole bunch of settings, giving less control to the user. Anyway, I kept fiddling with it and it now looks and feels more like a Windows 7 machine.

Windows 8.1 is bringing back the Start button but it doesn't look like much is going to change. I think I counted at least 3 buttons on Windows 8 that bring that Start panel back up. And it finally occurred to me what Microsoft is doing. They are trying to make the word "Start" be the same as the word "App". Everything is directed to getting you to the MS App store. That is going to be a dud. They finally gave up on Live for the PC and this appears to be the next step. The metro icons are OK with a touch screen and maybe with a controller but it totally sucks for a PC. It's just another way to have application start up icons in another place besides the desktop and taskbar. It's really redundant and treats the user as a functional illiterate. This is not going to turn out well, it's doubtful businesses are going to adopt that interface and Microsoft has made it at least have the look and feel the same across platforms, from PC to notebook to tablet to smart phone. That App store is dead on arrival.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

4. Likes D3seeker likes this post
    Forum Elder
    a great looking and clean interface, looks like MS will deliver the best front end yet again..

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Ugh. Windows 8. Not a fan. Also, wow at these factpions.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    I will agree with speed - and even then, one would have to be at snail's pace, and the other lightning fast. From what we've been shown, I can't see speed being a negative factor on either one. Features? To me are a wash; unless it's a gaming prohibitive/enhancing feature that is missing; I don't care to count straws in that regard.
    If it is comparing the Xbox 360 GUI and the PS3, I don't see it as counting straws at all. The PS3 had many restrictions due to the limited amount of memory dedicated to the OS, and that easily lead to the 360 having a very noticeable lead in speed and functionality. But of course the Xbox One and PS4 are an entirely different story that has yet to be seen. Microsoft may have had the lead last gen, but this next generation is anyone's guess as of current.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    If it is comparing the Xbox 360 GUI and the PS3, I don't see it as counting straws at all. The PS3 had many restrictions due to the limited amount of memory dedicated to the OS, and that easily lead to the 360 having a very noticeable lead in speed and functionality. But of course the Xbox One and PS4 are an entirely different story that has yet to be seen. Microsoft may have had the lead last gen, but this next generation is anyone's guess as of current.
    the 360 has EVEN less memory assigned to the OS.
    Ps3 ~ 50MB
    X360 ~ 32MB

Speed and stability/funtionality come from MS's experience as being a software oriented company

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    the 360 has EVEN less memory assigned to the OS.
    Ps3 ~ 50MB
    X360 ~ 32MB

Speed and stability/funtionality come from MS's experience as being a software oriented company
    If that is true, then I guess that just means that Sony was not competent enough to fit party chat and custom in-game tracks into their OS, and it also means that Microsoft will have no trouble once again creating the better OS with the Xbox One.

If that is true, then I guess that just means that Sony was not competent enough to fit party chat and custom in-game tracks into their OS, and it also means that Microsoft will have no trouble once again creating the better OS with the Xbox One.
    They appear to be slightly old numbers from around firmware 1.80, it would appear there have been many optimizations since then. Also we are comparing apples and oranges with those numbers, PS3s architecture is significantly different, from CPU code set, layout and RAM configuration (two pools of disparate RAM). This time around they should be more similar, not to say MS wont be more efficient, technically they should be since they do develop one of most widely used operating systems.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Elite Member
    Items User name style
    Could not care less which one is slightly faster, or has a function that I will never use.

All I care about is which one is more enjoyable to use, and can navigate to what I want with no hassle, and without trying to sell me Doritos.

For me that is easily the XMB. Simple and elegant without shoving unrelated advertisements in my face.

12. Likes F34R , Christopher likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Um what?

A GUI is a gui. What were restricted exactly on the PS3? Again, if you look one thing over the other fine, but I don't understand why things like this are being touted as a "fact"?

What I will say is that the Dashboards's way of bringing up the interface (when pressing the guide button) is faster than when pressing the PS button. But I would attribute that to that the PS3 is fruitlessly trying to bring up the entire interface, rather than a quick ,subset (like the 360).

Apart from that, and being a very minor point at that, I don't see anything else that would even make something "definite" or "fact". All these issues are so minor, only those that unnecessarily care for these things will act like it's the "BOOM" moment to justify their insecurities.

Instead of just taking it as a plus as to what they bought, rather than trying to mark it on someone's face. *shrug*

Again, this post below should summarise any rational, forward thinkers out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahaks View Post
    I think, 'Fact' is a statement that must be accompanied with a proven data/evidence.

example:
    The top speed of this car is 200mph - this is a fact based on the measured data
    This car is the fastest car in the world - this is not a fact unless supported by data. for example, a data showing the top speed of every single car in the world.

saying a console has better interface without providing any data to support is not fact. Unless you say this interface is better or the best because the response time on the UI is 50% faster compared to the rest. Even this is debatable since you define `best' based on the interface response time alone.

I don't think that we can use the word `fact' on a personal preference or subjective matter.
    Last edited by Admartian; 09-25-2013 at 01:41.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Thread Information