PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Phil Harrison discusses why there will be no indie games at the Xbox One launch...

Wait what?

Microsoft's Phil Harrison discusses why there will be no indie games at the Xbox One launch, digital price parity and the cost of next-gen development

Q: Bringing it back to the original question - when are we going to see the indie products released on Xbox One?

Phil Harrison: I don't think we're going to see things at launch. I don't think it's realistic to see a developer get the programme and build a game and get it into the market on November 22. It's reasonable to expect in early 2014 we'll start seeing the first games come through.

Q: From an infrastructure point of view I guess it's to be expected. A lot goes into launching a new console globally.

Phil Harrison: Under the radar, invisible to the consumer and hopefully invisible to the developer, there are a lot of tools on our side to ingest the content and stand the content up on our stores around the world. That requires a lot of investment in tools and technology. It's plumbing but it's important plumbing
    Someone else can quote the whole article

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...changed-at-all
    Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by YoungMullah88; 09-24-2013 at 00:38.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I don't feel any more knowledgeable after reading the entire thing lol.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Wait what?

They only announced the indie program at gamescom.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    do they consider minecraft indie?

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    do they consider minecraft indie?
    No, because its being done by 4j, not mohjang.

Veteran
    I wonder what the Outlast devs will do with Kinect, Hope they are not lazy and just do a straight port from PC.
    Forza 5, Fifa 14, Battlefield 4 & Watchdogs - The Perfect Launch Line Up!

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    And when a game sells 30+ million copies.....there is nothing indie about it anymore.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Superior Member

I'm no expert but I will put my two cents in. MS is behind with drivers and development tools. We've seen even major 3rd parties struggling to get code up to standards that they should be....clearly indies are not going to be there. This is just a product of Sony being further along and more advanced with their product. Also a product of Sony being more proactive in this arena....they are trying to leverage their launch with indies to help supplement their exclusive launch products and while a lot of games are pretty avg there are a few gems in there. This is what happens when you prioritize something...Sony has...and MS has other prioritites. Neither company was really strong last gen but this gen...Sony was quick to change that and MS probably will change their stance as well after they get their launch straightened out. You don't 180 almost all your policies and priorities and NOT have some effect....to MS it is clear where their focus is and rightfully so...it is much more important to get these crossplatform games looking as good and performing better or more feature rich on their console than helping indies bring out niche games. Indies don't sell consoles at launch...people are going to pick up the console that plays their favorite games like COD, BF4, FIFA etc. Over the life of a console if MS doesn't catch up on the indies THEN it may start to sway opinions but lets be honest...changing policies and support for those guys is much easier....and cheaper. They need to get these major launch games looking great...if they have to buy some indie support later...not as hard. I don't buy MS.....but I support their plan and direction...they are doing the smart thing. The magazines and internet forums/pages won't be writing articles about an indie game on one console and left off another on which one to buy. They will be showing tons of comparrisons of multiplat games...and big features....if MS doesn't have those boxes checked....the indies won't matter!

Dedicated Member
    Wait what?

Quote Originally Posted by davin_g View Post
    I'm no expert but I will put my two cents in. MS is behind with drivers and development tools. We've seen even major 3rd parties struggling to get code up to standards that they should be....clearly indies are not going to be there. This is just a product of Sony being further along and more advanced with their product. Also a product of Sony being more proactive in this arena....they are trying to leverage their launch with indies to help supplement their exclusive launch products and while a lot of games are pretty avg there are a few gems in there. This is what happens when you prioritize something...Sony has...and MS has other prioritites. Neither company was really strong last gen but this gen...Sony was quick to change that and MS probably will change their stance as well after they get their launch straightened out. You don't 180 almost all your policies and priorities and NOT have some effect....to MS it is clear where their focus is and rightfully so...it is much more important to get these crossplatform games looking as good and performing better or more feature rich on their console than helping indies bring out niche games. Indies don't sell consoles at launch...people are going to pick up the console that plays their favorite games like COD, BF4, FIFA etc. Over the life of a console if MS doesn't catch up on the indies THEN it may start to sway opinions but lets be honest...changing policies and support for those guys is much easier....and cheaper. They need to get these major launch games looking great...if they have to buy some indie support later...not as hard. I don't buy MS.....but I support their plan and direction...they are doing the smart thing. The magazines and internet forums/pages won't be writing articles about an indie game on one console and left off another on which one to buy. They will be showing tons of comparrisons of multiplat games...and big features....if MS doesn't have those boxes checked....the indies won't matter!

It all amounts to they have learned NOTHING. They are trying to reverse iOS and Android AND STEAM, which today just released a STEAM OS LINUX DISTRIBUTION so you can build your own living room game system. They want to charge RETAIL PRICES and say that money goes back to the devs to make better games. THAT happened when we moved from Cartridges to Discs, that was enough. The industry gained $20-25 profit pure per game at that point, and alot less up front risk, like how CAPCOM nearly went out of business over SNES SSFIIT.
    Now, you can make it cheaper. It's on a server, electrons don't cost as much etc. His position of enriching people will only goto the publisher, not the dev. If more Developers self publish and cuts the publisher, then that's another thing and they get paid better that way even if it's cheaper. Like Nintendo won't realize they aren't the center of the universe , MS won't adjust to more competitive models.
    Last edited by John Willaford; 09-24-2013 at 04:56.

Forum Overseer
    why the f did it sell 30+ copies?

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    why the f did it sell 30+ copies?
    Cause its addictive and can be played by all ages levels.

12+ million on PC
    8+ million on Xbox360
    10+ million pocket

Not bad going.

12. Likes snooper71 likes this post
    Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Wait what when they first unveiled xbone and talked about "indie support" they showed minecraft.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    Wait what when they first unveiled xbone and talked about "indie support" they showed minecraft.
    Uh,Phill started discussing indie games, but then went on to about finding games for Microsoft Games Studios.
    Minecraft, Quantum Break, D4 and Spark were all shown. None are indie games, all are being published by MGS.

Forum Elder
    Phil Harrison: I don't think we're going to see things at launch. I don't think it's realistic to see a developer get the programme and build a game and get it into the market on November 22. It's reasonable to expect in early 2014 we'll start seeing the first games come through.
    common sense and i'm sure there will be plenty of the Arcade style downloads like Peggle etc until "indie" games arrive....

of course, for me... indie games with no achievements = no sale.

Thread Information