Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    I don't know why you are so plainly denying that this theme is very similar to Microsoft's. Sony is pretty much slapping together their old theme with this new box theme of theirs. There are boxes and rectangles absolutely everywhere.

And just as an example of what "similar" themes means, here are two pics:
    Abstract Celestial 1
    Abstract Celestial 2
    PS4's UI looks more like XMBC than Windows 8. It still has that old-school linux feel to it.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    PS4's UI looks more like XMBC than Windows 8. It still has that old-school linux feel to it.
    Not quite for me. It's crazy, but the simple addition of those boxes changed the look for me a whole lot. I liked that when I switched to a PS3 last year that the GUI was so fresh to me and a really nice change from the look the Xbox had, but now Sony has a boxed look too and now I'm praying we get a retro GUI fitted for those who better enjoyed the old look lol.

Forum Overseer
    Not quite for me. It's crazy, but the simple addition of those boxes changed the look for me a whole lot. I liked that when I switched to a PS3 last year that the GUI was so fresh to me and a really nice change from the look the Xbox had, but now Sony has a boxed look too and now I'm praying we get a retro GUI fitted for those who better enjoyed the old look lol.
    well there's the issue. I've been on the XMB for like 7 years now. i'm sick and tired of it. it was ok this generation and was to the point but it needs to be more innovative and easy.

XMB is not easy...it's easy for people like us but not the average people.

here are some things i noticed, look at the social page, looks kinda like facebook,
    not bad. nothing innovative but it's clean and to the point. most importantly, it's old school.

notice how they still kept the XMB in tact here but more hybrid
    really, i feel like we're getting the best of both worlds.

what i didn't like about the XMB, they're addressing it. it's nothing revolutionary but it doesn't have to be. i love minimalist things because they're always more efficient.

if you notice, PS3 already had the windows 8-like icons. just like when you'd click on a folder and you would see all the icons or pictures etc.
    they're basically just expanding on that. i honestly could not tell the difference when cerny first showed us the UI...was that the reveal? I believe so.

i was somewhat disappointed...but i'm ok now because i have seen more of it and i like it and it doesn't need to be more flashy than it is. keeps the RAM usage low.

it's the logical progression of the original XMB and a very conservative one at that. they've obviously taken some inspiration here and there but their design is still unique imo.

again, i think the original XMB was too confusing for the average joe. my mom could never figure out where she needed to go. bigger icons makes things easy.

P.S. the new UI sort of looks like the upgraded PS store that we have now.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    It definitely is clean and Facebook-like. That definitely will help with the adoption rate of the console for home use. And the new UI really does look like the PS Store. I originally thought they showed off the PS Store because the resemblance is too similar. I personally still miss the old UI all the same, but seeing that second screenshot you posted, I think I can live with it if they at least keep that much of the old UI in tact.

Forum Overseer
    I like XMB too, i just wish they didn't clutter it up so much with all that extra junk. but yea, in a perfect world, i'd rather take a mini XMB instead. shi be like instant.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I don't know why you are so plainly denying that this theme is very similar to Microsoft's. Sony is pretty much slapping together their old theme with this new box theme of theirs. There are boxes and rectangles absolutely everywhere.

And just as an example of what "similar" themes means, here are two pics:
    Abstract Celestial 1
    Abstract Celestial 2
    Huh? It looks different to me. Why are you so angry (seemingly so; clarify if not, whatever is fine with me) about it?

It's just art-style. Whether it agrees with your opinion or not (and something which is typically subjective such as style) it isn't worth getting worked up over.

Like I said, you're probably oversimplifying the look of it too much. A box is a box is a box. It doesn't necessarily mean it's the same or close.

Mate, I suggest you take a closer look at what you're saying. No one is saying you're wrong for NOT liking either btw. The point is, that the two's similarities do not make them the same.

They both use box-type designs. Whoop-dee-doo. Just like certain sites use certain designs.

Either way chill buddy boy, chill. It''s all good in the end.

Just UI, mate.
    Last edited by Admartian; 09-25-2013 at 05:19.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Huh? It looks different to me. Why are you so angry (seemingly so; clarify if not, whatever is fine with me) about it?

It's just art-style. Whether it agrees with your opinion or not (and something which is typically subjective such as style) it isn't worth getting worked up over.

Like I said, you're probably oversimplifying the look of it too much. A box is a box is a box. It doesn't necessarily mean it's the same or close.

Mate, I suggest you take a closer look at what you're saying. No one is saying you're wrong for NOT liking either btw. The point is, that the two's similarities do not make them the same.

They both use box-type designs. Whoop-dee-doo. Just like certain sites use certain designs.

Just UI, mate.
    Gamestop stole their store designs from Windows 8.

My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Embedded images in the OP

Looks slick especially with customizable backgrounds and such

PSN ID
    DaGrandMastah
    I'm a huge fan of this UI (at least from the looks of it). Can't wait to see it in action. I'm really anxiously awaiting the iphone app as well....damn november 15th cant' come any sooner!

Friendship is Carrots
    Simple, organized, and easy on the eyes. I like it.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    pacpunk
    Contributing Writer @ PSU | Amateur Games Journalist | Internet Media Guy

Tumblr Blogs: Josh Likes Games | Coffee and Controllers | Follow me on Twitter
    Spooky Mobley's Conspiracy Corner | Pixel Power Art

Power Member
    Boring, flat, unimaginative. Very Apple like really.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopkiwi View Post
    Boring, flat, unimaginative. Very Apple like really.
    Fast. To the point.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post

Just UI, mate.
    "Chill buddy boy? Just UI, mate" "Why are you so angry?" You seem to perceive things kind of weird. I don't see how my comments cant in any way remotely be perceived as angry lol, but your choice of wording almost comes off as if you had intended to provoke such. You kind of have this weird idea of what it means for themes to be similar, and it just seemed a dat silly. So I just wanted to help you out a bit by showing you a good example of similar themes.

Edit: I think you got confused. I never said they looked the same. I only said that they share a similar theme. And stop thinking people are angry if you don't see an angry post. I don't ever like feeling like Adam Sandler in that Anger Management movie.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    here's some more.

does anyone see what I see in this first pic?

16. Likes K2D , Saigon likes this post

PSN ID
    J_Chavez09
    The Last of Us!!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Forum Sage
    Looks good. Not that i care. I think my time playing on the console will far outweigh my time looking at the GUI lol

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    That is nice...I hope that is a hidden surprise...

Just trying to figure out how this look boring and Apple like...Many don't realize the new apple format has 3D functionality within, and I going to assume that most UIs are going to start to implement this functionality. Don't always look at the face value of anything, sometime you have to look deeper and into the capabilities.
    Last edited by Saigon; 09-26-2013 at 14:57.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Just a heads up, the pictures posted by demi god are all photoshop mockups made by gaf to see if the interface would look good with other backgrounds. No such offical images are released as of yet (that show different backgrounds)

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    Just a heads up, the pictures posted by demi god are all photoshop mockups made by gaf to see if the interface would look good with other backgrounds. No such offical images are released as of yet (that show different backgrounds)
    If that is true, someone did an excellent job of mocking it.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    agreed, if these are mockups, it's a good job on their part. they looked real enough. lol

honestly though, the fact that you could put any type of wallpaper or theme on the PS3 makes me believe that they will also let you do this with the PS4 interface. I doubt they will force everyone with only limited pictures while the PS3, people could download customizables from websites on the net.

Forum Overseer
    well, all they had to do was change the background pic lol.

Power Member
    I hope they take a Que from something like XBMC and allow user made interfaces with many different set ups. Hell why not have XBMC installed on there? THAT would make it the king of home entertainment.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    The demo unit

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sl454gLQ3sA

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Thread Information