Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

PS3 to PS4 game upgrade...

Ok so I don't get it. I get most of it but will we be able to keep both digital versions if we upgrade?

http://us.playstation.com/digitalupgrade/

i understand the disc part. You can't play the PS4 version unless you have the PS3 disc. that means i can never sell the disc unless i don't wanna play the PS4 version anymore.

but what if i get the digital version for the PS3 and then redeem the code for the PS4 version...do i get to keep the PS3 digital version?

Forum Overseer
    you know what, durrr...i just remembered that they already explained that a while back. i was thinking about it and when they say that you'd need the PS3 disc in order to play the PS4 digital version...what they're not saying is that the PS3 disc will cease to work on the PS3 after this upgrade. Meaning, that disc will become a key for the PS4 version, think of it like having the PS4 version in disc.

please close the thread. i'm pretty sure this is the answer.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    No, you should still be able to play the PS3 Disc version in a PS3, you just need it in the PS4 to play the discounted Digital Download version. There is no unique identifier for each PS3 Game Disc that they could track and it would be not only a pain for them but also a waste of effort for them to try to make this disabled, after all you effectively can't play the PS4 version and PS3 version at the same time. So how would this be different than say using the disc on multiple machines at different times which is perfectly fine to do.

As far as upgrading a Digital Download version, I don't see why they would disable the PS3 version of it. You're only allowed to play one copy of it at a time even w/ multiple consoles. Though this one would be a bit more of a question if they're not cross platform checking that you're not playing multiple copies at the same time, still not hard to implement a check.

Forum Overseer
    so basically, it's safe to go with the disc if you want both versions. i might just do that.

but i wanna make sure if the PS3 digital version would still work (as long as i'm not touching the PS4 version) as that would be a nice option too.

Forum Sage
    It would be more work for them to make sure you can't play the game on the PS3 so I'm doubtful that you wouldn't able to. They are only doing this so you still buy the PS3 version if you don't want to wait (they want the sales.)

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    pacpunk
    Easiest way is to just buy the digital version. PSN store notices you bought the PS3 version and gives you a discount on the PS4 version. No weird mumbo jumbo, it's like you are buying it twice. So yeah you can use the PS3 version still. The game that WONT let you do that is Final Fantasy XIV, once you upgrade you can't go back but that upgrade is free.
    Contributing Writer @ PSU | Amateur Games Journalist | Internet Media Guy

Tumblr Blogs: Josh Likes Games | Coffee and Controllers | Follow me on Twitter
    Spooky Mobley's Conspiracy Corner | Pixel Power Art

Thread Information