Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member
    Items User name style

Steam OS.. How do you think it will affect NextGen consoles, if at all?

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

It's pretty clear that this is a response from Valve versus Microsoft's attempts to close the PC software market, That could force developers to use the Microsoft own appstore in the Windows 8 and beyond as the only way to get their app/product to PC customers using windows 9/8 OS etc, like the Iphone appstore.

How do you think it will affect PS4, if at all? I imagine you can buy/build very powerful HTPCs these days, coupled with a streamlined, Open sou gaming centric Linux OS, things could become very interesting.
    Last edited by victorijapoosp; 09-25-2013 at 06:24.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    So far it seems like it'll be an entry step for wider distribution, mostly being for streaming and gaining a foothold into the living room. I don't expect this to do much more than a light knock on either of the consoles, because while it's in the same field space it's not the same category. This thing isn't designed to be a main competitor in that regard. But what it's working to accomplish can influence the game industry as a whole over time. Valve is gearing towards Linux on the PC side, and they're also working on a larger and more varied platform that no doubt Sony and Microsoft are taking note of right now.

PS3? Not really. PS4? Probably. If Valve has shown anything, it's that patience pays off. If they sway the market and tech industry at all then they'll capitalize on it when the time is right.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Its purpose is not a box for streaming games from a PC elsewhere in the house. It will be running games natively on the actual hardware.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Forum Sage

It won't be running that many games natively other than the handful of Linux ready games. it'll play all of the Source games though. It will be streaming ALOT of it's games.
    .” It’s also unclear how many of the 3,000 games on Steam will run natively on SteamOS–Valve says you’ll be able to “access the full Steam catalog” through in-home streaming.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    All I want to know is ,can steam keep the low prices, if they ever release a box. If they do, this will effect everything.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    The prices won't change, if they changed the prices then Valve will simply start losing a lot of business because of how open the PC digital distribution platform is. The Steam Box is build by someone different of whom already sell those micro sized cases, all Valve are doing is getting the components (ala Alienware) and selling them to consumers as a pre-installed SteamOS box, technically they're not really losing any money at all as it's built and ordered to spec.

Superior Member
    It will not bother PS4 at all as it can not run Uncharted, GOW and Gran Turismo.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
    It will not bother PS4 at all as it can not run Uncharted, GOW and Gran Turismo.
    This^^

While my allegiance may appear to be to sony, its actually to its games and game studios. If naughtydog ever broke away from sony, I'd follow them to the ends of the earth.

edit:
    So I looked into SteamOS further. Are you kidding me? It's an OS intended on turning your PC essentially into a console. What the hell is the point? One of the benefits of PC is that it does more than just play games. It's one of the reasons people justify spending $1000+ on a pc to game. So is valve expecting to turn everyones $1000+ PC into a $1000+ console?

There is a whole lot of facepalm going on with this idea.
    Last edited by shepard; 09-25-2013 at 18:31.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    It won't be running that many games natively other than the handful of Linux ready games. it'll play all of the Source games though. It will be streaming ALOT of it's games.
    When I was reading about that I saw that more as a temporary solution until they build their library of Linux games.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    This^^

While my allegiance may appear to be to sony, its actually to its games and game studios. If naughtydog ever broke away from sony, I'd follow them to the ends of the earth.

edit:
    So I looked into SteamOS further. Are you kidding me? It's an OS intended on turning your PC essentially into a console. What the hell is the point? One of the benefits of PC is that it does more than just play games. It's one of the reasons people justify spending $1000+ on a pc to game. So is valve expecting to turn everyones $1000+ PC into a $1000+ console?

No....it's a steamlined PC for the average person basically....or beginner PC gamers...or who don't have $2500 for a stellar PC but don't want to buy cheap and put it together.

There is a market for this...is it a huge market? Only time will tell since the beginner PC gamers is probably who they are really going after. If you knew Vavles record and the leaps they have invovated you wouldn't say theres tons of facepalm.

If anyone can do it...they can.

I'm sure many japanese said the same thing when an American company decided to get into the console race.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    This^^

edit:

Thing is Valve have found out that using Linux and OpenGL is far more efficient than windows and Direct X so people wanting to get the most ou of mid en hardware could use this OS to gain the FPS needed to run at 60FPS or more.
    http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/13...ven-on-windows

You can install as many OS on you computer as you want, you just need to partiton the drive or use a separate one.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-26-2013 at 07:48.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Thing is Valve have found out that using Linux and OpenGL is far more efficient than windows and Direct X so people wanting to get the most ou of mid en hardware could use this OS to gain the FPS needed to run at 60FPS or more.

You can install as many OS on you computer as you want, you just need to partiton the drive or use a separate one.
    well i think its not Valve foundation, if I remember correctly John Carmack always was main ideologist of OpenGL in games

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Different crowd. It might get some people into 'PC' gaming but like.. I have a PC. No appeal to me. I can plug it into my TV if need be.

I can see the appeal for some people and those who want to get into PC stuff, but i dont think its going to change the market or anything

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireSol View Post
    well i think its not Valve foundation, if I remember correctly John Carmack always was main ideologist of OpenGL in games
    All idtech engines use it.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-26-2013 at 09:11.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Lol, I am definitely supporting that , me and my wife use pc for just browsing , watching anime or so so. Rarely for games ( Guild Wars 2 Fm 2013). So if this steamos is free then I am in.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post

Which limits it to the more technical minded gamer. Obviously this isn't a big deal for folks that know what they are doing, but not sure most gamers would want to those lengths just to get games they already have in Steam/Windows.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

It's pretty clear that this is a response from Valve versus Microsoft's attempts to close the PC software market, That could force developers to use the Microsoft own appstore in the Windows 8 and beyond as the only way to get their app/product to PC customers using windows 9/8 OS etc, like the Iphone appstore.

How do you think it will affect PS4, if at all? I imagine you can buy/build very powerful HTPCs these days, coupled with a streamlined, Open sou gaming centric Linux OS, things could become very interesting.
    Won't affect PS4 that much. It will be a long time before we start to see (if) SteamOS becoming a dominant force in gaming.

I do like to see SteamOS taking over PC gaming over Windows 8. MS PC support has been a joke as of late especially with the recent death of GFWL.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Insanehead View Post
    MS PC support has been a joke as of late especially with the recent death of GFWL.
    Huh? The death of GFWL was the best thing they could've ever done

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Which limits it to the more technical minded gamer. Obviously this isn't a big deal for folks that know what they are doing, but not sure most gamers would want to those lengths just to get games they already have in Steam/Windows.
    This exactly^^

Unless Valve announces an actual SteamBox that runs SteamOS, they aren't really opening themselves up to grab any customers from the console market. PC gaming is complicated to alot of people....this over complicates it further.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Huh? The death of GFWL was the best thing they could've ever done
    I meant that it showed how MS completely gave up PC gaming that resulted in the death of GFWL.

21. Likes BBK.. likes this post
    Forum Sage

Oh right, my bad. Yeah, now i follow you

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    I know I'll always* be a steam/playstation-gamer. The one doesn't interfere much with the other..

*(As in; I don't see it changing the next 10 years)

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Superior Member

Since the SteamOS is a custom build of Linux, there's no reason it couldn't run all of the software available on Linux already (VLC, Firefox, Chrome, XBMC, Plex, ect). So it's conceivable you could still get best in class entertainment experiences via those channels. You can browse the web in Steam's current Big Picture Mode, and that already puts to shame the 360 and PS3s controller navigation and input. Slap the same navigation innovations in a custom OS that doesn't have all the unnecessary bloat of Windows, allow it run already proven world class applications as mentioned above, with hardware you can configure yourself if you like...sounds nice to me!
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    pacpunk
    I think SteamOS is a great idea and I fully intend to build a PC that uses it. However I don't think it will affect console gamers much. It's still a PC and still involves loading drivers, changing out hardware and all that other stuff that makes PC gaming a chore sometimes. The reason console gamers like their boxes is because every box is the same, and every box is developed with that hardware in mind. Every game works exactly the same, and you don't need to worry about the millions of factors that may affect PC gamers.

That being said I think it's more of a compliment to steam rather then a replacement; just like Vita TV compliments PS4 and Vita without replacing them.
    Contributing Writer @ PSU | Amateur Games Journalist | Internet Media Guy

Tumblr Blogs: Josh Likes Games | Coffee and Controllers | Follow me on Twitter
    Spooky Mobley's Conspiracy Corner | Pixel Power Art

Power Member
    Well I will be giving it a shot when its released. Whenever that is.

P.S

Last edited by keefy; 09-26-2013 at 17:38.

27. Likes Jabjabs, Admartian , Varsh , shepard likes this post

Thread Information