Forum Sage
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

Nvidia boss: “No longer possible” for consoles to have better graphics than PC

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/25/nvid...phics-than-pc/
    Duh! No expects consoles to out perform a next gen G-
    card.

“It’s no longer possible for a console to be a better or more capable graphics platform than the PC,” he told PC PowerPlay.

“Certainly with the first PlayStation and PS2, in that era there weren’t really good graphics on the PC. Around the time of the PS2 is when 3D really started coming to the PC, but before that time 3D was the domain of Silicon Graphics and other 3D workstations. Sony, Sega or Nintendo could invest in bringing 3D graphics to a consumer platform. In fact, the PS2 was faster than a PC.

“By the time of the Xbox 360 and PS3, the consoles were on par with the PC. If you look inside those boxes, they’re both powered by graphics technology by AMD or NVIDIA, because by that time all the graphics innovation was being done by PC graphics companies. NVIDIA spends 1.5 billion US dollars per year on research and development in graphics, every year, and in the course of a console’s lifecycle we’ll spend over 10 billion dollars into graphics research.

“Sony and Microsoft simply can’t afford to spend that kind of money. They just don’t have the investment capacity to match the PC guys; we can do it thanks to economy of scale, as we sell hundreds of millions of chips, year after year.”

Back when previous generations of consoles launched, Tamasi explained, PC hardware wasn’t designed to the absolutely limits of what is possible at fabrication.

“The PC graphics industry wasn’t operating at the limits of device physics and power. If you wind back the clock, a high-end graphics card at that time was maybe 75W or 100W max. We weren’t building chips that were on the most advanced semiconductor process and were billions of transistors,” he said.

“Now we’re building GPUs at the limits of what’s possible with fabrication techniques. Nobody can build anything bigger or more powerful than what is in the PC at the moment. It just is not possible, but that wasn’t the case in the last generation of consoles. Taken to the theoretical limits, the best any console could ever do would be to ship a console that is equal to the best PC at that time. But then a year later it’s going to be slower, and it still wouldn’t be possible due to the power limits.”

Tamasi has said that Nvidia wasn’t snubbed by Sony and Microsoft, but chose not to be involved in the PS4 and Xbox One because it just wasn’t worth it. He later said that mobiles will out-perform current consoles anyway.

Matt Skynner, vice president of rival AMD, described Tamasi’s attitude as “sour grapes”, and has said partnering with console manufacturers will help AMD win the PC hardware race, too.
    Last edited by The Sith; 09-25-2013 at 12:51.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Captain Obvious to the rescue.

I agree with the AMD guy that he does seem a bit sour. I don't think AMD will win the PC race though. I've only had my GTX780 for a while yet i've not even had one single problem with it. Nvidia are the much better vendor, IMO.

Nahh.... I don't believe so... Technology is just getting better and better.

Forum Elder
    Mobiles?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Master Sage

Finally You Are Free
    1) Duh.

2) The GPU market is saturated with higher end cards now.

3) Nvidia is butthurt over losing access to the entire console market.

Forum Overseer

No longer? >_>

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    1) Duh.

2) The GPU market is saturated with higher end cards now.

4) Graphics don't make a good game

Finally You Are Free
    But they most certainly make it better.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    mostly THIS!!! and this is getting ridiculous

Elite Sage
    I'm not so sure why everyone thinks Nvidia are upset after loosing out on the console market.

Finally You Are Free
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    I'm not so sure why everyone thinks Nvidia are upset after loosing out on the console market.
    In what conceivable scenario wouldn't they be? The consoles play a part in determining the path of future technology and industry, and it's hundreds of millions of devices that their competitor will be profiting from.

Elite Sage
    I'm not saying they haven't missed out. But I don't think they'll be upset about it. If they really wanted it I'm sure they would've made a decent effort to get it. Between their GPUs and Tegra chips I think they're probably more than happy

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    I've only had my GTX780 for a while yet i've not even had one single problem with it. Nvidia are the much better vendor, IMO.
    I've had my current AMD card for a year and haven't had a single problem with it. Nor the drivers. Not even when I thought I had cooked it. Scorching hot summers day and unknown to me at the time, MSI Afterburner had some kind of nosebleed and turned the fan down to the lowest setting. A few hours later I quit to windows and realise my card had been running at 107 degrees, $#@!! But apparently it's fine.

I had 3 separate Nvidia 9800 GT's before this card and every one of them died. So $#@! Nvidia.
    Last edited by Cyn; 10-21-2013 at 12:19.

Elite Sage
    That's fine. But my 2 HD5870s gave me a ballache. It's no secret that when it comes to dual card machines Xfire is miles behind SLI. $#@!, some games actually preformed BETTER with XFire disabled than it did with both cards.

Granted AMD have for better recently but they still aren't as reliable as Nvidia when it comes to drivers. The amount of times I had to wait a good few weeks longer for driver updates for game problems vs Nvidia roll out was unbelievable. Yes you get more value for money with AMD but they left a very bitter taste in my mouth to make we want to go with them again.

Obviously, no manufacture are perfect and I can only judge on what I've experienced. And going by my past experience I felt reluctant to give AMD my money again.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    SLI is probably better now than it used to be but back when I ran the dual 9800's it was every bit as much a ballache as what you describe. I'd often wonder why I wasn't getting the performance I'd expect, check the control panel and time and again, the slave card would turn itself off. Such a pain in the arse, I'm never going multi GPU again

Elite Sage
    Quite possibly. I just know the general opinion is that Nvidia has much better support than AMD.

I'm not saying AMD are terrible, far from it. I've told my friend who was about to buy a GTX780 to wait until the R290x price is released as that will be a better card.

I just personally didn't want to deal with AMD for my new build as I plan on going the dual card route again

Finally You Are Free
    For dual cards, doesn't it make more sense to go for a single powerful GPU, then use the money up didn't spend on that second GPU in a year or two and get a new, better one? Obviously it depends on exact pricing to performance, but generally that seems much wiser to me.

Elite Sage
    personally i prefer to get one strong card then add another strong card. I can't see a card coming out next year matching my 2 Overclocked GTX780's

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I've had my current AMD card for a year and haven't had a single problem with it. Nor the drivers. Not even when I thought I had cooked it. Scorching hot summers day and unknown to me at the time, MSI Afterburner had some kind of nosebleed and turned the fan down to the lowest setting. A few hours later I quit to windows and realise my card had been running at 107 degrees, $#@!! But apparently it's fine.

I had 3 separate Nvidia 9800 GT's before this card and every one of them died. So $#@! Nvidia.
    MSI afterburner is $#@! for that. Did the exact same thing with my card for some reason. Promptly uninstalled it.
    Try playing Quake 3 with your AMD card and steam overlay enabled see what happens

http://steamcommunity.com/id/keefy/s...iles&view=grid

Thread Information