Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 101
  1. #26
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,258
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,890 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    The car models in GT5 looked great, yes. However, in GT5 the environment looked like it came straight from 1998 though.






    Canned lighting, large flat polygons, sprite trees, it's all there.


    Not to mention GT5 could never compete with PC physics, online, or the number of cars on the track at once. And yes, the PC was not only matching, but was exceeding the GT5 in-game car models.

    this post does not deserve a proper response due to the amount of misinformation spewed in it.

    1. you're talking about the PS2 models of cars and environments that received a slight HD boost in GT5.
    2. what is the source of that second picture? that's obviously been tampered with and again, showing PS2 models. even GT1 didn't look that bad.

    also, the GT5 physics have already been touted to be the best in the industry. no argument there.

    P.S. thanks for choosing the worst possible pics for the GT5 and the best you could possibly find for the PC racer, not biased at all.

    i own the game, i know what it looks like.
    Last edited by Omar; 09-25-2013 at 19:26.

  2. #27
    Elite Member
    billm0066's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,522
    Rep Power
    62
    Points
    8,739 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    High end PC's are like American Muscle Car's and the owers are the same, they rev their engines at the starting line and look down upon us, but its the finely tuned Japanese sports that flys round that track more efficiently.Yes it has the power but hasn't enough road to use it.I have no doubts PC's will be delivering better resolution versions of nextgen games if you have the right stuff under the hood especially when newer chips are released, but games aren't going to be marginally better despite the spec of the hardware, they'll never be designed to be either.I'm still waiting for some real second and third generation games to be released so we actually see the spec on those thingsRemember Max Payne 3's requirements are way above current gen spec yet doesn't look that hardly any different.Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4
    Worst example EVER. I would change your screen name after that one bro.

  3. #28
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,568
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    58,426 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Here's a thought. Take a 7yr old PC game and what would be a high end PC back then. Now take a new PC game and run it on that 7yr old PC. It will actually look worse than the 7yr old game - reason there's no optimization only brute force and trying to jam more processing in on the PCs and PC games. Result, you need to spend a consoles worth of money annually to keep up with the times.

    Now take the PS3 and a launch title, now take 'The Last of US' and compare them on the same spec'd PS3 that you paid a single one time investment for 7yrs worth of gaming.

    Sure it's not as good graphically but the quality is Damn Good and at the investment cost the PC market can't compete.
    But you can play games from 10-20 years ago on the same PC.

  4. #29
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,258
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,890 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    But you can play games from 10-20 years ago on the same PC.
    that's not true btw. but i don't think that was his point.

    as a win 8 gamer, i can't play any of the games from 5+ years ago. it keeps giving me error. probably something to do with the fact that i have a laptop.
    Last edited by Omar; 09-25-2013 at 20:39.

  5. #30
    Forum Sage
    BBK..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol!!
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,679
    Rep Power
    87
    Points
    37,464 (15,799 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    right click > Properties > Compatibility > Comparability Mode > Windows 95 though to Windows 7

    I can still play Unreal Tournament, that game is 13 years old and i'm running Windows 8 also.

    I don't even know why this thread has lasted this long. Let's be honest. They won't have better graphics. But who buys a console simply for graphics. I'm a graphics $#@! so that's why I play on PC. I buy consoles for the exclusives.
    Last edited by BBK..; 09-25-2013 at 21:07.

  6. #31
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,258
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,890 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    right click > Properties > Compatibility > Comparability Mode > Windows 95 though to Windows 7

    I can still play Unreal Tournament, that game is 13 years old and i'm running Windows 8 also.
    already tried that. before it wasn't running, after i did the compatibility thing, it started giving a generic error.

    I don't even know why this thread has lasted this long. Let's be honest. They won't have better graphics. But who buys a console simply for graphics. I'm a graphics $#@! so that's why I play on PC. I buy consoles for the exclusives.
    that's not entirely true. games like TLOU/UC are very comparable to the best-looking action/adventure games on PC, if not better. In fact, I don't know of any on PC that look better. PC does better at FPS and there isn't a skilled console developer that makes these games. if you notice, practically all of the shooters are multiplats. bungie and GG just don't cut it, while they're good at delivering the graphics, they don't really put out the best-looking games even on consoles.

    because we have a developer like PD working on a console, it will not be matched on PC for a very long time. as that has happened pretty much with every one of their releases.

  7. #32
    Ancient
    TGO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    purgatory
    Age
    32
    Posts
    10,502
    Rep Power
    100
    Points
    12,737 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by billm0066 View Post
    Worst example EVER. I would change your screen name after that one bro.
    No that was a good example, you just didn't like it

    Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4

    "Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

  8. #33
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,258
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,890 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    No that was a good example, you just didn't like it

    Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4
    so you're saying that consoles are "overall" faster than high-end PCs?

    i think you mean to say that if there was a HP limit on a race then they'd be faster. the example you've provided pretty much says that the consoles are overall faster than PCs. they're not because PCs will continue to get faster with upgrades.
    Last edited by Omar; 09-25-2013 at 21:36.

  9. #34
    Veteran
    MonkeyClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,820
    Rep Power
    94
    Points
    147,000 (0 Banked)
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    so you're saying that consoles are "overall" faster than high-end PCs?

    i think you mean to say that if there was a HP limit on a race then they'd be faster. the example you've provided pretty much says that the consoles are overall faster than PCs. they're not because PCs will continue to get faster with upgrades.
    I thought was he was saying is that while a console is slower in raw power it makes up for in optimization, where with a PC it is not as optimized as a console which requires more raw power to get the same result. So in the end, the console is just waaaay more efficient than a PC.

    -=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

  10. #35
    Elite Guru
    TAZ427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Age
    43
    Posts
    5,103
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    21,203 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    annual cost may be that on an average but i wouldn't say that would be the case every year. i think people upgrade every few years...rather than every year.

    but yea, that's precisely the point i try to make at times. i can't believe this Nvidia guy did not even imply anything remotely close to it. he's just straight up comparing raw power lol. and PSU...wtf!?
    Yeah, it really depends on the individuals. Some people w/ no technical ability will buy a pre-built machine ever few years and are at the top end and end up at the lower end before buying another and the cost of buying a whole new machine is expended and still averages out to a new console a year.

    Those who are a bit more tech savy tend to build their own machines and upgrade components. I would do a MoBo + Memory every couple years, Video card ever couple of years, so some years I was higher other years I was lower but still spending a $#@! load of money.

    Now the question is what to do about my 11yr old son asking me for an Alienware PC. I know, I'll get my wife to say no way Jose.



  11. #36
    Elite Guru
    TAZ427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Age
    43
    Posts
    5,103
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    21,203 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    But you can play games from 10-20 years ago on the same PC.
    You know how often I've done this? Never. There's always newer and better games. Yeah, I'll get Nastalgic but I won't actually go play a game from 10-20yrs ago. And if I do, I have my old PCs to play them, just like I have my old game consoles to play them (collecting dust.)



  12. #37
    Dedicated Member
    John Willaford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Owings Mills, MD
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,071
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    408,039 (0 Banked)

    It's about your target

    NVidia and AMD make single cards that can effectively run a single game on 3 monitors at 60fps.
    The extra gruntwork it takes to do that is in those cards.

    The console is still targeting, MOSTLY, one screen (not thinking about Second Screens here).
    So, we are concentrating on creating a 1080p HD image at a great framerate with impeccable special effects.
    By efficiently using new techniques in Cpu/GPU efficiency greater performance is achieved in these new APU processors
    than if a similar GPU were soldered in next to a comparable CPU.

    We have different audiences with different tastes. If you are a PC guy, your going to make an HTPC with one or two high end video cards and liquid cooling to keep it silent and put $1500 in your living room.

    These appliances are content delivery systems and STILL seen as TOYS though on the extreme end of that spectrum.

    I'll probably have a cheap NVidia device in my livng room by Dec as i'm guessing that MatCatz put a Tegra 4 in the Mojo, which I am getting (Screw this lousy pile of mishappen junk called the OUYA i have here).
    Odd how NVidia didn't want to make this... it seems they announced that they would start licensing their graphics technology to other companies right around the time AMD announced they built the PS4 and XBO processors.
    Maybe Nvidia couldn't do what was wanted because neither one wanted to build an ARM console, which is all Nvidia has the license to work with.

    At Release, since the PS2, consoles have only been on par with PC's that year.
    This year, not even on a pure brute force level, BUT, it's about optimization and price performance.

  13. Likes victorijapoosp likes this post
  14. #38
    Veteran
    MonkeyClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,820
    Rep Power
    94
    Points
    147,000 (0 Banked)
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    (Screw this lousy pile of mishappen junk called the OUYA i have here)
    Come on, we all know you love playing Amazing Frog on your Ouya!

    (the funny thing is, my 7 year old daughter actually loves that game!)

    -=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

  15. #39
    overstepping the mark
    -Shafty-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,412
    Rep Power
    131
    Points
    37,910 (10,700 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Console gaming - cool

    PC gaming - nerdish

    Who wants to play on a PC!

    /thread



    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

  16. #40
    PSU Trophy Manager
    Fenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Age
    24
    Posts
    11,597
    Rep Power
    90
    Points
    19,453 (1,000 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    My reaction to this article:




    I expect this none sense from gamers, but not from NVIDIA.

    Sig&Av by Kuro

    Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

    PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4


    PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

  17. #41
    Power Member
    Kopkiwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    15,968
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    6,467 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Thank you captain no-one gives a $#@!

  18. Likes Admartian likes this post
  19. #42
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,258
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,890 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Yeah, it really depends on the individuals. Some people w/ no technical ability will buy a pre-built machine ever few years and are at the top end and end up at the lower end before buying another and the cost of buying a whole new machine is expended and still averages out to a new console a year.

    Those who are a bit more tech savy tend to build their own machines and upgrade components. I would do a MoBo + Memory every couple years, Video card ever couple of years, so some years I was higher other years I was lower but still spending a $#@! load of money.

    Now the question is what to do about my 11yr old son asking me for an Alienware PC. I know, I'll get my wife to say no way Jose.
    I feel like, even 2 years for an enthusiast is a little excessive. Do people really change their entire CPU unit like that? Maybe they an salvage the PSU or maybe a future-proof motherboard? Because that's just insane if it's any less than 3 years. 3 years sounds a lot better because it can take months to build a system because you gotta know what you're doing.

    dude your son is 11, make him buy a PS4 at most. lol. even that is amazing (overkill) for an 11 year old. an alienware? sheeeey

  20. #43
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,568
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    58,426 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Captain slow says


  21. #44
    Ancient
    TGO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    purgatory
    Age
    32
    Posts
    10,502
    Rep Power
    100
    Points
    12,737 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I thought was he was saying is that while a console is slower in raw power it makes up for in optimization, where with a PC it is not as optimized as a console which requires more raw power to get the same result. So in the end, the console is just waaaay more efficient than a PC.
    Monkey gets it.
    PC's are really overkill these days, the power is wasted and not used to its full potential

    Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4

    "Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

  22. Likes John Willaford, MonkeyClaw likes this post
  23. #45
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,258
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,890 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Monkey gets it.
    PC's are really overkill these days, the power is wasted and not used to its full potential

    Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4
    trust me, i got it too. that's why i was suggesting what you meant to say. XD

  24. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
  25. #46
    Apprentice
    Effekt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Age
    22
    Posts
    346
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    5,521 (0 Banked)
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    Man so many people butthurt and talking out their ass in this thread.
    -PC is better graphics wise and performance wise no matter how much you want to deny it. The PS4 and XboxOne already have outdated hardware, but that doesn't mean they suck. The experiance will most likely still be better on consoles because the games will be optimized for console use and not PC use. Plus like said before the exclusives.
    -Power supply actually does play a big role in your performance.
    -You do not have to update your PC every 3-4 years lmao, I've had one for 6+ years still fine and runs games on high.

    I like both and I'm still getting a PS4, because I like the console experiance, It's more traditional. But please don't spew bull$#@! because you're some fanboy denying clear facts lol.

  26. #47
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,258
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,890 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Effekt View Post
    Man so many people butthurt and talking out their ass in this thread.
    -PC is better graphics wise and performance wise no matter how much you want to deny it. The PS4 and XboxOne already have outdated hardware, but that doesn't mean they suck. The experiance will most likely still be better on consoles because the games will be optimized for console use and not PC use. Plus like said before the exclusives.
    No one is saying that PC isn't better overall.
    -Power supply actually does play a big role in your performance.
    That depends on what it is for. If your video card/CPU/motherboard requires more power and you're not feeding it, then yes it matters a lot. If you put a bigger PSU on next-gen consoles, their processing power isn't going to get better suddenly.
    -You do not have to update your PC every 3-4 years lmao, I've had one for 6+ years still fine and runs games on high.
    That's a load of bull$#@!. you have to give us your specs and the games, the actual settings being used and what frame rate you're getting.

  27. #48
    Dedicated Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Posts
    1,062
    Rep Power
    17
    Points
    12,958 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    The car models in GT5 looked great, yes. However, in GT5 the environment looked like it came straight from 1998 though.






    Canned lighting, large flat polygons, sprite trees, it's all there.


    Not to mention GT5 could never compete with PC physics, online, or the number of cars on the track at once. And yes, the PC was not only matching, but was exceeding the GT5 in-game car models.

    It's been a long time since I've seen someone say that PS3/360 games look like PS1 games. I'd like it if this trend picked up someday.

  28. #49
    Apprentice
    Effekt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Age
    22
    Posts
    346
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    5,521 (0 Banked)
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    No one is saying that PC isn't better overall.
    That TGO guy basically did.
    That depends on what it is for. If your video card/CPU/motherboard requires more power and you're not feeding it, then yes it matters a lot. If you put a bigger PSU on next-gen consoles, their processing power isn't going to get better suddenly.
    Even if you have more powersupply than needed it'll make the performance smoother.
    That's a load of bull$#@!. you have to give us your specs and the games, the actual settings being used and what frame rate you're getting.
    Lol are you kidding me? How old is the PS3? 7 years almost, and computers 1-2 years before the PS3 came out had already the same specs that's 8-9 years. A computer doesn't just all of a sudden die and graphics are $#@! lol or else the PS3 wouldn't last that long either because after all it is a computer. If PC's had the same support as consoles then PC's wouldn't have to be upgraded as much.

    I'll screenshot my specs of the PC when I'm home.

  29. #50
    Veteran
    Kauldron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,104
    Rep Power
    78
    Points
    6,210 (0 Banked)
    All this salt is going to give NVidia high blood pressure.
    _______________________________________________

    _______________________________________________

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.