Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    It's been a long time since I've seen someone say that PS3/360 games look like PS1 games. I'd like it if this trend picked up someday.
    dude i'm not so far off that claim. i don't even think that's GT5...he just went on the web randomly to pick a ****ty image.

GT1

GT4

GT5:Prologue

GT5

???

the other one is likely GT5:Prologue that he posted. also, i forgot to ask him to post ****pit pictures of the PC racer he posted the picture of

EDIT: Yup, this is the game: Viper Racing wtf? don't know if he knew.

http://www.techspot.com/extras/old-a...s/games/viper/
    Quote Originally Posted by Effekt View Post
    Even if you have more powersupply than needed it'll make the performance smoother.
    source.
    Lol are you kidding me? How old is the PS3? 7 years almost, and computers 1-2 years before the PS3 came out had already the same specs that's 8-9 years. A computer doesn't just all of a sudden die and graphics are **** lol or else the PS3 wouldn't last that long either because after all it is a computer.
    that doesn't answer my questions. clearly you do not understand the difference between the two platform spaces.
    If PC's had the same support as consoles then PC's wouldn't have to be upgraded as much.
    they're not due to the nature of the platform. that's one of its disadvantage. just like i can say, "Consoles just aren't upgradable or they would outdo the PC even 10 years later!" you can see how that is a moot point.
    I'll screenshot my specs of the PC when I'm home.
    specs, game settings and fps of the game. a pic of the fps would be nice.
    Last edited by Sufi; 09-26-2013 at 01:11.

2. Likes Foraeli likes this post
    Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Viper Racing looks next gen. Totally makes GT5 look like a PS1 game. All should agree with this unconditionally.

4. Likes Jabjabs likes this post
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    dude i'm not so far off that claim. i don't even think that's GT5...he just went on the web randomly to pick a ****ty image.

GT1

GT4

GT5:Prologue

GT5

???

the other one is likely GT5:Prologue that he posted. also, i forgot to ask him to post ****pit pictures of the PC racer he posted the picture of

EDIT: Yup, this is the game: Viper Racing wtf? don't know if he knew.

http://www.techspot.com/extras/old-a...s/games/viper/
    source.
    that doesn't answer my questions. clearly you do not understand the difference between the two platform spaces.
    they're not due to the nature of the platform. that's one of its disadvantage. just like i can say, "Consoles just aren't upgradable or they would outdo the PC even 10 years later!" you can see how that is a moot point.
    specs, game settings and fps of the game. a pic of the fps would be nice.

It was a comparison between the scenery of GT5 and the scenery in that game.

This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Ancient
    That TGO guy basically did.

Even if you have more powersupply than needed it'll make the performance smoother.

Lol are you kidding me? How old is the PS3? 7 years almost, and computers 1-2 years before the PS3 came out had already the same specs that's 8-9 years. A computer doesn't just all of a sudden die and graphics are **** lol or else the PS3 wouldn't last that long either because after all it is a computer. If PC's had the same support as consoles then PC's wouldn't have to be upgraded as much.

I'll screenshot my specs of the PC when I'm home.
    I Didn't say Nextgen consoles are more powerful, re-read my post you are not listening.
    And yes PC's do become ****ty overtime if you don't upgrade, obviously graphics don't become worse but the system OS and programs evolve as time goes on and require more resources which effects performance of not only the system but games too
    so upgrading is required, unless you don't use the latest software.
    And yes a PS3 is a computer and no they wouldn't, consoles don't work the same as PC, a console works by design specification in a closed box, a PC doesn't and is dynamic.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    Although true, it seems like he's just a bit buttsore because NVIDIA isn't getting a cut from consoles lol.
    Especially from the PS4 that's so huge on the popularity scale.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    It was a comparison between the scenery of GT5 and the scenery in that game.
    lol why? someone obviously has never played GT5 before.

9. Likes Foraeli likes this post
    Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    ..or seen screens. To say the shading is flat like a PS1 game is just nonsense.

Power Member
    i dunno.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-26-2013 at 03:39.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    Lmao source? Take the A+ certification test and tell me how you get the answer wrong because you didn't choose power supply as resource for improved graphics.
    I clearly understand the difference, that's why I said "If PC's had the same support as consoles then PC's wouldn't have to be upgraded as much." however you would still have the same specs,
    Also to the other guy saying that programs get outdated, getting a new OS doesn't have to cost money. You can game on a linux+winebottler and almost play every single game available on Windows

On my current computer which I've run Dota, BioShock Infinite, StarCraft2, DeadSpace3 just some for example, all ran on high, I'd have to pop into one of the games for FPS but I don't remember any of them having slow fram rate. And that's with a computer from 2009 which is almost 4 years by itself in about 2 months or so lol with just:
    8Gig Ram some ****ty kingston I remember
    Nvidia GeForce GTX450 SE
    AMD Phentom II Quad Core processor
    500 Watt Battery supply
    All of this **** is outdated and I've had no problems. I'll check my old computer as well.

However after all that said, I misunderstood this thread lmao, so I apologize I guess I just read it all wrong but I do still stick with what I said.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Nvidia must be feeling rather green with envy. AMD have just routed them with their announcement of the new Radeon line and Mantle.

The new top end AMD card matches the titan on the direct X based benchmarks for roughly 60% of the cost. Add to that the Mantle API unlocking 9 times more power from the GPU according to DICE. The mind boggles.

I hope NVIDIA get a good kicking from AMD in the GPU market. Force them to stop being such smug gits and start slashing prices to competitive levels.

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    Nvidia must be feeling rather green with envy. AMD have just routed them with their announcement of the new Radeon line and Mantle.

The new top end AMD card matches the titan on the direct X based benchmarks for roughly 60% of the cost. Add to that the Mantle API unlocking 9 times more power from the GPU according to DICE. The mind boggles.

I hope NVIDIA get a good kicking from AMD in the GPU market. Force them to stop being such smug gits and start slashing prices to competitive levels.
    I didnt see any pricing for the R9 290X.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-26-2013 at 06:25.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I didnt see any pricing for the R9 290X.
    Rumoured to be $600 for the AMD R9 290X vs $1000 for the Nvydia titan. The other leaks were very accurate.

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Extreme Poster
    Lmao source? Take the A+ certification test and tell me how you get the answer wrong because you didn't choose power supply as resource for improved graphics.
    they don't ask you that in the A+ certification test.

and no, it only has diminishing returns. say if you had a 500W PSU, you put a 700W PSU or 1000W PSU (not sure why you would do that anyway), it's not going to make your performance (fps in this case) go up by 10 points or something. Probably virtually none. now if you were using a 250W PSU and your GPU was messing up due to that, then yea, totally. but more watts do not make a more powerful computer "necessarily".

I clearly understand the difference, that's why I said "If PC's had the same support as consoles then PC's wouldn't have to be upgraded as much." however you would still have the same specs,
    please tell me the basic difference between PCs and consoles.

Also to the other guy saying that programs get outdated, getting a new OS doesn't have to cost money. You can game on a linux+winebottler and almost play every single game available on Windows
    no you can't. wine can barely run regular programs.

On my current computer which I've run Dota
    yea my PC from 2005 can run this. i'm sure you speak of dota 2. look at the "recommended" requirements:
    * Processor: Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz
    * Memory: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista
    * Graphics: DirectX 9 compatible video card with Shader model 3.0. NVidia 7600, ATI X1600 or better
    * Hard Drive: At least 2.5 GB of free space
    * Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
    BioShock Infinite
    again, my ****ty laptop can run this at low settings and around 22fps. not a resource hog.
    StarCraft2
    this game is from 3 years ago. let's hope that your 3 year old GPU can run this otherwise you paid for a piece of junk.
    DeadSpace3
    again, this game doesn't require much power. look at the requirements.

This is the problem with PC guys. 1. They don't understand the differences between console environment and PC environment and their pros and cons. 2. They argue high-end gaming and then say, "You don't even need to upgrade every 3 years!" but then they can't back it up.

You basically went from saying,
    You do not have to update your PC every 3-4 years lmao, I've had one for 6+ years still fine and runs games on high.
    to the fact that you have a 3 year old system that can run games that are 3 years old or light-medium in the resource dept. and then you continue on to say that you think that your computer is now old and needs to be replaced. that's about a 3 year old computer. it makes you entire argument moot.
    just some for example, all ran on high,
    give us better examples...such as...battlefield 3 (even though this is more of a medium) or crysis 3 or far cry 3. take a little screenshot, show us what your 3 year old computer can do.
    I'd have to pop into one of the games for FPS but I don't remember any of them having slow fram rate. And that's with a computer from 2009 which is almost 4 years by itself in about 2 months or so lol with just:

8Gig Ram some ****ty kingston I remember
    these were available somewhere around end of 2010 to 2011.
    Nvidia GeForce GTX450 SE
    came out in september 2010. that's exactly 3 years.
    AMD Phentom II Quad Core processor
    these came out pretty much in 2011.
    All of this **** is outdated and I've had no problems. I'll check my old computer as well.
    but you're also running ****ty games on it. that doesn't prove anything.

However after all that said, I misunderstood this thread lmao, so I apologize I guess I just read it all wrong but I do still stick with what I said.
    i don't think there's much weight in your claims. you can't talk about high-end gaming and then not show high-end games.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    TBH AMD is cheaper and I've never noticed any incredible difference between Intel and AMD so I always choose AMD :3

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    I'm a PC gamer primarily....so I don't buy my consoles for the graphics. I'm actually quite satisfied with most of the graphics on todays consoles.

I buy them for games I can't get on PC: Heavy Rain, Infamous, Halo, Uncharted, etc.

I do however like nice graphics. For me...it really helps to have a nice looking game. B/c of this...I have a feeling I might be playing my consoles more this coming generation. This next gen is going to have decent enough graphics that I'm going to be content.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Lol are you kidding me? Have you even taken the A+ certificate? Take a look at the study guide omg lol I can't even take you serious anymore, you're an obvious troll. I'm not even a "PC guy" most of my gaming is done on a PS3/Gamecube and a vita.

Forum Sage

yea my PC from 2005 can run this. i'm sure you speak of dota 2. look at the "recommended" requirements:
    * Processor: Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz
    * Memory: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista
    * Graphics: DirectX 9 compatible video card with Shader model 3.0. NVidia 7600, ATI X1600 or better
    * Hard Drive: At least 2.5 GB of free space
    * Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

again, my ****ty laptop can run this at low settings and around 22fps. not a resource hog.
    this game is from 3 years ago. let's hope that your 3 year old GPU can run this otherwise you paid for a piece of junk.
    again, this game doesn't require much power. look at the requirements.

So low settings at 22 FPS counts as running a game? That's not even playable I dare you to try and play a game of Dota with those kind of frame rates lol. Your behind will be served up on a plate.

This is the problem with PC guys. 1. They don't understand the differences between console environment and PC environment and their pros and cons. 2. They argue high-end gaming and then say, "You don't even need to upgrade every 3 years!" but then they can't back it up.

You basically went from saying,
    to the fact that you have a 3 year old system that can run games that are 3 years old or light-medium in the resource dept. and then you continue on to say that you think that your computer is now old and needs to be replaced. that's about a 3 year old computer. it makes you entire argument moot. give us better examples...such as...battlefield 3 (even though this is more of a medium) or crysis 3 or far cry 3. take a little screenshot, show us what your 3 year old computer can do.
    these were available somewhere around end of 2010 to 2011.
    came out in september 2010. that's exactly 3 years.
    these came out pretty much in 2011.
    but you're also running ****ty games on it. that doesn't prove anything.
    i don't think there's much weight in your claims. you can't talk about high-end gaming and then not show high-end games.

As I said last time. Buy big and you don't need to upgrade. my last rig which i stopped using 2 months ago was still able to play the latest games (my friend, benchmarked the latest Tomb Raider on it and got an average 34frames on highest settings, not the highest AA but he did have TressFX enabled) quite easly. and that is with cards from 2009.

Battlefield 3 my old PC would run on Ultra around 50-60 FPS though i ran everything on high to get a constant 80+fps... and to stop it sounding like it might take off.

Witcher 2 it ran everything on max without Ubersampling and maintained a frame rate about 60 fps - that game is beautiful.

Crysis 3 i never bought as it wasn't on Steam and I didn't buy FC3 until i got my new PC.

Nothing annoys me more than when people who clearly don't play on PC try and make claims that you need to buy a GPU every year to max out games. When people make claims that you just know their full of it, they haven't played on PC in a very long time or they bought a weak PC in the first place.
    Last edited by BBK..; 09-26-2013 at 10:32.

Elite Guru
    Nothing annoys me more than when people who clearly don't play on PC try and make claims that you need to buy a GPU every year to max out games. When people make claims that you just know their full of it, they haven't played on PC in a very long time or they bought a weak PC in the first place.
    I have to admit my PC is currently running a Core 2 quad that is 4 years old, still plays games fairly well. GPU is 3 years old but still holding up.

The yearly update thing is severely over played.

Forum Sage

Don't get me wrong, i agree that if you want the best you are going to have to update every few years. But if you buy the best you can buy at the time you buy it, then the whole "oh but you need to upgrade every year to experience the best graphics" is nothing but a lie.

Most people play at 1080p which is hardly a demanding resolution, to suggest you need a new card all the time to play at the resolution is laughable at best. Now if you said you wanted to play at 2560x1440 with all the settings on high, high quality shadows with AA and AF then yeah, you'll need to upgrade to a faster card with a decent amount of memory.

I understand that this is a console forum but there are just so many misconceptions about PC gaming that when you read them, as a PC gamer, you'd want to pull your hair out. The way I see it, if you are genuinely concerned with graphics and frame rate be a PC gamer. You get spoiled rotten. If you aren't really fussed all that much about visuals or framerate then play on console. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. What i really suggest is get both and have the best possible experience every time. PC for multiplatform titles, Consoles for exclusives.

23. Likes Arimax likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    @Effekt. run along now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    [COLOR=#333333]
    So low settings at 22 FPS counts as running a game? That's not even playable I dare you to try and play a game of Dota with those kind of frame rates lol. Your behind will be served up on a plate.
    I have more than one PC.

As I said last time. Buy big and you don't need to upgrade. my last rig which i stopped using 2 months ago was still able to play the latest games (my friend, benchmarked the latest Tomb Raider on it and got an average 34frames on highest settings, not the highest AA but he did have TressFX enabled) quite easly. and that is with cards from 2009.
    Battlefield 3 my old PC would run on Ultra around 50-60 FPS though i ran everything on high to get a constant 80+fps... and to stop it sounding like it might take off.

Witcher 2 it ran everything on max without Ubersampling and maintained a frame rate about 60 fps - that game is beautiful.

Crysis 3 i never bought as it wasn't on Steam and I didn't buy FC3 until i got my new PC.

buy big and then not run ambitious games in the next 3 years. everyone loves to bring games that their PC should have been able to play as they're OLD. witcher 2, came out in mid 2011, recommends a GTX 260. BF3, again 2011. your PC should be able to run all of this. these games are old!

conveniently skip all the games of today...that doesn't prove your point.

also, we already had this argument before. your PC (that you spoke about last time) had newer tech than 2009.

and you must be arguing with someone else because i did not say that PC gamers need to upgrade every year, in fact, i disagreed with the guy that mentioned that.

Forum Sage

It doesn't matter if you own a thousand PC's. The one that can 'play' Dota at 22fps isn't playing it at all. Maybe you and I have different opinions on what is playable but 22fps certainly isn't. Especially not in a game like that.

No. My PC didn't have newer tech than 2009.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...70-1gb-review/ that is the review of the reference card of what I had. September 2009. Though my cards were factory overclocked so were even faster.

So Tomb Raider, a 2013 title isn't a current game? Lol give it a rest man. Have you played that game on PC? Let me answer that for you. No. If you had of played it and seen it running on Max settings then you wouldn't be saying it's an easy game to run. One of the best looking games of the year. TressFX alone is very resource heavy. Sorry I didn't buy FC3 in time for me to test it on my old machine. Regardless, it would've ran it with ease.

Yes, Witcher 2 came out in 2011. Again, have you tried to run that game before? Even my friends 690 still finds that game hard to run with Ubersampling. Just because it has low minimum specs doesn't mean that the game is easy to run. What that means is that it scales down well down to low hardware. What next, Crysis came out in 2006, i bet that suddenly doesn't count for a game that is hard to run

I do respect you Sufi but when it comes to PC gaming it seems as if you just make things up most of the time. Suddenly BF3, a game STILL being used in Benchmarks due to it's DX11 effects is no longer a valid benchmark game because it came out in 2011

The last part of my post was aimed at anyone who thinks you need to upgrade annually to experience the best. If you are buying something like a GTX760 then of course you will need to upgrade sooner. But if you buy a top end card it will last you for ages.
    Last edited by BBK..; 09-26-2013 at 14:41.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    i love a good 2-ing and fro-ing

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Forum Guru
    [/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]http://www.psu.com/a021119/PS4-Xbox-...aphics-than-PC[/FONT][/COLOR]
    **** is this guy on?
    Suffering from what is known in medical science as "butthurtalot".

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    i love a good 2-ing and fro-ing
    You're all about the voyeurism aren't you :

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post

I was hoping this would happen. I've been an Intel/Nvidia customer since after the AMD Athlon era and have been wishing for a more competitive AMD again, and this Mantle announcement could really turn out to be a big deal over the coming years.

Essentially, AMD has leveraged their complete dominance of the console hardware market by, what seems to be, offering game developers on PC the same or similar access to their hardware at a lower level, closer to the metal, than the DX APIs. This is going to allow developers to port to PC more easily, and leverage the already significantly more powerful PC hardware that exists now, and will release in the future. There's already a performance gap between the unreleased next-gen consoles, and it's probably going to widen more quickly and aggressively this generation than it ever has before.

I've always been willing to pay a heavy premium for my gaming PCs to get a superior visual experience with more entertainment flexibility, etc; but with the recent Steam announcements and this move by AMD, we could be seeing an era where within a year or two you'll be able to buy a gaming PC for the same cost as a console that performs better, has more features and flexibility, and provides access to a larger catalog of less expensive games that extends all the way back to DOS and across older platforms via emulators. There's some really cool stuff going on in the space right now.
    Last edited by sneezymarble; 09-26-2013 at 16:09.
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

Thread Information