Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

PS4, Xbox One won't have better graphics than PCs, says Nvidia exec

The senior vice president of Content and Technology for Nvidia has claimed that modern video game consoles have no chance of matching the visual quality achievable in high-end PCs.Speaking with PC PowerPlay (via VideoGamer), Tom Tamsai observed that PCs have come into their own in the current generation of consoles, whereas back in the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 days, home computers weren’t capable of producing quality visuals .
    "It's no longer possible for a console to be a better or more capable graphics platform than the PC," said Tamasi. "I'll tell you why. In the past, certainly with the first PlayStation and PS2, in that era there weren't really good graphics on the PC. Around the time of the PS2 is when 3D really started coming to the PC, but before that time 3D was the domain of Silicon Graphics and other 3D workstations. Sony, SEGA or Nintendo could invest in bringing 3D graphics to a consumer platform. In fact, the PS2 was faster than a PC.
    "By the time of the Xbox 360 and PS3, the consoles were on par with the PC. If you look inside those boxes, they're both powered by graphics technology by AMD or NVIDIA, because by that time all the graphics innovation was being done by PC graphics companies.
    "NVIDIA spends 1.5 billion US dollars per year on research and development in graphics, every year, and in the course of a console's lifecycle we'll spend over 10 billion dollars into graphics research. Sony and Microsoft simply can't afford to spend that kind of money. They just don't have the investment capacity to match the PC guys; we can do it thanks to economy of scale, as we sell hundreds of millions of chips, year after year."
    Tamasi went on to say that consoles such as PlayStation and Xbox are limited by power supply, an area where PCs easily surpass home consoles.
    "The second factor is that everything is limited by power these days," explained Tamasi. "If you want to go faster, you need a more efficient design or a bigger power supply. The laws of physics dictate that the amount of performance you're going to get from graphics is a function of the efficiency of the architecture, and how much power budget you're willing to give it.
    "The most efficient architectures are from Nvidia and AMD, and you're not going to get anything that is significantly more power efficient in a console, as it's using the same core technology. Yet the consoles have power budgets of only 200 or 300 Watts, so they can put them in the living room, using small fans for cooling, yet run quietly and cool. And that's always going to be less capable than a PC, where we spend 250W just on the GPU. There's no way a 200W Xbox is going to be beat a 1000W PC.
    "The technology that we're applying to PC graphics is literally state of the art, at the limits of semiconductor technology. That's why I don’t think it’s possible any more to have a console that can outperform the PC,” he added.
    Ask any gaming PC aficionado and they’re bound to assert their belief that Sony and Microsoft’s new home consoles will be outdated in just a few years time. However, in PS4’s case at least, Sony has crafted the most powerful home console ever conceived, and developers are going to be tapping into its potential for many years to come, just as they did with PS3.
    PS4 is due out in the U.S. on November 15 and in Europe on November 29, while Xbox One arrives in both regions on November 22.
    http://www.psu.com/a021119/PS4-Xbox-...aphics-than-PC

$#@! is this guy on?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    In other news, water is wet! I will never expect a home console to be faster that a top of the line PC graphics card, the whole point of the console is the find a happy medium between graphics power/efficiency/cost! Sounds like nVidia is in pout pout mode because no one wanted to play ball with them this gen!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

3. Likes TEST SUBJECT 83 likes this post
    Veteran
    Although true, it seems like he's just a bit buttsore because NVIDIA isn't getting a cut from consoles lol.

5. Likes KungMartin90 , Demi_God , dondidit likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    i don't even care about that...his reasoning is so far off. power supply? is this guy for real? yes, in SOME ways that matters but he's making it seem like raising the power supply would automatically mean more power! you still would need a higher tech in there. not to mention, consoles are so efficient that you don't really need so much power supply to begin with.

and he fails to mention issues that are with the PC tech...who am i kidding? there's not a single point that he correctly made. how the hell would he know the difference between the two techs.

other than yea, water is wet lol. yes we know a closed off tech can't compete against a rolling tech

but if he's talking about performance, yes, there won't be anything like GT7 on PC for a very long time, let that sit for a while Mr. Tom Noob-sai.

Forum Sage

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread.php/318084-Nvidia-boss-“No-longer-possible”-for-consoles-to-have-better-graphics-than-PC

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    but if he's talking about performance, yes, there won't be anything like GT7 on PC for a very long time, let that sit for a while Mr. Tom Noob-sai.
    Who needs GT7...

Anyhow... Anyone buying a PS4 expecting high end PC visuals are always going to be disappointed. As long as you keep in mind your getting a £350 console that is going to provide some awesome exclusive games and be more accessible to gaming than PC gaming then I don't think there is a way to be disappointed. Regardless of what Nvidia are saying.
    Last edited by BBK..; 09-25-2013 at 15:06.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread.php/318084-Nvidia-boss-“No-longer-possible”-for-consoles-to-have-better-graphics-than-PC

Who needs GT7...

Anyhow... Anyone buying a PS4 expecting high end PC visuals are always going to be disappointed. As long as you keep in mind your getting a £350 console that is going to provide some awesome exclusive games and be more accessible to gaming than PC gaming then I don't think there is a way to be disappointed. Regardless of what Nvidia are saying.
    on multiplats, yes you can't expect high-end graphics. it is still possible that a dev may accomplish minimal difference between the platforms. but the extra oomph will still be on PC as you can slap on an SLI or 3x/4x and call it a day.

on an exclusive, $#@! yes you will see rivaling and better graphics, especially on the PS4 because it has the developer support and the power.

like i said dude, let's wait until GT7 but this project cars is rivaling Drive Club, meaning this proves my point that you can have high-end PC graphics on a console if it's a well-done exclusive (well done = takes advantage of the hardware). before you say, but this game has this and that! do understand that we're strictly comparing performance.
    Last edited by Omar; 09-25-2013 at 15:57.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Lol, I know what I want and that is EXACTLY what Sony is giving me. Take your high end pc which will need a few upgrade a few years later.Losing both major console manufacturers hurt them in the end, we start to hear some screams. Go for steambox nvidia, maybe we will meet with you there.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

10. Likes dondidit likes this post
    The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    There were a few PC stand-outs, but it was mostly the same game with just more AA, AF etc. There were plenty of exclusives that looked better than most PC games and impressed.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Ultimate Veteran
    In the age where you can buy a graphics card that costs as much as an XBone and PS4 combined, yeah, it's rather a no-brainer.

Ancient
    High end PC's are like American Muscle Car's and the owers are the same, they rev their engines at the starting line and look down upon us, but its the finely tuned Japanese sports that flys round that track more efficiently.
    Yes it has the power but hasn't enough road to use it.
    I have no doubts PC's will be delivering better resolution versions of nextgen games if you have the right stuff under the hood especially when newer chips are released, but games aren't going to be marginally better despite the spec of the hardware, they'll never be designed to be either.
    I'm still waiting for some real second and third generation games to be released so we actually see the spec on those things
    Remember Max Payne 3's requirements are way above current gen spec yet doesn't look that hardly any different.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by TGO; 09-25-2013 at 16:23.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    High end PC's are like American Muscle Car's and the owers are the same, they rev their engines at the starting line and look down upon us, but its the finely tuned Japanese sports that flys round that track more efficiently.
    Yes it has the power but hasn't enough road to use it.
    Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4

Dude, that was like the worst example ever. lol

Sent from Windows Phone using Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

15. Likes Arimax, billm0066 likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    yea lol because that would imply that console games perform better in general. they don't but maybe if he meant to a few of them but even then, they're not exactly miles better...they just sort of have an edge.

17. Likes victorijapoosp likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Although thats true as far as high end PC gaming rigs go this is still just sour grapes from Nvidia because they didnt get contracted by any of the three console companies. They would be a singing a different song if it was their GPU in these consoles.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Hahahahaha. This Guy is a whole Mountain of SALT!

How much would it cost to get the same visuals as a PS4 exclusive game, on PC hardware? Mobo+case+Power supply+memory sticks+CPU+GPU+Hard drive+ OS = £700-800 easily.

Why is the PS4 Power supply constrained? Because it is consumer tech and has to abide by a certain EU law that limits electricity consumption.

I'll stick to a £350 PS4 thanks.

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

PSU Live Streamer
    Hey look an article comparing a console to a "high-end pc"....thats something thats never been done before

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    Hey look an article comparing a console to a "high-end pc"....thats something thats never been done before
    and he actually failed doing that too.

it's almost like they're doing it for the uninformed masses.

Ultimate Veteran
    Well, a recent poll done on STEAM shows that most of the gamers on that service don't have gaming PCs that are as powerful as the PS4 or the XBone. So, the guy from NVidia does have a point, and people will definitely upgrade their gaming PCs as time goes on.. It does deserve to be said that it is more likely that if you are a PC gamer, unless you are recent in your upgrades or spilled a lot of money on your rig a few years back, the PS4 would be an upgrade for you.

For $400, you are getting a better system than most STEAM users. All things considered, that's a very good buy.

23. Likes victorijapoosp likes this post
    Forum Sage

on multiplats, yes you can't expect high-end graphics. it is still possible that a dev may accomplish minimal difference between the platforms. but the extra oomph will still be on PC as you can slap on an SLI or 3x/4x and call it a day.
    Oh of course. Anyone should know by know that multiplats will always look better on PC. Not even a debate.

on an exclusive, $#@! yes you will see rivaling and better graphics, especially on the PS4 because it has the developer support and the power.
    This, i'm not too sure about. I guess we will find out in a few months time. I remember hearing Killzone 2 would supposedly look better than Crysis. If they can squeeze out better graphics out of a PS4 than my PC i'll be impressed. Hopefully they won't have to cut many corners.

If they do pull it off i'm still a winner as PC and PS4 will be my starting platforms for next generation.

like i said dude, let's wait until GT7 but this project cars is rivaling Drive Club, meaning this proves my point that you can have high-end PC graphics on a console if it's a well-done exclusive (well done = takes advantage of the hardware). before you say, but this game has this and that! do understand that we're strictly comparing performance.
    Ok sure, i'm happy to wait until GT7, but by the time GT7 is out who is to say there won't be another racer, looking better? Personally to me, and the video I linked of Project Cars, it looked better than anything of DC that i've seen. But that's just me.

Comparing those two videos in the spoiler, DC looks far too washed out. Not saying it's an ugly game. I'm just saying it's not quite as good as Project Cars
    Last edited by BBK..; 09-25-2013 at 17:16.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    What is funny is that they wouldn't be going out and saying this stuff if they didn't feel threatened by the new systems coming out, so my guess is that they are worried that more PC gamers are going to jump ship to the new consoles instead of dumping insane amounts of money into their gaming rigs...

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

26. Likes Suzano-O likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Oh of course. Anyone should know by know that multiplats will always look better on PC. Not even a debate.

This, i'm not too sure about. I guess we will find out in a few months time. I remember hearing Killzone 2 would supposedly look better than Crysis. If they can squeeze out better graphics out of a PS4 than my PC i'll be impressed. Hopefully they won't have to cut many corners.
    GT5 was pretty bomb ass for a long time. really even now, there isn't much competition against the perfection of the car models of GT5. next-gen is still not here yet.

that's what i mean. but as far as FPS...that might change this generation. these consoles are more than capable and KZ:SF looks among the best out there, running at 60fps 1080p.

Ok sure, i'm happy to wait until GT7, but by the time GT7 is out who is to say there won't be another racer, looking better?
    PD are the best in the business, that's your issue there. if PD was on PC, i would not argue here. the problem is that no other platform has a developer (racing games) that works as hard as PD. GT5 wasn't perfect by any means, it was pretty bad in some aspects but when it came to car physics and model details, there's just not competition.

so i don't think there will be competition for a long time on PC. that doesn't meant hat PC won't have better racers because i know they have always had racers that had more to offer. no doubt. but if you're talking about car handling and models/environments, the combination PD gives is unbeatable, even on PC.

Personally to me, and the video I linked of Project Cars, it looked better than anything of DC that i've seen. But that's just me.

Comparing those two videos in the spoiler, DC looks far too washed out. Not saying it's an ugly game. I'm just saying it's not quite as good as Project Cars
    that's because you're looking at a very old build

Last edited by Omar; 09-25-2013 at 17:48.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    This has nothing to do with consoles and more to do with AMD. So far AMD has been selling far more GPU's. If any one console maker be it MS or Sony had an overpriced Nvidia GPU in their system, you better be sure none of this would have been said or at least the other console would have been getting grief from them.

Nvidia has spoken about this stuff before though so this isn't anything new.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Here's a thought. Take a 7yr old PC game and what would be a high end PC back then. Now take a new PC game and run it on that 7yr old PC. It will actually look worse than the 7yr old game - reason there's no optimization only brute force and trying to jam more processing in on the PCs and PC games. Result, you need to spend a consoles worth of money annually to keep up with the times.

Now take the PS3 and a launch title, now take 'The Last of US' and compare them on the same spec'd PS3 that you paid a single one time investment for 7yrs worth of gaming.

Sure it's not as good graphically but the quality is Damn Good and at the investment cost the PC market can't compete.

30. Likes TEST SUBJECT 83 likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Here's a thought. Take a 7yr old PC game and what would be a high end PC back then. Now take a new PC game and run it on that 7yr old PC. It will actually look worse than the 7yr old game - reason there's no optimization only brute force and trying to jam more processing in on the PCs and PC games. Result, you need to spend a consoles worth of money annually to keep up with the times.

Now take the PS3 and a launch title, now take 'The Last of US' and compare them on the same spec'd PS3 that you paid a single one time investment for 7yrs worth of gaming.

Sure it's not as good graphically but the quality is Damn Good and at the investment cost the PC market can't compete.
    annual cost may be that on an average but i wouldn't say that would be the case every year. i think people upgrade every few years...rather than every year.

but yea, that's precisely the point i try to make at times. i can't believe this Nvidia guy did not even imply anything remotely close to it. he's just straight up comparing raw power lol. and PSU...wtf!?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    So in short Nvidia is still pissed they didn't get either console deals. Of course they aren't going to beat PC in terms of graphics.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Dedicated Member

GT5 was pretty bomb ass for a long time. really even now, there isn't much competition against the perfection of the car models of GT5. next-gen is still not here yet.
    The car models in GT5 looked great, yes. However, in GT5 the environment looked like it came straight from 1998 though.

Canned lighting, large flat polygons, sprite trees, it's all there.

Not to mention GT5 could never compete with PC physics, online, or the number of cars on the track at once. And yes, the PC was not only matching, but was exceeding the GT5 in-game car models.

Last edited by Completely Average; 09-25-2013 at 19:13.

Thread Information