Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Kotaku: Worried about Kinect

http://kotaku.com/why-im-a-little-bi...ect-1381738496

I am a little bit worried about Kinect.

Iíve just spent 10 minutes being scanned into Kinect Sports Rivals. Iím not sure if itís working correctly. The only feedback I am being given is from a Microsoft rep to my right. Heís politely giving me instructions when the Kinect (for some reason) stops the scan.

ďTake a step forward.Ē

ďTake a step back.Ē

ďMaybe just tilt your head a little bit left.Ē

After this laborious effort (which Iím assured will be streamlined before launch) Kinect Sports Rivals goes through the process of translating the information into a virtual representation of me. As it does its calculations I ask myself, Ďif this is difficult with a Microsoft representative guiding me step by step, how difficult will it be for a ten year old in the comfort of his or her own home, or parents whoíve never used a console before?í

Then my avatar pops up. It looks vaguely like me. Vaguely. Thatís being generous. The 3DS did a similar job of creating my Mii with a single low-resolution photograph. Was it really worth all that effort?

Now to play Kinect Sports Rivals itself. The rep sets up a two player game. Rock climbing. As someone obsessed with rock climbing (I climb three times a week) Iím super excited. I stand side by side with the Microsoft rep. Immediately I notice there is something wrong. My avatarís limbs are contorted like some screwed up Lovecraftian marionette, my arms twitch incessantly, clearly not responding to any of my movements.

I think we have a problem here.

Yesterday I spent a fair amount of time with the Xbox Oneís new Kinect, and it seemed like a significant chunk of that time was spent trying to get things to work when (two months from the launch of Xbox One) they should simply work.

We were supposed to be forgiving, and we were. After two player Rock Climbing on Kinect Sports Rivals clearly wasnít working, I was happy to simply try out the single player, despite Microsoft making a big fuss of the fact Kinect allows multiple players on-screen simultaneously. Single player climbing worked more fluidly but, regardless, I never really felt like I was in control of my actions. My movements werenít being replicated accurately. I felt as though I was fumbling my way to the top with no real in-game feedback; no real sense that Kinect was working as advertised.

ĎThe lag has been reduced massivelyí: thatís what weíre constantly being told in conferences, in communications with Microsoft, in interviews, in previews. I have no doubt there are figures to back those statements up, but the disconnect between my movements in real life as replicated on screen is obvious. I feel it, instantly, and it makes playing any game with Kinect a frustrating experience. The next game I play is Wakeboarding, it feels a little better than climbing, but itís nowhere near responsive enough. The delay is obvious to anyone who plays it, to the point where I canít imagine anyone investing in it to any great extent.

I find myself asking another question: three years after the release of Kinect, how many video games have really worked well with Kinect? I come up with two names. Two. Dance Central and Child of Eden. In three years. Is it possible that Kinect just isnít suited for video games?

Iím worried about Kinect. Mere months from launch it feels imprecise, temperamental and clumsy. On more than one occasion its voice recognition, being demonstrated by a Microsoft rep from the US with an American accent, needed three or four repeats of ĎXbox Homeí to do what a single button press could have done in half a second. If Microsoft reps who have been briefed and have lived with the Xbox One for months are struggling to make everything work seamlessly, what chance does the average punter have?

And make no mistake, a device like Kinect ó the device Microsoft is hellbent on shoehorning into our living space ó must be seamless if the Xbox One is to capture the mainstream audience Microsoft is lusting after. In short: I have very little confidence in Kinectís ability to respond quickly, efficiently or consistently and thatís an issue.

But the major issue is this: if you want to purchase an Xbox One, Kinect is being forced upon you. You are paying extra for a device that, two months from launch, feels like a rough, unfinished product. You donít have a choice and thatís problematic.

When Kinect was first announced ó as Project Natal ó it felt monumental, as if Microsoft had captured some sort of rare lightning. Don Mattrick looked and talked like a strange time traveller, with a device he had somehow stolen from a distant, brilliant future. Our minds were alive with possibility. Since that day those possibilities have faded and declined, yet Microsoft still seems driven by that squandered potential ó by the future that Project Natal promised but couldnít deliver upon. Stop trying to make fetch happen, it isnít going to happen.

I want to be positive about Kinect, but itís difficult. Some aspects work well: facial recognition, although slow, is a great idea. I love that it recognises who is holding which controller and responds accordingly. This is a useful, future facing feature and itís the result of great innovative thinking. Easier than passing switch controllers? Maybe not, but it has benefits, particularly in tandem with Xbox Oneís customisable homepage. Watching the console adjust preferences on the fly based on who was holding which controller was quite breathtaking. ĎThis is what Kinect should be used for,í I thought.

But that was the 10%. During the remaining 90%, Kinect felt like it was a hindrance, forcing users to swim against the giant leaps Microsoft made with Xbox Oneís user friendly UI, which looks fantastic. Sure, I can turn Kinect off ó thatís my choice. But I still have to pay for it. I donít have a choice there.

So, yes. I think there are issues there ó not with the Xbox One, with Kinect specifically. Forza Motorsport looks incredible, Ryse seems to have made strides in the combat department and I walked away genuinely blown away by the scale and ambition of Dead Rising 3.

But Kinect? Iím a little bit worried about Kinect.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I read that earlier as well, that is pretty bad that they don't have all the issues hammered out with Kinect already...this wouldn't be such a huge issue except for the fact that they are forcing it upon every person that buys a XB1!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Kinect is the least of my worries. It's not perfect but much better than the first which is ok by me.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    It is not like kinect will have third party support, so no one needs to be worried except the $100 MS stole from them.
    (ē_ē)
    ( ē_ē)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    It is not like kinect will have third party support, so no one needs to be worried except the $100 MS stole from them.
    Kinect already has 3rd party support on release games. Most of the press about kinect hands on demos have been positive.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    If youre going to force a peripheral on your customers and pass the cost onto them then you should at least be making sure that it works properly as intended.

Veteran
    Just more indicators the XBone is heading to launch in a very incomplete state. Considering Kinect was once supposed to be the cornerstone of the XBone gaming environment, these events are indicating another 180 in one of its supposedly key features. There were all the indications of some big blowout presentation of the new Kinect since February, and it never materialized. There are only some brief mentions about one casual Kinect game after another, but even its supposedly big tie-in to Forza has quietly gone off the table. MS has made a big deal about how ready they are, at least verbally, but hands-on demonstrations are proving otherwise. It is getting really strange at this point to head into the holiday sales with a console that requires what is essentially a big dongle and the dongle just dangles. It seems MS will try to jam some Kinect-centric commercials some time in the next few weeks or it really is going to turn out it was totally a Mattrick thing and now that he is gone, all the priority support for Kinect has become a deflated balloon.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Dedicated Member

The NSA has assured me that Kinect works fine and it's nothing for anyone to be worried about.

9. Likes F34R likes this post
    Banned

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I sure the hell hope this thing works as advertised, upon launch. It doesn't sound too promising so far.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I sure the hell hope this thing works as advertised, upon launch. It doesn't sound too promising so far.
    That depends on what you choose to believe. There have been way more positive than negative out there, and what he sampled is not a finished product, just like any demo.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    That depends on what you choose to believe. There have been way more positive than negative out there, and what he sampled is not a finished product, just like any demo.
    Can you make a thread and post the positive stuff? With links, videos, interviews, etc? I haven't seen much of anything that has been positive on how it works in game. That would be really reassuring if you could... super please?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Of course the thing will have kinks. Just like a game that is not finished it will have quite a few flaws. Only thing about this is, it's an integral part of the system. This close to launch you would expect they would have it working pretty closed to finished state. I'm sure all will be normal when it launched though.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Can you make a thread and post the positive stuff? With links, videos, interviews, etc? I haven't seen much of anything that has been positive on how it works in game. That would be really reassuring if you could... super please?
    Agreed, theres potential for a great thread by Sub if he can gather all that positive feedback under one thread.

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    If Kinect cant recognise an American accent (to which most voice rec. software from Siri to Google Now are based/catered to) then Xboxers around the world are screwed.

Can't even call it ethnocentric if it doesn't even work for Americans.

Or rather it's more towards the middle = Some good things, some bad things. None can really be dismissed, good or bad.
    Last edited by Admartian; 09-25-2013 at 21:57.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Kinect already has 3rd party support on release games. Most of the press about kinect hands on demos have been positive.
    Kinect has no future, just like Sony left Move aside except a few 1st party studios, kinect is going to die in someday, it is only at there for tv/navigation functions not in for gaming section. If you are talking about dancing games , YaY for you then...
    (ē_ē)
    ( ē_ē)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    This is just like the kinect for the 360. people raved about it then once it released after a week no one said a word. They certainly need to change some heads in that company because whoever is running the show at microsoft for Xbox One is doing a horrible job. The PR has been horrible, the reveal was simply awful. Honestly, you would think at this point there is no where for this system to go but up. I'm not making jabs here either, I'm being dead honest.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    Kinect has no future, just like Sony left Move aside except a few 1st party studios, kinect is going to die in someday, it is only at there for tv/navigation functions not in for gaming section. If you are talking about dancing games , YaY for you then...
    I agree. Packaging in Kinect and making consumers foot the bill tells me that MS doesn't have much confidence in Kinect 2.0 selling very well as a standalone option.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    I agree. Packaging in Kinect and making consumers foot the bill tells me that MS doesn't have much confidence in Kinect 2.0 selling very well as a standalone option.
    Yep. I think Kinect had its time and it's over now. I just don't think stand alone Kinect 2.0 would do that well. So in turn they just went ahead and stuck it in there.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

21. Likes Christopher , mistercrow likes this post
    overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    There won't be a Kinect in my house, so until they ditch it, no xbone either

Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

23. Likes TheBreezyBB , PS4freak , mistercrow likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Hmmm....I wonder why all those causal wii owners didn't buy a wiiU...I wonder why they didn't buy kinect...100m wiis, 26m kinects...kinect sales fizzling out...clearly the casuals are gaming somewhere...could it be that they are the ones gaming on cell phones and tablets since they didn't buy kinect 1.0/360 or a wiiU(def not a ps3/move)...

I can totally see that 100m wii casual audience buying a 500 dollar console just to have kinect 2.0 when they already skipped over kinect 1.0. It makes perfect sense.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    a big dongle and the dongle just dangles.
    This may be my favourite combination of words of all time

This doesn't bode too well but it is just one person's experience with a device and game that is still being worked on (I imagine) so it cant be counted as indicative of the final product.

I still maintain that after several decades of gamers interacting with games via physical inputs, the industry just isn't ready for such a vastly different form of control. Not just from a technical standpoint, but from a gamer's perspective, especially enthusiast gamers who are discerning and expect quality. Inaccuracy and latency may be passable to casuals but that's about it.

26. Likes Christopher , PS4freak , Admartian likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    "Ryse seems to have made strides in the combat department"

What?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    "Ryse seems to have made strides in the combat department"

What?
    It did evolve from it's reveal. It seemed stricktly qte first time i saw it and now i believe it's only for the finishing move... I dont pay much attention to it but the combat looks way better than it use to.

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Forum Overseer
    hmmm fair enough.

Thread Information