Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself

PlayStation 4 Audio Processor (ACP)

Good to see some new info on the PS4 hardware starting to surface!

http://www.vgleaks.com/playstation-4...processor-acp/

Mark Cerny confirmed in an interview that PlayStation 4 uses hardware expressly dedicated to audio tasks. What are the capabilities of this hardware? What is Sony telling to developers about it?
    Here we have some material from Sony’s presentations where you can learn more about audio custom hardware in PS4. This dedicated hardware will manage basic tasks, for game or system, relying on the CPU or GPU for advanced tasks.
    Another important point is that this audio block is not programmable by developers directly, they could only access it via OS.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

2. Likes D3seeker likes this post
    Ancient
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    GTA6 is gonna sound amazing

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Nice!

Sent from Windows Phone using Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    It is nice to see that they have a dedicated audio processor in the system, which if memory serves me right, the PS3 and Xbox360 both use the CPU for audio processing.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

PSU Technical Advisor
    IF this is correct, it says that the custom silicon will do compression\decompression which is (from what I've heard) the most CPU intensive aspect of audio. However, unlike SHAPE in Xb1* it won't do actual audio 'processing'. On PS4 that's still up to CPU or GPGPU.

*An unknown portion of this may be taken up by Kinect 2.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    IF this is correct, it says that the custom silicon will do compression\decompression which is (from what I've heard) the most CPU intensive aspect of audio. However, unlike SHAPE in Xb1* it won't do actual audio 'processing'. On PS4 that's still up to CPU or GPGPU.

In gaf a quote from bkillian states, the shape processor in the xb1 will be used up by kinect that little is left for devs to use

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post

Uhm... The Filtering and Effects would fall under the category of Audio Processing. There's really not a lot to do. The only thing I'd question is what APIs are provided for the game devs to actually utilize this. And how is SHAPE access implemented on XB1.

Total custom audio processing would be CPU centric, but this would be a very insignificant amount of processing compared to the sum total.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    In gaf a quote from bkillian states, the shape processor in the xb1 will be used up by kinect that little is left for devs to use

Doesn't sound right to me. Why would it have the capability to decompress and mix 200+ audio channels for a game if it's just left to run Kinect stuff? You also have to realise that Shape is actually 4 processors, so it can potentially be allocated to different areas without much issue.

It would be pointless even mentioning the game stuff if Kinect drained its potential.

As for the ps3/360 yes they both processed it on the CPU's, Cell was exceptionally good at this task. Going full speed, if you could provide the data in RAM it was possible to decode, mix and recompress approximately 2000 mp3 files simultaneously. It worked out to roughly 400 files in real time per SPE.

That said while these new machine are taking a little speed in terms of the raw numbers side, the real world difference will be unnoticeable.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    Doesn't sound right to me. Why would it have the capability to decompress and mix 200+ audio channels for a game if it's just left to run Kinect stuff? You also have to realise that Shape is actually 4 processors, so it can potentially be allocated to different areas without much issue.

It would be pointless even mentioning the game stuff if Kinect drained its potential.

As for the ps3/360 yes they both processed it on the CPU's, Cell was exceptionally good at this task. Going full speed, if you could provide the data in RAM it was possible to decode, mix and recompress approximately 2000 mp3 files simultaneously. It worked out to roughly 400 files in real time per SPE.

That said while these new machine are taking a little speed in terms of the raw numbers side, the real world difference will be unnoticeable.
    Looking at the block diagram of SHAPE I'd say he's right. Pretty much the Vector Processor portion (AVP block) is what would be used for non-generic Audio Processing features (which there are a bunch of blocks for generic Audio Processing EQ, Mixer, Filter, XMA Decoder, ...) but the AVP is dominated by Kinect functionality.

They're both nice to have functionality but in game audio isn't going to really benefit from it. What will improve will be things like cross game chat, playing of external audio sources, etc.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post

I'll look up the quote for you

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Looking at the block diagram of SHAPE I'd say he's right. Pretty much the Vector Processor portion (AVP block) is what would be used for non-generic Audio Processing features (which there are a bunch of blocks for generic Audio Processing EQ, Mixer, Filter, XMA Decoder, ...) but the AVP is dominated by Kinect functionality.

They're both nice to have functionality but in game audio isn't going to really benefit from it. What will improve will be things like cross game chat, playing of external audio sources, etc.
    Thinking over it, that actually sounds right now. My bad.

Not sure why I would have thought it would need such a large amount of resources for audio mixing.

Master Sage
    So custom soundtracks confirmed?

The 150 part harmonies on Backstreet Boys Rock Band is going to be awesome.

Thread Information