Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself

Sony Japan SVP Talks about the PS4′s Design, New Colors, USB 3.0 and more!

Some interesting info!

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09/...-one-and-more/

Yesterday we published a summary of an interview to Sony Computer Entertainment Japan and Asia Senior Vice president and Director of Business Unit 1 Masayasu Ito about the technical specifications of the PS4, but there’s a second interview on Famitsu.com, and this one is just as interesting, talking about the PS4′s design process, possible new colors, the reason why the USB 3.0 technology was chosen, what he feels about the difference with the console’s most direct competitor and more.
    Here’s a handy summary of the most relevant points made:

• Affordability was an important goal when developing the PS4, since even if you make a great hardware, it’s hard to sell if it’s expensive. However, performance had to be high as well. It wasn’t easy to strike a balance between these two factors.
    • A number of different designs were considered, but the final design was adopted because it felt “new” but it also shown the DNA of PlayStation, especially from the PS2 era.
    • Ito-san pushed for the adoption of USB 3.0 technology. While 2.0 was commonplace while the console was being designed, it was argued that 3.0 will become mainstream after the console’s release.
    • The USB 3.0 technology is also indispensable for the PlayStation Camera. While the connector has a special shape, its technology is still USB 3.0. The PlayStation Camera’s resolution could not be achieved with USB 2.0 tech due to lack of bandwidth.
    • Playing Full games on the PlayStation App will be difficult (today Shuhei Yoshida actually outright denied that possibility) due to the controls that are significantly different from the DualShock 4.
    • The evolution of the DualShock 4 controller is the result of a long trial and error process. It’s been fine-tuned due to the feedback from user tests repeated many times.
    • The L2 and R2 buttons received some pretty delicate adjustments to their resistance to pressure due to developer feedback. Their angle was also improved. Materials and shape of the controller were reviewed from scratch to increase the comfort and grip.
    • The release of different colors of the DualShock 4 (which will available in blue and red as well as black) was due to a strong request from the marketing department.
    • Designers were made aware of the possibility of color variations of the console itself from the beginning, and were first asked to design freely and then narrowed the amount of designs down. They were asked: “I want you to to this assuming color variations”.
    • Ito’s impression of the Xbox One is that it tries to be an entertainment device, on the other hand PS4 focuses on games. of course PS4 also does entertainment, as Sony is an Audio/Video company after all.
    • CD Playback was not included because the idea is to enjoy a variety of content by connecting to the network, so for music you can enjoy it through Music Unlimited. In addition to that when you take photos and videos you can save them to the cloud and enjoy them from there. The PS4 expresses its true value by connecting to the net.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Power Member
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    White console and with changing LED light = my dream PS4 console

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I'd get a white PS4 too.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Ariakace55
    stickin with the black. every device i own is black. keep in line with tradition. Even have a black PSOne. Painted it that way though.... looked pretty horrible being the only non-black device near my TV.

Tacos Rule!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariakace View Post
    stickin with the black. every device i own is black. keep in line with tradition. Even have a black PSOne. Painted it that way though.... looked pretty horrible being the only non-black device near my TV.
    You take uniformity to another level! (y)

Elite Sage

More options are always a good thing but give it to me in black. Electronics always look better in black, IMO.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Ariakace55
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    You take uniformity to another level! (y)
    You should see me build my camps in starcraft ^.^

Tacos Rule!

8. Likes KungMartin90 likes this post
    Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I like the traditional black look. I do think a white console would be sick looking. Also, lol at the fact that they basically confirmed they took out CD support so you buy a music unlimited subscription. I called that one!

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Dedicated Member
    I still retain my gray ps1 and I definitely wouldn't mind a ps4 in white. They do sell a LE version of ps3 in classic white dont they? (remember seeing the bundle on amazon)

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I think there will be more colors with how sony is handling everything. I can see sony making colored PS4's, maybe even a white one. Not just for the UK.

Thread Information