Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

They're the "Baby Boomers", so what are we?

My parents' generation is the "baby boomers". What name do you think our generation will get? The "College debtors" or something like that?

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Crowd control
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    We are the lost generation. Left to deal with the $#@! our parents generation have left us in.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    We are the "entitled" generation.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I believe our generation is called Generation X. Not 100% on this but I believe that is what they called it in sociology.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

7. Likes Lebowski , Ezekiel, PS4freak likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    The Welfare Generation

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    We are the lost generation. Left to deal with the $#@! our parents generation have left us in.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    I've actually heard us being called the Boomerang generation simply because a majority of us leave home and our parents go off on our own and for some unforeseen circumstance have to return home to our parents and our gen is staying with our parents longer before dipping in real life. Might just be US, just something I've been hearing

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Well H g wells once said

" So as long as i can get my hole "
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    The lowly internet generation; ''tools for change, but not that ​bothered''.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

13. Likes Malt, Lebowski likes this post
    "Officially" we are called Generation Y.

There's actually a kick-ass article debating that,but it's wrote on portuguese.

We're the generation that the baby boomers steal from.

16. Likes Ezekiel likes this post

Pretty sure we are the Entitlement Generation. Which is funny when you read the other comments here. haha

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Also referred to as millennials (not sure that applies to 80's and 90's kids). Aka, the self-entitled, full of narcissism generation who are virtually $#@!ed for employment, thanks to the baby boomers.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Also referred to as millennials (not sure that applies to 80's and 90's kids). Aka, the self-entitled, full of narcissism generation who are virtually $#@!ed for employment, thanks to the baby boomers.
    It's amazing that "baby boomers" were born from a generation that was called the "greatest generation". A generation that sacrificed everything and gave birth to a generation that doesn't want to sacrifice anything.

20. Likes Malt likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    The credit crunch kids..

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    I exclude myself from a generation, I am a unique individual having nothing to do with a generation of people.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    I exclude myself from a generation, I am a unique individual having nothing to do with a generation of people.
    There's always one...

24. Likes Cybertox likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    I believe our generation is called Generation X. Not 100% on this but I believe that is what they called it in sociology.
    No, that generation is in their 30's now.

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    No, that generation is in their 30's now.
    I thought that was the 90's?

Thank you itachi

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    I thought the term 'generation x' was just term used to describe any generation while taking about a specific generation in a specific context?

Dedicated Member
    It depends on your 'age'.
    I"m 39 now. Looks like we've been and will continue to be the wetnurse generation....

Now that our ahole divorced parents are all getting sick and dying off from their various assorted $#@!, whether they were made sic in a war, did to much drugs, or were just generally assholes (i do realize some people had good families, but divorce was at an all time high in our parent's generation) and their generation of politicians have sold out the US and other nations to big pharma and other megacorps and China like they have, it's up to use to see this disaster and fix it without falling into another trap, which is probably already laid out for us.

For the younger than I generation, in your late 20's, I hope you know what's going on, and for those in your early 20's and teens, don't even try to follow the train of thought, you'll be happier that way.
    In addition, the Internet is the first form of 'prosperity' which has ever detracted severely from the workforce and physical economy , creating digital intangible items that might as well be fantasy, detracting from sales of physical assets. The classic economists did correctly predict that increased efficiency and increasing population would reach beyond a break even point to cause unemployment in the absence of continued supply , not elimination, of skilled labor and unskilled labor jobs (See OUTSOURCING for a reference).

Essentially, we are left to figure out the 'new world' and how to make a system that works out of it while megacorps just want to profiteer and haven't a single concern for 'the people' as long as there are 'enough' people with money to buy their ever lowering margin products from them.

Apprentice
    Apparently we are the entitled generation. They think we're lazy moochers.

Sent from my Nexus 4

I just read a book on this, relating to demographics.This only really applies to North America btw, generational gaps and demographics change from country to country I'm sure.

Before I start with anything, I'd like to point out that the "lost generation" already existed in the early 1900s. They came of age during WW1.

Baby boomers are mid 1940s-ish until the late 1960s, with the tail end of it this from 60-67 ish being called Gen X. Gex X are in fact a part of the baby boom, but since the earlier part of the baby boom (a very large population) was already grown and established long before Gen X was, Gen X differs in the opportunity it had with so much of the space already filled in careers, homes, etc. The end of any similar boom always has a disadvantage to the beginning.

Whoever commented on Gen X being "early 90s" is only partially right. Gen X was highly publicized in the early 90's as the 20 somethings with $#@! attitudes who weren't going anywhere, there was also depression around the same time. So really it was just a bad mix in demographics and economy for this generation. This is your "grunge" era. Gen Xers are now mostly in their 40s.

End 60s to End 70s are group in part of a drop in birth rates. I forget what my book called these people. Most of the boomers weren't having kids yet so this group is some in between generation without as much competition as the one that preceded it.

1980-1994 or so are the "echo boomers", generally the children of the baby boomers. This is the current generation of youth, commonly referred to as "Gen Y" or "millennials" right now. This generation also shows a boom in birth rates, although not nearly to the level of the original boom. The end of this generation, from the late 80s to the early 90s kids have the same demographic disadvantage as the Gen Xers did being at the end of a boom. That's why us really young guys are so $#@!ed up. My book called it "X2".

Everything after 95-now is really sort of undefined. Generation Z is a term, and it defines the upcoming group of young kids and teenagers growing up right now.

Keep in mind this info can all me shifted around a bit if you really want to argue which generation is when, or due to individual circumstance, but this is pretty accurate as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Alex_1991; 12-13-2013 at 15:34.

Thread Information