Latest PSU headlines:

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

No More "Black Friday" Tradition?

http://business.time.com/2013/09/26/...ion/?hpt=hp_t5

Is Black Friday dying? More evidence is showing up indicating that the day after Thanksgiving is not the best day for finding deals. Some retail experts are even forecasting that Black Friday will disappear as an American consumer tradition.

“We are seeing the eventual extinction of Black Friday.” So says Bill Tancer, head of global research for Experian Marketing Services.

Such a comment may come as a surprise to the many shoppers who couldn’t escape the phrase “Black Friday” if they tried. “Black Friday” sales have been appearing long before, and long after, the actual Black Friday, which traditionally takes place the day after Thanksgiving. While it’s common for retailers to conduct “Only X Days Until …” countdowns to major holidays for gift-exchanging like Christmas, last year Staples offered a countdown to Black Friday, which is supposed to be a day for shopping in anticipation of another day.

Nonetheless, to some extent, Tancer is right about Black Friday. While the phrase “Black Friday” is more ubiquitous and overused than ever, the act of physically going shopping on the actual Black Friday is on the decline. Black Friday shopping won’t be extinct anytime soon, but it has undeniably been losing its importance in the marketplace.
    If you want to read the full article, click on the link above.

Do you still shop on Black Fridays? Will you miss it if it were to disappear?

I've never shopped on Black Fridays but I have relatives and friends who do.

Currently Playing: Pokemon X

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm a big fan of Black Friday. Mostly because of the entertainment of people watching lol.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

3. Likes Kwes likes this post
    Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Been happening for a while. I mean look at black friday "deals" the past two years. They suck. You find better through out the year. I hope Black Friday does die. Retailers getting smart spreading deal over the course of two or more months.
    Facebook-https://www.facebook.com/gameryuichi I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Internet retailers are killing black Friday honestly. You can find most deals off Amazon at some point during the day.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I basically don't go to Black Friday sales in retail stores unless it's for an extremely good deal. That would mean a great price for a super quality product. Good luck finding those.

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I'm a big fan of Black Friday. Mostly because of the entertainment of people watching lol.
    That's the only good thing about it. I prefer to sit on a bench and not get knocked over by crazy people.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Unbound Mercenary
    I go black friday shopping every year, and barely ever buy anything.

On occasion I might buy a cheap movie or two, but besides that its just fun to do. Seeing all the people go ape**** for the "deals".
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Veteran
    The deals just aren't what they used to be on Black Friday.

Superior Member
    It's been Black Friday since about Sept 2008 when the US Economy nosedived. I haven't seen a recovery at retail since.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    I go black friday shopping every year, and barely ever buy anything.

On occasion I might buy a cheap movie or two, but besides that its just fun to do. Seeing all the people go ape**** for the "deals".
    Exactly! I've witness fights over the most stupid ****. I remember back when tickle me Elmo came out. People were going bananas at black Friday.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanGT View Post
    The deals just aren't what they used to be on Black Friday.
    Oh I agree. Now it's about low priced, cheap quality crap.

13. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Oh I agree. Now it's about low priced, cheap quality crap.
    Yep. Even game deals suck now. They used to be awesome and you only have a handful of good deals there. Just not what it used to be. Online retailers are beating them out and its just like they don't even want to put up a fight. Honestly the best thing they could do is make sure they have don't leak the ads. That way everyone knows what they have and decide if they want to fight the crowds or not. Also online retailers can't use their own deals against them.

But it's a bit of a double edged sword because if people don't know they might just decide too skip and sit at home.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    InkedOne78
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Shouldn't it be called black Thursday Night into Friday?? These sales now start at 8pm Thursday night.

Thread Information