Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 ... LastLast
    Elite Member
    It does look better but a downgrade is a downgrade 150k to 85k means whatever they were trying to pull off they couldn't do it. It's a good move though the game, gameplay wise looks dissapointing. I was okay with the first gameplay trailer with Ryse as they stormed the beach I thought the QTE was awful though. The arena gameplay really dissapointed me I didn't see anything appealing about it if this downgrade allows Ryse to be like it was in it's original trailer but with more freedom then I could give this game a pass. I think Crytek went into this bumping their chests "we are the best at PC gfx" and realized that okay maybe we should scale a few things back. At the end of the day this game has to sell for Crytek and MS. If Crytek says it ran on XBO hardware than it did who here has the credibility to say it didn't? Honesty I could care less about what Crytek says because what they say is in their own intrest not ours.
    Last edited by hood; 09-30-2013 at 05:59.
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    they probably could do it, just that it was pointless to do so. The game did get better-looking so if one wants to call it a downgrade then might as well call every game a downgrade because I'm sure developer make these choices all the time. it doesn't matter how powerful a platform is.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    To be honest, its probably a bloody cheap way of doing anti-ailising.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    they probably could do it, just that it was pointless to do so. The game did get better-looking so if one wants to call it a downgrade then might as well call every game a downgrade because I'm sure developer make these choices all the time. it doesn't matter how powerful a platform is.
    If they could do it why would it be pointless to do it im curious?
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    To be honest, its probably a bloody cheap way of doing anti-ailising.
    what do you mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by hood View Post
    because having that much polys isn't going to make a visual difference. what they ended up doing made a lot more visual changes in a positive way.

Elite Member
    what do you mean?

because having that much polys isn't going to make a visual difference. what they ended up doing made a lot more visual changes in a positive way.
    You know that twitter post says they lowered the poly count in favor of other bonuses so how is it possible that they could have done it with the 150k poly count. Now as I was saying if it were possible to achieve all of this with the 150k count why would the go down to 85k.

Short answer they couldn't

Forum Overseer
    You know that twitter post says they lowered the poly count in favor of other bonuses so how is it possible that they could have done it with the 150k poly count. Now as I was saying if it were possible to achieve all of this with the 150k count why would the go down to 85k.

Short answer they couldn't
    right and there's nothing wrong with that. they were just stupid enough to boast that part. it doesn't matter how powerful a platform is, sometimes you have to tone down on certain things, especially if they're not going to matter much.

had they not mentioned the polys to begin with, we would have never known about this change. just like we don't know of many other things developers change during the development.

Elite Member
    right and there's nothing wrong with that. they were just stupid enough to boast that part. it doesn't matter how powerful a platform is, sometimes you have to tone down on certain things, especially if they're not going to matter much.

had they not mentioned the polys to begin with, we would have never known about this change. just like we don't know of many other things developers change during the development.

well as I said and others have said its a downgrade whats the point of arguring it.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    what do you mean?
    The upscaling produces slight blurring (like a stretched low res image) and that hides the jaggies like AA does (atleast thats how the logic works in my head)

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    The upscaling produces slight blurring (like a stretched low res image) and that hides that jaggies like AA does
    oh right, i figured that's what he meant but wasn't sure. But that's probably not a good way to do that lol. AA is more complicated than just blurring.

well as I said and others have said its a downgrade whats the point of arguring it.
    how is it a downgrade to you when you can't tell the difference. with resolution, you can tell depending on how close you are and how big is your TV. with polys, after a certain point, you can't tell. think of it like the MPs of a camera. after 2MP, it's overkill and yet people think 16MP is better than 8MP, it's actually the camera lens that matters.

you can't tell the difference between 2MP and 4MP if you're looking at it from a 1080p TV. 2MP is 1080p.

think of this like they went from 4MP to 2MP...you won't know the difference, it's not detectable by your eyes.

in fact, they used those resources to make the game look better, look at the picture in the previous pages. there's a visual upgrade.

I'm not trying to argue but you have to know all the details and then you can argue about things that have the room for it.

EDIT: Now had they just lowered the poly and done nothing else to the visual clarity and details then i'd totally agree with you.
    Last edited by Omar; 09-30-2013 at 06:20.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    oh right, i figured that's what he meant but wasn't sure. But that's probably not a good way to do that lol. AA is more complicated than just blurring.
    True but all the current games use post process AA (FXAA) which is basically a glorified blur filter and that's why the PC elitists hate it. I love cheap AA methods since the blur is so little its virtually unnoticeable from afar

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    The upscaling produces slight blurring (like a stretched low res image) and that hides the jaggies like AA does (atleast thats how the logic works in my head)
    Correct.

Not really, its all about smoothing by averaging huge color variations.

Forum Overseer
    True but all the current games use post process AA (FXAA) which is basically a glorified blur filter and that's why the PC elitists hate it. I love cheap AA methods since the blur is so little its virtually unnoticeable from afar
    yea i've heard of FXAA being a cheap AA and I can see why. i actually don't like AA. it always seems like the games get too blurry. I keep AA off from BF3.
    Correct.

Not really, its all about smoothing by averaging huge color variations.
    i don't know what that means. all i know is that AA has to work only around the edges, not the entire screen...as normal blurring would do.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    yea i've heard of FXAA being a cheap AA and I can see why. i actually don't like AA. it always seems like the games get too blurry. I keep AA off from BF3.
    i don't know what that means. all i know is that AA has to work only around the edges, not the entire screen...as normal blurring would do.
    I said it was cheap, I didn't say it was perfect
    But no, AA doesn't just work on geometry "edges", there are plenty of examples where you need aa on non-edges.
    Eg, the road lines on road, all one texture, no edges. What your seeing is...

color variation, white on grey.

Last edited by mynd; 09-30-2013 at 06:41.

Elite Member

how is it a downgrade to you when you can't tell the difference.
    Its a downgrade because lowering the poly count made the game look better you can tell the difference because the game looks better with less polygons.

Edit: You just sat here and agreed with me that they couldnt do it with 150k polycounts what is it that you are having a hard time understanding.
    Last edited by hood; 09-30-2013 at 07:48.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Because you can use the poly count somewhere else, better background, more foliage.
    Anyone suggesting they couldn't push 150k in one character?, there is a hell of a lot more than that on the screen.

Elite Member
    Because you can use the poly count somewhere else, better background, more foliage.
    Anyone suggesting they couldn't push 150k in one character?, there is a hell of a lot more than that on the screen.
    The developer has obviously suggested it in their twitter post if youve been reading along. So obvioulsy they toned it down to take care of the other things on screen which they needed to do because the environments in Ryse were extremely blurred in the arena demo and only in points of interest it was highly detailed.

For example
    http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/new...-gamescom.html

but im sure there are more detailed pictures but i just grabbed this link in a rush.
    Last edited by hood; 09-30-2013 at 08:09.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style

Bad News Biscuits: Ryse polycount downgrade? (or is it? dun dun duuun)

The developer has obviously suggested it in their twitter post if youve been reading along. So obvioulsy they toned it down to take care of the other things on screen which they needed to do because the environments in Ryse were extremely blurred in the arena demo and only in points of interest it was highly detailed.

For example
    http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/new...-gamescom.html

but im sure there are more detailed pictures but i just grabbed this link in a rush.
    Ate you referring to "stable". Thats to do with LODs popping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    It probably has more to do with the design of the game than the console's ability. We are still getting 30FPS games on both consoles next gen just like this gen, so i guess they both cheaped out. How many games this gen run at 900P?
    This is all anyone needs to know:
    720p = 921,600 pixels
    900p = 1,440,000 pixels
    1080p = 2,073,600 pixels
    Unless you need your glasses adjusted or have a small tv you'll easily notice the difference.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    This is all anyone needs to know:
    720p = 921,600 pixels
    900p = 1,440,000 pixels
    1080p = 2,073,600 pixels
    Unless you need your glasses adjusted or have a small tv you'll easily notice the difference.
    Pixels blah blah. TV size and sitting distance is a huge factor. It isn't just about the number of pixels.

Forum Overseer
    but you're talking about those casuals that play from their couch. i sit about 4-5 feet max. i can tell between sub-HD and 720p, and i'm thinking i might be able to tell between 900p and 1080p because it's in the middle of 720p and 1080p. but we'll see.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    but you're talking about those casuals that play from their couch. i sit about 4-5 feet max. i can tell between sub-HD and 720p, and i'm thinking i might be able to tell between 900p and 1080p because it's in the middle of 720p and 1080p. but we'll see.
    What size tv are you sitting that close too?

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    For me 60" and between 4 and 10 ft depending on seat. For me it's very obvious SD vs 720p. 720 vs 1080 less so but still obvious once you've seen enough content in the formats. This doesn't show 900p but obviously it's between 720 and 1080.

Last edited by Typical guy; 09-30-2013 at 14:47.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    46". I would do the same if it were 70.

Elite Member
    Ate you referring to "stable". Thats to do with LODs popping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Why is it so hard to understand that if they couldn't achieve everything they wanted to do with 150k poly so they took it down to 85k so that the game would look and play better overall is a downgrade. Why is this even being debated it says it right in the twitter post.

Edit: Now is this bad news no, does it mean the game is worse no. It just means they had to take a step back and prioritize.
    Last edited by hood; 09-30-2013 at 15:48.

Thread Information