Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Killzone: Shadow Fall: multi runs at 60 fps ďa lot of the timeĒ; single-player 30 fps

Upcoming PlayStation 4 exclusive Killzone: Shadow Fall takes an interesting approach to frame rate: its single-player campaign runs at a steady 30 frames per second and outputs at a native resolution[not up-scaled] of 1080p. Multiplayer, however, is different.

Multiplayer also outputs at 1080p native, but the official line from developer Guerrilla Games is that it runs at 60 frames per second "a lot of the time" - that is, in certain situations, when there's a lot happening on screen, it drops below the 60 fps benchmark.

The Dutch developer made the revelation during a developer session at Eurogamer Expo today (you can watch it below). Afterwards, in a follow-up interview with Eurogamer, lead designer Eric Boltjes explained why.

"The reason for that is tricky," he said, in reference to the multiplayer not always running at 60 fps.

"Running 60 has become this Holy Grail. Suddenly people think if you run 60 your game is better. Technically, that's not really true. But what it does do is it makes decisions go from input to on-screen a lot easier.

"So, having a constant 60 is not actually better than having a 'lot of the time' 60. It sounds weird, but it's actually true. Because usually in the moments where we're going to drop framerate, either you're already dead or it's too late anyway."

Boltjes said Guerrilla decided to push the visual detail in Killzone, and accepted taking a hit in framerate as a result.

"I think our game, graphically, especially multiplayer, looks a lot more detailed and vibrant than a lot of the other games we are in direct competition with.

"We didn't want to make any graphical concessions. We didn't want to say, we can run at 60 constantly if we just half the resolution and take out all the destructibility and remove all the glass, for example. We didn't want to do that. We wanted to keep it really pretty and try to make it 60.

"It's just we can't go out and say we're always 60, because that's lying. We're very close. And I challenge anybody to notice, without Digital Foundry looking at it, that there are large drops."

Unlike multiplayer, Killzone: Shadow Fall's single-player campaign runs at 30 fps.

"The reason for that is graphically single-player is even a step above multiplayer," Boltjes explained. "There's even more destructibility.

"We analysed what 60 brings. 60 in multiplayer is really important because your reaction time is a lot shorter. In single-player it's actually a lot longer. It's not because our AI is stupid, but because you simply have more time to react. We said we don't need 60, and we want the graphical push."
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ot-of-the-time

I have no problems with this direction. I can't wait to see what the single player looks like considering that that mp looks freaking amazing. And they're doing it at native 1080p. No short cuts needed

2. Likes Demi_God , KungMartin90 , mistercrow likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    after watching EGX Killzone event im impressed by what they wanna do.
    sadly there is no operations zones in SF, but custom warzones are great, also server-side updates thats awesome!!!

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    In my experience frame rate drops can often be a reason why you died or mistimed something.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireSol View Post
    after watching EGX Killzone event im impressed by what they wanna do.
    sadly there is no operations zones in SF, but custom warzones are great, also server-side updates thats awesome!!!
    At some point he said "No Operations Day 1 "
    They will add it to the season pass imo
    PSN = GgT-Wolves-FC

Dedicated Member
    This is not good if they themselves are saying they cant have a locked framerate in the multiplayer. If it drops below 60 and hovers between 30 and 60 , expect a good amount of screen tearing. I think they should have it fixed by launch and get it locked at 60 fps. I dont really see anything that demanding graphically which they cant lock at 60.
    Last edited by rene2kx; 09-27-2013 at 17:14.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    This is not good if they themselves are saying they cant have a locked framerate in the multiplayer. If it drops below 60 and hovers between 30 and 60 , expect a good amount of screen tearing. I think they should have it fixed by launch and get it locked at 60 fps. I dont really see anything that demanding graphically which they cant lock at 60.
    there is no games on consoles that have stable 60.
    also in the EGX presentation, they said that scenarios like "24 guys throwing grenades at the same time" is the 60fps killer.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireSol View Post
    there is no games on consoles that have stable 60.
    also in the EGX presentation, they said that scenarios like "24 guys throwing grenades at the same time" is the 60fps killer.
    huh?

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    huh?
    Basically, if it's good enough for COD then it'll be good enough for killzone(The mp).
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 09-27-2013 at 20:21.

Master Sage
    Anyone know if the multi-player can be bought separately from PSN?

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    So it's still just a 30fps game without a frame rate limiter. I'm disappointed to hear their rushing to meet the launch forfeited the time needed to optimize the game to lock it down at a solid 60fps. Console launches are always so chaotic for developers, even the first party.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    I'm still satisfied. Killzone SF looks $#@!ing amazing both visually and gameplay-wise.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    So it's still just a 30fps game without a frame rate limiter. I'm disappointed to hear their rushing to meet the launch forfeited the time needed to optimize the game to lock it down at a solid 60fps. Console launches are always so chaotic for developers, even the first party.
    no, its 30 in sp and 60 in mp

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post

Nice try but I would not expect less from you...

Will Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer have a variable frame rate?

No, we’re running 60fps. However, the game may drop a few frames in extreme situations – when there are a lot of GPU-intensive things going on at once. Guaranteeing a constant 60fps under such circumstances would’ve required undesired concessions.
    We wanted to make sure Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer would present a visual spectacle, boasting a stunning level of detail in 1080p at 60fps, while still allowing 24 players and their drones (effectively 48 entities) to take part at once. We’re very proud of the results – when you move through the maps you’ll notice lots of intricate details, from beautiful reflective surfaces to individually moving leaves on the foliage.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...ltiplayer-q-a/
    PSN = GgT-Wolves-FC

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Like in goldeneye when you passed through the smoke from a recent explosion.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by roy8846 View Post
    Nice try but I would not expect less from you...

Will Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer have a variable frame rate?

No, we’re running 60fps. However, the game may drop a few frames in extreme situations – when there are a lot of GPU-intensive things going on at once. Guaranteeing a constant 60fps under such circumstances would’ve required undesired concessions.
    We wanted to make sure Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer would present a visual spectacle, boasting a stunning level of detail in 1080p at 60fps, while still allowing 24 players and their drones (effectively 48 entities) to take part at once. We’re very proud of the results – when you move through the maps you’ll notice lots of intricate details, from beautiful reflective surfaces to individually moving leaves on the foliage.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...ltiplayer-q-a/
    That totally sold it for me <3

Thread Information