Latest PSU headlines:

Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Report - Ford CEO top candidate to replace Ballmer at Microsoft

http://www.gamespot.com//news/ford-c...eport-6415054?

Sources says Alan Mulally now a frontrunner to become Xbox maker's new chief executive officer.

Ford CEO Alan Mulally is a top candidate to replace outgoing Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer as the Xbox maker's top executive, The Wall Street Journal's AllThingsD reports.

Mulally denied that he was leaving the Detroit-based car company earlier this month, telling AllThingsD that, "I continue to be focused on serving Ford."

Sources with knowledge of the situation told the site that the 68-year-old Mulally was not warm to the idea of joining Microsoft at first, but has become more interested of late.

Mulally has been CEO of Ford for seven years. Prior to that, he served as CEO of Boeing Commercial Airlines in the Seattle area.

Shortly after Microsoft acquired Nokia for $7.2 billion, it was reported that CEO Stephen Elop would be a top contender for the Microsoft CEO job. However, sources told AllThingsD that there has been a "shift" in recent weeks away from Elop and towards Mulally.

Mulally and Microsoft have reportedly not yet entered "formal" contract negotiations, but discussions about the position are said to be "serious."

In August, Ballmer announced that he would retire in the next 12 months and will officially step down once his replacement is found.

Microsoft's board of directors has established a special committee to direct the selection process for Ballmer's successor. This committee is chaired by the board's lead independent director, John Thompson, as well as chairman of the board Bill Gates, among others.

The board is working with executive recruiting firm Heidrick & Struggles International Inc., and will consider both internal and external candidates, Microsoft said.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Christ this guy has no background in software developement bad choice. I was hoping they could pluck Oracle Ceo away from them.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    Christ this guy has no background in software developement bad choice. I was hoping they could pluck Oracle Ceo away from them.
    Agreed. Talk about the disconnect that is going to be there.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Supreme Veteran

He could engineer success at the company

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Agreed. Why put somebody in there who has absolutely no background?

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I've been feeling this way for a long time now...

I'm actually confused by MS decisions as of late.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 09-27-2013 at 20:02.

7. Likes MonkeyClaw wishes they had posted this first.
    Extreme Poster
    we need gifs.

9. Likes MonkeyClaw wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    MS smart car incoming.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    MS smart car incoming.
    2015 model cars they will remove the gas pedals and won't put them back until enough people ***** about it, then they will re-release the car as a 2015.1 model so you'll have to buy the car all over again if you want a gas pedal.

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

12. Likes Two4DaMoney wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Elite
    Ford Focus "Better With Kinect"

Superior Member
    Items User name style
    He could be a brilliant strategist. Or he could be the beginning of the end.

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Being CEO is about being good at managing all those below. That is the only requirement needed. I don't ever remember Ballmer being a C++ wizard, and yet he commanded directors, consultants, and supervisors of whom were computer wizards who of whom directed and commanded their forces of programmers to build Windows. It's all about hierarchy, and I can tell you that the vice president of operations of Burger King doesn't need to ever know how to flip a burger for a low-ranked employee to be able to do the specialized job he knows and cook you that whopper of a whopper.
    Last edited by Foraeli; 09-28-2013 at 02:56.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    Being CEO is about being good at managing all those below. That is the only requirement needed. I don't ever remember Ballmer being a C++ wizard, and yet he commanded directors, consultants, and supervisors of whom were computer wizards who of whom directed and commanded their forces of programmers to build Windows. It's all about hierarchy, and I can tell you that the vice president of operations for Burger King doesn't need to ever know how to flip a burger for a low-ranked employee to do the job he knows and cook you that whopper of a whopper.
    good point. the problem is that if you listen to his reasonings and what he thought about his competitors, you would soon realize that he was living in lala land. he thought tablets were not the future and that desktop were still relevant. this is probably part of the reason why they're fir...errrm retiring him from MS.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    good point. the problem is that if you listen to his reasonings and what he thought about his competitors, you would soon realize that he was living in lala land. he thought tablets were not the future and that desktop were still relevant. this is probably part of the reason why they're fir...errrm retiring him from MS.
    There is nothing really wrong with thinking such. I for one also agree with $600 tablets will not replace the cheap desktop PC. I'm pretty sure people once said laptops were the future, and while they are indeed part of that future, desktop is and has always been the dominant platform. And I'm sure they are those who say mobile gaming and other portable gaming devices are killing home consoles, but look where we are now with this next generation being the biggest console launch event ever. It's just opinion at this point as to what the future truly holds.

Whatever might come of this new man in charge, I believe it can at least save Windows 8 from further disaster. Forcing desktops to act like tablets is going to kill desktop PC sales in the long run. People are already getting discouraged to buy due to the fact that no one wants Windows 8 on their PCs and non-touch laptops, and a lot of PC distributors are forcibly putting Windows 8 on all the new machines sold.
    Last edited by Foraeli; 09-28-2013 at 03:25.

Extreme Poster
    There is nothing really wrong with thinking such. I for one also agree with $600 tablets will not replace the cheap desktop PC.
    tablets are pretty cheap nowadays. you don't need to spend $600 to get a decent tablet. especially the linux ones that don't have to work with a bloated OS.
    I'm pretty sure people once said laptops were the future, and while they are indeed part of that future, desktop is and has always been the dominant platform. And I'm sure they are those who say mobile gaming and other portable gaming devices are killing home consoles, but look where we are now with this next generation being the biggest console launch event ever. It's just opinion at this point as to what the future truly holds.

Whatever might come of this new man in charge, I believe it can at least save Windows 8 from further disaster. Forcing desktops to act like tablets is going to kill desktop PC sales.
    no...i didn't just mean tablets, the discussion was that people aren't on desktops anymore, they're on other sort of devices such as tablets, phones, laptops etc...and he said that PCs (desktops) were still relevant. now if you look at how much non-PCs have boomed, you realize how deluded he was to think this way...just a couple or so years ago. not even saying 10 years ago when we didn't know much.

people are moving onto mobile computers, desktop will always be there but it's not going to get bigger than it is.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    tablets are pretty cheap nowadays. you don't need to spend $600 to get a decent tablet. especially the linux ones that don't have to work with a bloated OS.
    no...i didn't just mean tablets, the discussion was that people aren't on desktops anymore, they're on other sort of devices such as tablets, phones, laptops etc...and he said that PCs (desktops) were still relevant. now if you look at how much non-PCs have boomed, you realize how deluded he was to think this way...just a couple or so years ago. not even saying 10 years ago when we didn't know much.

people are moving onto mobile computers, desktop will always be there but it's not going to get bigger than it is.
    Here's the thing tho. That's still just your opinion on the subject. You can't state that as a fact.

Extreme Poster
    Here's the thing tho. That's still just your opinion on the subject. You can't state that as a fact.
    look at the graph: http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24129713

don't think they're even counting smart phones.
    Last edited by Sufi; 09-28-2013 at 06:34.

PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Larry Ellison? No way that would ever happen.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    look at the graph: http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24129713

don't think they're even counting smart phones.
    All that graph shows is that a new market that is finally getting to take off, and notice how the graph only discusses the difference between 2012 and 2013. This was pretty much a direct result of Microsoft's own disaster of Windows 8 for desktop PCs. As far as smartphones, phones have always been cheaper and always outnumbered PCs even back when the Motorola Razor was released; it just so happens that modern phones are now these smartphones, and that is all that has changed. The desktop PC's relevance is definitely more than up for debate, but I think that may be for another time. All in all, I am in high hopes Ballmer's replacement can fix Windows 8 and save the PC market.

Forum Guru
    Microsoft's own version of John Sculley.

24. Likes Christopher wishes they had posted this first.
    Dedicated Member

He's leaving Ford because he didn't like losing 30% of his pay after his leadership resulted in Ford only meeting 75% of it's performance targets. Quality dropped across almost their entire product line under his leadership.

His failures at Ford resulted in him losing $5.5 million in pay bonuses this year alone. Ford is probably happy to be rid of him. Why Microsoft hired him............... well, he's probably the cheapest option they found.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    He's leaving Ford because he didn't like losing 30% of his pay after his leadership resulted in Ford only meeting 75% of it's performance targets. Quality dropped across almost their entire product line under his leadership.

His failures at Ford resulted in him losing $5.5 million in pay bonuses this year alone. Ford is probably happy to be rid of him. Why Microsoft hired him............... well, he's probably the cheapest option they found.
    They haven't hired him yet. He's the leading candidate.

PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanehead View Post
    Microsoft's own version of John Sculley.
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    They haven't hired him yet. He's the leading candidate.
    The leading candidate is a failure. That doesn't bode well for the future of Microsoft.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    The leading candidate is a failure. That doesn't bode well for the future of Microsoft.
    The future didn't bode well with Balmer at the helm IMO. So guess they are spinning their wheels. I honestly don't know anything about this guy. But honestly, a vehicle company CEO taking over for a tech/software company just doesn't sound right to me.

Thread Information