Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    So does this mean that since I'm much better at consoles, I won't suck as bad with PC because of this?! Count me in. Looks wonky but I'm definitely willing to give it a shot.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    Digital only is a dealbreaker for most of console gamers, they don't even accept it on PS-Xbox, and my guess is that Steam wants to appeal to those people, so....
    Console DD doesn't even compare to Steam prices, I doubt it. DD is also more secure on the PC.

However, I'm skeptical that it's going to be that successful, but not because of those 2 reasons.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS

An Expert's Analysis of the New Steam Controller

Courtesy of Dorkly. lol

~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

4. Likes PS4freak , BBK.. likes this post
    Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    Why? Just because it doesn't look like a conventional controller? Because it's not pretty?

I choose function over form any day of the week. If it works like they say it will, don't be surprised if other companies start to develop new controllers based on their ideas.

On digital distribution. Don't think the Steambox will have a drive. Doesn't need one. Steam is already a fully fledged DD service. Even if you buy a disc based steam game, you only need the code, not the disc.

Obligatory Tapatalk Signature
    You can have both form and function. I need controllers with buttons. Why would I want to learn to use a new controller just to keep playing games? There's nothing wrong with what we have now.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Snake View Post
    You can have both form and function. I need controllers with buttons. Why would I want to learn to use a new controller just to keep playing games? There's nothing wrong with what we have now.
    It does have buttons. It tries to address the concerns of some PC gamers, as it is supposedly a lot more precise, but that remains to be seen. You can still use normal controllers.

E: http://kotaku.com/valves-controller-...pre-1415579308

Here are some impressions from developers, seems promising.
    Last edited by Naxi; 09-28-2013 at 10:48.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    I referenced XY so it should of been obvious I was on about the face buttons. I dont see how those two can be comfortably pressed, without taking your thumbs off the "movement" pad. It just seems like bad placement to me.
    I know but its the same on a PS3 or Xbox, you can't press the same 4 buttons without taking you thumbs completely off the stick.

Its an ambidextrous design.

This controller seems to utilise all your fingers and your thumbs unlike a dualshock/xbox controller which is thumbs + index+middle finger with the ring & pinky finger underneath doing nothing.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-28-2013 at 11:31.

Forum Sage
    I quite like the look of it actually. Depending on price I might pick one up. If it feels like they say it will. Pads aren't accurate enough so they need a change.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    If it allows me to play AoE3 on my sofa with this controller I'd buy one. lol
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Kingstoph
    Items DoomVita
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Yeah...I had a touch pad controller once...once...

Shhhh! Dont forget how modern invocation works! you just redesign someone elses work and claim you thought of it yourself! Just look at the iPad and the Wii lol, then pretend you never noticed like everyone else!

The King has Returned

Elite Guru
    I agree you can have form and function but this is an input device. I won't be looking at it, I'll be looking at the screen I'm playing on. For that reason, as long as it does the job well, I'm not too worried about how it looks. Certainly not enough to think that someone should be fired over it.

The great thing about this, is it's optional. Not mandatory. So if you don't want to 'learn' how to use it, you don't have to. Also, nothing ever got better by saying 'nothing wrong with what we have now'.

PSU Technical Advisor
    As mentioned, this is a response to a problem with PC games: not everyone wants to use keyboard\mouse for racers, platformers and FPS titles. However, PC gamers are elitists and refuse to make concessions to gamepad users.. And many developers don't bother with proper support for this and other reasons.

So, Valve needed a way to make the gamepad much more precise in order to even the playing field for everyone. It will now be, according to Valve and from what I've seen\read, much much easier to play PC versions of games like Battlefield and COD with this pad. Why? Because its haptic touch pad will be far and away more precise then a joystick.

Hopefully, gamepad users will no longer require aim assist to be competitive- and thus be left out in the cold in PC gaming.

This is absolutely critical.

I have spent the past few years looking for a solution like this. I even have the PS Move nav controller using Motion Joy for my left hand (joystick\buttons) while using a mouse on my right.. Just to try and 'adapt' to PC shooters.

This is a very big deal to some of us.

Further, no one is pointing a gun at anyone's head to use this. Don't like it? Use kb\mouse or try and get by with a traditional gamepad.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    It looks completely ridiculous. Dual track-pads instead of analog sticks? lol. Face buttons all over the place, what a mess.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    I agree you can have form and function but this is an input device. I won't be looking at it, I'll be looking at the screen I'm playing on. For that reason, as long as it does the job well, I'm not too worried about how it looks. Certainly not enough to think that someone should be fired over it.

The great thing about this, is it's optional. Not mandatory. So if you don't want to 'learn' how to use it, you don't have to. Also, nothing ever got better by saying 'nothing wrong with what we have now'.
    I don't look at the controllers I use either. Doesn't make it less horrible looking to me. I messed around with touch like controls before and the lack of buttons make it hard to get anything done. Fumbling around and hoping I get it right doesn't seem very appealing to me.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    I just hope PC games get DS4 support, that controller is totally boss.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    I just hope PC games get DS4 support, that controller is totally boss.
    I think resogun dev confirmed that the DS4 had native PC support

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    That is ugly.
    This.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Sorry but that controller is just stupid.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    To be honest the gamepad market is starting to annoy me, it's so stale and has been since around 2001 when the last true experimenting I saw was from Saitek with their P-series (which was amazing btw), but then their last P-series ended up looking like a PS2 controller. The Saitek P2000 was so far ahead of its time but unfortunately they decided that people would rather do away with its features and just stick to the tried and tested formula of the PS1 controller. *sighs*

It's about time there's a new reinvigoration on the gamepad market and it looks like Valve are going to be the first ones to do it.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I was gonna post your same post here Dj.

Elite Member
    I think valve should ditch the console and just release the controller i dont see any reason to buy the steam console. The controller really just bridges the gap Sony tried to fill with the DS4. Those extra buttons needed for MMORPGS and RTS games that meant having a keyboard on your lap while u relax on the couch or only using your gamepad for FPS games. With this controller you can just plug your PC into your tv and change the source to PC and fire up a FPS MMORPG or RTS playing either with the one controller comfortably.
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    That just looks retarded, it better feel and play nice...

Thread Information