Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Perhaps a certain platform holder decided a "truckload" of cash needed dispensing.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    This was already posted.. in English.. I found it lol

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...ox-One-Drivers
    Thanks F3AR, I don't get why would Leifein quote an article in french without even a google translate version, it's not like this is a French language based forum.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    Perhaps a certain platform holder decided a "truckload" of cash needed dispensing.
    Yes, that's what happened, they conducted the transaction behind the grassy knoll, just down from the fake moon landing set. Elvis presided over the proceedings.

4. Likes Nerevar likes this post
    Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    i don't think developers would go out of their way to do this.
    It not up to them to decide, if u work for a company/publisher u do as they say...cause they the one paying u the $$$. Good thing Sony counter it with self publishing on the PS4 for indies dev.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by reasonable_doubt View Post
    It not up to them to decide, if u work for a company/publisher u do as they say...cause they the one paying u the $$$.
    that would mean that MS would have to pay millions of dollars in opportunity cost. that'd be a dumb idea.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Yes, that's what happened, they conducted the transaction behind the grassy knoll, just down from the fake moon landing set. Elvis presided over the proceedings.
    Crazier things have happened!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    i don't think developers would go out of their way to do this.
    with the architecture now, they have no reason to give us $#@!ty ports anymore.
    sufi, i could kiss you right now for this, i could not have said it any better

9. Likes Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by JDizzleNO1 View Post
    sufi, i could kiss you right now for this, i could not have said it any better
    alright, don't worry, my wife's out of town.

11. Likes JDizzleNO1 likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    alright, don't worry, my wife's out of town.
    oh i have morals never mind

13. Likes Omar likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Personally I would hope developers try to focus on higher frame rates than screen resolution. It is astounding how much developers can get away with once they hit that golden standard.

COD in the previous generations where exceptionally bland visual wise but because it moved so smoothly we didn't really notice even when they had slashed the screen resolution to shreds. Personally one of the best games visual last generation was Mario Galaxy on the Wii because of this issue!

Dedicated Member
    There is of course the conspiracy theories one could run with :P.

I'm thinking more along the lines, because both consoles are going to be launched at the same time and there are only going to be say...3 million maybe a bit more next gen consoles, developers don't want to severely limit their sales at this time. If the reviews started coming out of there, with the games being noticeably different, people that are swayed by those differences will go for the higher performer. But at such an early stage, 3rd party need to sell as much as they can and build a good base for the systems.

Later own if one console pulls out in a decent way compared to another, I think devs will be less afraid of having disparities between versions.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar View Post
    There is of course the conspiracy theories one could run with :P. I'm thinking more along the lines, because both consoles are going to be launched at the same time and there are only going to be say...3 million maybe a bit more next gen consoles, developers don't want to severely limit their sales at this time. If the reviews started coming out of there, with the games being noticeably different, people that are swayed by those differences will go for the higher performer. But at such an early stage, 3rd party need to sell as much as they can and build a good base for the systems. Later own if one console pulls out in a decent way compared to another, I think devs will be less afraid of having disparities between versions.
    I agree. We saw something like that in the PS2/Xbox days where most multiplats didnt even take advantage of Xbox being more powerful and made them look on par. And Hot Pursuit actually looked better on PS2. lol Different development teams for each version but with the power gap Xbox version still should have looked better not worse. But PS2 was dominating in sales so developers didnt care.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    No I am saying its bull$#@! that the PS4 version would have to have its res lowered.
    We had plenty of games last gen that where lower res on the Ps3.
    Why would all of a sudden that change?
    Why would all of a sudden games have to have resolution matches?

It's bull$#@!. Created by scare mongers to stir.
    Or just to drive up hits.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    I agree. We saw something like that in the PS2/Xbox days where most multiplats didnt even take advantage of Xbox being more powerful and made them look on par. And Hot Pursuit actually looked better on PS2. lol Different development teams for each version but with the power gap Xbox version still should have looked better not worse. But PS2 was dominating in sales so developers didnt care.
    Most developers on the Xbox version where usually very small teams, they where more interested in merely getting the titles out the door rather than take advantage of the hardware. This is what happened with Call of Duty on Wii U last year, identical technology set to the 360 version even though it could have been optimised better provided enough time and money to make it happen.

Games like Burnout where identical for the most part across platforms simply because they didn't have the time/resources to add new stuff for the smaller platform.

This isn't such a big issue this coming generation. Assets will be identical due to near identical memory volumes and the difference will be minor that favour either machines strengths.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    I still think we'll see a difference. They'd have to go out of their way to gimp the ps4 version due to there actually being a bigger power difference next gen than there is current gen.
    No they wouldn't. They would have to go out of their way to make the PS4 version look better. It would be far easier and cheaper to pick a single target and make both consoles hit that target regardless of power differences between them. They target the Xbox One and then simply lock the frame rate on the PS4 to either 30 or 60 FPS, depending on what the Xbox One is doing.

I expected this approach all along. It's a simple financial decision. How much extra money do you want to spend coding for a single platform and is that extra money spent going to result in increased sales? Unless you are assured that making the PS4 version look better will result in significantly better sales than making it look the same there is no point is spending more money to improve it.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    No they wouldn't. They would have to go out of their way to make the PS4 version look better. It would be far easier and cheaper to pick a single target and make both consoles hit that target regardless of power differences between them. They target the Xbox One and then simply lock the frame rate on the PS4 to either 30 or 60 FPS, depending on what the Xbox One is doing.

I expected this approach all along. It's a simple financial decision. How much extra money do you want to spend coding for a single platform and is that extra money spent going to result in increased sales? Unless you are assured that making the PS4 version look better will result in significantly better sales than making it look the same there is no point is spending more money to improve it.
    Shooters like BF4 will scale down, so they don't have to worry about that.

Dedicated Member

Shooters like BF4 will scale down, so they don't have to worry about that.
    By "scale down" you do of course mean they will scale UP.

They aren't going to make lower res models and lower res textures and create lower res environments for the Xbox One. That would be wasteful to the point of being deliberately stupid. They can increase frame rates if their minimum frame rates are high enough, resolution, AF levels, AA levels but that is scaling UP post rendering features to the hardware, not scaling down game assets. Thats little more than changing a drop down menu selection. Something that takes a few seconds on a PC.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 09-29-2013 at 01:30.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    By "scale down" you do of course mean they will scale UP.

They aren't going to make lower res models and lower res textures and create lower res environments for the Xbox One. That would be wasteful to the point of being deliberately stupid. They can increase frame rates, resolution, AF levels, AA levels, more accurate shaders for higher powered machines, but that is scaling UP post rendering features to the hardware, not scaling down game assets. Thats little more than changing a drop down menu selection. Something that takes a few seconds on a PC.
    that's not what i meant. i mean that they can scale down on certain details/objects, post-processing effects to get better frame rates on the respective consoles.

of course, it's an up scale at the foundation because it's a cross-gen title but it is easier to down scale than up scale. you only make it for the lowest common denominator if it's the most difficult as well. technically PS3 was the lowest common denominator in multiplats and it made sense for them to make it for the PS3 first and then make it work on the 360 and PC. Otherwise the PS3 version was not going to perform well.

this generation, pretty much all platforms are about the same...that makes games like BF4 easier to tweak for each console. there's no reason to go with the lowest common denominator.

Thread Information