Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83

Beyond 2 Souls is coming, anyone else excited?

10/08/13 is getting close and Beyond is looking like another "The Last of Us" type of experience that I'm really looking forward to. Even more so than I was for GTA V. Although I love GTA and V is the best by far and am still enjoying it, but there's something about Beyond that just catches my eye and I've been hooked ever since it's reveal. I'm just a little worried about the controls holding the progression back. I loved Heavy Rain, but the move controls really bugged me and I didn't enjoy them at all. Other than that everything David Cage has done has been unique and engaging in different ways that bring something new to gaming that has never been done before, and I really respect that because it's far and few between when it comes to developers taking chances and doing something different in a AAA games.
    I'm practically drooling waiting to hear the reveal of Quantic Dreams new PS4 title that's been in development for a year now. Knowing how they love to reveal these games a year and a half or more before there release we should be hearing about it shortly. But it's awhile away for sure, so who knows?
    Anyways, are any of you guys and gals excited to finally play Beyond 2 Souls after all this time waiting?
    Honestly I wish they wouldn't wait so long before revealing games to us. This title along with Watch Dogs have been teased in front of us for so long that by the time we finally get our hands on it were almost over the game already.
    Of course that's an exaggeration, but there is a small part of me that gets disappointed in a small way.
    Anyone else feel this way?

Indoril Nerevar
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    No. The last two titles from Quantum Dream were not good games. Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit) was absolute garbage, and Heavy Rain contained a lackluster gameplay narrative which has to lie to the player because the writers were too unintelligent to make a proper story.
    Last edited by Rapture; 09-29-2013 at 22:20.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Got my copy preordered.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Extreme Poster
    i'm a bit excited because it's the right time. we don't have much else. the graphics and voice overs seem pretty decent so we'll see. i'm fairly sure it will sell around 3.5m -+

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Gonna get this game at new year sale, if I don't have a ps4. Last two games of QD was awesome, hope Sony keep these guys close.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    No. The graphics look great and the story seems interesting but the gameplay doesn't look very fun.
    Last edited by Black; 09-29-2013 at 22:00.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Waiting for my steel case and extra 30 min of gameplay

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    The demo made me more interested in the game than before, even though I've had the game preordered since E3.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Apprentice
    I am keeping a close eye on this, but Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy certainly had their flaws. I love how Quantum Dream tries to do things differently, and creates story driven games. Thus far I think they have been successful in creating engaging and emotional stories; but the gameplay side of the ledger seems to be nowhere near the same quality.

For example: I remember being hooked up Indigo Prophecy when I borrowed it off my ex girlfriend at first; the opening where you're in a diner's bathroom after just being possessed and forced into a ritual killing or something was gripping and emotional. It absolutely had me hooked, and I was ***tting bricks when the cop entered the diner.

It didn't take a whole lot of time before poor gameplay and other factors cruelly threw me off the hook though. The last thing I remember playing in that game, was some kind of boxing/sparring training you were forced to complete through a sequence of QTE. This little scene added nothing to the story, and was certainly not fun. This was the point at which I got over the game.

I am definitely concerned with something similar happening in Beyond: 2 Souls; but I am also hopeful that it works out alright this time. I will be waiting to read plenty of feedback and reviews before buying it though.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    GTA is taking up too much of my time right now so I'll probably have to get this down the road.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    No. The last two titles from Quantum Dream were not good games. Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit) was absolute garbage, and Heavy Rain contained a lackluster gameplay narrative which has to lie to the player because the writers were too unintelligent to make a proper story.
    You might just be not into those kind of games. because both were excellent games.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

12. Likes TEST SUBJECT 83 likes this post
    Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    I wont get it day 1 due to too much to play as it is, but i will get it sometime. looks great

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

Superior Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    I definitely want to play this some point. From the trailers i've seen this game looks good and I enjoyed Heavy Rain.

Indoril Nerevar
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    You might just be not into those kind of games. because both were excellent games.
    You must have forgotten the bull**** storyline of Indigo Prophecy and the lying narrative of Heavy Rain. Both games tried telling a compelling story with their individual engrossing gameplay systems, and both failed. Neither of these games were excellent at all.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    After playing the demo, not excited. Ecstatic. Preordering it today, for the extra gameplay, of course, but honestly: mostly for the steelbook. I'm a sucker for steelbook cases. For Rapture, your taste is your taste and I won't argue you shouldn't have your taste, but fiction lies. That's why they call them stories. (That's a line also used for an old saw about journalism, which is supposed to be factual, but that's a whole other, well, story.)

I hate GTA V. I knew I would but I had to give it the old Harvard try. It's a masterpiece of art and technical direction, an astounding feat in gameplay design, but the narrative makes James Patterson novels -- the ones other people write and Patterson slaps his name on -- seem like Proust.

Forum Guru
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Have it pre ordered, just about to try the demo

Home Theater Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    the lying narrative of Heavy Rain
    Mind elaborating?

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    I think, though of course I don't know, by "lying narrative" he or she means "plot holes." Of which there were a few. Of which there are always a few in a fictional narrative. I've never written for interactive drama but I'd think the potential for plot holes is higher in that medium than any other medium. Every time the player branches you have to deal with it in a believable way and sometimes you just can't make it very believable. Reading a novel or watching a film, for examples, you can skip ahead or back or ignore whole passages altogether, but you can't branch.

PSU Live Streamer
    Excited? no. But I'll pick it up at some point.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    You must have forgotten the bull**** storyline of Indigo Prophecy and the lying narrative of Heavy Rain. Both games tried telling a compelling story with their individual engrossing gameplay systems, and both failed. Neither of these games were excellent at all.
    You mean the unreliable narrator technique?

I agree that Cage isn't a good writer, but Heavy Rain has its moments of brilliance. At least Beyond Two Souls has better actors, and the previous games were engaging enough for me to want it.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Maybe not so much Cage isn't good but that Cafe is French. French drama is, well, different. Most of the French films people in the UK and US are really hyped about are French interpretations of stock Hollywood genres. But from the demo, if Cage is writing Beyond as a Hollywood action thriller with a paranormal twist, he's doing it well. Though that's only the demo. Half an hour isn't a game any more than five minutes is a movie. Whatever, it's still hooked my US$60.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Hell yeah. Not day one though.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Indoril Nerevar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    Mind elaborating?

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    I'd have to replay with a more critical to make sure it's completely not possible per story elements that the [spoiler you mentioned above], so I'll take your word for it. But these things, these dupes that leave gaping plot holes, happen all the time. And not just in JJ Abrams TV series. They are valid complaints but they don't make the whole experience, the whole novel, movie or game garbage. They can still be good narratives with seriously thin spots. I mean I liked The Sixth Sense but I figured it out the central conceit, the main point of watching the whole movie, two seconds into Bruce Willis' first scene. I figured out The Village in under a twenty minutes, too. I still enjoyed them, though, as entertainments. Even though the zingers just didn't work on me.

Anyway, I won't know until I get Beyond and finish Beyond, but it's not that I can tell a whodunnit. It's not a spiritual sequel to Heavy Rain. I don't think it'll turn out particularly zinger-dependent. So you might like it where Heavy Rain failed for you. Try the demo, anyway. I was surprised how edge of my seat I got going from a closely guided experience.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 10-02-2013 at 22:11.

Forum Guru
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Well I thought the demo was awesome and definitely cemented my pre order

Thread Information