Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Battlefield could be a lot better.

I'm not here to talk about little changes here and there. Of course, those are need and of course I welcome all sorts of big changes as well...as long as they're good lol.

There are a lot of things the game can improve upon specifically for me but that's pointless because people have come to love and enjoy this series, especially since BF3, so I can't blame the developers for not making it exactly the way I want it to be. However, one problem that I feel DICE just can't seem to understand is how the game could be a lot better, without changing a single thing about the gameplay, if only they made some changes to the game modes.

Conquest Mode

While this is the best mode in the game (compare conquest rooms to rush and everything else and you'll see), it has several issues that really stops BF3 and presumably BF4 from being a much better game.

The biggest issue with this mode is that it's entirely done wrong and it's full of $#@! (<lol see what i did there?). It forces you to not play strategically. Instead, you're just rushing from one base to another? Why? Because if you don't, then you're going to lose tickets and if you're playing the official rooms, you're going to lose these tickets fast. In fact, whoever gets the bases first pretty much makes the chances of winning very high, given that they're not ding dongs.

You'd think that people actually cared about not getting shot and ultimately dying but due to the nature of this mode, I wouldn't care either.

Since the tickets are universal, if you're taking your sweet ass time, you're basically irrelevant in the field. Because the time is running out, people are trying to take the bases and tickets are running out.

Even if you do strategically get to a point where your team needs to be, your team might not take advantage of this and ultimately your strategy might be fruitless. So you're forced to play like your teammates or you're going to lose either way. There are times going solo can be helpful but more than not, it actually hurts because you should be with your teammates helping them, reviving them, giving them bullets, give them backup etc. because even if the strategy isn't good, lack of teamwork (meaning you going by yourself, safely) is not going to help either.

This is precisely why you will notice that on each and every map, out of the entire map, you will know exactly where the hot spots are...it doesn't matter that the map is a 1000km big, you know exactly where the fighting is going to be because the game ultimately isn't that well though-out. Even if you're a sniper or a support person, you do not gain anything (most of the time) by taking defensive locations and looking out for enemies. The sniper locations are almost always the same. There are only a few spots in any given map where you would see proper strategic snipers at. You don't have to time to plan things out, you have to go with the flow.

The modes themselves limit the game's potential almost entirely. You find yourself doing the same thing over and over and over again. Yes, you can find ways to have fun and trust me, I have...after playing it straight since BF3's launch, I can't help but notice all these issues and things that ultimately deter me from enjoying the game from a much deeper strategic level.

So what can they do?

They can do several things. First and foremost, they need more modes. Yes, they have about 10+ modes right now but most of them aren't really that good and barely anyone plays them anymore (surprise). Why they don't want to experiment when they have ultimately failed in creating good modes for this game? I have no idea. This has been my complaint from the 1st BF game since this generation. To me, this stops BF from becoming a game that is 10 folds better.

What they can do with Conquest is that they can keep the universal tickets but remove the tickets you retain/lose from capturing/losing bases. So why capture them or care about losing them anyway? Well, once you run out of tickets, whoever has the most bases, wins.

What this will do is prevent people from constantly trying to horde their way to the next checkpoint and actually use strategy...maybe even teamwork to do it. You only lose tickets if you die so this will AT LEAST help some people understand that dying isn't going to help.

Wishful thinking

In a perfect world, I'd want it to be like an MMO where if you die, you lose money or a substitute for repairing your armor in MMORPGs...i guess losing money is the same thing. But that money has to be important. So you care. i.e. make you buy ammo, unlock gadets. buy airstrikes, mortar attacks, attachments, bombs, and many other crazy $#@! they can easily come up with. You have to inherently care about not dying. That's how everything is in life. No one cares about collectivism. It has to come together but it has to start from you.

What these changes will do?

Both changes I listed above would force people to strategize (duh), it will make them communicate with others. It will make players rely on one another more, help each other more. Really would make the game come together. But I think the MMO-like game would be more effective but like i said, wishful thinking, will never happen because this is a casual game.

and i guess, one problem with this is that most people play for fun, if the MMO-like changes came to this game, it would discourage people from $#@!ing around...which is what they want to do anyway. For that reason, my first suggestion would be more realistic.

Conclusion

I think BF3 is one of the best shooters to date but these issues stop the game from becoming what it could've been. I do care about other changes but this is the foundation of the game. It doesn't matter what they throw at us, ultimately it has more potential than they exploit and it infuriates me that they won't look into these things. At this point, more than 5 years down the road (since BF:BC), they're just being lazy or do not understand their focus.

P.S.

And why can't they give us some true hardcore modes? Ones where if you die, you're dead. How amazing that would make things. Your medic would actually matter. You'd actually be afraid of choppers and jets. A tank would push your $#@! back up. It would make destroying vehicles and enemies THAT much more satisfying. Do developers not get this anymore? Are they really that thick or they just don't care?

They can easily do this in Rush...in fact, that makes more sense than any other mode. They can time it to 10 minutes and then have you destroy one location. I get that not everyone is going to like it but seriously...people don't play more than 90% of the other modes that are already there...why they don't experiement...again, makes me want to pull my hair out because I'll take this game over COD any day but I have to get my strategic fix from Search & Destroy (COD mode). Come on DICE, get a $#@!ing hint you $#@!ing euro boobs!

The series has so much potential...it has awesome physics, the best gun mechanics on the planet, the most interesting gun selection of all games i've ever played online, destruction system, vehicles (air, land, water), this is probably the most comprehensive war game outside of ARMA...I just don't get why they do not want to expand this game and they just want to keep pumping out the same $#@!.

I'm still going to get BF4 but believe it or not, I'm getting it on launch primarily because my 3 year old saw me playing it and is now in love with it, won't play any other game...i have tried kiddy games, other shooters, he just loves BF3 and wants BF4. Yes, he knows it's out there.

To DICE: SMH since 2008.
    Last edited by Omar; 09-29-2013 at 20:38.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Just play the game, kill my soldier a bunch of times, all the bad things go away.

3. Likes Omar likes this post
    Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    I know Conquest in BF2 was strategic. I don't know how BF4 will be, but will commanders and squads coming back, it should be strategic enough.

Forum Overseer
    commanders is a cool concept, i just hope it's not like all the other games where it sounds awesome but it's not really important.

weren't squads already there in BF3?

yea, i get over it but really man, this game has a lot of potential. i'm basically waiting for a game to take over this...which is likely not going to happen but ya never know! it's just too bad that i'm spoiled by the things that they do offer...like the gun mechanics for one...is the best on any game. it just sucks that they can't just give us more options, which will make the game so much better.

Forum Overseer
    woops...

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    commanders is a cool concept, i just hope it's not like all the other games where it sounds awesome but it's not really important.

weren't squads already there in BF3?

yea, i get over it but really man, this game has a lot of potential. i'm basically waiting for a game to take over this...which is likely not going to happen but ya never know! it's just too bad that i'm spoiled by the things that they do offer...like the gun mechanics for one...is the best on any game. it just sucks that they can't just give us more options, which will make the game so much better.
    It was a very good feature back in Battlefield 2. The commander plays as overseer of the battlefield and monitors the entire battlefield to coordinate the squads and provide supplies and artillery support. It makes a big difference when you have a good commander, especially when it comes to holding down and attacking bases.

Forum Overseer
    oh yea, i remember from BF2. i hope it's like that...sort of silly they haven't shown much of that lately. i haven't seen it in any gameplay videos. either it's not ready yet or people aren't interested in it...but it's possible someone is already the commander in these games and people just don't care to get in line or whatever you have to do in order to be one. i wish they went more in detail as to what the changes are.

really hope they tweak the modes. make it more persistent...if that makes sense. like, i don't want to have to feel like i need to rush out there constantly.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Overall what I think you are mostly complaining about is public play. Public servers have zero to little teamwork.
    If you get with a few of your mates you can hold an area down for lengthy periods of time.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-30-2013 at 06:09.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Overall what I think you are mostly complaining about is public play. Public servers have zero to little teamwork.
    you might be right. i haven't played wars yet. but am i to accept that? their whole idea of going casual with these games is for people like me that don't have time for clans and wars.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    Those are all good points, so I would like to add 3 more.
    - better search filters
    - better search filters
    - (seriously) better search filters

This is my number one complaint. I understand some people like 1000 tickets, but I don't. Ticket filter would make this game much much better. I only like to play 100%.
    Also, a feature that apparently consoles can't handle: game type filter. I know some people like to spice it up, but I prefer to play only rush, about 95% of the time. I would really like if I could filter servers that only have one game mode on all maps.

These are my biggest complaints, and if they are not addressed in BF4, then I will skip BF4 entirely, no matter how good it is. I am dead serious. I want to play! Not waste 15 minutes trying to find a server to my liking.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator 101 View Post
    Those are all good points, so I would like to add 3 more.
    - better search filters
    - better search filters
    - (seriously) better search filters

This is my number one complaint. I understand some people like 1000 tickets, but I don't. Ticket filter would make this game much much better. I only like to play 100%.
    Also, a feature that apparently consoles can't handle: game type filter. I know some people like to spice it up, but I prefer to play only rush, about 95% of the time. I would really like if I could filter servers that only have one game mode on all maps.

These are my biggest complaints, and if they are not addressed in BF4, then I will skip BF4 entirely, no matter how good it is. I am dead serious. I want to play! Not waste 15 minutes trying to find a server to my liking.
    yea i agree, it's a mess right now. i always felt that they were going to fix all those server list issues but they never did. i feel like they just don't care about their user base. or at least the console base.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Don't get me started on the things tht piss me off with this game.

If the killcam in BF4 beta still overrides the options menu i will scream and not buy it.

P.S
    BRB watching Breaking Bad and Homeland.
    Last edited by keefy; 09-30-2013 at 09:02.

Forum Overseer
    LOL oh yea...and you can't see the scoreboard...i don't know why they did that.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    So the BETA is supposed to be out today. For PS3 users, is it for everyone? I didn't buy BF3 for PS3 or any other product that came with codes, so will I be able to download it?

With GTA Online being sketchy right now I may end up trying some Battlefield again.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by ttech10 View Post
    So the BETA is supposed to be out today. For PS3 users, is it for everyone? I didn't buy BF3 for PS3 or any other product that came with codes, so will I be able to download it?

With GTA Online being sketchy right now I may end up trying some Battlefield again.
    if you were a premium member of BF3, you get it today. if you owned limited edition MOH: fighter, you get it today.

if none, you get it on Oct 4 as an open beta.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Thanks. Unfortunately I'll be out of town this weekend. Hopefully I can get the download started on Friday before I leave so I can mess with it Sunday night.

Apprentice

I think the game's great.

Super Elite
    A shooter is another shooter it is all about how you like it. Some people find critic in anything that isn't call of duty lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] In the darkest abyss I still see you with my perfect sharigan young jedi!

Thread Information