Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Blue screw.
    Yes. It still wasn't hard to take out and put back in. If undoing 1 screw is seen as hard then I feel sorry for a lot of people.

Gonna' be a standard HDD for me. I don't see the point in spending loads of money for a SSD when I doubt the benefits will even be seen.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    I'm actually considering an SSHD, I just don't know if the PS4 will accept it yet. Still researching.
    As far as any HW is concerned, it simply looks like a standard SATA HDD - just the same as an SSD looks just like a standard HDD from the HW that it's going into perspective. The caching of the data into the Solid State portion of the SSHD is totally handled by the SSHD and the PS4 isn't even aware of it. It just accesses the data quicker.

FWIW, I'm also planning on a SSHD, but I'm waiting on the 1TB drive w/ 32GB of SSD Cache instead of the 8GB of SSD Cache that's available today.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Removing comment - Not 100% accurate.
    Last edited by TAZ427; 09-30-2013 at 20:49.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    FWIW, I'm also planning on a SSHD, but I'm waiting on the 1TB drive w/ 32GB of SSD Cache instead of the 8GB of SSD Cache that's available today.
    This is what I'm looking at: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX44769
    1TB Laptop SSHD, SATA w/ 64MB Cache

edit:
    er....64mb cache....um, yea....might be rethinking that

edit2:
    er...meant 8gb cache busy at work, typing forum posts = mistakes
    Last edited by shepard; 09-30-2013 at 21:02.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    This is what I'm looking at: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX44769
    1TB Laptop SSHD, SATA w/ 64MB Cache
    That only has 8GB of Nand Flash (SSD Cache) - The 64MB of cache is another caching layer (and not Flash based.)

This is the one I was referring to http://www.seagate.com/files/www-con...100724266b.pdf

EDIT: Please note I still haven't heard 100% if they're supporting 9.5mm Drive Height or not, this is a crucial piece of information.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Why? Sure, load times would be increased but the amount of space you get per £ isn't really worth it for a storage medium. In my eyes. if it fits i'll probably get a 10,000 rpm Western Digital Velociraptor and get a 1TB

I wouldn't have described it as hard, it was one screw An elastic band made it easy to do without stripping the head.
    Won't fit.

Master Sage
    Yes. It still wasn't hard to take out and put back in. If undoing 1 screw is seen as hard then I feel sorry for a lot of people.
    Removing the screw isn't hard, removing it without stripping it was.

Apprentice

2.5 inch drive has been confirmed right? Wish it was 3.5 as bigger sizes cost less.

PSN ID
    DaGrandMastah
    So how much are 2 tb 2.5 inch drives going for right now? What's a good price to look for? I'm planning on going all digital this generation so I expect to upgrade the hdd sometime soon after release.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Killzone is 50GB or close to it. No way I'm leaving that 500GB drive in the ps4 unless it lets you "plug and play" when swapping drives and not have to worry about things being reset other than it verifying it's the same console.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by DaGrandMastah View Post
    So how much are 2 tb 2.5 inch drives going for right now? What's a good price to look for? I'm planning on going all digital this generation so I expect to upgrade the hdd sometime soon after release.
    Looks like $179 at Newegg.

PSN ID
    DaGrandMastah
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Killzone is 50GB or close to it. No way I'm leaving that 500GB drive in the ps4 unless it lets you "plug and play" when swapping drives and not have to worry about things being reset other than it verifying it's the same console.
    So you're planning on swapping it out right away?

Matter of fact, how many people are planning to swap out the hard drive right away? I remember swapping out the hard drive from my original ps3 but i honestly don't remember how the data was transferred over. Anyone know exactly how this works (well as well as you can considering the ps4 isn't out yet).

Ancient
    The biggest mistake you can make with the HDD screws on the PS3 is using a small screwdriver, easy mistake as the screws are small, I assume people used the smallest are second smallest, but its a size up that fits and locks with no problem.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    So you're planning on swapping it out right away?

Matter of fact, how many people are planning to swap out the hard drive right away? I remember swapping out the hard drive from my original ps3 but i honestly don't remember how the data was transferred over. Anyone know exactly how this works (well as well as you can considering the ps4 isn't out yet).

To my knowledge there was a backup features in settings but I had to re download things from psn.
    I'm planning on swapping HDd first easier

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    If I can afford, will be swapping the HDD out straight away too. Easier than having to transfer data down the line, though obviously it isn't crucial to begin with.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBreezyBB View Post
    What? I don't even...

Sorry i didn't understand a word from what you just said!

the PS4 has a normal 2.5" HDD any 2.5" SSD will work.
    My bad, I just thought that the PS3 didn't support the SSD I know they're the same size but thought they'd require something in specific like watt usage and stuff in order to work with it and therefore wouldn't be compatible but I was wrong because that doesn't matter at all lol.

Forum Sage

Gonna' be a standard HDD for me. I don't see the point in spending loads of money for a SSD when I doubt the benefits will even be seen.
    Not just the blue screw....it was one of the first things you had to get past. I had trouble with the small screws around the casing that held the HDD in place. I ended up chipping them and couldn't get the HDD out so had to order a replacement case and use pliers to get the screw off -- you might be wondering why I didn't do that in the first place (first time doing it and didn't expect chipping to be a problem); anyway point being it wasn't that hard but it did prove to be an issue so hearing that's improved is good news to me.

Forum Overseer
    PS3 HDD was hard to swap?
    you'd be surprised. this dude had to watch a tutorial to find out how to install the HDD on his 360. i have not seen a single device that was as easy to replace the HDD with, as the 360.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    you'd be surprised. this dude had to watch a tutorial to find out how to install the HDD on his 360. i have not seen a single device that was as easy to replace the HDD with, as the 360.
    Yes but at a massive price premium :s can't even do that on x1!

As for using SSD's, about the only issue I would see long terms is that running games off them will put a lot of wear and tear on the read/write cycles available.

All I'm saying is if you do replace it, keep the original 500gb drive around for when you eventually burn out the SSD.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    Yes but at a massive price premium :s can't even do that on x1!

As for using SSD's, about the only issue I would see long terms is that running games off them will put a lot of wear and tear on the read/write cycles available.

All I'm saying is if you do replace it, keep the original 500gb drive around for when you eventually burn out the SSD.
    You can use external storage with the X1.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    That was an awesome feature, but last I heard they removed it from launch and put in "future features to come".
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Did not know that, I had always wondered. Thanks.

That said I shouldn't use this as an x1 conversation thread. Ps4 talk is what we are here for

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    It would be nice if we could swap in and out different harddrives without it constantly reformating it. If the PS4 reformats said HDD, it should stay that way. With the PS3 if you took out the HDD, it would have to reformat it again even though it was already formatted for the PS3 which I found really odd.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I can guaranty that the 2TB ones today won't fit. They are 15mm tall and standard is 9.5mm height and slims are 7.0mm. Hopefully Sony will be using 9.5mm tall HDD - I'd expect so because they want the lowest cost pricing, but I still haven't seen this confirmed, but I can guaranty they are not going to support 15mm tall HDDs.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    I can guaranty that the 2TB ones today won't fit. They are 15mm tall and standard is 9.5mm height and slims are 7.0mm. Hopefully Sony will be using 9.5mm tall HDD - I'd expect so because they want the lowest cost pricing, but I still haven't seen this confirmed, but I can guaranty they are not going to support 15mm tall HDDs.
    I would be incredibly surprised if it was something other than 9.5mm, that is the most common size and if they went with the slim 7mm it would severely limit the size hard drive you could put in the machine. If I were gambling on it I would put all my money on 9.5mm!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Thread Information