Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    That was an awesome feature, but last I heard they removed it from launch and put in "future features to come".
    I'm fairly certain it will be out in a few months from launch.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I would be incredibly surprised if it was something other than 9.5mm, that is the most common size and if they went with the slim 7mm it would severely limit the size hard drive you could put in the machine. If I were gambling on it I would put all my money on 9.5mm!
    Yeah, I'd give a 99% probability of 9.5mm, 1% probability of 7.0mm and 0% - Chances of me hitting the lottery of a 15mm drive height.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GreenBeret
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    Actually, I think the material make up was the reason for that screw's stripping and threading. If memory serves me right, it felt too soft for its own good. Take that and add on the fact that it was machined screwed in and it wasn't really fun to mess with.
    Sounds like a personal problem :P lol there is a pill for that hahah jk

/
    //M3

4. Likes Ezekiel, darky89 likes this post
    Master Guru
    PSN ID
    DynamicSun
    That's good to hear. I hope that I can put an HDD that's bigger than 1 TB.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by IWAO View Post
    That's good to hear. I hope that I can put an HDD that's bigger than 1 TB.
    Currently 1.5TB is the largest 2.5" drive that's 9.5mm tall, and that's the WD Travelstar 1.5TB drive that was recently released. All the ones on the market above this size right now are 15mm tall drives.

Early next year sometime I'd suspect you'll see more enter the market w/ 1.5TB and 9.5mm tall, but I doubt you'll see a 2TB drive at 9.5mm until late 2014.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Yeah, I'd give a 99% probability of 9.5mm, 1% probability of 7.0mm and 0% - Chances of me hitting the lottery of a 15mm drive height.
    Watch them go back to the PS2 era and bust out with the 3.5" action! Pretty sure when I added the drive to the PS2 it actually doubled the weight of that console!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

8. Likes TAZ427 likes this post
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Watch them go back to the PS2 era and bust out with the 3.5" action! Pretty sure when I added the drive to the PS2 it actually doubled the weight of that console!
    Believe it or not, I'd prefer this. More capacity and less expensive.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Believe it or not, I'd prefer this. More capacity and less expensive.
    If it weren't for the physical size/heat/weight of a 3.5" I would be all for it as well! I just wish SSD prices would drop already so we can all roll around in 550+ MB/s goodness!

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    If it weren't for the physical size/heat/weight of a 3.5" I would be all for it as well! I just wish SSD prices would drop already so we can all roll around in 550+ MB/s goodness!
    Heat's nothing of note < 10W of power. Weight - ~1lb. Size - Could be, but to be honest they could have designed in a 3.5 drive on the Phat and Slim (and probably supper slim.)

SSD Prices most likely will never catch up to HDD. SSHD is the way to go IMHO. Best of both worlds.

PSN ID
    DaGrandMastah
    OK so now I know I can't look at 2 tb drives.......good thing someone created this thread.

I may just wait until it comes out before swapping out the hard drive. Even going all digital and Killzone taking up 50 gb's I don't see how the 500 gb hard drive won't last me several months at least.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    why can't you look at 2TB drives? they have them 2.5" 2TB drives. clearly not a common drive and I personally think that Sony could have at least made it so external HDD were supported for quick file swapping from downloadable games to even movies.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    SSD Prices most likely will never catch up to HDD. SSHD is the way to go IMHO. Best of both worlds.
    Right now, I agree 100% SSHD is the way to go, and like you I am waiting for the newer Seagate model with the 32GB of solid state memory, I e-mailed them and they still don't have an ETA, they just keep telling me to keep looking on their Facebook page for more info, they refuse to tell me if it is a manufacturing issue or supply issue that is holding it up. I think over time SSD will catch up with HDD drives, HDD are really getting near their max storage capacity and solid state probably has a lot more tricks up its sleeve for the future. Heck, I remember paying $40 for a 1MB RAM stick for my 286, and now you can get a 4GB DDR3 module for the same price, it will just take time...the question is though, how much...

Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    why can't you look at 2TB drives? they have them 2.5" 2TB drives. clearly not a common drive and I personally think that Sony could have at least made it so external HDD were supported for quick file swapping from downloadable games to even movies.
    The 2TB 2.5" drives are 15mm thick, which is way thicker than your typical 9.5mm laptop hard drive (which is what the PS3 uses and more than likely what the PS4 will also use).
    Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 10-02-2013 at 01:09.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    The screw was indeed a pain but if you had the right sized screwdriver it worked fine and dandy.
    I used my glasses screwdriver set could with a pair of pliers to get more leverage because the the drivers are small and thin, the teeth of the pliers fit in the grooves on the shaft of the driver so wouldn't slip.

After you get it out once there is no need for the screw, I left mine out.
    If you don't have a jewelers kit nearby and your an IT pro, don't even come to me with your A+, i'll get it invalidated!

But, yes, to everyone else, a Jewelers Kit is handy!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr

The 2TB 2.5" drives are 15mm thick, which is way thicker than your typical 9.5mm laptop hard drive (which is what the PS3 uses and more than likely what the PS4 will also use).
    100% Doubt Sony will use a 15mm drive it's not a standard 2.5inch HDD, hence the reason many old (last 2 years or so) macbook pro's and generic PC laptops use 9.5mm, 2TB will probably be available in a standard size soon.

External HDD support will come later, it's pretty much a given.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Quote Originally Posted by chriharr View Post
    100% Doubt Sony will use a 15mm drive it's not a standard 2.5inch HDD, hence the reason many old (last 2 years or so) macbook pro's and generic PC laptops use 9.5mm, 2TB will probably be available in a standard size soon.

Hybrid HDD's will see an improvement in PS3 because it's an extra large cache because the VRAM and general RAM is so low on the PS3 that's why you see the benefit of a cache.

However with PS4 featuring 8GB of RAM overall and most stated games so far only using around 3.5GB MAX you won't benefit from a hybrid HDD. You would get the same performance as a 7200RPM HDD even then a 10,000 RPM drive would be overkill especially if throughput of data is capped somewhere on the main board.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Forum Sage

That's what she said. LOL

19. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself

Hybrid HDD's will see an improvement in PS3 because it's an extra large cache because the VRAM and general RAM is so low on the PS3 that's why you see the benefit of a cache.

However with PS4 featuring 8GB of RAM overall and most stated games so far only using around 3.5GB MAX you won't benefit from a hybrid HDD. You would get the same performance as a 7200RPM HDD even then a 10,000 RPM drive would be overkill especially if throughput of data is capped somewhere on the main board.
    I in no way thing they would go with a 15mm 2.5" drive, I am 99.999% sure it will be 9.5mm and there is a .001% possibility it will be 7mm. I have plans on getting a SSHD for the PS4, currently Seagate has a 1TB drive with 8GB of solid state storage, but they are on the cusp of releasing one that is 1TB with 32GB of solid state storage, which is the one that I am planning on getting. SSHD drives are definitely a happy medium between the two types of drives right now, and it really doesn't cost that much more to go with one...I am surprised more companies aren't releasing them right now! As for the RAM, I don't think you are understanding how hard drives and system memory work...having a SSHD drive will make an improvement in load times with games and the OS, you still have to get the information from the hard drive to the memory as fast as possible and that is where a SSHD or SSD drive will shine! Killzone Shadow Fall is 50GB in size, so having a fast drive will make a world of difference!

http://www.qj.net/ps3/news/gta-onlin...ge/page-3.html
    Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 10-02-2013 at 14:41.

21. Likes TAZ427 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I dotn see the point odf those hybrid drives. Either have it full on or not at all.
    I will give my 60GB SSD a try when I get my PS4.
    Last edited by keefy; 10-02-2013 at 15:54.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I dotn see the point odf those hybrid drives. Either have it full on or not at all.
    I will give my 60GB SSD a try when I get my PS4.
    Because they don't cost much more than a standard HDD and you get better than standard HDD performance out of it. If I could get a 1TB SSD drive without having to sell a kidney on the black market I would get one, but since I don't feel like spending more on the drive than I did on the console and all accessories and games I will get a SSHD for a slightly higher price than a standard HDD.

1TB HDD (standard HDD) - $79.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822178006

1TB SSHD (Hybrid Drive with 8GB solid state) - $119.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822178340

1TB SSD Drive - $610.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147251

And Seagate has a 1TB SSHD coming out with 32GB of solid state storage, which I am hoping will come out before the PS4 releases.
    Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 10-02-2013 at 16:13.

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    $#@! lol. $611.

25. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    $#@! lol. $611.
    Exactly! I will stick with the SSHD!

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Because they don't cost much more than a standard HDD and you get better than standard HDD performance out of it. If I could get a 1TB SSD drive without having to sell a kidney on the black market I would get one, but since I don't feel like spending more on the drive than I did on the console and all accessories and games I will get a SSHD for a slightly higher price than a standard HDD.
    Exactly, a fraction of the cost for almost the same performance.

1TB SSD ~$600, 1TB SSHD ~$130, 1TB HHD ~$80.

SSHD is close to SSD speeds overall performance, especially for anything that's used frequently and what's used most recently. So the OS and recent played portions of games will be cached into the Flash memory and will be accessed from the flash memory at the same speeds as an SSD.

My personal laptop uses the Intel Smart Response which effectively turns the HDD into an SSHD by doing the Flash memory caching in 20GB of Flash memory on the MoBo. My laptop comes up from full sleep (not hibernate but full sleep) to fully operating nothing coming up in the background in 9s. Same realm of performance as an SSD.

I have colleagues that have managed to convince their bosses to put SSD's that 1/2 their drive space but more than double the cost on their work laptops for that SSD performance. I had my work laptops HDD crash on my about 4mo ago. I had a SSHD put in, no need to ask for approval. Damn that screams even w/ the company security bloatware installed.
    Last edited by TAZ427; 10-02-2013 at 16:31.

28. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Forum Guru
    Indeed, hybrid drives are the way to go.
    A RAID box might be another interesting solution. (4xSSHD for a speed, reliability and a storage.. )
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

PSN ID
    DaGrandMastah
    Hopefully they add external drive support by the time I run out of 500 gb. That would be perfect.

Anyone know if they plan on adding that at a later point? (Obivoulsy not know KNOW unelss you work for Sony but any rumors to it being possible?)

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGrandMastah View Post
    Hopefully they add external drive support by the time I run out of 500 gb. That would be perfect.

Anyone know if they plan on adding that at a later point? (Obivoulsy not know KNOW unelss you work for Sony but any rumors to it being possible?)
    No e-sata port on the back, only 2 USB Ports, while they'll support connecting an external drive via USB for access, it would not be for additional system HDD space. And the fact that they HDD is easily replaceable would lead me to believe that support for an added external drive is highly unlikely, not to mention a waste of resources from a Console build perspective.

If you want to put Media on an external HDD for access over USB, that's fine and dandy, I'd rather it support NAS personally, but I'm fairly certain it will support DNLA.

Thread Information