Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Forced camera is anti-consumer says Sony

Forum Sage
    Of course Sony would say this.

Forced blu-ray was anti consumer when sony made it the defacto media format on the PS3.

Elite Guru
    It would be more surprising if Sony said it wasn't a bad thing :P

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Lol sure sony saying this is normal, yet you should also state your own ideas instead of stating the FACT.lol. Oh and comparing camera with a disc reader is not right. Disc reader was a must, a camera that most does not care, is not.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

5. Likes VayMasters86, DarkNemesis likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post

Forced blu-ray was anti consumer when sony made it the defacto media format on the PS3.
    LOL! When the alternative was HD-DVD? A format almost unilaterally supported by a software company with no manufacturing capacity? A format we'd have to replace due to its poor bandwidth for 4K video?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, seriously, no one should be able to laugh at you hard enough, I had to tone it down. Especially when equated with a camera that takes biometric data and can potentially distribute it over a paid network known for its embedded advertisement and data collection policies for marketing. Not to mention now being an infamous collaborator with the NSA in data mining.

Oh, DO point THAT finger at Sony bro.
    Last edited by Lefein; 10-01-2013 at 14:32.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    For console gaming bluray would have had to come out and Sony did the right thing. Even though it was very expensive, it was still the right thing to do. even with a 2TB HDD, going all digital still has it's downs. You can fill up a 2TB HDD very fast by just going all digital. With games like KZ:SF coming out that are 50GB. yea, good luck getting a decent library of games on that HDD for gamers. It's just not going to happen. Digital for consoles is still a long ways off. now if you could install multiple HDD's in the console and play games through those multiple HDD's, then I see digital only. It won't happen for a good while. Bluray was really the right choice even though it cost a lot.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    For console gaming bluray would have had to come out and Sony did the right thing. Even though it was very expensive, it was still the right thing to do. even with a 2TB HDD, going all digital still has it's downs. You can fill up a 2TB HDD very fast by just going all digital. With games like KZ:SF coming out that are 50GB. yea, good luck getting a decent library of games on that HDD for gamers. It's just not going to happen. Digital for consoles is still a long ways off. now if you could install multiple HDD's in the console and play games through those multiple HDD's, then I see digital only. It won't happen for a good while. Bluray was really the right choice even though it cost a lot.
    Been a steam user for 10 years and not once have I ever installed all of my games on my hard drives. There is no need, I just have the new ones and ones I play most often.

2000GB / 50GB = 40 games.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Been a steam user for 10 years and not once have I ever installed all of my games on my hard drives.

2000GB / 50GB = 40 games.
    yea and not every game is 50GB either. I think you meant to say you haven't filled a 2000GB/(2TB) HDD or whatever HDD you are using. That does not include movies as well. if HD it's going to be much more like a few GB at least. I've been a steam user just as long as you. doesn't mean anything and in fact there are way to many games that are very small on steam. Not many games on the PC are reaching 50GB or more. In fact, not many games on steam that I have bought are even reaching 10GB. lets not forget that part at least. I see many more games on the console using 20GB and more just for one game Vs the PC. Although that will change, but most games on the PC are still quite a bit smaller in terms of storage. This falls under mmorpgs as well and those are huge.

on my PC, I already have 1TB full.
    Last edited by Demi_God; 10-01-2013 at 14:49.

Supreme Veteran
    yea and not every game is 50GB either. I think you meant to say you haven't filled a 2000GB HDD up. Also that does not include movies as well. if HD it's going to be much more like a few GB at least. I've been a steam user just as long as you. doesn't mean anything and in fact there are way to many games that are very small on steam. Not many games on the PC are reaching 50GB or more. In fact, not many games on steam that I have bought are even reaching 10GB. lets not forget that part shall we. I see many more games on the console using 20GB and more just for one game Vs the PC. Although that will change, but most games on the PC are still quite a bit smaller in terms of storage. This falls under MMORPG's as well and those are huge.

on my PC, I already have 1TB full.

NO the point is I never installed every single game I have ever owned on steam at the same time. Just because you own them doesn't mean you have to have them all installed especially if they are not played.
    Last edited by keefy; 10-01-2013 at 14:49.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    If I have a gaming console, I want my games installed O_o

Forum Guru

Which is why they learned their lesson. Sony 2013 ain't Sony 2006.

Elite Sage
    Biggest I ever got my Steam folder was 900GB. I only played about 3 or 4 so games I had installed.

Supreme Veteran
    You sound like a hoarder. Never wants to throw (in this case delete) stuff away.

Dedicated Member
    You sound like a hoarder. Never wants to throw (in this case delete) stuff away.

Have you downloaded and played every single game you have ever bought on steam? Even from the massive steam sales? :P

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427

Let's see - Camera - Add-on functionality - Not critical to operation of a game console though MS wants it to be.

VS

A media interface for physical media - An item required. It was also used to win the High Def Disc war, but that's not anti-consumer and provided for the Disc Space needed to fit any game on one disc for the generation.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Totally understandable, especially in today's gaming mindset, but these new consoles will allow us to play while you download, so erasing and reinstalling games regularly isn't a crazy non practical idea anymore.
    With games probably averaging 20Gb plus having an all digital library that's always installed is not likely, but to have a huge library of digital games all uninstalled waiting to be played instantly whenever you want to start installing/playing is a very practical way to store your games.
    As long as you leave at least 60Gb or so for the bigger games you should always be fine.
    I would save at least 3 times that to have at least that many games to switch between. I like have multiple games to switch between at one time. But with a mix of physical and digital games, it shouldn't be to much of a problem.
    That's just my plan.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    pacpunk

Even though the PS3 played DVD's? You weren't forced into Bluray and you still aren't. Besides Blurays are way better then DVD's so I don't know why you are complaining.

a Camera is completely optional and should be, you're not getting your media through the camera it's just another form of optional interaction.
    Contributing Writer @ PSU | Amateur Games Journalist | Internet Media Guy

Tumblr Blogs: Josh Likes Games | Coffee and Controllers | Follow me on Twitter
    Spooky Mobley's Conspiracy Corner | Pixel Power Art

19. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    You clearly don't understand and I won't go farther in this with you because of that. unbelievable.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    MS later stated that Kinect can just be turned off yet theyre still bundling it with the console and charging you $100 extra for it whether you want it or not. If its not needed for the console to function then why make it mandatory? Thats definitely anti-consumer.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    LOL! When the alternative was HD-DVD? A format almost unilaterally supported by a software company with no manufacturing capacity? A format we'd have to replace due to its poor bandwidth for 4K video?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, seriously, no one should be able to laugh at you hard enough, I had to tone it down. Especially when equated with a camera that takes biometric data and can potentially distribute it over a paid network known for its embedded advertisement and data collection policies for marketing. Not to mention now being an infamous collaborator with the NSA in data mining.

Oh, DO point THAT finger at Sony bro.
    Way to be obtuse. Obviously, I was referring to DVD's. There was no need for a format other than DVD (like HD DVD or Blu-Ray) on the PS3. ZOMG, you would have to swap discs for some games, the horror (nobody seemed to complain about doing so for FF 7.). And Sony had the benefit of a HDD in every console which would have minimized this issue. Blu-Ray was put in solely to ensure Sony had a much better chance at winning the format war and had no benefit for games/gamers. Without blu-ray the PS# could have launched earlier (around the the time the 360 did) and at a significantly lower price (much closer to that of the 360). Funny enough the PS3 did have support for games on DVD, but I can't think of any titles that shipped on a DVD. Everything was on Blu-Ray whether the space was needed or not.

Your so claimed privacy worries are a joke. Because MS is guaranteed to use Kinect 2.0 (which can be disabled and unplugged) to gather data about X1 users which will be used for advertisements/marketing purposes and likely also given to the NSA if they ask for it.

Yeah because both MS and the NSA really want to see this:

Firstly MS can gather more than enough data just based on what you do on your console, with no need for additional "data" provided by kinect.

Secondly you are assuming just because something is theoretically possible, it is guaranteed to happen. ZOMG, kinect included with every X1 = guaranteed data storage and mining of information for MS and the NSA.

Did you flip out when Apple revealed a fingerprint sensor on the iphone 5s? Do you believe that biometric data will be stored and used by apple for their own purposes, and possibly given to the NSA?

Are you part of the tinfoil had crowd?

No, seriously, no one should be able to laugh at you hard enough.

Again lets look at the breakdown.

What could the NSA possibly gain from your gaming/home entertaining habits that they wouldn't get from your communication via the phone, texts, online posts and email messages? Seriously what more could they need/want that isn't provided by those things?

Secondly you are acting as if MS is working with the NSA by itself and everybody else told the NSA to piss off. When it is true that every major company in the previously mentioned/related fields works with the NSA. Also you seem to assume MS is going above and beyond helping the NSA, when again many companies are offering the same level of compliance/cooperation. In case you are forgetting your history, MS doesn't have much reason to like the US govt.

In addition you think/calm that MS isn't doing anything to secure your data/stand up for your privacy to the govt.

Clearly that isn't the case (and just take a look at how many companies are selling you out):

https://www.eff.org/who-has-your-back-2013

Base off of that report MS is doing pretty good job, better than most other companies.

And finally you ask is I can point that finger at sony? Actually I can. Sony's security measure were not good enough to prevent PSN from being hacked and compromising the user information of 77 million accounts. No such intrusion/loss has occurred with xbox live. I think I'll take my chances with a company (in bed with the NSA as you claim) over Sony regarding my information. Another thing I will point out is that Sony has taken no steps to provided enhanced security on their andorid smartphones over claimed vulnerabilities and "holes" that allow access by the NSA (more easily than on competing smartphone OS platforms).

So there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Let's see - Camera - Add-on functionality - Not critical to operation of a game console though MS wants it to be.

VS

A media interface for physical media - An item required. It was also used to win the High Def Disc war, but that's not anti-consumer and provided for the Disc Space needed to fit any game on one disc for the generation.
    Not anti consumer? Really, you are going to say that when everything could have been accomplished with DVD? (Because disc swapping is the invention of the devil, amirite?)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmobley View Post
    Even though the PS3 played DVD's? You weren't forced into Bluray and you still aren't. Besides Blurays are way better then DVD's so I don't know why you are complaining.

a Camera is completely optional and should be, you're not getting your media through the camera it's just another form of optional interaction.
    Pleas let me know where I can buy PS3 games on DVD, I would be grateful for such information.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    MS later stated that Kinect can just be turned off yet theyre still bundling it with the console and charging you $100 extra for it whether you want it or not. If its not needed for the console to function then why make it mandatory? Thats definitely anti-consumer.
    Really, you are saying this now, even this has been discussed a million times?

I suggest you go as sufi that question, he should set you straight.

Also even if MS made kinect mandatory for the X1 to function, you could (and likely would ) claim that such a decision is anti - consumer.

23. Likes GreatSpaceKoaster likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I agree, it's very anti-consumer. Sony is certainly right about that part. The fact that you can turn it off but still have to purchase it is nothing more than another way to get money. I believe because of that it will bite microsoft in the ass a bit. Not completely but they will feel a good butt nipping. So much so that when the next consoles come out I doubt they will do it again. I will say though that thank heavens ballmer is going to be done.

As for MATRIX2, if it didn't happen with the PS3, it would happen with the PS4. No matter what, it would have happened down the road. The points you are arguing about is nothing more than dribble at best.
    Last edited by Demi_God; 10-01-2013 at 20:19.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Thank God Xbox One is sticking with DVD and not forcing us to.....oh....wait
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

26. Likes mistercrow, Demi_God likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran

One of this generations hand full of AAAA titles says otherwise.

28. Likes x_terna likes this post
    Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Exactly. That is one of the biggest issues for me. I don't want Kinect and I sure as hell don't want to pay extra for it.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

30. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Master Guru
    PSN ID
    DynamicSun
    It is. And I'm glad that Sony didn't do that.

Thread Information