Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Ex-Microsoft privacy adviser: I don't trust company after NSA revelations

Ex-Microsoft privacy adviser: I don't trust company after NSA revelations

Caspar Bowden says he was unaware of Prism data-sharing program when he worked at software firm
    Beta

Caspar Bowden said the NSA’s surveillance efforts were undermining democracy. Photograph: Unknown

Microsoft's former chief privacy adviser says he does not have faith in the security of the software company's technology, following revelations about the US's NSA spy agency published in the Guardian.
    Caspar Bowden, who between 2002 and 2011 was in charge of the privacy policy for 40 countries in which Microsoft operated – but not the US – told a conference in Lausanne, Switzerland, that he was unaware of the Prism data-sharing program when he worked at the company.
    "I don't trust Microsoft now," he said, adding that he only uses open source software where he can examine the underlying code. He also said he has not carried a mobile phone for two years.
    In June the Guardian revealed that an NSA program called Prism could demand data from a number of technology companies at will using court orders that were never rejected.
    Bowden said the extent of the NSA's surveillance efforts – where it shares and gathers intelligence with the UK's GCHQ and intelligence agencies in Canada, New Zealand and Australia – was undermining democracy.
    "The public now has to think about the fact that anybody in public life, or person in a position of influence in government, business or bureaucracy, now is thinking about what the NSA knows about them. So how can we trust that the decisions that they make are objective and that they aren't changing the decisions that they make to protect their career? That strikes at any system of representative government."
    The wording of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (Fisa) under which the NSA gathers intelligence means that "there's no protection if you're not an American", said Bowden.
    He added: "We're living through a transformation in surveillance power that's never been seen before on earth. And we don't know what type of government or leader will come to power next and exploit it. It could be the next president. It could be this one."
    Another speaker at the conference, digital activist Jacob Appelbaum, who has worked with WikiLeaks and on the Tor anonymity system, suggested that some employees of the NSA should be arrested if they visit Europe on the basis that by deliberately weakening cryptographic systems they had put people in danger.
    Earlier this month the Guardian explained how NSA and GCHQ have worked to insert mathematical weaknesses into cryptography systems used to scramble internet data and other information.
    That has put people at risk of their lives, Appelbaum argued. "People who commit mass human-rights violations, they should be prosecuted," he said. "The NSA has a slogan internally — 'we track 'em, you whack 'em' – where they help to target drone strikes." Such strikes were an abuse of natural justice, he said.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...vacy-chief-nsa
    Mandatory Kinect (and the subsequent unruly price, of course) are major reasons why a lot of people are not on board with the XBone as of late. Unfortunately, it would seem that some peoples worries about how the Kinect will be used are actually warranted.

In before tinfoil hat post. Guy got paid to secure data for MS.

2. Likes victorijapoosp , mistercrow likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Luckily Kinect is only madatory to buy, not use. I'm with this thread title though. I don't see how you can trust ANY company that has data from you.

4. Likes Foraeli likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Luckily Kinect is only madatory to buy, not use. I'm with this thread title though. I don't see how you can trust ANY company that has data from you.
    Have they confirmed that the XBone will work fine without the Kinect connected? Even if you turned off or taped the camera "blind" the microphones would still work, otherwise.

Also, a timely reminder that:
    http://nsnbc.me/2013/07/13/documents...sa-spy-on-you/

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Have they confirmed that the XBone will work fine without the Kinect connected? Even if you turned off or taped the camera "blind" the microphones would still work, otherwise.

"Coming soon, The Xbox One Kinect Anechoic Chamber, simply place over the top of your new Kinect to be 100% secure from any prying eyes or ears" :P

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    There's been so much talk, back and forth from MS execs, it's ridiculous. Their hottest strategy this summer: tell separate half-truths to different journalists and do some backtracking further down the line.

Last two things I heard was, you could turn kinect off in the settings and that it needs to be connected. From two different spokesperson of course.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post

Yes, Marc Whitten confirmed that you don't need the Kinect plugged in for the console to work.

Since Kinect must be plugged in for the Xbox One to function, what happens if your Kinect breaks? Like if it falls off the top of your TV onto a hardwood floor or something? Will the console cease to function?

WHITTEN: Xbox One is designed to work with Kinect plugged in. It makes gaming better in many ways – from the ability to say “Xbox On” and get right to your personalized homescreen, to the ability to control your TV through voice, Smartglass and more. Kinect allows you to search for your content, instantly move between games and your personalized dash and more with just your voice. Kinect helps you pick up and play by automatically knowing which controller you have in your hands. No more need to interrupt your friends game or navigate through multiple UI screens to sign in and tell the system which controller you are holding. It will even bind the controller to the console if its currently unbound – no searching for special buttons! Of course – these are just a few of the system wide benefits of having Kinect. Games use Kinect in a variety of amazing ways from adding voice to control your squad mates to adding lean and other simple controls beyond the controller to full immersive gameplay. That said, like online, the console will still function if Kinect isn’t plugged in, although you won’t be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor.

9. Likes snooper71, K2D , Lefein likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Yes, Marc Whitten confirmed that you don't need the Kinect plugged in for the console to work.
    That is good to know.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I don't really trust the internet as a whole. Google, Facebook, Yahoo and many other leading IT giants have also been involved but I don't think they were knocking at NSA's door wanting to partake. A Yahoo exec said that they were threatened with severe consequences if they chose not to cooperate in 'securing the world from terrorism' or whatever reason the NSA is bullshitting with.

NSA is clearly an insidious force. Aside from working with these IT giants to have backdoors installed and access granted upon request, it influenced the encryption standards used on the internet as a whole and have super computers to brutforce other encryption.
    The US reportedly began investing billions of dollars in the operation in 2000 after its initial efforts to install a "back door" in all encryption systems were thwarted.
    'Gobsmacked'

During the next decade, it is said the NSA employed code-breaking computers and began collaborating with technology companies at home and abroad to build entry points into their products.

The documents provided to the Guardian by Mr Snowden do not specify which companies participated.

The NSA also hacked into computers to capture messages prior to encryption, and used broad influence to introduce weaknesses into encryption standards followed by software developers the world over, the New York Times reports.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23981291

If anyone is deserving of mistrust its the US government and NSA who now have unprecendented access to a vast majority of the net if these leaks are anything to by.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I don't really trust the internet as a whole. Google, Facebook, Yahoo and many other leading IT giants have also been involved but I don't think they were knocking at NSA's door wanting to partake. A Yahoo exec said that they were threatened with severe consequences if they chose not to cooperate in 'securing the world from terrorism' or whatever reason the NSA is bullshitting with.

NSA is clearly an insidious force. Aside from working with these IT giants to have backdoors installed and access granted upon request, it influenced the encryption standards used on the internet as a whole and have super computers to brutforce other encryption.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23981291

If anyone is deserving of mistrust its the US government and NSA who now have unprecendented access to a vast majority of the net if these leaks are anything to by.
    That sums it up for me.

I'll make sure that when I do get an X1 and the kids have Kinect plugged in to wear my tinfoil hat (or would copper create better interference?!?!?)

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    That's why you take a bath in egg salad.....while the NSA people watch you.

Banned

I'll just play my Xbox One under this for privacy.....

You can say this $#@! about any company including Sony. After their PSN hack, I don't feel any more comfortable with them either.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    One was a case of a company's database being hacked by a bunch of kids and the other involves a company complying with government agencies under the threat of consequence for noncompliance...Mistrusting a company for things beyond their control is a bit rough imho.

16. Likes Foraeli likes this post
    Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    It's hard to deal with the politics of being a massive corporation. Too many people have their hands in the business, and it makes it hard to control its direction. Moral of the story is to never turn on Kinect and the government won't steal your babies. The modern world is a scary place. The more we know, the more we have to fear. Ignorance would be bliss.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    One was a case of a company's database being hacked by a bunch of kids and the other involves a company complying with government agencies under the threat of consequence for noncompliance...Mistrusting a company for things beyond their control is a bit rough imho.
    Ah.... having a secure network was within Sony's control as Xbox Live has proven by NOT being hacked. So yeah... I can mistrust a company that dropped the ball and let my personal data and credit card information be hacked away and distributed in a way I as a consumer have no control over.
    Last edited by GreatSpaceKoaster; 10-06-2013 at 07:10.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Thou must buy! or else...
    Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Thread Information