Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Battlefield 4 Is the Game With The Most Scalable Graphics in History

Battlefield 4 Is the Game With The Most Scalable Graphics in History

by Giuseppe Nelva Oct 3rd 2013 10:14AM @abriael

Battlefield 4 is now in beta, and one thing immediately became apparent to many PC Gamers testing it…Well, to be fair it’s two things: the first are the usual performance issues that are pretty much endemic of a game in beta, and that hopefully will go away soon enough. The second elements is that the game’s graphics are the most scalable in the history of gaming.
    Normally PC games have a certain range between which the visuals can be tweaked, and that range is normally quite wide, but not wide enough to let you play the game decently on a PC with specs much inferior to the minimum requirements.

With Battlefield 4 that’s not the case. Among the usual range of options it includes a less visible but crucial one called “Resolution Scale”. That option is a full fledged game changer, and allows you to tweak the internal rendering resolution of the game in order to make the game run faster (and on much slower PCs) via downsampling or to increase the visual fidelity progressively if you have a really beefy rig by supersampling, without changing the final display resolution.

The range allowed is between 25% and 200%, which means that you can force your graphics card to render the picture in a resolution as low as 256 x 192 pixels, or as high as full 4K (3840 × 2160), before stretching or squeezing the image back to your chosen screen resolution.

The result is that, while you have plenty space to increase the visuals of the game to almost crazy levels, you can also decrease it to the point that your grandma’s laptop, which is probably way below the minimum required specs for the game, can run it at a very playable framerate.

The screenshots you can see in this post were taken at two extreme settings. The first is 1920 x 1080, maximum settings and 170% resolution supersampling (the video card of my gaming PC simply didn’t want to go higher without crashing, but more powerful rigs can definitely achieve 200%), meaning that the game was internally rendered at 3264 x 1836 and then squeezed back on my screen to Full HD resolution.

The second setting is 1024 x 768 with all graphical options on their lowest setting and 25% resolution downsampling, meaning an internal rendering at 256 x 192 pixels stretched back up to fit. It looks ugly of course, but guess what? It ran at very acceptable framerates (always over 25 fps) on my crappy workhorse laptop equipped with an Intel Core i3 2266 Mhz and a Mobility Radeon 5145 that is normally grossly insufficient for any gaming need. That’s way below anything supposed to be able to run the game, let alone in a playable way. And it is actually very playable (you just have to squint a bit).

If you want to see it in motion you can check a video using the same settings by the German website PC Games Hardware, that managed to run the game at a framerate even better than mine on a Core i7-4770K with an Intel integrated graphics card.
    This option is actually possible with other games, but requires a rather laborious tweaking process on your video card drivers, while the Battlefield 4 beta has it out of the box in its internal settings, just a click away. And we already know that the option is going to be available on the retail version of the game as well.

The best thing? yesterday we learned that Electronic Arts is planning to implement the same option to more games based on the Frostbite 3 engine, so we might find it in further games likeDragon Age: Inquisition or the new Mirror’s Edge. To be completely honest, no PC game should ship without it, as its usefulness to the end user way outweighs the effort required to implement

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10/...cs-in-history/
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I messed with that setting and took these screens the other day
    It looks like win Quake.

Last edited by keefy; 10-03-2013 at 15:51.

Forum Sage
    this has nothing to do with the console versions, at all?

edit: It is really good what Dice have managed to create though.
    Last edited by BBK..; 10-03-2013 at 15:49.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post

Agreed, this is more PC related but definitely good to know they made this so customizable most people with any decent graphics card could play it no problem.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    daaaaaaaaaaaaamn!! how i miss Quake 3 era, when developers just did they work and not try to PR themselves in that way

El Presidente
    Hmm may consider getting for PC if I can scale it down to a playable level. Its nice they're thinking about their customers by doing this.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

7. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by FireSol View Post
    daaaaaaaaaaaaamn!! how i miss Quake 3 era, when developers just did they work and not try to PR themselves in that way
    Check my BF4 emblem on my profile

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4.../192597828/pc/

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Check my BF4 emblem on my profile
    sry, cant do that ))
    im not preorder it, and they no allow me to see other pkayer info

Forum Overseer
    too bad i'm going back to BF3 and i'm glad because i was kinda feeling sad that i didn't play the DLC enough. BF4 is too different. at this point, i'm not interested :S
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post

it has everything to do with the consoles.

PSN ID
    Loopoiu
    I'm so happy to see this can't wait to see that sky scraper fall In my bedroom :P

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    lol at dem pc graffix y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Supreme Veteran
    Erpy derp.

Yea me too I could play yesterday now it tells me I have to pre order. What th hell?

The emblem was the rail gun logo green wavy line with line through it.

Last edited by keefy; 10-04-2013 at 20:17.

PSN ID
    Risk_Two
    Now to buy me a 4k monitor

PSN ID
    psmove14

BF4 Beta looked horrible on my ps3

After seeing the amazing graphics and high-end visuals from all the bf4 trailers, my expectations were through the roof and quickly thrown to the floor with the BF4 Beta on ps3. The game looked almost pixelated, much worse than bf3. I think it's because this game is has been made for next-gen and ps3 just can't keep up. I'm definitely not buying BF4 on the ps3 and simply waiting for the ps4 version to come out where I can be sure the console can handle the graphics.

Forum Overseer
    totally agree. BF3 actually looks better than BF4 but BF3 beta looked bad too...considerably. so i'm hoping current gen gets the same texture patch. either way, it seems like they didn't even try for the current gen and i can't blame them. so many platforms to support, they're spreading thin with these cross-gen titles.
    Quote Originally Posted by psmove14 View Post
    After seeing the amazing graphics and high-end visuals from all the bf4 trailers, my expectations were through the roof and quickly thrown to the floor with the BF4 Beta on ps3. The game looked almost pixelated, much worse than bf3. I think it's because this game is has been made for next-gen and ps3 just can't keep up. I'm definitely not buying BF4 on the ps3 and simply waiting for the ps4 version to come out where I can be sure the console can handle the graphics.

Forum Sage
    Lets be honest. BF4 on the PS3/360 won't be a good BF experience. This title is only worth playing on PC/PS4/Xbone

Supreme Veteran
    I found a 26 player server and it was sparse, hardly anything going on.

Forum Overseer
    yea they didn't make this game with current gen consoles in mind. that level is lame with 24 players. that is, if there are 24 players playing. i bet it's more like 16-18 at any given time.

BF3 was much more tightly knitted, i guess because they knew most of the sales were going to be at 360/PS3 ports. now they know people will just upgrade or go PC.

going to go straight to BF4 on PS4 once i get it.

Supreme Veteran
    Regarding the looks I understand that th PS3 beta is around 1.5GB compare that to PC of 5.5GB you get why it looks so low res.
    They might have lowered the quality even more to allow for faster download.
    Last edited by keefy; 10-07-2013 at 17:37.

Forum Overseer
    yes, they did do that with the previous beta. but another problem is that i don't feel 24 player would be good this time. i actually didn't like some of the carnage with 24 players in BF3 and so i wasn't going to like 64 players there.
    Regarding the looks I understand that th PS3 beta is around 1.5GB,compare tht to PC of 5.5GB you get why it looks so low res.
    They might have lowered the quality even more to allow for faster download.

Veteran
    Well, after hearing all the crying and wringing of hands over how poorly the PS4 version compared to the PC version, it was a pleasant surprise to try the PS3 beta and be blown away by the opening sequence. It's not gameplay but it's like the main screen of Beyond: Two Souls, it is kind of mind-blowing the PS3 is showing graphics like that on my HDTV screen. And Beyond holds a very impressive level of realism down into the gameplay. BF4 is very playable on PS3, and the graphics aren't distractingly bad, which is the important thing. Only downloaded the PC version yesterday so I will have a direct comparison between PS3 and PC, for now. I know the PS4 will be somewhere in between and that is the one I will be getting for day one along with KZ:SF, going to be kind of a busy day.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Forum Overseer
    i'm getting mixed signals from your post. in one area, you're implying that this is one of the best-looking games on the PS3, no? but then you are saying that it's not distractingly bad? well which one is it?

also, it looks worse than BF3 at this point, so i don't know how your opinion is valid. it's a good-looking game but that's it, it's nothing ground-breaking, have you played GTA 5? this is a disgrace compared to that. but yea, they will probably patch this too once the game is out. it won't be that bad but this for some reason, even looks worse than BF3 beta for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    Well, after hearing all the crying and wringing of hands over how poorly the PS4 version compared to the PC version, it was a pleasant surprise to try the PS3 beta and be blown away by the opening sequence. It's not gameplay but it's like the main screen of Beyond: Two Souls, it is kind of mind-blowing the PS3 is showing graphics like that on my HDTV screen. And Beyond holds a very impressive level of realism down into the gameplay. BF4 is very playable on PS3, and the graphics aren't distractingly bad, which is the important thing. Only downloaded the PC version yesterday so I will have a direct comparison between PS3 and PC, for now. I know the PS4 will be somewhere in between and that is the one I will be getting for day one along with KZ:SF, going to be kind of a busy day.

Supreme Veteran
    The BF3 beta didn't have full graphics enabled on the PC so chill out about graphics. There are far more important things to worry about than "ooh shiney!"

When the building collapses it looks like its washed out Quake flat textures (I think its meant to be dust)

Apprentice

this topic title is so boss.

Apprentice
    Items Scarlett JohanssonGuerrilla GamesDice
    Definitely waiting for the PS4 version on this one.

Thread Information