Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Ancient
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    BF4 on current gen looks like PC with all settings off/low, and the thing is I downloaded the beta PC Ultra settings footage from gamersyde and it looks just like BF3 on PS3, minus a few better stuff which is expected, but this $#@! with BF4 don't even look like they've bothered.
    Its the worse looking game on PS3.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by TGO; 10-07-2013 at 23:51.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Veteran
    This is the beta and who knows how old it is. Now having direct gameplay comparison between the PS3 and a good gaming PC i7-3770/GTX670, my preference is for the PS3 version. There probably has to be a lot of optimization done but the PC version is really chugging at 1080p and all high settings. It doesn't look like a vast difference between the PS3 version and the PC version. The PC version is sharper and the textures are high res getting up close to them but not much difference from a distance. It takes quite awhile to load up to the menu screen with both but the PC has the Origin startup nonsense as well, adding many more seconds. Bottom line is the PS3 version is much more fun and jump into gameplay. The PS4 version will be the one to get.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Forum Overseer

your reasons are very specific and thus do not justify your conclusion except only for yourself. i could see it if you were talking about the PS4 version but we haven't seen that yet. you may find the PS3 version fun but there was nothing about it that i found fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    This is the beta and who knows how old it is. Now having direct gameplay comparison between the PS3 and a good gaming PC i7-3770/GTX670, my preference is for the PS3 version. There probably has to be a lot of optimization done but the PC version is really chugging at 1080p and all high settings. It doesn't look like a vast difference between the PS3 version and the PC version. The PC version is sharper and the textures are high res getting up close to them but not much difference from a distance. It takes quite awhile to load up to the menu screen with both but the PC has the Origin startup nonsense as well, adding many more seconds. Bottom line is the PS3 version is much more fun and jump into gameplay. The PS4 version will be the one to get.

Apprentice

man i just wanna run around in that battlefield and killin

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    your reasons are very specific and thus do not justify your conclusion except only for yourself. i could see it if you were talking about the PS4 version but we haven't seen that yet. you may find the PS3 version fun but there was nothing about it that i found fun.
    Sounds like you aren't finding much of any fun these days. The PC version was supposed to be the defining version and I found it lacking in performance and gameplay feeling. The PS3 gave me the console experience and it was fun. Considering there is no PS4 beta to evaluate, it is not a big inference to believe the PS4 version will provide the acceptable balance between gameplay and graphics with an uncomplicated hop in. I was expecting the PC version would be significantly more detailed but it isn't. Part of the problem here is that this is beta and may be something specific to Battlefield4, not any equivalency evaluation of the hardware platform.

I know the PS4 version is going to be considerably better than the PS3 version, and it is turning out the PC version isn't for me, so the decision has been simplified.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    Sounds like you aren't finding much of any fun these days. The PC version was supposed to be the defining version and I found it lacking in performance and gameplay feeling.
    as opposed to?
    The PS3 gave me the console experience and it was fun.
    relatively.
    Considering there is no PS4 beta to evaluate, it is not a big inference to believe the PS4 version will provide the acceptable balance between gameplay and graphics with an uncomplicated hop in.
    I can see that point of view.
    I was expecting the PC version would be significantly more detailed but it isn't.
    as opposed to...bf3? other games?
    Part of the problem here is that this is beta and may be something specific to Battlefield4, not any equivalency evaluation of the hardware platform.

I know the PS4 version is going to be considerably better than the PS3 version, and it is turning out the PC version isn't for me, so the decision has been simplified.
    BF4 beta isn't going to look like the final. they are likely going to update it with a texture patch like they did with the previous game.

i can't find this game fun without 64 players.

Forum Guru
    Really hope a dynamic resolution setting for final game.
    Certainly would be nice to know that game would run comfortably around 60fps or 40fps (on 120hz monitor) and game would tweak resolution to keep it so.
    IE.
    In simple scene you would get supersampling and better image quality, while in heavy fast paced fighting the resolution would dip down a little.
    -------
    Couple of nice blog posts about OpenGL.
    The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality
    Things that drive me nuts about OpenGL

Elite Sage
    All this talk about dynamic resolutions. Is it literally resolutions changing up and down on the fly? If that's what it is that sounds like it would be really annoying. Suddenly things getting bigger and smaller? No thanks.

Also, why would you want 40-60fps on a 120Hz screen? It'll be the same as a 60hz screen anyway? I've never noticed the difference between 60fps on a 60Hz screen and 60gfps on a 120Hz screen. Maybe my eyes aren't as good as I thought they were

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    All this talk about dynamic resolutions. Is it literally resolutions changing up and down on the fly? If that's what it is that sounds like it would be really annoying. Suddenly things getting bigger and smaller? No thanks.
    Resolution scaling, not a field of view.

Things would get slightly more coarse looking when resolution would get low and when GPU would have some free power to your wanted framerate you would get additional anti-aliasing. (it would look better.)
    Also, why would you want 40-60fps on a 120Hz screen? It'll be the same as a 60hz screen anyway? I've never noticed the difference between 60fps on a 60Hz screen and 60gfps on a 120Hz screen. Maybe my eyes aren't as good as I thought they were
    120hz adds new vsyncable refresh rates between every 60hz refresh rate.

60hz monitor can view following FPS with vsync. (image changes in every 16.66 ms.)
    60, 30, 20, 15, 12, 10, ~8,57, 7,5 and so on.

120hz monitor can view following fps with vsync. (image changes in every 8.33 ms.)
    120, 60, 40, 24, 20, ~17,14, 15, 13.33... and so on.

So you can set framerate to 40 fps and you get perfect new choice between 30 and 60fps if your GPU isn't quite strong enough.
    Also when framerate does drop from 60fps it most likely drops only to the 40fps not all the way to 30fps.

And yes, 40fps is the true midpoint between 30fps and 60fps. (fps not being linear scale and all..)
    -------
    Couple of nice blog posts about OpenGL.
    The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality
    Things that drive me nuts about OpenGL

10. Likes BBK.. likes this post
    Elite Sage
    i know that. But things in 720p look bigger than things in 1080p. That's what i meant will get annoying. Running around and things just change size. FoV is a whole nothing animal.

Ah i see. I never noticed that. I just set my refresh rate to 120Hz and leave it at that. I've never really liked V-Sync

Dedicated Member
    i know that. But things in 720p look bigger than things in 1080p. That's what i meant will get annoying. Running around and things just change size. FoV is a whole nothing animal.

Ah i see. I never noticed that. I just set my refresh rate to 120Hz and leave it at that. I've never really liked V-Sync
    Ok...think i know what your getting at now. When changing the res the UI elements and other parts of the game can change size on the screen. Games that would do a variable output res would have the UI elements on a separate locked res, while the game environment can change in the background. Also when we say dynamic its really only dipping down for a sec or 2 during intense parts of play. Or it could be how older games changing the resolution actually does show more or less of the game environment.

If this isn't what you mean then you're gonna have to provide an example :P

Superior Member
    I sure hope we can come back to threads like these after the game is out. You know, when we're not playing a beta.

Just like BF3 beta, it was awful...then the final game came out. Sure it had some issues here and there, but compare platforms if you must next month. Anyone that's been around long enough will know the PC version will spank current and next gen on the finished product.

Some, won't care, some will deny it, some honestly can't tell a difference (right lol) and some don't fully understand differences, such as 720p vs 1080p. The latter having more than double the pixels.

With that said, I'm going PS3/PS4. Regardless of PC's superior graphics, I'm rather enjoying the social aspect and building a friends list I can enjoy some teamwork with.

Forum Overseer

not sure it will be spanking next-gen consoles. there's not going to be a huge difference that you'd see from PS3 to PC. do remember that BF3 came out at the later cycle of the current gen consoles so it's not difficult to understand why there was such a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousBOB View Post
    I sure hope we can come back to threads like these after the game is out. You know, when we're not playing a beta.

Just like BF3 beta, it was awful...then the final game came out. Sure it had some issues here and there, but compare platforms if you must next month. Anyone that's been around long enough will know the PC version will spank current and next gen on the finished product.

Some, won't care, some will deny it, some honestly can't tell a difference (right lol) and some don't fully understand differences, such as 720p vs 1080p. The latter having more than double the pixels.

With that said, I'm going PS3/PS4. Regardless of PC's superior graphics, I'm rather enjoying the social aspect and building a friends list I can enjoy some teamwork with.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    not sure it will be spanking next-gen consoles. there's not going to be a huge difference that you'd see from PS3 to PC. do remember that BF3 came out at the later cycle of the current gen consoles so it's not difficult to understand why there was such a difference.
    Sufi, was that a typo? Or did you actually mean actually there won't be a hugh difference between ps3 and pc?

Forum Overseer

hah, i didn't put it correctly. i meant to say that the difference we saw from PS3 to PC on BF3, wouldn't be as much as PS4 to PC with the BF4. sometimes my words are easy to mix up.
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousBOB View Post
    Sufi, was that a typo? Or did you actually mean actually there won't be a hugh difference between ps3 and pc?

Thread Information