Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant

Considering buying the game but a few questions first

Hey guys, my PS3 gave me the dreaded YLOD finally, and I am finding myself without games to play (besides handheld games which I'm just not in the mood for). Fortunately, I have a powerful gaming PC rig set up that scoff's at most system specs, so PC games are always available. Now, anyone who has seen my activity in say, the past 6 years or so, will know that I am a massive Final Fantasy fan (though I admit, I never played beyond reaching level 8 in FFXI - free trial). So, without a PS3 to play games on, I'm considering getting FFXIV, but I have several, very strong reservations.

1. The game's getting great reviews, but when I was in the beta, I really disliked the auto-attack, or what seemed to be a lack of it. I would like to know if the auto attack feature actually feels automatic now, or if it still feels pretty weird.

2. I'm assuming the game now has voice acting?

3. How many people still play the game (and on the forums)? I would rather play the game with other people.

4. According to what I have read, there are some story-line dungeon quests (and soon to be existent party-boot options complicates this) and I want to know how possible it is to get players to help with the story aspect of the dungeons. Let me explain: I was a huge fan of Guild Wars 2, but I ended up quitting the game near the end of the main story ( I was a level 80 ranger) because no one played the story-line missions in the dungeons (dungeons had story-line mode, or a dungeon crawling mode for great gear) and I refused to play the game without learning the full story. I wanna make sure I can actually see the whole story. Story is a major part of any game to me, so if its possible I may not be able to complete some of it, I will never consider getting the game again.

5. More of a personal thing, but I've never played a subscription based MMO. I just don't like supporting it. With the PS4's mandatory PS+ for online play, however, my perspective on the issue is slowly changing. Still, right now I can only see myself buying and playing the game for 3 months, (approximately $60.00 after purchase and monthly fees - so on par with a new console game) unless the game manages to impress me enough. And it would have to be pretty darn good for that to happen.

Anyways, I suppose it really boils down to: How large is the overall user base, and how accepting of low level characters (and people who are new to MMO's) are they. Would there be a steady supply of people in all zones, or is it just high level characters now, leaving the rest of the world map empty? Thanks to anyone who answers one, multiple, or even all of these questions of mine. I want to play the game, but frankly, an MMO is an online experience meaning that player interaction should be prevalent, and I am well aware that such a thing has become highly complicated in other MMO's, if not nearly impossible for new players with no connections (and especially no real idea on how to effectively play an MMO due to lack of experience, such as myself).
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

Asset Manager
    PSN ID
    avecha
    Items Lightning
    Well i am stuck on a 44 story mission and i have almost got my character to 50. People help when they want.
    A lot of people play it and now that subs are in, a lot of $#@!head players will leave.
    Don't be scared of the vote kick they are implementing. People are making it sound worse then what it is. They are also adding a duty finder reward system as well.

Parts of the game has voice acting.

There will always be new players. Whether it's new to the game or someone leveling up a new character so i wouldn't worry about that.

A lot of us on the forums play the game. A lot of us that play the game don't post on the forums.
    I'm slowly dismissing awol players from the FC but we are recruiting more as time goes on.

Hope my disjointed answer helps.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by avecha View Post
    Well i am stuck on a 44 story mission and i have almost got my character to 50. People help when they want.
    You on garuda or something? There uave been times I am on and so are you and I ask if anyone needs help but no one says anything.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    Alright, so, what I'm getting then is that the community is relatively accepting of low level characters, and getting help on things isn't going to be all that hard if needed? I just don't want to see another Guild Wars I (where low level characters were ignored - at least before the expansion packs) or GW2, where help was impossible to find when needed to accomplish the story. Also, what server is the forums using, as I will certainly apply for the clan if I get the game (or is it easy to switch a character to a different server?)
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Azimuth85
    Items Iron MaidenFinal Fantasy TacticsJoker (limited ICON)Baby ChocoboLightning
    Were using Ultros. Its actually not bad to level up to get to 50 if you do the story line and focus your efforts. It's an amazing game

PSN ID : Azimuth85

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth85 View Post
    Were using Ultros. Its actually not bad to level up to get to 50 if you do the story line and focus your efforts. It's an amazing game
    I have no issue with levling myself up to level 50. If I do get the game I plan to. I just want to make sure the game hasn't turned into an exclusive set, where certain classes are shunned, or where players refuse to interact with weaker characters as I have seen happen in several different MMO's. My favorite thing about an MMO, at least the ones I played, is that wherever I went, there were other players around working together, just randomly. Nothing to do with guilds anything like that (though don't get me wrong, I'd love to join a guild and do some bigger missions).
    -FatesServant

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    Update: Game Purchased. I look forward to playing with everyone at some point in the future.
    -FatesServant

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Great! What's your game name?

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Great! What's your game name?
    Thanks for the welcome Ghost! I gotta admit, I'm addicted, and I've only had the game for a few days. Honestly one of my favorite parts so far has been helping a character about half my level power through a few of her quests (wasn't asked to, I was just goofing off and saw her fighting enemies about 4 levels tougher than her).

Anyways, onto the main point: My character's name is Nohvin Kyrvoln. Level 17 Lancer, 5 GLA, 5 Pugilist, 5 Leather worker, 3(?) Botanist, 1 weaver class thing, and I think that's it. I'm focusing on Lancer for sure though. I'll be applying to the guild soon, so long as you all are accepting new recruits.
    -FatesServant

Asset Manager
    PSN ID
    avecha
    Items Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by FatesServant View Post
    Thanks for the welcome Ghost! I gotta admit, I'm addicted, and I've only had the game for a few days. Honestly one of my favorite parts so far has been helping a character about half my level power through a few of her quests (wasn't asked to, I was just goofing off and saw her fighting enemies about 4 levels tougher than her).

Anyways, onto the main point: My character's name is Nohvin Kyrvoln. Level 17 Lancer, 5 GLA, 5 Pugilist, 5 Leather worker, 3(?) Botanist, 1 weaver class thing, and I think that's it. I'm focusing on Lancer for sure though. I'll be applying to the guild soon, so long as you all are accepting new recruits.
    -FatesServant
    Everyone is welcome to join. Always accepting.

Thread Information