Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style

PS4 hands on. This could be the best console ever.

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2....html?spref=fb

In the lead up to the EB Games Expo, Sony held a media event to give journalists time with the PlayStation 4 and Vita consoles before tomorrow's inevitable hours-long lines (thanks for that, Sony!). Having finally had the chance to have some hands-on time with the console, I am now convinced that not only is Sony is on to a winner, but it has produced a console with the potential to legitimately take over the PlayStation 2 as the best console ever made.

The most obvious bit first - ignoring specific technical specs, PlayStation 4 games objectively look better than PlayStation 3 games. The effect is often subtle - better reflections and more dynamic environments for instance, but after moving from Drive Club, a launch PS4 game, to Gran Turismo 6, a end-life PS3 game, it's obvious that the PS4 is objectively (much) more powerful. The real question we need to figure out moving forward is whether people will care about these enhancements en masse, but I am inclined to think they will because while a screenshot comparison between the PS3 and PS4 might not look like the kind of enhancements we saw from PS2 to PS3, in action they certainly feel significant. All Sony needs to do is get people to play its games. Enter shows like EB Games Expo.

I'm going to apply this line of argument to the controller too; while the new controller looks like a slightly-enhanced PS3 Dualshock, in practice it feels like next-gen tech, and that's before I've played any games that make use of its more "new" features like the touch panel. The ribs on the control sticks help with preventing slips in a competitive game like Killzone, and while I was initially confused by the lack of the Start button, and wasn't able to test out the share button, every game I played seemed to work fine with the new configurations.

But what left me really excited from my time with the PlayStation 4 was the range of games that Sony is cultivating. This is a company that, at its most important show for the year in Australia, has given valuable floorspace to indie developer Nnooo to show off Blast 'Em Bunnies (spoiler alert for my upcoming preview - it's awesome). Sure Killzone was there being the Call of Duty rival that Sony wants it to be, but there was also Drive Club, and Knack, and we know that the Japanese developers are on board with the console. Sony has proven, yet again, that it is genuinely interested in engaging with third parties and indie developers, and I think this is going to be telling with the console's fortunes moving forwards.

I could also see Sony's current philosophy to games playing out in the PS3 and Vita stands that it has set up for the show. On the PS3 there was everything from Beyond: Two Souls to Gran Turismo 6 and indie masterpiece Rain. On the Vita there was Tearaway, Batman and Killzone. Sony, more than any other game publisher out there, genuinely cares about providing players with a range of different experiences, and as someone who loves the games industry, this resonated with me. I suspect that as the mass market grows increasingly tired with the generic titles that AAA-development throw out, that the broader audience that Sony is catering to will resonate with a critical mass.

I was already keen on the PS4 before I went along to this preview event. Now I am absolutely convinced that unless some kind of catastrophe strikes, it will be a legitimate contender for the greatest console ever.
    can't wait to get my hands on this console. We have a month in a half until the PS4 releases.

2. Likes DarkNemesis, IWAO, MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I can't wait to get my hands on the system either, I know PS4 kiosks are bound to start popping up very soon, but I am going to refrain from playing them, I want my hands to lose their PS4 virginity on Nov. 15th!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

4. Likes DarkNemesis, Demi_God likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I can't wait to get my hands on the system either, I know PS4 kiosks are bound to start popping up very soon, but I am going to refrain from playing them, I want my hands to lose their PS4 virginity on Nov. 15th!
    My preorder is with Amazon, i'm still hoping for some Nov 14th or 13th action

6. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Forum Sage

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Until the PS5 gets called the best console ever :P

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Amazon here as well. This will be an epic November.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    My preorder is with Amazon, i'm still hoping for some Nov 14th or 13th action
    You will have to tell us if you end up getting it earlier! I took the 15th off along with my nephew, it is going to be an all day gaming fest that day at my house! Guess we will have to try out the double login ability of the console and play Battlefield 4 together on split screen under our separate logins using the PS4 Eye to track which controller we are using!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Yeah I was reading this article the other day and it seems that this guy thinks that Sony has gone back to the PS2 days; and in honest opinion, if you look at how the media has been reacting to this console, it looks like they have. Seriously, when was the last time retailers, journalist, and consumers have been this happy or excited about a console?

11. Likes IWAO, PhillyPhreak, darky89 likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Microsoft is launching an assisted sales program through one of my old employers competitors. Looks like it launches IMMEDIATELY, so I know the XBONE demo's must be due in store here in the states immediately. (Mosaic is the company if you want to look it up)

I still know people at SONY and haven't heard that they are launching one internally, but, they might just hire some people to demo the PS4 in the states too to offset the IN STORE presence of XBOX Reps. The problem is, that, this strategy WILL WORK for Microsoft. An 'expert' standing there showing it off will put a positive spin on the product and boost sales.
    My guess is they will insinuate the following:

It comes with more features including NFL TV and Live TV apps because it can control your TV (nevermind that it doesn't replace your cable box!).
    It comes with the camera, doesn't ask you to buy it later, by guaranteeing the camera is in the box, every game gets voice control and you can appear in any game, which more games will feature since it's in every home.
    It costs more so OFCOURSE it's the leading next generation system, you know, you get what you paid for.
    TITANFALL (which i guess will be the main demo) is exclusive to the system, and Halo will be coming next year, etc...
    ALL OF OUR GAMES ARE ... AAA Big publisher titles, SONY is counting a bunch of small independent download titles that just aren't , you know, real games, in their count of how many games they have.

That and more, i know they will dream up a bunch of talking points for the reps. As much as I used to do the same, I was lucky that at least the companies I worked for were also offering compelling products. My company wasn't perfect at all, very imperfect, but, at least the owner always preferred to be pushing a product that should be leading due to it's quality.
    I'm not certain i feel that way about XBOX One when the PS4 is what it is: Cheaper, faster, HAS the Gaikai Cloud for backward compatibility, and, your crazy if you don't think SONY is going to leverage it for PS4 games as well, they just don't see it as something they needed to come out and overtly say. And, as many previews i'm seeing that game reviewers are saying the Kinect 2 isn't living up to the HYPE that Microsoft has been handing out, the more i'm glad SONY hasn't MADE US pay more.

Dedicated Member
    OUCH, this doesn't sound good for XBO
    http://pixelenemy.com/battlefield-4-...hown-in-video/

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    The only thing I would fix in that speech is that Titan Fall will also be out next year, other than that I see where you are coming from.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
    The only thing I would fix in that speech is that Titan Fall will also be out next year, other than that I see where you are coming from.
    It's that far back? Wow, then all they really have is Forza, rofl... because RYSE isn't impressing me.
    Oh well.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    You will have to tell us if you end up getting it earlier! I took the 15th off along with my nephew, it is going to be an all day gaming fest that day at my house! Guess we will have to try out the double login ability of the console and play Battlefield 4 together on split screen under our separate logins using the PS4 Eye to track which controller we are using!
    I'm just hopeful, lol. It serves no purpose if i get it early. I'm just thinking about all those machines that have to be shipped to arrive ON the 15th, HOPING

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    It's that far back? Wow, then all they really have is Forza, rofl... because RYSE isn't impressing me.
    Oh well.
    Forza, Ryse and Dead Rising 3

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Eh, Dead Rising 3 is about the only X1 game I wish PS4 had.. and I hated all the other Dead Rising games immensely.
    (To be fair though I hate racing games, I dont understand the Ryse hype, and I dislike games that center around vehicles - they always piss me off in BattleField. I ould lose my $#@! over those Titans lol)

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Extreme Poster
    "PlayStation 4 games objectively look better than PlayStation 3 games"

whew, alright! let's bring it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    "PlayStation 4 games objectively look better than PlayStation 3 games"
    whats "objectively" supposed to mean

PSN ID
    DaGrandMastah
    Damn....november can't come any sooner. Can't freakin wait for that date. I think it's just gonna be a great week leading up to that Friday...gonna be on Cloud 9 knwoing it's on it's way.

PSN ID
    Avenger54321
    Wow, just a month and a half left (or a month and eleven days). Seems like everyday is longer than the last. I hope my mind, and body, can handle all of the hype on the day before launch.
    I don't know what I want to put here yet

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGrandMastah View Post
    Damn....november can't come any sooner. Can't freakin wait for that date. I think it's just gonna be a great week leading up to that Friday...gonna be on Cloud 9 knwoing it's on it's way.
    Considering calling out "sick" from work a couple of days during the week of the PS4 release ..

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by archie123 View Post
    whats "objectively" supposed to mean
    without a bias.

but that's a given, i just found it funny that he compared it to current gen. obviously it's going to be better-looking.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Ariakace55
    I do like how he explained that while graphically, it wasnt the same leap as PS2 to PS3. The last of us still looks amazing and thats another end of cycle PS3 game. But this gives credence to what i suspected, is that games will look better, but will perform far better as a whole. I'm far less concerned about how games will look on next gen consoles, i know theyll look better, and launch titles are the "Ugly" games companies put out when they havent fully realized the power of the systems. For that, im excited for the games well be playing in 3-4 years. I think then is probably when well see games truely utilizing the raw horsepower of the PS4 and XB1.

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum. Ive got a shitload of bubble gum"

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AverageNinjaNL
    If there's a steam machine for around 400 with decent specs, I'm getting that because during this summer sale I bought some games my pc can't even run (GTA IV, Bastion), so I want to play those. Though if it's a lot more expensive, I'm getting a PS4 for sure! Been a Sony guy since the PS2, and I'll stay that way

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    I can't wait for PS4. I was excited that I got my pre order back in June, but now as launch looms closer I find myself literally counting down the days like a kid does at Christmas time. Man I can't wait....

28. Likes TEST SUBJECT 83 likes this post
    PSN ID
    kidhero99
    OT: yes, sony is just doing every thing right with ps4
    with pretty much nothing to complain about
    it's going to be a very awesome beastly machine

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Oh well.
    Sad to say it is and many that are not informed do not realize this either; reason why this system is gaining so much positive traction as of late. Nothing wrong with that but I just hate how when Sony does something like this they get ridiculed but MS doesn't. That is my opinion of what I see or read across the internet.

Thread Information