Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    RAM isn't as precious on PCs as it is on consoles. RAM is easily upgraded.

Extreme Poster
    the idea is to keep the costs down but i suppose they'll let you upgrade it.

in general though, the way RAM is used on PCs, the issue is that there's not much point in having a lot because your GPU isn't using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    RAM isn't as precious on PCs as it is on consoles. RAM is easily upgraded.

Power Member
    The OS is free. You could download it and use it on your current computer.
    Last edited by keefy; 10-07-2013 at 15:30.

Extreme Poster
    yea, someone quoted them on that earlier. i mean, in case if someone wants to buy the box. i bet they'll tell you that "this is recommended" as in a particular GPU.
    The OS is free. You can download it and use it on your current computer.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Sounds good but will be expensive. I won't be needing it because I already have a very powerful gaming PC.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Well if I was to build it myself out of similar components I would have (using Overclockers UK):
    Code:
    CPU:    Intel i5-4570 (1050)        150
    GPU:    Gainward GTX660 2GB        144
    PSU:    Antec VP450P 80+ (450W)        40
    RAM:    Kingston HyperX (2x8GB)        100
    SSHD:    Seagate SSHD 1TB/8GB        72
    Mobo:    Asus H81I-Plus (1150)        69
    Case:    Silverstone SST-PT13B        44
    ============================================
    Total                    619
    Of course if you shop around you can easily slash off a good 50 but these components are selected from the minimum speck listed in the OP. If I was to go an Intel i3 (1155) I can get the mobo 20 cheaper, the processor 50 cheaper, and 16GB isn't necessary yet so 8GB for 50 cheaper so for 499 just from getting components only from Overclockers UK is a system that could play a lot of games at max. Again if I shop around I could probably get it under the 470 mark. This is also a setup that's smaller than the SteamBox.
    let's say that the lowest spec = 500 Pounds = 550 $ or little more. How many people willing to pay that for such low specs just to plat on their TV's ?

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    yea, someone quoted them on that earlier. i mean, in case if someone wants to buy the box. i bet they'll tell you that "this is recommended" as in a particular GPU.
    Well you'll only want to have an Nvidia GPU on Linux anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    let's say that the lowest spec = 500 Pounds = 550 $ or little more. How many people willing to pay that for such low specs just to plat on their TV's ?
    So for an extra 100 you get nothing behind a paywall and games are often 20% cheaper at release and tend to cost a fraction of the cost after being out for a long time, oh and the games on Linux don't have backwards compatibility issues like Windows does.

Oh and you could probably get more than 50 games for the price of 100. I don't think you can do that on a console.

Extreme Poster
    i highly doubt it will be more expensive than getting a windows-based computer with the same specs. unless of course you build it yourself, but i still can't say because we don't know the price yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Sounds good but will be expensive. I won't be needing it because I already have a very powerful gaming PC.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AverageNinjaNL
    If valve is getting it mass produced, it might even be a little bit cheaper than building yourself, though I doubt it.
    For me it depends on the price, I wouldn't pay more than 500 for a console that doesn't use discs (I love boxed copies, so all digital is a con for me)

Extreme Poster
    it might be, but their stuff might be generic except the GPU of course. they should do it this way, in every business' success, you always have to start out with casuals and then move up. i feel like the market is there for casuals, not necessarily enthusiasts. because buying a game box is not what PC gaming is all about. half of the fun is choosing the specs you want to go with and how that would either save you money or give you best bang for your buck. enthusiasts wouldn't be interested in this.
    Quote Originally Posted by AverageNinja View Post
    If valve is getting it mass produced, it might even be a little bit cheaper than building yourself, though I doubt it.
    For me it depends on the price, I wouldn't pay more than €500 for a console that doesn't use discs (I love boxed copies, so all digital is a con for me)

Power Member
    For me it depends on the price, I wouldn't pay more than €500 for a console that doesn't use discs (I love boxed copies, so all digital is a con for me)
    PC gaming has been shifting away from physical for years. You never need to have the disc in the drive anymore also with Steam and Origin if you buy a game on disc you register it to your account and that is it, no need for the disc, it just lives on your shelf collecting dust and taking up space.
    Last edited by keefy; 10-07-2013 at 20:29.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AverageNinjaNL

Valve's 300 prototype specs out (Steambox)

That's absolutely right! Though the Steam Box is all about customisation too, so I doubt it's really for casuals. I think valve should release some barebones, with only a case, PSU, motherboard. That way you have the base products and you can choose the Cpu, GPU, RAM and such yourself

EDIT: @keefy, I know, but my inner collector likes it when I get home with a boxed copy, take it out of the plastic bag, get the box to my nose, sniff, and breath out deeply

Extreme Poster
    PC gaming has been shifting away from physical for years. You never need to have the disc in the drive anymore also with Steam and Origin you register the game to the account and that is it, no need for the disc, it just lives on your shelf collecting dust.

The disc is just a transportation device, its the code on the disc that matters. I honestly do not get the sentimentality some people have with a round shiny object and have to put them on shelves.
    That's absolutely right! Though the Steam Box is all about customisation too, so I doubt it's really for casuals. I think valve should release some barebones, with only a case, PSU, motherboard. That way you have the base products and you can choose the Cpu, GPU, RAM and such yourself
    yea and i don't know why they're doing that. i honestly see it being only better if it's one spec or that you can swap out with certain chosen things. they can't force devs to just support those certain SKUs so i get it...but i think in a way that might be because this is linux-based. i don't know, we'd have to see more of it to really understand their focus.

but the best way to do it would be to eventually force the devs to focus on a few multiple configs to reduce costs for everyone. if they let us make this thing from barebones, i'm not seeing what makes this different from just building your own linux-based PC.

two things they need: 1) mass production to keep costs lower than building it yourself and hassle of building. 2) keep SKUs limited, don't let too much customizations.

going with linux is the biggest step and advantage imo.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AverageNinjaNL
    ^^ But Valve wants to make Steam OS downloadable for every PC, wouldn't limiting the SKU's kill that whole idea of Steam OS being a stand alone piece of software too? I'd love to dual boot my PC with windows 7 and steam OS (though I have a very outdated pc from 2003 which lags with Gary's Mod @ 480p. And I'm not even joking)

Extreme Poster
    you're right. but i guess they don't want to do anything drastic. this way, people can try it out. it still isn't going to be a big deal until they make it to where it's exclusive to their boxes. but not like how google OS is like where it's an arbitrary lock. i'd want them to have their own developer support that only makes the games for linux and that work best on steam boxes.

i believe that is where they will want to go but they are starting out with more support but when your support is too widespread, you lose the advantages that can be made by specialization/focus. i understand the move but i doubt it will be a permanent one. this is just to give the thing a push. they want people to try it out. at the same time, i would not expect anything amazing yet either other than just better-running games.

maybe that's all they want anyway? oh wait, right, makes sense...this way the whole thing is based around steam...yea, maybe they aren't going too specific because then they won't have as much developer support. so all developers need to do is make games that are "also" supportive of steam OS and so you are guaranteed a faster performing build for the same price.[

sorry if i'm rambling too much.
    ^^ But Valve wants to make Steam OS downloadable for every PC, wouldn't limiting the SKU's kill that whole idea of Steam OS being a stand alone piece of software too? I'd love to dual boot my PC with windows 7 and steam OS (though I have a very outdated pc from 2003 which lags with Gary's Mod @ 480p. And I'm not even joking)
    lol @ 480p.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AverageNinjaNL
    ^^ yeah you're right, Valve will probably make it steam box exclusive after a while, and even if they don't, they might make a few configs (like Intel/NVIDIA) better than other configs (full AMD)
    Only time will tell I guess
    And yeah I know about my pc I wish I could participate in the Steam Machine beta, but I don't have a gamepad and/or a TV I can play on D:

Thread Information