Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

Mentally Ill Woman Attacks the Capitol

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/04/politi...html?hpt=hp_c2

Washington (CNN) -- Authorities searching the home of a Connecticut woman who rammed barricades and led police on a chase near the U.S. Capitol found discharge papers from a 2012 mental health evaluation that listed prescriptions to treat schizophrenia and other mental disorders, a law enforcement source briefed on the investigation said Friday.
    The woman, identified by law enforcement sources as Miriam Carey, 34, died after police shot her.

Earlier, sources said investigators found medications, but that proved later not to be accurate.
    Carey's boyfriend told police in December that she appeared to be delusional, believing that President Barack Obama had placed Stamford, Connecticut, where they lived, under lockdown and that her home was under electronic surveillance, a law enforcement source involved in the investigation said.

Thursday's incident played out in one of the most heavily policed places in the world, temporarily locked down Congress and sparked anxiety among tourists and staffers alike.

Police say Carey rammed barricades and police cruisers -- actions Washington police Chief Cathy Lanier said appeared deliberate -- and sped down Pennsylvania Avenue before crashing. Two law enforcement officers were injured, and officers shot her to end the incident.

Carey apparently did not have a weapon, but did have a 1-year-old girl in the car with her. The child -- Carey's daughter -- survived the chaos unharmed, officials said.
    I feel for her AND her child.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I don't feel for her. She's dead. I feel bad her child had to be with someone like that.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Tragic story. So sad she had to die that way.

Unbound Mercenary
    Very tragic for the child. Honestly, I'm surprised that the woman lasted as long as she did. It seems like law enforcement would be able to have taken the van down quicker.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    If she was that mentally ill where was the health care support for her?
    You guys need Obama Care.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Not sure how obama care could have prevented this - she just went nuts and comitted suicide with her baby on board

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    Not sure how obama care could have prevented this - she just went nuts and comitted suicide with her baby on board
    The new health care law could have prevented this. Mental illnesses need a lot of treatment and people need to be screened to find them. If those people had coverage, they could get screened and have their condition medicated.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    The new health care law could have prevented this. Mental illnesses need a lot of treatment and people need to be screened to find them. If those people had coverage, they could get screened and have their condition medicated.
    Have you checked the website to see the health care prices. They just as expensive as other companies. Obamacare juat forces you to get and pay extra for buyin health equipment to.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

9. Likes F34R likes this post
    Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Yeah maybe but how do you find the ones wh9 need such a treatment or medications!? As far as I'm concerned everyone's responsible for his/her own actions... You just can't screen every citizen for mental illnesses 24/7...

Tapatalkin'

11. Likes F34R likes this post
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    Have you checked the website to see the health care prices. They just as expensive as other companies. Obamacare juat forces you to get and pay extra for buyin health equipment to.
    There's a lot that goes into this. From what I understand, the companies are competing with one another and you can choose the cheapest one. Then the law helps out those with pre existing conditions.

With the new health care law, people with depression or bipolar can get diagnosed and start treatment. They can feel better.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Yeah maybe but how do you find the ones wh9 need such a treatment or medications!? As far as I'm concerned everyone's responsible for his/her own actions... You just can't screen every citizen for mental illnesses 24/7...

Tapatalkin'
    very true. In most cases like this there is always someone who knows or knew the person had mental issues but they underestimate the seriousness of it. In this case her boyfriend said he thought she was having a mental breakdown but he really didn't do what he should of done.

Veteran

Tapatalkin'
    That's true, but people show signs of mental illness. Other doctors can see it and refer them. So if a patient has diabetes and didn't know it, the optometrist can find it by examining their eyes and can refer them to get help. It works similar with mental illness.

However, if they find a person has depression or bipolar but do not have the insurance to cover it, what does that person do? The new health care law helps that person out.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Really, the one big thing about Obamacare that is bad is the financial side of it. There are a lot of good things that were implemented, but the financial side of it is horse $#@!.

As far as the mentally ill... getting help is the smallest piece of the puzzle. I have been dealing with these people for more than a decade, and ALL are being treated by the government. For instance, the government is paying all their medical expenses right now, and has been since I've met these people.

The real life side of it is, unless they are confined, the only thing the government can do is pay for their treatment. That's it. They can't monitor them and make sure they take their meds, etc. This is how it is in real life. Talking about it on the forums, and almost pretending like it's going to help is just a fantasy.
    Last edited by F34R; 10-05-2013 at 21:00.

PSN ID
    Captobvious75
    Its capitalist America. You can't afford to see a psych, then too bad. I'm frankly surprised this doesn't happen more often

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Captobvious75 View Post
    Its capitalist America. You can't afford to see a psych, then too bad. I'm frankly surprised this doesn't happen more often

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    Exactly. How does someone that is mentally ill, that isn't seeing doctors, doesn't participate in society, how do they make them get help? How do you make anyone get help? Someone else has to do it.

CA, trust me.. a lot happens every day. It's the wtf moments like this case that aren't seen as much. It takes something so serious for it to make the news. The reality of this is that it wasn't too serious. It just had "government" involved.

Extreme Poster
    well, from the stories i've heard, it seems like people are getting cheaper rates...the ones that already had a medical condition. we won't really know the truth until we have the numbers.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    well, from the stories i've heard, it seems like people are getting cheaper rates...the ones that already had a medical condition. we won't really know the truth until we have the numbers.
    There is a breakdown, let me find it....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapoth...single-digits/

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Really, the one big thing about Obamacare that is bad is the financial side of it. There are a lot of good things that were implemented, but the financial side of it is horse $#@!.

As far as the mentally ill... getting help is the smallest piece of the puzzle. I have been dealing with these people for more than a decade, and ALL are being treated by the government. For instance, the government is paying all their medical expenses right now, and has been since I've met these people.

The real life side of it is, unless they are confined, the only thing the government can do is pay for their treatment. That's it. They can't monitor them and make sure they take their meds, etc. This is how it is in real life. Talking about it on the forums, and almost pretending like it's going to help is just a fantasy.
    I happen to know people in real life who can't get help. It's not really a fantasy, but what you are saying is true. Even when they do get help, it's up to family and friends to make sure the person stays medicated.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    There is a breakdown, let me find it....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapoth...single-digits/
    that's the thing, all i'm hearing is that Obamacare is going to raise premiums, i get that but then who are these people that are getting better rates? these are predictions, we're going to have to see actual numbers in the next coming months.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    She did not deserve to die
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    that's the sad part, at the point this lady was, she is a threat and there are certain measures that are to be taken when someone is perceived as a threat. it's not always right but to the extent things can get, the laws are there to protect aggression towards a perceived threat that could potentially be dangerous to others.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Death by police was not what she was seeking
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Who said she did deserved to die.
    Death by police was not what she was seeking
    You know this how?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Come on friend... It has been all spin in a direction that suits the easy way out for everyone to say

She deserved to die and by the barrel of a polices gun... But there has to be more to this

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Come on friend... It has been all spin in a direction that suits the easy way out for everyone to say

She deserved to die and by the barrel of a polices gun... But there has to be more to this
    I haven't seen a single line from anyone, or heard anything on any news feed saying that she DESERVED to die.

I think you're using "deserved" in the wrong context. Do you mean they shouldn't have shot at her?

Thread Information