Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    my comment was general. but i think we may be associating their general nationalism with what i said.

if americans made the best electronics, you would also see americans saying that they only buy american products because they're american. they may not understand that they just make the best products.

if they really were that nationalist, why would they buy iPods over the walkmans? iPhones are also doing very well in Japan but we all know why Samsung is winning overall in these places, it has nothing to do with nationalism.

you guys have no idea how popular japanese electronics are in other countries. growing up in pakistan, we didn't buy anything non-japanese. i'm sure chinese products have taken over there but we had everything Sony/Hitachi/Panasonic etc.

if the japanese didn't make the best products, they wouldn't buy their own products.
    Not just iphones....American clothes, fashion, movies and music are a few of the exceptions to the rule. Certainly not the norm across products in general. But as a general rule they have been biased beyond build quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    Lol calling japanese nationalist? they have a diffrent taste, calling this nationalist is plain wrong. I guess nowadays picking RPG over FPS is a crime.
    You obviously don't know the history of Japan's trade laws. They have a long history of unfair, protectionist trade policies that clearly gave the Japanese companies an advantage. That came from a nationalist mindset of their people, not just their politicians.

The biggest court case that made headlines I can remember was when Kodak sued Fuji film back in the 1980s. What film Kodak got into Japan was purposely being put in the worst spots of a store that were so bad, most people missed them. They also in a lot of cases would keep them behind the counter and out of sight so people didn't even know they sold it. You had to ask to even get it.

They have loosened up somewhat since then, but it's definitely still an issue to this day.

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Not just iphones....American clothes, fashion, movies and music are a few of the exceptions to the rule. Certainly not the norm across products in general. But as a general rule they have been biased beyond build quality.
    based on...

You obviously don't know the history of Japan's trade laws. They have a long history of unfair, protectionist trade policies that clearly gave the Japanese companies an advantage. That came from a nationalist mindset of their people, not just their politicians.
    ok 1) you don't know that it came from their people, 2) if you're talking about the car industry, that's silly because US had tariffs too and still do. it's nothing new.

The biggest court case that made headlines I can remember was when Kodak sued Fuji film back in the 1980s. What film Kodak got into Japan was purposely being put in the worst spots of a store that were so bad, most people missed them. They also in a lot of cases would keep them behind the counter and out of sight so people didn't even know they sold it. You had to ask to even get it.
    link please, i'd like to read it myself.
    They have loosened up somewhat since then, but it's definitely still an issue to this day.
    lol...if you're talking about nationalism, don't go further than the U.S. if the U.S. could make people buy "made in U.S." products, it would...of course that would be unconstitutional and American products don't last as long in general. otherwise, i've seen plenty of effort here as well.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    They are not buying consoles for cod and fifa, they are real gamers.
    Exactly they're into storytelling, magic, colourful visuals, fighting games that look graceful almost like an art form ahhh martial arts.
    dancing games, arcade games JAPAN love fun games, they want games to be games not be full of realism or violence.

Quote Originally Posted by kidhero99 View Post
    Yet the vita and the wii u says otherwise
    that's because the 3DS is the superior product at the moment, don't think I'll ever buy one though.

People don't say the Wii U is a failure, Nintendo has sold 4.8 million systems in just under a year by some standards that's bad but just under 5 mill is still good, it's an established number it means there's a little more than just launch interest by consumers.

Just wait for Mario Kart U to come out next April then we will see some more numbers
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    based on...

Based on articles I've read on the subject in the past and also I have friends that lived and worked there (also fluent in Japanese) and told me about their culture and mindset.

ok 1) you don't know that it came from their people, 2) if you're talking about the car industry, that's silly because US had tariffs too and still do. it's nothing new.

You don't just come up with that many laws if there wasn't some pressure from the public and private industry. Also...I meant trade laws in general, not just pertaining to cars.

link please, i'd like to read it myself.

I actually tried to look for it real quick on the net before I made my original post, but it didn't come up. It might be there on the net, but the couple combinations of words that I thought would bring it up, didn't.

I just remember reading at the time it was happening. My memory is foggy as to the exact year, but I wanna say somewhere between 1980-84. So around 30 years ago. It may be too old....or.... has never been put on the net to find yet...or....I simply need to search harder for it. My dad was a photographer at the time and he handed me the article on it.

I just remember being pissed after I read it cuz I felt America was allowing all these Japanese products on our shelves yet they were fighting American companies products every step of the way.

lol...if you're talking about nationalism, don't go further than the U.S. if the U.S. could make people buy "made in U.S." products, it would...of course that would be unconstitutional and American products don't last as long in general. otherwise, i've seen plenty of effort here as well.

Depends on the product when it comes to them lasting long. And no... we wouldn't force "buy American". We are the country that has made free trade agreements instead of instituting protectionist policies.

Veteran
    This racism thread derailing effort on the behalf of a few members is not going to change the fact the Japanese recognize the better product. If some people could get bigotry out of their psyche, they would see the Japanese, above all things, appreciate quality highly and that is usually their biggest motivator for their purchases. They sell a ton of Mecedes Benz in Japan, Buicks not so much. The XBone is the equivalent of a Buick to the Japanese.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

6. Likes victorijapoosp , Shingo , Omar likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Japanese will spend hundreds of (USD) on American jeans. It is also common for the upper class to spend thousands to import an American SUV. They listen to a lot of our music and watch our movies. In short, the Japanese as a whole, have absolutely no problem buying American products. This whole perception that due to "nationalism" the Japanese won't buy XBox is just absurd.

8. Likes Shingo , MartyRules, Omar likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Japanese will spend hundreds of (USD) on American jeans. It is also common for the upper class to spend thousands to import an American SUV. They listen to a lot of our music and watch our movies. In short, the Japanese as a whole, have absolutely no problem buying American products. This whole perception that due to "nationalism" the Japanese won't buy XBox is just absurd.
    Yeah, its always Xbox fans that make that claim in order to rationalise the Xbox brands utter failure in that territory.

PSN ID
    kidhero99
    PS2 resurgance

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Lol calling japanese nationalist? they have a diffrent taste, calling this nationalist is plain wrong. I guess nowadays picking RPG over FPS is a crime.
    Sure seems like it

Super Elite
    I bet they sell numbers like that in Europe as well I'm feeling ambitious to put on my stab proof vest as well.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Ancient
    1 mill huh, apparently there 2 mill for US alone according to patcher

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Great to hear that the traction is still there for a home based console. I think what is pulling them closer to this console is the ability to stream games to Vita on the go. It will work in Japan very well, and its also picking up steam for me also. I do see the Vita in my sites because of the PS4.

Thread Information