Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    Well, if you want to get technical, by comparison, he might as well be dante. the Roman Shield was not created to function that way....more so, it was heavy as ****. you wouldn't see a man swinging that around at all.

Roman shield was created to complement the strict roman formations. it created a wall for the opposing force. more to the point the gladius wasn't a slashing sword, it was used to stab....which is why its short and straight (look to the arabs for slashing swords)

The wall would stop the enemy charge, and the romans used the gladius to stab the man attacking the buddy beside him (as reaching over the shield was infeasible) - thats the skinny of it at least, i miagine it seldom went down exactly like that. but the roman formation was the backbone for their prowess.

for the most part, im relatively indifferent to the butchering of the source material. The romans are long since dead for me to care. however, the story for this game needs to be something special.

From what i've seen, it has potential. i LOVED the implementation of the testudo that they showed at E3, hopefully its not an isolated case and there are other instances where one could exploit the strategy again.

And i actually hope as a praetorian, you actually get to lead a few raids with your men. kinda defeats teh purpose of giving teh player that role if he's a glorified grunt....
    It all depends. They had different types swords and shields back then. The way he uses it doesn't take away from the realism for me though because shields were used for attacking as well as defense too.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    It all depends. They had different types swords and shields back then. The way he uses it doesn't take away from the realism for me though because shields were used for attacking as well as defense too.
    that's a misconception. Romans only carried one shield, however, in transport, the shield would be protected by a cover, giving the impression that there are multiple shields.

Its unlikely they carried anything that would facilitate lone wolf fighting. the roman legions strength lay in their rigid formations that were complimented by the equipment they fought with. (Gladius, Pila, Scutum)

as such, they didn't fight the person attacking them. they attacked the person attacking their buddy. though this i imagine only stretched so far into a conflict.

but as a praetorian, he'd carry the same thing every other legionnaire beside him would carry. he's a part of one unit after all.

but the roman shields weren't used for attacking. why stab with a heavy shield when you can stab with a lightweight pointy sword?
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Superior Member
    This is a game I would buy an XBox One for. Beautiful!
    "Bigfoot is blurry, that is the problem...it is not the photographers fault...Bigfoot is blurry and that is extra scary to me because there is an extra large out-of-focus creature roaming the countryside....Run he's fuzzy, get out of here" ~ Mitch Hedburg, RIP you crazy fool

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Looks like a game you would pick up during the quiet months of the gaming calendar.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    that's a misconception. Romans only carried one shield, however, in transport, the shield would be protected by a cover, giving the impression that there are multiple shields.

Its unlikely they carried anything that would facilitate lone wolf fighting. the roman legions strength lay in their rigid formations that were complimented by the equipment they fought with. (Gladius, Pila, Scutum)

as such, they didn't fight the person attacking them. they attacked the person attacking their buddy. though this i imagine only stretched so far into a conflict.

but as a praetorian, he'd carry the same thing every other legionnaire beside him would carry. he's a part of one unit after all.

but the roman shields weren't used for attacking. why stab with a heavy shield when you can stab with a lightweight pointy sword?
    It all depended on the the type of battle the movements. Romans also had different infantry tactics. Just because a sword is used for attack doesn't mean it can't be used in defense. Same with a shield. I understand what they are intended for, but realistically the shield had to of been used for more. History says they used to use them to smash a arm or leg in battle or use to to ram their enemies. Even in the movie 300 leonidas used his in such a way.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 10-05-2013 at 22:05.

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Power Member
    Items User name style

They did actually do some research.
    I'm no roman expert but a cursory glance at Wikipedia would suggest they used it to fight as well.

The Scutum is light enough to be held in one hand and its large height and width covered the entire wielder, making him very unlikely to get hit by missile fire and in hand-to-hand combat. The metal boss, or umbo, in the center of the scutum also made it an auxiliary punching weapon as well.
    Last edited by mynd; 10-06-2013 at 04:15.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    mynd can prolly provide more detail, but i doubt many games will ever have that feature. "grass" or foliage in games is simply a polygon with a texture of 8 or so blades of grass stuck on it. as such, each individual blade cannot deform freely. the entire polygon must animate which requires all 8 blades moving at the same time.
    It can be done

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    It can be done

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Really depends how much effort is put into the individual blades.
    By in large you'd do them in clumps.

eg

http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPU...chapter01.html

But I have seen methods where the nearest foliage is broken down further to facilitate "parting".
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    It all depended on the the type of battle the movements. Romans also had different infantry tactics. Just because a sword is used for attack doesn't mean it can't be used in defense. Same with a shield. I understand what they are intended for, but realistically the shield had to of been used for more. History says they used to use them to smash a arm or leg in battle or use to to ram their enemies. Even in the movie 300 leonidas used his in such a way.
    I was referencing the Scutum specifically...the shield in use in the game.

Leonidas was Greek. The Romans were Italian. Very different credo's. The greeks primarily used a phalanx, which is what you saw in the movie...for the most part.

There is a reason the shields look the way they do. Greeks went with a more agile infantry. Romans went for a more armoured infantry. A round shield is easier to manoeuvre with. A rectangle one is not.

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    They did actually do some research.
    Im no roman expert but a cusory glance at Wikipedia would suggets they used it to fight as well.
    in war, a flip-flop would get used as a weapon. naturally, because i critique the aesthetic (i did clarify my stance already) it doesn't mean i don't accept the direction they've chosen. i also stated the understanding of the formations eventual breakdown.

the shield in the game comes across as looking like a piece of cardboard when its wielded around like that. that's why i originally brought it up. If the artists choose to enforce their artistic licence then so be it. if it fits their game world, it fits their game world
    Hell, uncharted has drake supporting his 90 odd Kg frame with naught but the tips of his fingers.

I understand the need to implement that 'flair' into the game. i just wish they didn't butcher what its being based on.....don't get me started on how ridiculously stupid the armour looks

P.S, please take into account the parts where i actually praise the game...otherwise i come across as sounding very negative, i simply like the roman aesthetic and doctrine is all
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Power Member
    Items User name style
    I was referencing the Scutum specifically...the shield in use in the game.

Leonidas was Greek. The Romans were Italian. Very different credo's. The greeks primarily used a phalanx, which is what you saw in the movie...for the most part.

There is a reason the shields look the way they do. Greeks went with a more agile infantry. Romans went for a more armoured infantry. A round shield is easier to manoeuvre with. A rectangle one is not.

in war, a flip-flop would get used as a weapon. naturally, because i critique the aesthetic (i did clarify my stance already) it doesn't mean i don't accept the direction they've chosen. i also stated the understanding of the formations eventual breakdown.

the shield in the game comes across as looking like a piece of cardboard when its wielded around like that. that's why i originally brought it up. If the artists choose to enforce their artistic licence then so be it. if it fits their game world, it fits their game world
    Hell, uncharted has drake supporting his 90 odd Kg frame with naught but the tips of his fingers.

I understand the need to implement that 'flair' into the game. i just wish they didn't butcher what its being based on.....don't get me started on how ridiculously stupid the armour looks

P.S, please take into account the parts where i actually praise the game...otherwise i come across as sounding very negative, i simply like the roman aesthetic and doctrine is all
    Butchering roman history is the standard these days, look at Spartacus

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Butchering roman history is the standard these days, look at Spartacus
    yeah, but Spartacus had Xena, and Xena is hot!

Ryse is currently minus one Xena, thus lacking in quality obviously

Xena = forgiveness of any transgression
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Power Member
    Items User name style
    yeah, but Spartacus had Xena, and Xena is hot!

Ryse is currently minus one Xena, thus lacking in quality obviously

Xena = forgiveness of any transgression
    It could well be what Ryse needs is more naked New Zealand woman, this is true.

Superior Member
    It's a shame Euclideon ended up just making really nice 3D city scapes.

http://www.euclideon.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    It's a shame Euclideon ended up just making really nice 3D city scapes.

http://www.euclideon.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4
    Thats a bit left field, but I think we all knew it was too good to be true, many felt it was a con.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    I liked what u saw of this game at first, slowly the more I saw, the more I disliked it and the latest video's I've seen look bloody boring.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Forum Elder

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    It could well be what Ryse needs is more naked New Zealand woman, this is true.
    there's nakedness but not from women. Watch the guy falling from the arrow that's near the screen before the gif ends

Thread Information