Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

Say what you will about GameStop

...but if you know how to work their system....you can get some awesome deals.

So I got my Vita, but like everyone else I'm pissed about memory card prices. The 4GB card that is included is filled to the rim with Uncharted, but it would be nice to take try out the PS+ games and the free Walking Dead download that came with the game.

So need new card. 16gb should do....looking up price.....FORTY BUCKS?!? Opens wallet....I got $20. crap.

So I look up the price of a used one at Gamestop. $35....still can't afford it. Ok...log into my Powerup Rewards account and I see that I have about 20,000 points. Hey look....$10 coupon costs 10,000 points. Buy....print coupon. I grab three crappy games off my shelf that have been collecting dust and head to the store with my $20, games, and coupon. I get 10% off the memory with the power up card. I get 10% bonus on trade value as well. Long story, short (too late?), I walk out of the store with the 16gb memory card AND my $20. All it cost me was 10,000 points and three games I didn't want anyway.

So now along with Uncharted, I've got Walking Dead, Gravity Rush, Lumines.....and 10gb to spare. Vita heaven!
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

2. Likes Demi_God , Admartian , Ghost likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Never shop in it anymore... So have no opinion
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Now if only Canadian Gamestops had Powerup Rewards so I could get things a bit cheaper.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    Never shop in it anymore... So have no opinion
    Then why did you post? Just cause its a thread doesnt mean you have to post you know.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post

So I got my Vita, but like everyone else I'm pissed about memory card prices. The 4GB card that is included is filled to the rim with Uncharted, but it would be nice to take try out the PS+ games and the free Walking Dead download that came with the game.

So need new card. 16gb should do....looking up price.....FORTY BUCKS?!? Opens wallet....I got $20. crap.

So I look up the price of a used one at Gamestop. $35....still can't afford it. Ok...log into my Powerup Rewards account and I see that I have about 20,000 points. Hey look....$10 coupon costs 10,000 points. Buy....print coupon. I grab three crappy games off my shelf that have been collecting dust and head to the store with my $20, games, and coupon. I get 10% off the memory with the power up card. I get 10% bonus on trade value as well. Long story, short (too late?), I walk out of the store with the 16gb memory card AND my $20. All it cost me was 10,000 points and three games I didn't want anyway.

So now along with Uncharted, I've got Walking Dead, Gravity Rush, Lumines.....and 10gb to spare. Vita heaven!
    I can always get better deals via Amazon, or elsewhere online, but...

I enjoy going in and chatting with the guys that work there. They are pretty down to Earth and are always having a good time while working. One guy is a pokemon fanatic, and he always holds a "Meeting" with my kids lol. It's priceless. They could sit there and talk for hours about Pokemon. He's given them posters, tips, the legendary pokemon in the game. My kids ask me at least twice a week if they can go up there. When they treat customers more than a sale, they earn my respect and business. I pre-ordered some games that my kids want, X/Y for starters. My daughters, 12 yrs old, will be going to their first midnight launch for those two games. They are super excited. They don't get into all the negative stuff said about Gamestop as a company. They really like going there and making friends and talking about games. That's what it's all about.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim

Yep, and that's how they get people. You think you got a awesome deal but you really didn't.

Elite Guru
    Though he did get a deal he was happy with, and one he agreed to of his own free will.

I've never understood the argument of 'how they get people'. There's no hidden terms here, it's all pretty up-front. If anybody wants to sell something for less than it's worth, that's up to them. It's almost like people have no agency.

8. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Yep, and that's how they get people. You think you got a awesome deal but you really didn't.
    I don't see how he didn't get a good deal.

10. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    yea, it's not horrible if you do not know the art of selling/buying on Ebay.

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Know the art....and the hassle. Sometimes quick and easy is better versus time and effort.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Forum Overseer
    ebay can be a hassle but the way i do it, it's minimal. i still agree with you though.

i look up what the games are going for (buy-it-now prices), then i undercut the competition slightly. put down the correct description of the game as in what condition it's in. then it usually sells within hours or a day, 2 day max.

then ebay lets me print out a label for about $2. all i have to do it put it in an envelope, put the label on and put it in my apartment's mailbox. lots of steps but you get used to it. also i do it for multiple games at once sometimes. makes it easier.

i pretty much get to sell it for about the same price i bought it for this way though.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Now if only Canadian Gamestops had Powerup Rewards so I could get things a bit cheaper.. lol

Then why did you post? Just cause its a thread doesnt mean you have to post you know.
    canada has gamestop?

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dj- View Post
    canada has gamestop?
    lol yes

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    ...but if you know how to work their system....you can get some awesome deals. So I got my Vita, but like everyone else I'm pissed about memory card prices. The 4GB card that is included is filled to the rim with Uncharted, but it would be nice to take try out the PS+ games and the free Walking Dead download that came with the game. So need new card. 16gb should do....looking up price.....FORTY BUCKS?!? Opens wallet....I got $20. crap. So I look up the price of a used one at Gamestop. $35....still can't afford it. Ok...log into my Powerup Rewards account and I see that I have about 20,000 points. Hey look....$10 coupon costs 10,000 points. Buy....print coupon. I grab three crappy games off my shelf that have been collecting dust and head to the store with my $20, games, and coupon. I get 10% off the memory with the power up card. I get 10% bonus on trade value as well. Long story, short (too late?), I walk out of the store with the 16gb memory card AND my $20. All it cost me was 10,000 points and three games I didn't want anyway. So now along with Uncharted, I've got Walking Dead, Gravity Rush, Lumines.....and 10gb to spare. Vita heaven!
    Totally agree. I work their system to a science and have recieved some awesome deals as a result.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    My friend generated enough points to get a 3ds, so that was cool. Gamestop is great as long as you don't use it for their newer used games because that's just a scheme GS using to generate an insane amount of profit, 5 dollars less with none of the features and developers don't see a dime? It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't shove used games down people with out the pros and cons. I use gs for all my new game needs and their midnight releases are fun, ps4 in one more month!

Selling on ebay sucks now, so many fees now and the cut ebay and Paypal get is ridicules. Also I use to sell quite alot on there, but started getting ripped off so I stopped, how in favor they are in for the buyer vs the seller sucks. As soon as someone would receive my item they would just dispute it, I had proof and statements from various others that were getting duped by the same guys and the buys would win 100% of the time despite me proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the buyers were screwing around to gain free products.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyRules View Post
    My friend generated enough points to get a 3ds, so that was cool. Gamestop is great as long as you don't use it for their newer used games because that's just a scheme GS using to generate an insane amount of profit, 5 dollars less with none of the features and developers don't see a dime? It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't shove used games down people with out the pros and cons. I use gs for all my new game needs and their midnight releases are fun, ps4 in one more month!

Selling on ebay sucks now, so many fees now and the cut ebay and Paypal get is ridicules. Also I use to sell quite alot on there, but started getting ripped off so I stopped, how in favor they are in for the buyer vs the seller sucks. As soon as someone would receive my item they would just dispute it, I had proof and statements from various others that were getting duped by the same guys and the buys would win 100% of the time despite me proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the buyers were screwing around to gain free products.
    Tell those developers to fork over some money to buy the games back, and then they can resell them all they want.

19. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Tell those developers to fork over some money to buy the games back, and then they can resell them all they want.
    It's awesome how people forget this. Don't hear nobody crying for me that now I'm going to lose Socom: Confrontation Online when I paid $63.59. They're just going to kill the servers to an ONLINE ONLY game. where's my come-up?!

But to stay on topic, Gamestop has its uses. I don't buy too many games anymore so I don't deal with them that often. I think I've racked up 20,000 points total over 3 or 4 years lol.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Veteran
    Used to despise Gamestop but over the last 2 years I've been going there more often because of some of their trade in offers and the power rewards system amongst other things..

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Here EB Games does a 7 day money back refund (provided receipt is present) and price-matching. The best way we can combat our increased game prices.

PLus depending of your EB world membership, you get percentages towards your trade in value.
    I am the oncoming storm.

23. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanGT View Post
    Used to despise Gamestop but over the last 2 years I've been going there more often because of some of their trade in offers and the power rewards system amongst other things..
    probably due to all the flack they got, i.e. this thread lol.

Veteran
    probably due to all the flack they got, i.e. this thread lol.

They still give next to nothing for trade ins but I was in there yesterday and they have some nice deals going on like buy 2 pre owned games get 1 free and buy 2 games for only $10 ... really good games too.. ps3, 360, etc.

Forum Overseer
    yea i noticed that some of their trade-ins can easily be exploited.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    thats cool rewards. I don't use EB games much, only for pre orders (because they are the most reliable here), I have a PS4 and like 6 other games on order there but I always price match cheaper stores.

We have a 'level up' system, but it doesnt seem to do much aside from give you a little bonus credit when you trade games in... which I dont. but if i got points for spending that would be cool. I'd still only spend there if things were on sale or i price match though lol

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    They still give next to nothing for trade ins but I was in there yesterday and they have some nice deals going on like buy 2 pre owned games get 1 free and buy 2 games for only $10 ... really good games too.. ps3, 360, etc.
    I am so jealous of these sales. I see so many people on reddit and stuff take advantage of this for super mario galaxy + metroid trilogy+ xenoblade. crazy

I jump when they have the buy 2 get 1 free sales. I go in with a newer game in mind that I want and then find two other games at the same price (or close to it since you get the cheaper one free) that I don't really care about. The two I don't care about go on eBay or Amazon. In the end, I end up paying under $20 for a $60 game....after fees and all.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    My GameStop is full of some of he nicest folks around, they have yet to try and bull$#@! me into preordering or what have you. Which Im thankful for.. that was so annoying elsewhere lol

Quote Originally Posted by -Dj- View Post
    canada has gamestop?
    Of course we do. Though most are called EBgames. (They merged in 2005-ish)

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

31. Likes Christopher likes this post

Thread Information