Latest PSU headlines:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 6
    Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    F34R, you're usually more paranoid than me in this sort of stuff. you know they're just bullshitting you. i didn't believe this until recently. Ads are the biggest thing MS is going for this generation. i know that sounds sensationalist but truly, i feel like this is one of the biggest undertakings of this generation by them.

when a head of some team or division says, "I'm not aware" that usually means, "i don't want to say anything". what kind of a dummy wouldn't be aware of what's going on with stuff he's supposed to be overlooking...especially if he's answering for it, he should know.

read my quote, he just said right there that if you allow them to collect data from Kinect then they will. now that could just be what they were saying about the sign-in thing but those are all just clever ways to omit what they don't want to tell you.

hmm, so the log-in recognizes you. could be used in many things once the console knows who you are. it personally knows your needs, it's going to be more specific to how you are as a person. but of course, if we don't allow them to use all this data then they can't use it right? history tells us that you can cleverly hide these things into the TOC. Don't forget what FB did. People had to file a class action law suit in order to make FB tell us up front what they were doing with our information.

just my intuition, we'll see as it unfolds but i'm starting to believe kinect is going to be a tool for them to know more about you, and the way kinect is doing it, its accuracy and supposedly the detail in which the data can be collected, has never really been done before and it will mean millions if not billions in revenues.

this is why they don't care about anything else for the moment, they are sitting on a gold mine.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Oh I know. That's why I posted that quote from ng. lol

I believe they will do something with the data they collect.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Mainstream News sites are now picking this up.... ouch...

Time

“Unless you choose to allow us to do so.” Behavioral advertising vis-a-vis Kinect is on the table, in other words, it’s just not going to be mandatory. None of this is new, by the way. Microsoft’s been saying as much since it announced Xbox One back in May: that the company won’t collect or share your information with third parties unless you allow it to — but that it might well allow you to, implying the architecture to do so is there, not sitting untouched on some dusty shelf in the idea-space of someone’s mind.

Opt-in? Opt-out? No one knows at this point. I’d hope opt-in, given that we’re talking about a living room camera Microsoft claims can monitor everything from your heart rate to muscle torque as you react to stimuli. No one should have to opt out of behavioral tracking, and if that means no one opts in, so be it.

NBC news
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    Mainstream News sites are now picking this up.... ouch... Time NBC news
    Wow. Thats not good.

Extreme Poster
    well i already said that above so i should be the one getting hits.

where's my internet money?

Ultimate Veteran
    The big question is this.. Even if you opt out of the NuAd stuff, does that mean that you are opting out of having your data collected? No one seems to be asking that and the answers we are getting are already murky as it is.

Extreme Poster
    interesting question. we'll have to see what it's going to be about because it is possible to opt-out of the info being "used" but to still be "collected" in case you do opt-in to have it "used" at some point in the future. until then, they can just say that X1 needs that info to do its own thing. sometimes it's good that a company isn't as capable (Sony/Nintendo).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    The big question is this.. Even if you opt out of the NuAd stuff, does that mean that you are opting out of having your data collected? No one seems to be asking that and the answers we are getting are already murky as it is.

Apprentice

This guy sums it up pretty well

Http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oIXWEuJ2Wfg

If the link doesn't work just go to YouTube and look on alphaomegasin for a video called 'XBOX ONE Will Collect Users Kinect Data to Sell to Advertisers'

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Here's the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olXWEuJ2Wfg

I wouldn't embed that thing on here. The only good thing about that video was the 8-bit representative of him in the intro. He doesn't sum it up pretty well. He puts the tinfoil hat on and rips away.

I don't get the tinfoil hat comments in this thread, the simple fact is that they're a big company and if they can sell your data they will. Google does it, facebook does and so on. If kinect can recognise faces it can recognise the logo on the can of drink in your hand. It's not paranoia it's common sense.
    Whether you can unplug the thing or put tape over the lens or not, they still shouldn't be trying to do it.
    Oh, and they're going to be collecting data on you through the web browser should you use it anyway a la chrome.
    I personally think this sort of thing should be illegal, it's not "market research" it's espionage. If you want to do actual market research, ask me to fill out a survey and if I say no, tough.
    WOOF! WOOF!

Extreme Poster
    it's a nasty part of the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by lord flasheart View Post
    I don't get the tinfoil hat comments in this thread, the simple fact is that they're a big company and if they can sell your data they will. Google does it, facebook does and so on. If kinect can recognise faces it can recognise the logo on the can of drink in your hand. It's not paranoia it's common sense.
    Whether you can unplug the thing or put tape over the lens or not, they still shouldn't be trying to do it.
    Oh, and they're going to be collecting data on you through the web browser should you use it anyway a la chrome.
    I personally think this sort of thing should be illegal, it's not "market research" it's espionage. If you want to do actual market research, ask me to fill out a survey and if I say no, tough.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by lord flasheart View Post
    My comment was because of all the assumptions he made. It was/is a little absurd the way he addressed it.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    My comment was because of all the assumptions he made. It was/is a little absurd the way he addressed it.
    fair enough.
    WOOF! WOOF!

Extreme Poster
    what assumptions? I listened to most of it but i can't think of anything that's not possible out of this.

can they do this on all devices? yes, that is the biggest reason for having the three OSs.

are they going to make money off this? yes, that's probably why they haven't been giving $#@! about market share because that's a difficult uphill battle. this is easy money. as long as they keep a decent amount of games to keep the gamers attracted, they can make this ad stuff work and make billions.

if allowed and it works, it will make MS richer than we ever imagined, at the cost of privacy of millions of people around the world but mostly affecting americans/europeans/japanese.

they went to the convention, what else do we need as proof that they will do this? when i say that they will have struck gold here, i'm not just making this up, there's so much money in it. this is the reason FB makes billions, ads are the biggest thing about social media and social media has changed the way this world is.

this is the next big thing. everyone wants a piece of the pie. screw motion controls, that wasn't the point of kinect.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post

15. Likes Lefein likes this post
    Super Elite
    I remember watching a documentary with Richard Stallman on Russia Today and he was saying that even Windows is back door software.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Thread Information