Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Is PS4 SATA 3?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by IWAO View Post
    SATA 3? How many TB's can a SATA 3 HDD handle? 2 TB's? 3 TB's?
    SATA 3 doesn't determine how TB's a hard drive can hold, but the drive size does...if you have a 3.5" drive you can go up to 4TB, but the PS4 will be using a 2.5" (probably 9.5mm thick) drive, which you limit on that is 1TB at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    If that is indeed the location, based on USB dimensions, it would look to support no more than 7mm tall drives.

If this does limit it to 7mm as it looks like it would, then personally I hope you're wrong.

Looking at the overall design, it has to have some sort of slide off shell design. On the backside there are multiple cover up points that I'd assume have screws (torx probably) which fixes the top to a main chasis. Pull the screws, slide the top(middle section looks to be part of the top) forward and then lift off.

Note from this picture and others, you can see about a fingernail worth of gap just below the middle section (look on the left side where the light can come through.) Also, note that ALL of the peripheral components are on the top side portion allowing for a ribbon cable connection to this portion while keeping mainboard and and power on the bottom side.

That said, I have no proof, just my thoughts on it based on the pics that are available.

I will digitally measure it tonight, but I am pretty sure you can get a 9.5mm drive in there between that gap, I know for sure the 15mm is out though! To me it looks like the 9.5mm would fit snug in there like it was meant to be!
    Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 10-09-2013 at 20:51.

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by IWAO View Post
    SATA 3? How many TB's can a SATA 3 HDD handle? 2 TB's? 3 TB's?
    All SATA standards support 48-LBA. Which will give 256 Tera Sectors that can be mapped. If the sector size is 512B, then that's 128 PetaBytes. In other words, we won't be hitting the limitation in the PS4's life time. It took us almost 20yrs to go from the GigaByte to TeraByte drives. Expect another 15-20yrs minimum before we reach PetaByte sized drives. Please note that this is in reference to consumer grade drive sizes.

Unlike the screw-ups in the past when WD created the LBA standard in 1994 and was short sited and set it at 22bit LBA, then later moved to 28bit LBA both which ran out of space quickly there after, this time the gave a very large jump to 48bit LBA standard (that was in 2003 when it was adopted by ATA standards.)

If there's any limitations it will be on the Formatting and/or OS side not the drive side or which SATA standard is used.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Good news TAZ! I just digitally measured it! I measured a high res photo of the PS4 and it came out that ever 4.5 pixels = 1mm, and if you times 4.5 x 9.5 = 43 pixels, which was the exact spacing between the two sections!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I will digitally measure it tonight, but I am pretty sure you can get a 9.5mm drive in there between that gap, I know for sure the 15mm is out though! To me it looks like the 9.5mm would fit snug in there like it was meant to be!
    I just did it, blowing it up on screen on a straight on from front view. Measuring top to bottom of central foot looking item at 45.5cm. The actual height being 52mm, so a multiplier of 1.143 to convert the measured cm's into mm's. To confirm this I measured the inside to side of the USB which has an industry standard of 5.1mm, I had it at 4.5cm which hits it pretty good at 5.14mm. Then I measured the gap, at 7.25cm -> 8.28mm gap. That's not big enough for a 9.5mm drive. It's slightly larger than my eyeballing it from pictures but when putting the ruler and math to it. Nope. So I hope you're wrong about that possibly being the HDD slot.

Also, note that out of all the PS4 images I've looked at, only that one you've shown (I've seen it multiple times and Sony even has it up on the website) shows me anything that looks like it could be a cover for a HDD. I think it may have just been optics playing with us on that image (I hope so.)

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Good news TAZ! I just digitally measured it! I measured a high res photo of the PS4 and it came out that ever 4.5 pixels = 1mm, and if you times 4.5 x 9.5 = 43 pixels, which was the exact spacing between the two sections!
    Make sure you get the full height, as that's what the 52mm is based on (including standoff feet) also measure the inside of the USB ports which are 5.1mm exact. We're getting different measurements.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Make sure you get the full height, as that's what the 52mm is based on (including standoff feet) also measure the inside of the USB ports which are 5.1mm exact. We're getting different measurements.
    Actually the dimensions I am basing it off of are from here (which are approx measurements):

It says that it excludes the largest projection (aka, standoff feet), try using the below image and see what you come up with:

The image is 240 pixels thick, which 240/53 = 4.528 pixels for 1mm, so 4.528 x 9.5 = 43.016 (pixels), which is the gap between the two sections!
    Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 10-09-2013 at 21:25.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    The problem with that image is that it cuts off the stand off feet, even this image shows a physical gab and the bottom button stick down below the bottom of the case. The 'Excludes largest projection' is a bit vague, why would they use the term largest projection. It also still doesn't explain the fact that my measurements w/ the USB inside dimensions being 5.1mm exact puts gives the same ratio that I used for finding the gap.

I did measurements from both of these images and came up /w 8.28mm on one and 8.5mm on the other. Let's say it's 53mm instead of 52mm that's still 8.44mm - 8.66mm. Let's average that off to 8.55mm.

EDIT: I measured again using 53mm height, and only including case height (no standoffs) and came up w/ 8.79mm and 8.95mm. You're image is shaved at the top.
    Last edited by TAZ427; 10-09-2013 at 21:50.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    The problem with that image is that it cuts off the stand off feet, even this image shows a physical gab and the bottom button stick down below the bottom of the case.

I did measurements from both of these images and came up /w 8.28mm on one and 8.5mm on the other. Let's say it's 53mm instead of 52mm that's still 8.44mm - 8.66mm. Let's average that off to 8.55mm.

But the sheet with the dimensions says that it excludes the largest projection, which are the feet. I didn't use those images that you had because with the shadow it throws it off a bit and it looks like it might have been at a slight angle. Try this image below, this is the one that I used from my calculations:

Just measure the actual flat side of the top, to the flat side of the bottom, excluding the feet and the button, which wouldn't be considered in that 53mm measurement. If you want more images, below is the link that I got mine from:

http://www.sonyrumors.net/2013/06/12...image-gallery/

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    LOL, Ok the optics are F'ng with me here. That image does give me 9.5mm, while the previous two which I pulled from us.playstation.com gives me the 8.79mm and 8.95mm. The biggest problem I have now is that only the 1st one I showed and used (which gives me 8.79mm when using 53mm and no feet - just chsasis measurements) is also the only one that has a clear enough image of the USB port to be able to measure the inside dimensions which is a known standard value of 5.1mm.

Anyway, there's no point in arguing, we won't know for certain until either launch or Sony lets us know.

10. Likes MonkeyClaw wishes they had posted this first.
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Is the gap even wide enough, I know you guys measured height but to me it looks not even 2.5 inch wide.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    DynamicSun
    SATA 3 doesn't determine how TB's a hard drive can hold, but the drive size does...if you have a 3.5" drive you can go up to 4TB, but the PS4 will be using a 2.5" (probably 9.5mm thick) drive, which you limit on that is 1TB at the moment.

Damn... Well I hope that 1 TB will be enough. :/

Mm..waffles..
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    We'll if one is desperate for space, you can always use an external raid, make the worlds first 48TB PS4 and see if you can fit the whole store in it. lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Is the gap even wide enough, I know you guys measured height but to me it looks not even 2.5 inch wide.
    We measured the gap, that is what is coming out at exactly 9.5mm, so I am pretty confident it will be that drive size, but like TAZ said, until Sony actually announces it or until the console comes out we will just be guessing at this point!

15. Likes TAZ427 wishes they had posted this first.
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    We measured the gap, that is what is coming out at exactly 9.5mm, so I am pretty confident it will be that drive size, but like TAZ said, until Sony actually announces it or until the console comes out we will just be guessing at this point!
    I think he meant on the Horizontal to be able to shoehorn in 2.5" width of the HDD.

And yes I measured it, it's a little bit over 2.5" from just to the right of the SS USB symbol to the edge of the central part of the case.

PSN ID
    MiniMadness86
    I don't see the big hurry in needing this info?? Instead of hurting your brains sit back, chill and wait you ain't gonna run out of space in first week or 2 ay

And won't swapping HDD void your warranty for all we know we could get a ylod wave :/ touch wood we don't though

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Carla_Birch-USA
    If its like PS3 and all signs say it is, then swapping out the HDD does not effect the systems warranty, this is why its made easy to do and it gives a step by step in the owners book on how to do it.

PSN ID
    MiniMadness86
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Birch View Post
    If its like PS3 and all signs say it is, then swapping out the HDD does not effect the systems warranty, this is why its made easy to do and it gives a step by step in the owners book on how to do it.
    Never knew that learn something new everyday

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMadness86 View Post
    Never knew that learn something new everyday
    I'm hoping to find some unofficial space inside to use, lol.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMadness86 View Post
    I don't see the big hurry in needing this info?? Instead of hurting your brains sit back, chill and wait you ain't gonna run out of space in first week or 2 ay

And won't swapping HDD void your warranty for all we know we could get a ylod wave :/ touch wood we don't though
    For those wanting to swap on Day one it's vital to know ahead of time.

Many folks want to do it day one because it's easier to do on day one as you don't have to worry about backing up your system (on possibly a FAT32 formatted drive which in and of itself is beyond many people - that is formatting a HDD to FAT32.) And some what to upgrade to SSHD or SSD drives for faster access from day one.

I personally can wait but I still want the information.

That said it's no more important to rack ones brain about this than anything else on the PS4 yet we're all doing it in many areas.

As to the second part about voiding ones warranty, as mentioned it was fully supported on the PS3, and it's already been stated by Sony to be fully supported on the PS4.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Can't wait for the official tear down that will happen on the 15th just a few short hours after US launch then we'll finally see what we're working with.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

23. Likes TAZ427, MonkeyClaw wishes they had posted this first.
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by chriharr View Post
    Can't wait for the official tear down that will happen on the 15th just a few short hours after US launch then we'll finally see what we're working with.
    Same here! I will be watching iFixit.com very closely as soon as the console releases! I am dying to see what the inside of the console look like!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    This is weird, but I'm actually about excited to find out how it opens up. I'm wondering if the way I described above (top and bottom separate at the bottom of the gap area) as being likely is in fact the way it opens. I'll be watching for tear-down vids too. I wonder if there will be any early amateur tear-downs.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    This is weird, but I'm actually about excited to find out how it opens up. I'm wondering if the way I described above (top and bottom separate at the bottom of the gap area) as being likely is in fact the way it opens. I'll be watching for tear-down vids too. I wonder if there will be any early amateur tear-downs.
    Judging by the screws I see in the back of the console, I bet once those are taken out the top and upper front of the case slide forward to reveal the guts, and then from there it is just a matter of remove each component as you go down further into the console, but this is all a S.W.A.G. on my part! I wish the GAME store in the UK that got the shell of the PS4 for display would open it up to find out!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Yeah, those are along the lines of my thoughts. I found my post on it.

Looking at the overall design, it has to have some sort of slide off shell design. On the backside there are multiple cover up points that I'd assume have screws (torx probably) which fixes the top to a main chasis. Pull the screws, slide the top(middle section looks to be part of the top) forward and then lift off.

Note from this picture and others, you can see about a fingernail worth of gap just below the middle section (look on the left side where the light can come through.) Also, note that ALL of the peripheral components are on the top side portion allowing for a ribbon cable connection to this portion while keeping mainboard and and power on the bottom side.

That said, I have no proof, just my thoughts on it based on the pics that are available.

28. Likes MonkeyClaw wishes they had posted this first.
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    I think you're pretty spot on with how it's gonna open up, there is no HDD bay this time round that's pretty obvious this time, it's gonna require people to slide the top panel off the system to reveal the HDD which is most likely sitting on the left side of the console( front on) behind the optical drive towards the back right of the system when looking at ports behind in a horizontal setting, I honestly believe the HDD will sit at the back near the optical drive this time that's what I'm betting on. if not at the back of the optical drive, slightly to the side of it at the front but it more than likely wont be anywhere near the USB ports at the front or the main component side (the USB port side) too much heat on that side, so it has to sit on the left side near the optical drive.... all speculation but I hope I'm right.

I don't think the HDD is going to be as simple to replace this time round, and I don't think the HDD will be limited to 9.5 mm drives, I actually believe that the HDD won't sit in the usual 9.5mm caddy, I think it will sit in a universal caddy that will support 12.5 and 15mm 2.5inch drives, that is what I'm honestly starting to think at this point.

Sony will not limit the storage to 1TB, this is a console we're going to be using for the next 7-8 years, it will have to support large capacity HDD's, the most I've seen a 9.5mm drive go up to at the moment (at least in Australia) is 1.5TB and that won't be enough by the second year, I'm honestly believing they will have something special waiting to be revealed under that panel.

given the weight of the console, it's quite possible that the console could feature a standard 3.5inch drive, but more than likely that won't be the case, as these drives are more susceptible to shock and failure so it's more than likely a laptop type drive.

can't wait to see what's been fooling us all this time.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Thread Information