Latest PSU headlines:

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim

IndieCade: 'Console exclusives serve no benefit,' says PlayStation exec

Speaking during a keynote address at this year's IndieCade, as reported on by Gamasutra, Boyes said that although exclusives could be used to boost hardware sales, locking games to a single platform serves no real benefit in the long run.

"Right now exclusives are just a way for [console makers] to brag louder," said Boyes.

"Nobody gains from exclusivity in perpetuity."

Sony owns thirteen fist-party studios, from Naughty Dog to Polyphony, which continually create exclusive exclusive content for PlayStation devices. It has also managed to negotiate with numerous indie studios, such as Jonathan Blow's Number None, to provide their games on PlayStation 4 before they emerge on Xbox One.

Boyes went on to suggest that multiplatform publishing is key to the success of a developer, and this is something Sony is encouraging.

"Developers now have the option to deliver on a huge number of platforms," he continued.

"We want developers to be successful."

Boyes appeared on stage during the Sony's E3 2013 conference to evangelise the platform holder's efforts to connect with indie developers. He also introduced a number of indie games that are making their console debuts on PS4. Although many of the titles revealed are appearing first on Sony's new console, they are also either already available on PC or scheduled to be released for PC and Xbox One.

The list includes Transistor, the next game from Bastion developer Supergiant Games; Klei Entertainment's Don't Starve; Tribute Games' Mercenary Kings; Octodad: Dadliest Catch from Young Horses, a studio comprised of DePaul University graduates and Switchblade Monkeys' Secret Ponchos.

Ragtag Studios' Ray's The Dead; Red Barrel's Outlast; from Oddworld: New N' Tasty from Oddworld Inhabitants; Galak-Z from 17-bit Games are also leading the indie charge on PS4.

Sony has confirmed a PS4 release date of November 15 in the US and November 29 in Europe. The console will be available in 32 countries this holiday priced at 349 / 399 / $399.
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com...ystation-exec/

While I see the point to this the Exclusives are the what make it all worth it. And indies especially tend to take that cake as well. Besides arent they the one who need to focus most on their craft rather than making sure things work across the board.
    Last edited by D3seeker; 10-08-2013 at 06:15.

Elite Guru
    Being an exclusive 3rd party this generation is a bad idea would be a more honest opinion. Putting all your eggs in one basket is a bad idea no matter how good it looks.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    you better add "for indie games" because some of ppl will not read the artice and will jump straight to conclusions

Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    yes they do, now shut up.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Smh the guy is talking specifically about INDIE games!

Thank you firesol

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Extreme Poster
    oh right, ok.

article should read: indie exclusives ...

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    He is talking from the Indy developer's perspective. Take heed of his audience, "Speaking during a keynote address at this year's IndieCade".

AKA for example The Witness is not a PS4 exclusive, It is an IP wholly owned by Jonathan Blow's own company, and he can release it on PC, PS4, iOS or Android where they can self publish and still own their IP.

So when developing a game Indies have choice, they can;

Publish the game on every platform on the planet if they choose.

Or publish on the easiest therefore cheapest dev platform AKA PC, then PS4, then where ever else they feel like. It's their choice. If they think they can develop on a platform where the financial benefit out weighs the effort required, they can do so while still retaiing ownership of the IP/brand with the freedom of staying true to their creative vision.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

8. Likes Omar likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Title tweaked

It will be nice I guess for the indies to get the results of their blood sweat and tears to all camps. I just hope they don't get stretch to pieces with so many avenues to choose

Dedicated Member
    Not true in the case of hardcore games. Many people out there buy a playstation simply for the unique exclusives they can't find elsewhere on pc or xbox. Exclusives are important.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    Being an exclusive 3rd party this generation is a bad idea would be a more honest opinion. Putting all your eggs in one basket is a bad idea no matter how good it looks.
    That depends on the perspective. The greater the risk the greater the reward.

Naughty Dog going with 3DO back on Way of the Warrior back in the Sega/Nintendo era, could have killed them, but it didn't.

It's been one of the most successful studio's and was independent for a long time before Sony acquired them. And they developed exclusively for a single console since day one.

Extreme Poster
    ND has been around since the days of 3DO? O_O

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    ND has been around since the days of 3DO? O_O
    Gotta go back further than that. They founded Naughty Dog in 1989 when they made Keef the Thief for Apple II and Comidor Amiga.

And the reality they go back longer than that (Andy and Jason - Naughty Dogs founders) first game developed and sold was on an Apple II way back in 1985 when they were teenagers. They didn't come up with the name Naughty Dog until they made Keef the Thief for Apple II and Comidor Amiga back in 1989.

Extreme Poster
    wow i guess it comes with my age and the fact that i immigrated here in 97. i only knew of them since ... Jak and then i realized they were the ones that made crash bandicoot. did not realize they were that old. i just always figured Sony went after newer devs.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    IGN has a history of Naughty Dog article.. its pretty interesting (Two parts, maybe three)

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    IGN has a history of Naughty Dog article.. its pretty interesting (Two parts, maybe three)
    Yeah, it's a great article (so far - I hope the rest is as good.) I knew the history back to Keef the thief, but I didn't know the history before that.

Thread Information