Latest PSU headlines:

Forum Sage

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Watch Dogs system requirements announced, specify 64-bit OS and minimum 6 GB of RAM

If Watch Dogs is to be believed, you can hack almost any electronic device in a city using nothing but a smart phone. First, though, you’ll need to run Watch Dogs, which is going to require something with significantly more power inside of it. Ubisoft have updated their digital store with the open world hacking game’s system requirements, and there are some surprises to be found in its recommended list of components.

Minimum

• Supported OS: Windows Vista SP2 64bit, Windows 7 SP1 64bit, Windows 8 64bit
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66Ghz or AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.0Ghz
    • RAM: 6 GB
    • Video Card: 1024 VRAM DirectX 11 with Shader Model 5.0 (see supported list)
    • Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card
    • This product supports 64-bit operating systems ONLY

Recommended

• Processor: Core i7 3770 @ 3.5Ghz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0Ghz
    • RAM: 8 GB
    • Video Card: 2048 VRAM DirectX 11 with Shader Model 5.0 or higher (see supported list)
    • Sound Card: Surround Sound 5.1 capable sound card
    • Supported Video Cards at Time of Release:
    • nVidia GeForce GTX460 or better, GT500, GT600, GT700 series;
    • AMD Radeon HD5850 or better, HD6000, HD7000, R7 and R9 series
    • Intel® Iris™ Pro HD 5200

The 64-bit OS requirement is somewhat restrictive, if increasingly commonplace. What really raises an eyebrow is that you’ll need 6GB of RAM just to hit the minimum suggestion. Steam’s hardware stats, an admittedly unreliable window into PC gaming hardware, suggests over 50% of its user-base are carrying 4GB or less. Not all of those will be machines specced to compete in the AAA gaming space, but even so, there are sure to be some users caught out.
    In case you want to confirm these specifications for yourself, let me take you through the process of navigating Ubisoft’s store.

1. Click here. If, through some seemingly random miracle, you are taken to the relevant page, then congratulations!
    2. Click the “read more” link towards the bottom, then scroll down, down, and down again until you reach the specifications.

In my experience, the odds of that working are slim. Here’s the alternative method:

1. Click here. Be told that you’ve been redirected to the store home page for your country, seemingly regardless of what country the link in question comes from.
    2. Idly wonder how it is possible that a distribution store from a major publisher is unable to handle a cross-country redirect to the same item.
    3. Click one of the roughly 372 possible versions of Watch Dogs, including, but not limited to, the Digital Special Edition, the Vigilante Edition, the Jerk In A Leather Jacket Edition, or the Oh God What Is This I Just Want To Buy The Damn Game Edition.
    4. Click for the PC version, assuming that edition even has a PC version.
    5. Click the “read more” link towards the bottom, then scroll down, down, and down again until you reach the specifications
    Source

Recommended settings don't look too bad really. Wonder why it needs 6GB of RAM though? Looking forward to this game

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'll try it out on my 6 yr old laptop to see if the years have beaten it lol. So far, I've not had a single game that wasn't playable on it.

c2d@2.9ghz
    8GB RAM
    8800GTS 1GB

My iMac, Asus G75, and PC will all handle it just nicely though.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Dayum, I'd like to know the space needed as well.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Dedicated Member
    What the hell is the Intel® Iris™ Pro HD 5200 doing in the recommended list? Surely that should be in the minimum spec group right?

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar View Post
    What the hell is the Intel® Iris™ Pro HD 5200 doing in the recommended list? Surely that should be in the minimum spec group right?
    http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support...s/4cp-p5200gfx

There ya go.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    lol yes I know what it is :P The Iris Pro is Intels first good attempt at integrated graphics, but speed wise it's really only posing a limited threat to mid/low cards and laptop graphics.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I'll try it out on my 6 yr old laptop to see if the years have beaten it lol. So far, I've not had a single game that wasn't playable on it.

c2d@2.9ghz
    8GB RAM
    8800GTS 1GB

My iMac, Asus G75, and PC will all handle it just nicely though.

The 8800GTS is only a DX10 card, isn't it? Unless i'm wrong I don't think anything lower than DX11 is supported

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    The 8800GTS is only a DX10 card, isn't it? Unless i'm wrong I don't think anything lower than DX11 is supported
    I thought DX11 is a superset of DX10 so DX 10 cards should work on DX 11 games.

EDIT

Its a superset of 10.1 and the 8800 cards are only 10 so now I am not sure it will work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX#DirectX_11

Does fears estimation of playable mean it starts and works just like the guys that program MAME?
    Last edited by keefy; 10-08-2013 at 15:53.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Forum Sage

Yeah I didn't think they would.

My general rule of thumb is that anything bellow 30FPS shouldn't be counted as playable. Running a came at a low resolution with a low choppy frame rate shouldn't count as 'playable'.

looking forward to this game though. Been one of my most anticipated titles since it was shown at E3 last year.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Yeah, if it can't get a decent picture with 30fps, then I don't consider it playable, even though it might actually be playable. lol

Forum Sage

Oh i agree you can play games when they running between 20-25fps but it just isn't enjoyable. Me and a friend last night were watching one of FrankieOnPCin1080p's videos of BF4 and even just watching it at 30fps due to YouTube made it look no where near as impressive as it was when I actually played it.

It's fair to say high end PC gaming has turned me into a snob. Can't wait for the day until I can play at 2560x1440/1600. I heard it's such a big improvement over 1080p but I can't give up 120Hz. Once you go 120 it's really hard to go back.

Thread Information